Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2006   #1
Zac
Rookie

Default Shifting focus to the future

The Texans have been out of the Playoffs for quite some time. They were in the running for a top draft choice for a while there. Now the Texans stand to be in the 5 to 12 pick range. Quite a range. And I'm glad the Texans aren't tanking like last year!!!!

What area of the draft do you guys think the Texans should focus on? The Defense or the Offense?

The Defense needs a cornerback, a free saftey, and a linebacker. "Starters"

The offense needs a dominant runner "Someone like All Day, Adrian Peterson", and it needs a franchise left tackle. "Big question marks since Spencer got hurt early and has potential to still be REALLY GOOD. Plus Ron Dayne has been huge for the Texans for the past 4 weeks, running CONSISTENTLY!!
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Shifting focus to the future

Right now, I'd say what I want on the first day is a DB and 2 O-linemen. We have other needs, but I think those are the biggest right now.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006   #3
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Looking at the offense:

We have a lot of injuries to the offensive line, and unless a big time tackle is available when we pick, then I do not want to reach for a pick. We reached for Travis Johnson, and I think that kind of hurt us. I think in the later rounds thats when we can start picking up some o linemen to provide a lot of depth, and also a tackle like Ryan Harris out of Notre Dame or Tenn.'s left tackle.

If Adrian Peterson is available, grab him.

If not- I would love to have Laron Landry out of LSU at safety. We need a big time safety. In the later rounds I would love to see them pick up either Tom Zbikowski out of Notre Dame who is just a player, or Houstons Free Safety who stands at 6-4 and is 1st team C-USA player and finds the ball very well, and would help us out in our division becuase Harrison isn't so big, so when Manning throws up those balls, he can get higher than Harrison, he also lays the wood on receivers coming across the middle, and he 'd be a steal later on in the draft. Say I was the Texans...this is how I would draft...

1st Round: Adrian Peterson/Laron Landry
2nd Round: Offensive Tackle
3rd Round: Cornerback
4th Round: (if not landry, than a safety, if landry, then OLB)
5th Round: Offensive Guard
6th Round: Punter
7th Round: Defensive Tackle

I think our main building foundation for 2007 is in the Free Agency Market, we don't need more young talent, we need more talented veterans to lead all this young talent. We are a couple holes away from having a team that competes in the AFC playoff hunt. (I still believe if we were in the NFC and played an NFC schedule, we would be in the playoff hunt right now).
Old 12-29-2006   #4
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Who we pick in the draft all depends on who we pickup in FA. I, like many, hope we can get a OLB like Briggs or Thomas and a DB like Samuel or Clements. If we could do that it would help solidify our defense and help us alot going into the draft.

I have been a big proponent of getting Joe Thomas in the 1st round, but if we are picking 6th to 8th range, he will probably be long gone. If he is gone I think we have 2 choices. Pick LaRon Landry, which some say would be a reach at this spot, or trade down a few spots and pickup Landry (if still there), or Gaither (if he comes out), or Reggie Nelson, and get an extra pick in the deal. My preference is the 2nd choice.

In the 2nd round, if we don't get Joe Thomas, we can get Joe Staley or Doug Free for the LT spot.

In the 3rd we could go after a Center. I think we need one pretty bad because Flanagan is old, Hodgdon is not the answer (can't snap in the "shotgun"), and McKinney is not the long term answer. Maybe Ryan Kalil, by some miracle, is still on the board, or Dan Mozes.

Not sure who would be good to get after the 3rd round at this point, but it's a start. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006   #5
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I want Lynch in the first round.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006   #6
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point in time, albeit not the popular choice...I would like us to pick up Thomas in FA. While he may not be the best LB...he can play many different positions well, and we certainly need the versatility of a guy like him on our team.

Following that...I hope we could pick up Clements as well. It's definitely a long shot to hope we get these two, but it's fun to hope!

After that...I think we need a Roy Williams type safety...and I'm no college/draft guru, so I hope there's someone like him available for our first pick. If we can adress all these...then I think we can start to focus on our offense, with a DT picked hopefully during the middle of the second day just for depth purposes.

