Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-30-2006   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Foxsports.com's early mock draft

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6317258

6. TEXANS Alan Branch DT Michigan Junior
The 6-foot-6, 320-pound run stopper is just what the Texans need. Put him on a defense that added Mario Williams and Demeco Ryans, and you have one of the more promising young units in the league.
Old 12-30-2006   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foxsports.com's early mock draft

I don't think we'll take a DT with our 1st round pick. The only D-lineman I think the Texans would consider is Gaines Adams. If the guy the Texans want isn't available where we draft, I wouldn't be surprised if we trade up and get an extra pick or two for later.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i keep seeing mocks where the bucs pass on joe thomas. silly.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #4
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I don't think we'll take a DT with our 1st round pick. The only D-lineman I think the Texans would consider is Gaines Adams. If the guy the Texans want isn't available where we draft, I wouldn't be surprised if we trade up and get an extra pick or two for later.
The Texans have alot more money invested in our DE with Weaver and Williams new contracts. I think payne will get cut to save money. So we will be lacking depth a DT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #5
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

The DLine cap is mostly Weaver and Payne, though. The 3 first round picks added together is a little over 6 million in cap, less than either David Carr or Andre Johnson.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #6
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i dont see us takin another D-line men, i really want the texans to trade down, and try to get Reggie Nelson, i think hes the best play maker at safety we can get in the draft
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #7
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I find it hard to believe that the Texans would take Branch when Marshawn Lynch, our choice of CB's, & our choice of safeties are still on the board. Those are much more glaring needs. While Branch is more talented than TJ, a move like that would be as inept as the drafting of TJ was. I don't see it happening.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2006   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

My responce to that is which teams did we play this year that 1. we shut down their run enough to hold a fourth quarter lead. And 2. knew for a fact our d-line could hold a third or forth and short. You may well be right. But again selecting a run stuffing wide body, a true two gap DT... plugs a big hole
on this team. Their our other canidates out there no doubt. Just be nice to hang on hats on a true starter unstead of flakey gamble in the first round. And two of the four you just mentioned in your post are that in my book. You call it inept. I call it the most prudent thing they coud do. Plug one hole good. With one good player. That...in my book is prudent, not inept. Lynch and Leron are both reaches in my book. Even at nine.
Old 12-30-2006   #9
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I would take DT in the 1st rd. We need to build strong foundation on D specially front 7. Taking OLB in the 2nd rd(hope we get DB from FA). When we have solid front7, our DB would look much better. We are only a few palyers away to become legit NFL D.

GO TEXANS!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Although I would much rather have a playmaking-ball-hawking FS like Laron Landry or Reggie Nelson, I wouldn't be upset with the Branch pick.

I would pick Branch, landry, nelson (my top 3 D choices), and then whoever is the best cb in the draft as my 4th choice. (leon hall may not necessarily be the best cb for us)

One the offensive side I'd pick Joe Thomas if available and IF he really would be a good fit for our team. Then either Peterson (I worry about his long term health/injury) or a distant marshawn lynch (who actually may be better for us than peterson)

Not a bad mock by that guy. Did i read that correctly that Troy Smith would fall to the 2nd round? hmm I might like that as well.

Landry/Nelson/Branch in '07~!!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279 View Post
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6317258

6. TEXANS Alan Branch DT Michigan Junior
The 6-foot-6, 320-pound run stopper is just what the Texans need. Put him on a defense that added Mario Williams and Demeco Ryans, and you have one of the more promising young units in the league.
Hmmm under there scenario I just might have to drink very heavily befor the draft. Like Branch. JT goes off the fifeth pick, that'll kill me.

And YTF, that's two of us that dissagree with you assements on JT and Branch. Must be a conseracy huh ?
Old 12-30-2006   #12
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84150 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Mock drafts are like Christmas advertisements, they start earlier and earlier each year.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #13
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Cleveland really wants Troy Smith, they could easily trade down for those wanting Joe Thomas or AD. It's a great situation for them.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #14
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

really no reason at all to think that cleveland likes troy smith.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
If Cleveland really wants Troy Smith, they could easily trade down for those wanting Joe Thomas or AD. It's a great situation for them.
Now there's a thought. A trade under 2800 points that lands a stud OLT. Brillant.
Old 12-30-2006   #16
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
The Texans have alot more money invested in our DE with Weaver and Williams new contracts. I think payne will get cut to save money. So we will be lacking depth a DT.
I personally think Weaver plays his best football at DT.

If it were up to me we address our DT situation in FA and hope Gains Adams is there when the Texans draft and move Weaver inside. Having another stud at the end position will take pressure off Williams, not to mention having a pass rush will take pressure off our secondary.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I personally think Weaver plays his best football at DT.

If it were up to me we address our DT situation in FA and hope Gains Adams is there when the Texans draft and move Weaver inside. Having another stud at the end position will take pressure off Williams, not to mention having a pass rush will take pressure off our secondary.
And I personally, respectfully disagree. I like Smith's rotation. Unless you know something about a Peak/Babins deal ? Weaver is staying where he is. Going to have to do something with Peak and Babs.
Old 12-30-2006   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

this will significantly change once the underclassman declare for early entry, deadline coming up Jan. 15th

Branch is the best inside tackle prospect in a while.

Gaines is a slightly smaller version of Mario Williams.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Just food for thought....Switch with Cleveland 2200 - 1350 (9th)= -850. Our second (520) and Babins ought to do it.
Old 12-31-2006   #20
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Thumbs up Re: Foxsports.com's early mock draft

I actually like the hell outta this guy. He would fit perfectly in this line. I have been telling all my buddies that we will probably go DT or CB, and that matters where a RB or 2 fall, and how low we move down after the win against the Brownies. The lowest we can go is 10. This guy was a RB in HS, and he has raw athletic talent. For 6-6, and 320, he will constanly take on double teams next to Mario. There is no way they can double Marion and him. I say good pick. Thumbs Up here!!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read