Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2006   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default 2005 Draft-Revisited

Alot of people were mad that the Houston Texans bypassed Derick Johnson (Texas/Chiefs) for DT Travis Johnson, but in retrospect, here's why we should be mad.

The Texans were set to draft 13th, but Casserly traded with New Orleans for a future 3rd round pick and bumped us back to #16.

New Orleans selected offensive tackle Jammal Brown out of Oklahoma with the 13th pick.

The Texans selected defensive tackle Travis Johnson with the 16th pick.

Take a guess which one is going to the pro-bowl this season.

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/nfc_roster
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2005 Draft-Revisited

Oh yeah, I pointed that out when I saw his name listed as a pro bowler.....I still don't think most people have snapped. We did end up with Winston out of the deal but he is still a project while Brown is on the Pro Bowl squad.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you fellas don't appreciate the consistantcy of our old front office .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #4
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll never forget that day - in part because of DJ, TJ, the trade with NO, etc. - but mainly because I was sitting next to Barry Warner while watching the first round in the media room. Everyone should have the pleasure...

Lots of head shaking from everyone in the room that day. I recall liking the Morency and Mathis picks at the time. Of course there was no second rounder due to our brain dead GM at the time. TJ was a classic Casserly D-lineman. Big, slow, thick legged, michelin men...

Last edited by aj.; 12-30-2006 at 12:23 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #5
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of the moves the old administration pulled weren't so bad...it's just the players they selected after making those moves.

For example: They drafted Drew Henson...that turned out in our favor..can't say we capitalized on it though.

The trade with the Saints...could of gone well...but again...can't say we capitalized on that one either unless TJ really turns it on this next year.

The trade up to the first for Babin...wait...that one was just not very smart.

Same with the Buchanon trade. That one was just stupid.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I prefer to stay ignorant of these things. It's a blissfull life.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #7
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Just looking forward, dont want to look at the past admin!

remember Casserly said it would take 3 years to develop an Offensive Lineman into a good Pro football player.
Old 12-30-2006   #8
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle View Post

remember Casserly said it would take 3 years to develop an Offensive Lineman into a good Pro football player.

That's how it was back in the day before the cap where teams could keep lines and teams together for several years, and when teams could take more time to develop players. Unfortunately for us, Casserly never escaped the 1981 mentality. I bet he still has leisure suits in his closet.
Old 12-30-2006   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Unfortunately for us, Casserly never escaped the 1981 mentality. I bet he still has leisure suits in his closet.

and i thought it was just the haircut.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #10
SLO Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
That's how it was back in the day before the cap where teams could keep lines and teams together for several years, and when teams could take more time to develop players. Unfortunately for us, Casserly never escaped the 1981 mentality. I bet he still has leisure suits in his closet.
That just made my sides split!!! Casserly was the definition of a TOOL!! Karma worked in our favor in this past draft though. Six starters in one draft after four drafts producing all of .....6 starters? I think that's right, feel free to correct me if not.

I'm going to the game tommorow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whooooooooooo hooooooooo!!!!!!!!
(sorry I could'nt hold it in any longer)

Go
Old 12-30-2006   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Can you imagine the Giants hiring CC . We should resign PBuck now and get ready to trade him ... I'd take a 3rd and 4th .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #12
SLO Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Can you imagine the Giants hiring CC . We should resign PBuck now and get ready to trade him ... I'd take a 3rd and 4th .
I thought P-Burnt played for the Bucs now.....

And yes I'd take the 3rd and a 4th too please!!
Old 12-30-2006   #13
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

The Babin deal was the worst move we've made, he's nothing more than depth and a backup and we gave up muliple picks for him.

The Babin deal and the #2's we gave up for Hollings and PSuck are the reason why this team has never gotten off the ground.

How the hell is Charlie still able to draw a check from football. I could do a better job drafting, but thats really not saying muck
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #14
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
The Babin deal was the worst move we've made, he's nothing more than depth and a backup and we gave up muliple picks for him.

The Babin deal and the #2's we gave up for Hollings and PSuck are the reason why this team has never gotten off the ground.

How the hell is Charlie still able to draw a check from football. I could do a better job drafting, but thats really not saying muck
Babin deal isn't nearly as bad as the PBuc deal. In the Babin deal, we gave 3rd, 4th, and swapped 5ths. The players they ended up getting weren't much. Babin his rookie didn't really do THAT bad either for a OLB in a 3-4 scheme. His stats measured quite comparable to other OLB's in a 3-4 scheme.

The Buchanon trade on the other hand, was outright robbery. The Hollings pick and the Buchanon trade are all so awful I would have them 1a and 1b worst moves of all time.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #15
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Babin deal isn't nearly as bad as the PBuc deal. In the Babin deal, we gave 3rd, 4th, and swapped 5ths. The players they ended up getting weren't much. .
I guess that's the case if you consider Ben Troupe, Randy Starks, Bo Shoebel, and Jacob Bell 'not much.'

The Texans also swapped their 2nd for TN's 1st in the deal. That was Troupe. Starks by himself makes the Babin deal lopsided.
Old 12-30-2006   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans84's intent was to focus on the Texans needs & lack thereof addressing those needs.

see casserly

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #17
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's kinda sad that Babin is probably the Texans' best pass rusher (even with his 1 spin move).
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #18
common_fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post

man, could have gotten bernard berrian in that 3rd round......
common_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #19
GTFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
It's kinda sad that Babin is probably the Texans' best pass rusher (even with his 1 spin move).
You have to admit that Babin has had to fight both Weaver, Kalu and Peek for those prime 3rd down rushes on the QB. If Babin had gotten as many snaps as Mario this year, I think Babin would have more like 8 sacks min and many more tackles and would have the Texans single sack record, which however, isn't saying that much.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Yeah, I mentioned the trade (though not Brown's Pro Bowl status) in another thread. as many times as this team has neglected to address the tackle position with a high draft pick, it's typical that they had one sitting in their laps and passed him off to New Orleans.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read