Our offense obviously needs work...but I'm a proponent of building the defensive side of the ball first. We've done so a lot with our recent drafts, but we all know how much intellegence was put into those picks. I want Kubiak to get the best players for the D and work his magic with adding smaller portions to the O.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006   #7
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 142325 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i hope this draft mirrors last year's. defense, defense, o-line, o-line (in no particular order) ... BPA or fill holes after that.

it's been proven that leach and dayne work well together even with a banged up line (and lundy/taylor have a season under their belts) so runningback isnt a dire need, and i'm more comfortable with a veteran qb (plummer, garcia, even rosenfels) than i would be tossing a rookie into the game when carr faceplants again by week 3. wr is a strength. tight end is solid with daniels & putz. i like our DE's with kubiak finally trusting babin and mario/kalu showing great promise. i'm comfortable at cb with faggins & robinson (provided we find a real free safety) but we need depth. skill position isnt a problem IMO ... we need, and have always needed help in the ugly areas - DT's, OLB's, O-linemen, safety.
Old 12-29-2006   #8
SLO Texan
Veteran

I would like to see.........

#1 us pick up a FA CB to go opposite D-Rob. Someone as in N.Clemmens, A.Samuel, or R.Hood. We need a proven CB not a prospect.

#2 us use our 1st pick on a FS (Landry/Nelson) That would amount to one bad a** secondary.

#3 A) use our 2nd pick and get a LB (B.Davis/R.Alexander)
B) Go get a FA at LB (June/Thomas/Briggs)
*I would rather have the A scenario as I don't think we could afford two top tier FAs'.

#4 go for OL in rounds 3-5 ( not all 3 but 2 of the three) Also get a FA or two for extra depth(we need all the help we can get)

#5 get someone to challenge David for the starting position (He needs to have some competition PERIOD)

I have high hopes for our team in '07 with a year under their belts in the new systems and some more holes being filled. If this off season is anything like the last one I'll be stoked!!!

Go 9-7 in '07!!!!

Last edited by SLO Texan; 12-29-2006 at 11:40 PM.
SLO Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006   #9
srstex
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i hope this draft mirrors last year's. defense, defense, o-line, o-line (in no particular order) ... BPA or fill holes after that.

it's been proven that leach and dayne work well together even with a banged up line (and lundy/taylor have a season under their belts) so runningback isnt a dire need, and i'm more comfortable with a veteran qb (plummer, garcia, even rosenfels) than i would be tossing a rookie into the game when carr faceplants again by week 3. wr is a strength. tight end is solid with daniels & putz. i like our DE's with kubiak finally trusting babin and mario/kalu showing great promise. i'm comfortable at cb with faggins & robinson (provided we find a real free safety) but we need depth. skill position isnt a problem IMO ... we need, and have always needed help in the ugly areas - DT's, OLB's, O-linemen, safety.
I agree with you on the draft, but Garcia would be an old band-aid, where as Rosenfeld is still young, Plummer would kill this team, keep the 4 QB's we have and let them fight it out. Maddox at DT would be great If he signs for 3 years, dump TJ, get Weaver healthy, and long live the Texans D. One of the players was saying he wanted all the D to play with fire that Richard Smith has as cordinator, and that will happen if we can keep as many of our players as possible.
Old 12-29-2006   #10
SA Texan
Veteran

If Peterson is there, I think the Texans have to take him, especially with DD's future up in the air.
SA Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #11
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Texan View Post
If Peterson is there, I think the Texans have to take him, especially with DD's future up in the air.

I don't think so...I think that with the Denver system we're running, a back is far from our top-list of priorities. We'll just take one before Shanahan can in the 4th
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #12
brewhaus
All Pro

Looks like the Texans will be picking....10th or 11th maybe?
If that is the case, then IMO, the top pospects that will be available for the Texans in the draft will be:

Offense:
Justin Blalock, OL, Texas
Levi Brown, OL, Penn St
Kyle Young, OL, Fresno St.
Marshawn Lynch, RB California*under classman

Defense:
Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC*under classman
Patrick Willis, LB, Ole Miss
Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona*under classman
Laron Landry, S, LSU
Michael Griffin, S, Texas

The good news is we can use help at any of the positions these guys play so how can we go wrong?
Old 12-30-2006   #13
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans can only draft as far back as the #9 spot no matter what happens sunday. You have to take into account opposing teams winning % for teams with the same win/loss record as the Texans. Of course the winning % will change sunday but it looks like no worse than #9.

