Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-27-2006   #1
wwffan99tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 wwffan99tx is on the Pro-Bowl ballotwwffan99tx is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Give Carr a chance????

I've been pondering this and have come to the conclusion that I myself will give him 1 more year. Honestly, this is his rookie year in the NFL. The previous 4 years the Texans lacked talent and coaching to qualify as an NFL team. More like a CFL team. With that said, I looked at some stats and saw that in Plummers first year with Kubiak the team went 10-6 (he started 11 games). But he also had an O-LINE MUCH better than the Texans have and also had Clinton Portis in the backfield. Carr has shown some glimpses of growth although he has also played some of the worst QB in the league this year. Maybe the system is finally sinking in. Maybe he can be better next year under Kubiak. After all this is the first year he has had ANY coaching. What'cha think?
wwffan99tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Give Carr a chance????

I think we should definitely play him for one more game. After that, I have no idea.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #3
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with ya. that and that contract makes it prety hard not to believe other wise. I don't wanna turn into bacteria for sure. Steve Young struggled just a tad in Tamapa Bay befor he was snapped up by the 9ers. That worked out prety good for them. Comes to starting over with a rookie or standing pat. I'm on board with ya big guy. One thing is for certain...we ain't trading ten picks to get the water walker back.

But there are some who will.....

Keep Hope Alive !!!
Old 12-27-2006   #4
ryansisgod
Veteran

people say he doesnt have the intangibles and what not, but i've seen some flashes of brillians, like the TD he dove in for vs the giants or the fake again the dolphins or more recently against the colts the pass that set up the fg. he may not be a superstar but we can win with him, we need a couple of linemen, and speedy RB. he may not be having the best season but he needs our support to succeed, we need to back him up in the browns game and the next season as well. however even with an improved oline he keeps fumbling and throwing 4 ints a game then hes out.
Old 12-27-2006   #5
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

If Carr plays another mistake free game vs. the Browns then the texans finished 3-2 in their last 5 games. I feel that would merit him a chance to COMPETE for the starting job in training camp. It's in everyone's interest for Carr to turn into a good QB with Kubiak's help but based on what I have seen for 5 years I don't think its very likely. If he wins against Cleveland and then plays well in preseason/training camp and shows Kubiak a bit more heart and dedication I think chances are he will be starting Week One for us. Do I think that is the way to go? No. But I think the Texans organization feels that is the way to go, Kubiak included.

If he performs poorly against the Browns, all bets are off....
Old 12-27-2006   #6
DreDaMan05
Rookie

I agree wwff i was willing to get rid of him last year when the draft was deep with good quarterbacks. But Kubiak made a commitment to stick with Carr for 3 yrs., so the least they can do is give him another year to get it right. They must have seen something good about him the last 4 years to give him the contract. So just build around him next year and lets make the playoffs.....go Texans
DreDaMan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

If DC is our QB in 2007 (which my Magic 8 tells me "ask again later"), then I'll cheer him on accordingly. Should we part ways, I'll wish him the best and root for whoever plays QB for the Houston Texans. I have absolutely no choice in the matter, other than to root or not to root (is that the question?).

How's that for giving him another chance? deserved criticism & praise is still fair game, tho'
Old 12-27-2006   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
If DC is our QB in 2007 (which my Magic 8 tells me "ask again later"), then I'll cheer him on accordingly. Should we part ways, I'll wish him the best and root for whoever plays QB for the Houston Texans. I have absolutely no choice in the matter, other than to root or not to root (is that the question?).

How's that for giving him another chance? deserved criticism & praise is still fair game, tho'
If he is back and does not progress while the Texans fail to make it over .500 then Kubiak/Smith must make the playoffs in 2008 or they are done in my opinion. You cannot pay a premium for average and be competitive week in, week out in the NFL.
Old 12-27-2006   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
If he is back and does not progress while the Texans fail to make it over .500 then Kubiak/Smith must make the playoffs in 2008 or they are done in my opinion. You cannot pay a premium for average and be competitive week in, week out in the NFL.
yep, I agree. When they decided to hitch their wagon to that horse, they have to either ride into the glorious sunset of winning seasons or go off the cliff with it accordingly.

The truth is, I'll be a Texans fan long after everyone involved (on the team) is long gone.
Old 12-27-2006   #10
SESupergenius

I am slightly disappointed with Carr as I pegged him to have at least 18 TD's at the end of the season and be around 3,000 yards. I have no problem in bringing in a QB to push him and legitimately qualify for the starting spot based on prior accomplishments. Guys like Jeff Garcia and Jake Plummer fit that mold. If Carr however still beats them out then we can focus on other badly needed areas of the team; CB, S, OL.
That's not to say I don't want him back, because I do. I think he has 1 more year left in the Kubiak system to lead us to an above .500 record. With a solid offensive line and running game I think he can do this. We've already paid the bonus money so he stays, we can't keep crying over not taking Young, Bush or D'Brick (yes I said that). Give him and offense more meat in the trenches and solidify this scheme. this is our 1st year in this system folks from a team that was 2-14. Casserly and Capers were fired for a reason and I tend to think it wasn't all on David Carr. We can almost tripple our wins from 2005 this next game, that right there is something to build on.
Old 12-27-2006   #11
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Another year??? After next year all of the apologists will be asking for another year. Haven't we seen all we need to see in the first 5 years?
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #12
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

I am also on the bandwagon that says give him another year. Since we did nothing last year with 3 QB's coming out that were all top notch, did I say that?, then this is NOT the year to pull the plug and try for a 4th rate QB coming out this year. I do not think for 1 minute Sage R is the guy either. Or Plummer, or Bledsoe, or Garcia, or Cunningham, or, well you get the point...
Old 12-27-2006   #13
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

I don't think Smith should be held accountable for the Carr debacle. He didn't have a hand in it to the best of my knowledge.

