Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-27-2006   #1
Sportsfan
All Pro

Default Mario's progress this season

What is everyone's opinion on how Mario did this year and what his future holds and his chance of becoming a dominating pass rusher?

In my humble opinion he didn't perform consistenly like the #1 overall pick.
He did show some flashes of dominance and power, no doubt. I also know that he is dealing w/a foot condition and is still making a difference.

I found this scouting report on the NFL site and found this part interesting.

Quote:
Positives: Great size (6-foot-7 and 295 pounds). ... Superior speed and athleticism. ... Excellent anticipation of the snap and quickness off the ball allow him to win most battles on his first step. ... Outstanding closing speed. ... Excellent footwork and change-of-direction skills. ... Superb ball instincts. ... Shows equal dominance rushing the passer or stopping the run. ... Big hitter.

Negatives: Despite tremendously long arms, needs to work at getting better separation from blockers. ... Must improve technique rather than mostly relying on running around blockers.
Everytime i've watched Mario, he still seems to have this problem of shedding blockers quickly and making a move.
What's your opinions on this aspect of his game?
Discuss...
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario's progress this season

The best thing about Mario may be that he is a weakside DE who NOBODY wants to run at. If I ran anywhere near him, he'd break both my arms while stripping the ball from me with one hand. Whether or not he will turn out to be the great pass rusher that we hope remains to be seen. He's a rookie DE with a temporary foot problem. What else is there to say?

Oh, one other thing. I think when and if Mario does get a lot of sacks, he's going to cause a buttload of fumbles. The way he tackles is like an arm restraint. Both the QB's arms come slinging straight down to his sides and the ball goes bouncing it's own merry way. Let's hope he gets to 'em quite often next year.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #3
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

The best thing about Mario was that he was willing to play with pain/injury and didn't become a complete liability. That bodes well for his work ethic and his athletic ability in general. I don't think we ever saw a healthy Mario this year. Here is to hoping that we finally get to open our Christmas present from Mario a year later once he gets healthy.

Put a Gaines Adams opposite him on the DL or 'The Tree' Branch at DT alongside him and we could go into hyperspace regarding our DL production. Maybe Branch's work ethic would rub off on T.Johnson at DT.
Old 12-27-2006   #4
DenverBorn
Veteran

I think he's fine, just not worth the first pick in the draft. I'm guessing we could have found comparable talent in later rounds.
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #5
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent
Rookie

More like a mid-fourth rounder - Bobby and Gary were idiots for taking this guy number one overall and let's not mention how poorly they did with their other overall number one pick...
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #6
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I want to see how he does when he is healthy. He had 4.5 sacks through the first 8-9 games. He hasn't had any since he got injured. He has still had an impact against the run though.

Is he worth the 1st overall selection? Not at this point.

Will he be? We won't know for another 2-3 years.
Old 12-27-2006   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBorn View Post
I think he's fine, just not worth the first pick in the draft. I'm guessing we could have found comparable talent in later rounds.
We all know a first year players worth given the contract they sign is a multi year contract.

He has improved, he has made a difference, he has played injured and he has garnered respect from other coaches and players in the NFL. And he has done all of that before he turns 22. We got a player who has a high ceiling and will now have 16 NFL games to build on this off season.
Old 12-27-2006   #8
real

Quote:
I'm guessing we could have found comparable talent in later rounds.
I don't know about that....

Mario was definitely top three talent.....
Old 12-27-2006   #9
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he's improved quite a bit. It's harder to judge a D-lineman from most other positions, but I think he'll end up being the dominant guy we expected from him. I can't wait to see him next season with a year under his belt and two healthy feet.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #10
TexanLen
Veteran

I think he will be fine. He has definitly had flashes of what he can be. The speed and size this guy has is amazing!!! I seen him last week make a play on Addai that made me go WOW!!! Unfortunatly he will always be compared to pick #2 and #3. It is unfair to him, but i can't wait until Mario is healthy and sacks the #3 pick making him fumble and leave the game!! (Not end his carreer, but knock him out the game!!!) I know, wishful thinking, but anything can happen any given Sunday!!!