PICK TEAM W OPP% OPP W OPP L

1 LIONS 2 0.529 127 113

2 RAIDERS 2 0.546 131 109

3 BROWNS 4 0.533 128 112

4 BUCCANEERS 4 0.542 130 110

5 CARDINALS 5 0.492 118 122

6 TEXANS 5 0.513 123 117

7 REDSKINS 5 0.513 123 117

8 VIKINGS 6 0.479 115 125

9 49ERS 6 0.496 119 121

10 DOLPHINS 6 0.538 129 111

11 RAMS 7 0.458 110 130

12 FALCONS 7 0.458 110 130
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #14
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I think the Texans can only draft as far back as the #9 spot no matter what happens sunday. You have to take into account opposing teams winning % for teams with the same win/loss record as the Texans. Of course the winning % will change sunday but it looks like no worse than #9.
Thanks for the update. Then we are in better shape than I thought so let me add to the list:

Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn St.
Old 12-30-2006   #15
Johnny Utah
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post

I want Lynch in the first round.
I completely agree. Lynch is the perfect RB for a zone blocking system, and is a less risky pick then Peterson. Draftshowcase.com has him rated as their #1 RB in the draft.

http://www.draftshowcase.com/07runningbacks.htm

1. MARSHAWN LYNCH
Junior
California
HT WT 40
5'11 215 4.47

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grade:
picks 3-10
Projected Selection:
High-Mid 1st Round
NFL Comparison:
LaDainian Tomlinson, Chargers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths: Has outstanding balance and power especially for a player his size. Runs much bigger than his measureables may indicate. Strong lower body...runs with determination and refuses to go down. Fights for extra yardage and is excellent at breaking tackles. Lynch also has great lateral agility and can make defenders miss. Though he is elusive, he generally hits the hole going north and south. There are times when he will reverse field to try to make big plays. Improving as a receiver..has much potential there.

Weaknesses: For someone with his physical running style, Lynch only has average size, which may raise durability issues. He also has good speed, but is not a pure burner. Pass protection could improve some. Some questions on character...but so far, no major off the field incidents, still worth watching.

Overall: An NFL type back who can carry it 20-25 times. He has held up physically better than Peterson, which is why Lynch is the top back here.

Lynch Highlights http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/marshawn/
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I completely agree. Lynch is the perfect RB for a zone blocking system, and is a less risky pick then Peterson. Draftshowcase.com has him rated as their #1 RB in the draft.

http://www.draftshowcase.com/07runningbacks.htm

1. MARSHAWN LYNCH
Junior
California
HT WT 40
5'11 215 4.47

Grade:
picks 3-10
Projected Selection:
High-Mid 1st Round
NFL Comparison:
LaDainian Tomlinson, Chargers

Strengths: Has outstanding balance and power especially for a player his size. Runs much bigger than his measureables may indicate. Strong lower body...runs with determination and refuses to go down. Fights for extra yardage and is excellent at breaking tackles. Lynch also has great lateral agility and can make defenders miss. Though he is elusive, he generally hits the hole going north and south. There are times when he will reverse field to try to make big plays. Improving as a receiver..has much potential there.

Weaknesses: For someone with his physical running style, Lynch only has average size, which may raise durability issues. He also has good speed, but is not a pure burner. Pass protection could improve some. Some questions on character...but so far, no major off the field incidents, still worth watching.

Overall: An NFL type back who can carry it 20-25 times. He has held up physically better than Peterson, which is why Lynch is the top back here.

Lynch Highlights http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/marshawn/
I don't like RB's in the 1st, but this kid might be the deal. I'm gonna check out his career stats.
Old 12-30-2006   #17
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i was thinking about marshawn and i think we trade back up into the 1st if he's still around at 20+ like we wanted to do with deangelo williams last year
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #18
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Since I don't think we will be picking early enough for peterson or that left tackle (can't remember his name ) I would like to go defense 1st again. Our defense is shaping up to be the strength of this team. We badly need safety help and another dominant linebacker. A great is the foundation of a playoff team. Plus we still have free agency to get some veteran leadership on the offensive side of the ball, although I have no idea what our cap situation is going to be like.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #19
BeerFan
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to BeerFan

if we don't get Landry, we should definitely take a look at Eric Weddle from Utah. the coach called him the best defender he's ever seen. also took snaps at RB and QB for the Utes.

look him up guys.
Old 12-31-2006   #20
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

I think one thing we need is SPEED. We need playmakers - yes...but pure speed is something we desperately need.

I want to see as much as I can of:

Charlie Anderson
Chris Taylor
David Anderson

I like Lynch alot but I'm not sure if they'll go back in round 1 simply because the Marion Barbers, Burkhalters, and Lamont Jordans of the NFL will probably suffice. Throw in Dayne, Lundy, and Taylor and you probably have your backs.

If they draft 10-ish, I wouldn't be suprised to see them go after a Ginn for pure speed playmaking and maybe even try to get Troy Smith as well later on. Of course, if Landry or Branch are there - IMHO, they grab one of those. Branch is probably what we honestly need even though it will inspire no sentiment whatsoever!
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read