Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-31-2006   #1
GTFan
Rookie

Default 2006 Free Agency Grade (ie not our draft and trades)

Hi everyone,

First time poster. Long time visitor. You know the drill, the same routine everyone gives on the sports talk show programs.

So, I like the direction the Texans are heading and just FYI, I will root for the Texans 'til the day I die. No bandwagon fan here ever.

But, I want to dissect one rumor that people keep saying. We did NOT do well in the 2006 FA in terms of strict FA signings, ie we traded draft picks for Moulds and Walters so I don't count them in FA. And I keep reading people saying we did so well in FA this year.

But in FA, we signed the following: Weaver, Flanagan, Putzier, WR Lewis, Salaam, Bedell, Dayne, Antoine Smith, Maddux, Dalton, Thomas Johnson, Killings, J. Cook, Sage Rosenfels, Kalu, LB Pierce and Rainer and the MLB from MIN who got hurt, safety Michael Stone, Curtis, CBs McLeon and Wynn. That's 22 names. I mean, am I forgetting anyone here? Quantity, no doubt. Quality, hum...And the Chronicle and these boards have a way of making each of one of these to be such noteworthy signings.

I'll be honest, I was real excited about the Flanagan signing, but several people on this board called it to a T: he got injured, was too old, and didn't have a good initial rapport with Carr and the result was early fumbles.

Putzier -- loved this signing, but he was beat out by a 4th round TE and thus Putzier is pretty much being wasted. Typically, you don't spend the first pick of the second day on a pos that you made a major FA signing. Despite Owen's early 5 TDs, I still like Ko Simpson there, and we likely wouldn't be talking about needing a FS in the 07 draft.

Weaver -- hmm...FO says he is a DE and CBS insists on calling him a DE every week. Remember all the draft experts who said there was NO way the Texans could draft Mario b/c of Weaver? I live Weaver quite a bit but he has to be considered a DT and in that role, he seems to need some more lbs.

So, of all the FA signings, the one that stands out to me is Maddux. People keeping referring to all our street signings on the DL, but Maddux was a 4th round pick of the Jaguars, who usually have good DLs and Maddux may have just got caught in a number crunch. I could see Maddux having a big role next year.

I wanted to send this post b/c I think Smith will do a good job with a full year of FA. But, what I want to see the Texans do for the FIRST time in team hx is just get one FA that will make a HUGE impact on this club. Yes, a 6-10 team can sign Clements or Briggs. Cleveland did the equivalent last year and yet they stink. The day FA begins, the Texans need to do whatever it takes to get a LB or CB in FA. We've had enough of meaningless, quantity FA signings.

2006 FA grade: C at best.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #2
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Default Re: 2006 Free Agency Grade (ie not our draft and trades)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Cleveland did the equivalent last year and yet they stink. The day FA begins, the Texans need to do whatever it takes to get a LB or CB in FA. We've had enough of meaningless, quantity FA signings.
Yes, Cleveland did, and yes, Cleveland does. Shouldn't that example concern you a bit?

I'm assuming you meant Bentley - wasn't Cleveland his hometown or something?

One big FA means one big injury takes you out and you have nothing. Think Boselli.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #3
GTFan
Rookie

On paper, Cleveland had a very good FA class in '06, to which most expects raved, but which I'm at a loss as to why it's not reflected in their record. I recall off hand the C you mentioned and McGinnis. CLE had an assistant coach come from NE who brough some interest from some FAs and hopefully Kubiak can do something similiar this year.

If the Texans signed just Briggs or Clements (ie the first impact FA signings in Texan hx) and they had a CAREER ending injury like Boselli and possibly Spencer, then I'd pretty much deduce that this franchise is cursed.
Old 12-31-2006   #4
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Hi everyone,

First time poster. Long time visitor. You know the drill, the same routine everyone gives on the sports talk show programs.

So, I like the direction the Texans are heading and just FYI, I will root for the Texans 'til the day I die. No bandwagon fan here ever.

But, I want to dissect one rumor that people keep saying. We did NOT do well in the 2006 FA in terms of strict FA signings, ie we traded draft picks for Moulds and Walters so I don't count them in FA. And I keep reading people saying we did so well in FA this year.

But in FA, we signed the following: Weaver, Flanagan, Putzier, WR Lewis, Salaam, Bedell, Dayne, Antoine Smith, Maddux, Dalton, Thomas Johnson, Killings, J. Cook, Sage Rosenfels, Kalu, LB Pierce and Rainer and the MLB from MIN who got hurt, safety Michael Stone, Curtis, CBs McLeon and Wynn. That's 22 names. I mean, am I forgetting anyone here? Quantity, no doubt. Quality, hum...And the Chronicle and these boards have a way of making each of one of these to be such noteworthy signings.