Adopt a Texan... Can it be a cheerleader?!!!
TexanLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #11
DenverBorn
Veteran

Here's where this year's 6 Pro Bowl DE's were drafted:

Jason Taylor 3rd round # 73 - 1997
Aaron Schobel 2nd round # 46 - 2001
Derrick Burgess 3rd round #63 - 2001
Julius Peppers 1st round #2 - 2002
Will Smith 1st round # 18 - 2004
Aaron Kampman 5th round # 156 - 2002

Now if you are SURE that Mario Williams is going to become a Julius Peppers or a Jevon Kearse, maybe you pick him number 1. But there was NOTHING in his college career to make one sure he'd be that good.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/positions/DE
Old 12-27-2006   #12
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanLen View Post
I think he will be fine. He has definitly had flashes of what he can be. The speed and size this guy has is amazing!!! I seen him last week make a play on Addai that made me go WOW!!! Unfortunatly he will always be compared to pick #2 and #3. It is unfair to him, but i can't wait until Mario is healthy and sacks the #3 pick making him fumble and leave the game!! (Not end his carreer, but knock him out the game!!!) I know, wishful thinking, but anything can happen any given Sunday!!!
VY will blow my Mario more often than Mario will sack him - count on it!

Why shouldn't he be compared to the # 2 & # 3 pick as the # 1 pick he is supposed to be better, but he never will be...
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Now if you are SURE that Mario Williams is going to become a Julius Peppers or a Jevon Kearse, maybe you pick him number 1. But there was NOTHING in his college career to make one sure he'd be that good.

3 of those 6 are in the Pro Bowl for the first time. Development is an important variable when considering future production.
Old 12-27-2006   #14
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:

are there any guarantees with anybody? you dont spend a number one pick on a RB/WR who doesnt even see the lions share of his teams carries. bush's season was REALLY pedestrian until the last three weeks and i'll just head off everybody (since i'm a #10 hater and all) and admit that VY has been great this year. even with Bush's latest hot spell, i still take mario and try and get alan branch in 2007 to chew up blockers for #90 and DeMeco.
Old 12-27-2006   #15
DenverBorn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
3 of those 6 are in the Pro Bowl for the first time. Development is an important variable when considering future production.
right, but when you use the FIRST pick in the draft on someone, theoretically you should have less patience. My recollection was that drafting Mario was more about winning in 2006, not in 2009. That was the knock on VY, among other things - that it would take a few years for him to develop (ha). Now it's all about giving Mario the opportunity to develop. If we wanted to draft a DE and give him a few years to develop, we probably could have drafted someone in the middle rounds. Or use the $54 mm (or whatever it was) on a free agent.
Old 12-27-2006   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
right, but when you use the FIRST pick in the draft on someone, theoretically you should have less patience. My recollection was that drafting Mario was more about winning in 2006, not in 2009. That was the knock on VY, among other things - that it would take a few years for him to develop (ha). Now it's all about giving Mario the opportunity to develop. If we wanted to draft a DE and give him a few years to develop, we probably could have drafted someone in the middle rounds. Or use the $54 mm (or whatever it was) on a free agent.
Sure. Take a look at the cap after we extended Carr and there was no question in my mind where we were going with the first pick if a trade out did not occur.
Old 12-27-2006   #17
DreDaMan05
Rookie

I will admit it Mario was not worth the number 1 pick, we could have still got him with additional picks. Will he become a superstar? I will say yes but you can't put it on him it takes help on the defensive line to make him better. With all the injuries on the DL we will not know right now how good he really is. I will state this fact he have made us into a better defensive unit. So why we may have reached to early for him, he will be the cornerstone for us having a dominating defense in the future.
DreDaMan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #18
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

When I ask myseld about Mario I keep on coming back the Bob Whitfield quote after the Giants game...

Quote:
Giants offensive tackle Bob Whitfield, a 15-year veteran and former first-round pick by Atlanta, had this to say about Mario Williams: "The son of a gun is almost inhuman out there for how big and thick and solid he is. And I caught it firsthand because I said to myself, `Don't give the young kid a sack.' But I don't call it a sack when he actually dislocates your whole left side of your body when he hit me. It was almost like he needed to have a penalty for tearing up an old man. I actually told him, `Slow it down, young fellow.' He's strong. He's big. He's got it. He's going to be a force to be reckoned with."

I am happy with the effort and toughness he is showing, and without that strip of Addai in the Colts game would we have won it??

I love the Mario pick and can't wait to see him next year older, wiser and fully fit.
Old 12-27-2006   #19
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

In that case, no rookie is even close to being worth 60 million. This isn't basketball where one player can turn a franchise around.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #20
DenverBorn
Veteran

By the way, KT, I assume that's your wife in your avatar? If yes, well done -

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read