Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-28-2006   #1
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle
Default Running Back roster?

htownfoozball made a post about a RB in the draft (in that forum) and it got me thinking (some of you can insert a GE thinking joke here)?

Does Taylor take Lundys spot on the roster for next season?

Dayne
Taylor
Gado

Of course there is this option

Peterson
Dayne
Taylor

Which RBs do you see making the roster, or rather who would you want on the roster next year?

(No we cannot trade back for Morency, I feel ya)
Old 12-28-2006   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Running Back roster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle View Post
htownfoozball made a post about a RB in the draft (in that forum) and it got me thinking (some of you can insert a GE thinking joke here)?

Does Taylor take Lundys spot on the roster for next season?

Dayne
Taylor
Gado

Of course there is this option

Peterson
Dayne
Taylor

Which RBs do you see making the roster, or rather who would you want on the roster next year?

(No we cannot trade back for Morency, I feel ya)
I'm going to assume Dayne is back as the featured back next season. I see it playing out like this:

Dayne
Davis
Taylor
Lundy (Practice Squad)

I would prefer Peterson over Davis, but I think DD will be healthy next season and I don't think we'll be drafting high enough to take Peterson. He'll definately go in the top 5 and I don't think we'll be drafting in that area. I don't think Gado will be back. I dunno if he's been injured or what, but he hasn't played in a few weeks now. Unless he turns into a beast during training camp or something I have a hard time imagining him back when he hasn't played in so long.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #3
SLO Texan
Veteran

I think we will see this...

1)Dayne.......2)Lundy........3)Taylor

but I would like to see this...

1)L.Betts/M.Turner............2)Dayne..........3)Lundy/Taylor

I think Turner is a RFA so that probably isn't happening but I think Betts is up for grabs and I like his potential as a starter.

Either way I think Kubiak will continue to search for gold on the second day for a RB. We just have to pray he finds the next T.Davis!!!
Old 12-28-2006   #4
htownfoozball
Veteran

i dont think lundy will be on the team next year. put him on the practice team. he just isnt that good.
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #5
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Texan View Post

I think Turner is a RFA so that probably isn't happening but I think Betts is up for grabs and I like his potential as a starter.

Either way I think Kubiak will continue to search for gold on the second day for a RB. We just have to pray he finds the next T.Davis!!!
betts just resigned with the redskins, for 5 years.
Old 12-28-2006   #6
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well my big question is what happens with D.Davis and his big contract....

Does he offer more than Dayne as a starter??

Do you pay him big money for a role as a 3rd down back??

Do you cut him and take the hit??

Do you trade him for whatever we can get???

I would say see if we can shift him, keep Dayne, Lundy and try to get a genuine speed back (if Taylor is not that back).
Old 12-28-2006   #7
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfoozball View Post
i dont think lundy will be on the team next year. put him on the practice team. he just isnt that good.
Correct me if I'm wrong but since he has been active most of the year would this make him ineligible for the practice squad??
Old 12-28-2006   #8
trutexan02
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to trutexan02 Send a message via Yahoo to trutexan02

Contrary to most authorites in the thread I think Davis is the incumbent next season. But due to recent performances, Dayne will be allowed to compete for the spot. I like Dayne, but I think a healthy Davis is by far superior to Dayne.

1st: Davis
2nd: Dayne
3rd: Draft pick(Rice)
Practice: Lundy

However due to injury questions, I don't think there is a clear cut starter and kubes runs by comittee again next season.

I say this not knowing a thing about DD's Status. I live states away and the websties rarely gives bad news.
trutexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #9
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I want another bruiser in the backfield to supplement Dayne. Screw speed, I want us to wreck run-D's, consistantly. And that is the reason I want another bruiser.
Old 12-28-2006   #10
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd bring back Dayne, Lundy and Taylor to compete in TC.

Additionally I'd also take a look at Thomas Jones. He's a bruiser of a back that can do a job. Last year he carried that Bears offence - 1300+ yards as they had Kyle Orton at QB.
Jones is on his way out of Chicago as Benson will be the starter next year (IMHO).
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #11
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I want another bruiser in the backfield to supplement Dayne. Screw speed, I want us to wreck run-D's, consistantly. And that is the reason I want another bruiser.
I want to see some "smash-mouth" play out of the Texans myself. But I think what I will hear from most of the people on this board is "that isn't Kubiak's style". Pounding the ball on the ground seems to work OK, at least as far as I have seen lately.......I agree with Malloy. Another bruiser would be a good addition to the team.
Old 12-28-2006   #12
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasnt there a horrible chick singer named Taylor Dayne?
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #13
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWig View Post
LOL. yeah.
Old 12-28-2006   #14
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWig View Post
there is indeed http://www.taylordayne.com/home.html
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #15
DayneBum
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Texan View Post

Correct me if i'm wrong, But didnt Betts get a contract extension?
DayneBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #16
AndreRulz
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to AndreRulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by trutexan02 View Post
Contrary to most authorites in the thread I think Davis is the incumbent next season. But due to recent performances, Dayne will be allowed to compete for the spot. I like Dayne, but I think a healthy Davis is by far superior to Dayne.

1st: Davis
2nd: Dayne
3rd: Draft pick(Rice)
Practice: Lundy

However due to injury questions, I don't think there is a clear cut starter and kubes runs by comittee again next season.

I say this not knowing a thing about DD's Status. I live states away and the websties rarely gives bad news.
rice?
do you mean ray rice from rutgers he is only a sophmore.
Old 12-28-2006   #17
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus View Post
I want to see some "smash-mouth" play out of the Texans myself. But I think what I will hear from most of the people on this board is "that isn't Kubiak's style". Pounding the ball on the ground seems to work OK, at least as far as I have seen lately.......I agree with Malloy. Another bruiser would be a good addition to the team.
I think Carr agrees with you as well on Kubiak's "style"
Quote:
..."That's how our offense is supposed to look," said Carr, who completed 16 of 23 passes and threw for one touchdown. "When (Kubiak) came here, that's what he wanted to do run the ball, play-action a couple of times, get some big plays, and you win the football game; play good defense....
Dayne article in 12/27/06 chronic

I don't think DD is coming back for some reason - as bad as has sounded and unable to do anything this year but rehab... just not sure about that. I think Dayne has made enough of a name for himself late in the year that he starts (if all things stay the same in the RB world).
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #18
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be in extreme agony if Dayne got the start over Davis if he was healthy. With how terrible our line was...he was still a top-5 back in the entire league...no way I'd want Dayne to play over him. Dayne would make an awesome back-up though...great 1-2 punch.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #19
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayneBum View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong, But didnt Betts get a contract extension?
He did, so the question I pose to you is; Would you take Portis?
Old 12-28-2006   #20
SLO Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle View Post
He did, so the question I pose to you is; Would you take Portis?
Well darn!!

I realy like the way he's been playing lately and thought he was a UFA next year.(L.Betts that is)

Hopefully D.Davis comes back and is a force again even if its in a limited role. His knee situation is sounding pretty sorry still from the tidbits we've been given from Kubes & Co.

Maybe Dayne will continue to breathe new life into his career here and we'll have the guy everyone was expecting him to be coming out as a Heisman winner.

He reminded me a bit of J.Lewis in the Indy game. Give him 25 + carries a game and I think we'll see many more 100 + yard performances.

GO

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read