If they're good enough to beat out your existing starters, you at least did OK. If most of the rest got some playing time, you needed the depth.

I'll be honest, I was real excited about the Flanagan signing, but several people on this board called it to a T: he got injured, was too old, and didn't have a good initial rapport with Carr and the result was early fumbles.

That's no big shock w/ ANY new center, though to hear it on these boards, it was all Carr's fault anyway.

Putzier -- loved this signing, but he was beat out by a 4th round TE and thus Putzier is pretty much being wasted. Typically, you don't spend the first pick of the second day on a pos that you made a major FA signing. Despite Owen's early 5 TDs, I still like Ko Simpson there, and we likely wouldn't be talking about needing a FS in the 07 draft.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda - I thought you weren't mentioning our draft? With Putz though, you've gotta appreciate that he helped our existing TE's to learn the system. That's a lesson not to be overlooked with the loss of veteran leadership(see Aaron Glenn).

Weaver -- hmm...FO says he is a DE and CBS insists on calling him a DE every week. Remember all the draft experts who said there was NO way the Texans could draft Mario b/c of Weaver? I live Weaver quite a bit but he has to be considered a DT and in that role, he seems to need some more lbs.

Nah, he's a DE, though I agree that if he was strictly a tackle, he needs to get bigger & stronger.

So, of all the FA signings, the one that stands out to me is Maddux. People keeping referring to all our street signings on the DL, but Maddux was a 4th round pick of the Jaguars, who usually have good DLs and Maddux may have just got caught in a number crunch. I could see Maddux having a big role next year.

IR made starters out of Killings and Thomas Johnson as well.

I wanted to send this post b/c I think Smith will do a good job with a full year of FA. But, what I want to see the Texans do for the FIRST time in team hx is just get one FA that will make a HUGE impact on this club. Yes, a 6-10 team can sign Clements or Briggs. Cleveland did the equivalent last year and yet they stink. The day FA begins, the Texans need to do whatever it takes to get a LB or CB in FA. We've had enough of meaningless, quantity FA signings.

We definitely need some help at CB & FS, no argument there.

2006 FA grade: C at best.
Replies in BOLD. You definitely put some thought into this. I'd go no WORSE than a "C" here, probably a B-.
Old 12-31-2006   #5
GTFan
Rookie

I could go with a B-, sure.

But, I will say til Kingdom come that as bad as the Texans were in '06, you have no business signing FAs at the same position that you're spending significant draft picks on (the first pick on day 2 is a valuable pick).

I agree that many of these street signings have gotten playing time, so Smith and Kubes are to be credited to an extent. But Wynn and McLeon are not as good as Faggins, a 6th round pick. And many of our FAs have already been released. It's just sad that our FA signings are fighting second day draft picks for playing time. Hopefully in '08, we won't be having this discussion....
Old 12-31-2006   #6
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

So many of our FA signings were injury signings, though.

We had to sign McLeon ... Faggins couldn't play until Week 7. We had Sanders, but he went on IR.

Wynn returned for us with Mathis out.

Dalton, Maddox, Killings,TomJ and probably a couple others replaced IR'd Payne and TravJ. Salaam replaced Spencer. Bedell was signed when Salaam got hurt.

I'd certainly concur that Flanagan and Putzier were pretty flat signings. They seemed to be coach's picks (Flanagan was with Sherman and Putzier with Kubiak last year) - and who knows, maybe they helped the team adjust to the new playbooks.

Did Ranier even make it out of TC without going on IR? I can't remember if he was junk or injured.

I don't really know how you can grade IR replacements. Their job is not to excel, it's to fill a hole and not get killed. Generally I'd say they've done that. At least, better than CCBrown has.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #7
GTFan
Rookie

I listed all those names, 22, more for effect than anything. I knew some of those singings were just junk and nothing more. The Texans signed a DL this week from the practice squad to replace Weaver for one game and the papers already say he will play Sun. It's possible we could play the game vs Cleveland with our current DL w/o another signing. But it does go to show that outside of say, Dayne, what production have we gotten from our FAs that we couldn't have gotten from the 06 draft and the castaways from previous drafts like Hogden? The answer is not much. With the Stacey Macks, Ziegerts, Todd Wades, Greenwoods, Robaire Smiths, I just feel one excellent FA signing would go a long way to helping this team and that we are capable of signing such a player if we put together a good proposal to that player.
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read