Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-31-2006   #1
TexansAllTheWayBaby
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 TexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro BowlerTexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via AIM to TexansAllTheWayBaby
Arrow My Thoughts on win over Cleveland

Our Houston Texans defeated the Cleveland Browns 14-6 earlier today. Our final record on the season is 6-10 as a result.

It feels good to win another one. We have now won our first season finale in franchise history, put together consecutive wins for the first time in over 2 years and finished this season off very strongly. I'm proud of our guys, we battled all game today once again and played pretty well.

Let's talk about the offense first. Ronnie Dayne didnt see action today perhaps because of a slight turf toe issue and because we wanted to get a look at rookie Chris Taylor. Chris Taylor played very well for us today. He did a few nice things for us last week against Indianapolis and really played well for us today. He got 20 touches for nearly 100 yards. He's got alot of speed on him, picked up some yards after contact, did seem a little anxious once again which may be common with young backs and did put the ball on the ground once although we did recover. He just adds to our talent at the running back position and he looks like he has a bright future with us but I'll talk more aobut this in my post tomorrow.

In the passing game, not our best day but we did not play extremely poorly either. Carr made a few nice plays, a few key plays, the run where he picked up the first down in the 4th quarter out of the Shotgun is an example. He did however throw a pic in the 1st quarter however on a pass that was tipped. He did also leave some yards on the field. Overall in the passing game, not our best day obviously, but we made some key plays when we needed to, and we played good enough to get the win which is really all that matters.

That's really the story of the whole offense today. We certainly left some yards on the field, but we make some nice plays, a few key plays and played well enough to win obviously and thats all that matters.

Defensively today, a very good peformance. I'm so proud of these guys, they have really improved after those first 3 games of the season. Really improved. They're an aggresive unit that can get to the QB, they batten down and make plays when they need to and they're only going to get better. I credit Richard Smith greatly once again. He's done a tremendous job with this group in the transition from the 3-4 to the 4-3.

Again the aspect that continues to excite me is this defense is young. This defense will only get better and only continue to improve and we really have the potentail to be a top defense in the future, and again I'll talk more about this tomorrow.

Another thing I liked today is the way we tackled. We were hitting hard and bringing their guys down and thats another difference is this defense and the one from the past, they tackle much, much better. When a defender made contact with a Cleveland player today, he went down. Solid open-field tackling today, and thats great to see.

Most importantly, we forced turnovers today. Boy did we. A total of 3 turnovers our defense went and got and we really have improved from this aspect over the course of this year as well. The best one was probably Anthony Maddox stripping Frye and taking it to the house! Choo choo I think the cops were ready to give him a ticket for exceeding the city of Houston's speed limits, no but in all seriousness that was a hell of a play by that kid and he's played well all year. Morlon Greenwood also has a strip of Browns RB Reuben Droghouns when the Browns were on our side of the field in the first half of the game and C.C. Brown recovered so that was big. C.C. Brown also made the first turnover for our group of the day when the Browns were in the redzone by picking of Frye in the endzone and that was a key play.

Our defense is that ''bend but don't break'' style as I keep saying, you know they'll let you get down their but then sharpen up and make the key stops.

DeMeco Ryans had another solid performance for our defense today and he's my ROY, Mario Williams played well and remember he's playing injured so give him alot of credit, Morlon Greenwood played well again, C.C. Brown and Anthony Maddox had a great game. Alot of players have been steeping up for our D this year and playing great and as I keep saying, they're young and have a tremendous future haead of them.

Great job by our Houston Texans today. A huge win, we did not have a letdown after a massive upset against the Colts last week, we came back a put together consecutive wins, we tripled our win total from last year and finished with alot of momentum heading into the offseason and next year.

I'll talk more about that as well in my post tomorrow. A great way to end our season to say the least and I'm proud.

Great job cheering us on today at Reliant and at home as I'm sure you were. There's certainly alot to get excited about in the future for Houston Texans football.

Remember, there's two things you must do in this leauge to be very successful: Play defense, and run the ball well. We have been doing both pretty well recently and should only get better at it.

GO TEXANS !

Last edited by TexansAllTheWayBaby; 12-31-2006 at 05:52 PM.
TexansAllTheWayBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #2
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My Thoughts on win over Cleveland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansAllTheWayBaby View Post
Again the aspect that continues to excite me is this defense is young. This defense will only get better and only continue to improve and we really have the potentail to be a top defense in the future, and again I'll talk more about this tomorrow.

Another thing I liked today is the way we tackled. We were hitting hard and bringing their guys down and thats another difference is this defense and the one from the past, they tackle much, much better. When a defender made contact with a Cleveland player today, he went down. Solid open-field tackling today, and thats great to see.
I caught Dunta's post game interview on the radio. He was saying that they need and expect all 11 players to contribute instead of relying on 1 or 2 playmakers. Good to hear. Also said they should only get better next year as they grow into the system.

Good game Defense!
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My Thoughts on win over Cleveland

I disagree with two points in the original post.

1. That our passing game didn't play extremely poorly. 86 yards and 1 interception is pretty much the definition of "extremely poorly". This is just a step up from the Oakland performance only because Carr didn't get sacked a lot and didn't have a turnover taken back for a TD. You also lumped the run from the shotgun in with the passing game and that's not quite correct. I'm pretty sure that was a called run play and not a passing play.

2. That our defense can get to the QB. The Browns have a makeshift line and we only rarely got to Frye. Offhand, I can only think of 1 sack (Maddox), 1 forced intentional grounding (Williams), and maybe a couple of other hurries. But for the most part, we weren't getting much pressure. At the beginning of the season, I was hoping that we'd be able to get pressure from just our d-line but when we tried that, we pretty much got nothing. We were having to come with the blitz to get pressure and even then, we weren't getting a lot of it. I really loved that Williams play, though, and I'm hoping that's a sign of greatness to come.

Other than that, thank you for your consistently good posts throughout the year.

Last edited by The Pencil Neck; 12-31-2006 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Word tweakage. Added "a lot"
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read