Now him being a good friend of Kubiak, he would probably leave or be fired if Kubiak came under the hot seat and was fired. McNair has shown patience with his HC and GM in the past (almost to a fault) but i actually prefer that method for ownership regarding those 2 positions.

Look at Pittsburgh as a model and to a lesser extent Baltimore/Billick, New England/Bilichik and Denver/Shanahan. Cowher had many bad seasons where the heat was on him. Fans wanted him gone. They kept him and he eventually rewarded the org and the fans and was pretty successful as a whole over the span of his career. When a player knows that the coach is in charge and isn't going anywhere anytime soon, they tend to buy into the system more.

The Steelers don't fire many coaches or front office personnel. Most get hired away by other teams. When that starts to happen you know you are on the right path.
Old 12-27-2006   #14
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius View Post
I am slightly disappointed with Carr as I pegged him to have at least 18 TD's at the end of the season and be around 3,000 yards. I have no problem in bringing in a QB to push him and legitimately qualify for the starting spot based on prior accomplishments. Guys like Jeff Garcia and Jake Plummer fit that mold. If Carr however still beats them out then we can focus on other badly needed areas of the team; CB, S, OL.
That's not to say I don't want him back, because I do. I think he has 1 more year left in the Kubiak system to lead us to an above .500 record. With a solid offensive line and running game I think he can do this. We've already paid the bonus money so he stays, we can't keep crying over not taking Young, Bush or D'Brick (yes I said that). Give him and offense more meat in the trenches and solidify this scheme. this is our 1st year in this system folks from a team that was 2-14. Casserly and Capers were fired for a reason and I tend to think it wasn't all on David Carr. We can almost tripple our wins from 2005 this next game, that right there is something to build on.
I may not be happy about it personally, but I think that is probably how things will shake out and how things will get spun by the org and media in general. I think you are right on target except I don't think we can afford to bring in a Garcia or Plummer and Carr and Sage. Both Carr and Sage are signed. Garcia and Plummer will probably be the cream of the crop in regards to Veteran QBs. I wouldn't have a problem with Carr coming back and competing against Sage for the job.

Garcia and Plummer can stay away. Maybe a Tim Rattay or who knows even a Tim Couch to come in and make it a 3 man race. Couch is a pretty damn good athlete and has been out of football a while. I wouldnt be against giving him the NFL minimum and seeing what he had left in the tank...not a lot of miles on those tires and he would be DIRT cheap
Old 12-27-2006   #15
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwffan99tx View Post
I've been pondering this and have come to the conclusion that I myself will give him 1 more year. Honestly, this is his rookie year in the NFL. The previous 4 years the Texans lacked talent and coaching to qualify as an NFL team. More like a CFL team. With that said, I looked at some stats and saw that in Plummers first year with Kubiak the team went 10-6 (he started 11 games). But he also had an O-LINE MUCH better than the Texans have and also had Clinton Portis in the backfield. Carr has shown some glimpses of growth although he has also played some of the worst QB in the league this year. Maybe the system is finally sinking in. Maybe he can be better next year under Kubiak. After all this is the first year he has had ANY coaching. What'cha think?
I think you need to stop drining Bobby Mcnair's Kool-Aid it's giving you brain damage!
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #16
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Despite people whining about us not getting VY or Bush, this last year has been extremely productive in the advancement of this team.

Defensively, we switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3. We added three nice pieces to our front seven (Mario, Ryans, and Weaver) plus we rediscovered an existing one (Greenwood). The secondary needs work, but we are even more clear about where our strengths and weaknesses are on that side of the ball.

Offensively, we improved our receiving core (Moulds and Daniels) plus we found a nice power back (Dayne). Unfortunately the number of injuries on the line leave us with even more questions about that unit and that side of the ball as a whole. As for our embattled QB, Carr? He looks less and less like the man that will be here for our first playoff appearance. We do, however, seem to have a solid backup QB in Sage Rosenfels.

The special teams have some work as well. Mathis has more hamstring issues than Donte Stallworth, but, his replacement, Wynn has done an admirable job. Chad Stanley seems to have played his way off the team after this season, but the verdict is still out on Kris Brown.

If this next offseason goes well, I could see us with a .500 or better record in 2007. Can we do it? Lets just have some faith.
Old 12-27-2006   #17
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre View Post
Despite people whining about us not getting VY or Bush, this last year has been extremely productive in the advancement of this team.

Defensively, we switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3. We added three nice pieces to our front seven (Mario, Ryans, and Weaver) plus we rediscovered an existing one (Greenwood). The secondary needs work, but we are even more clear about where our strengths and weaknesses are on that side of the ball.

Offensively, we improved our receiving core (Moulds and Daniels) plus we found a nice power back (Dayne). Unfortunately the number of injuries on the line leave us with even more questions about that unit and that side of the ball as a whole. As for our embattled QB, Carr? He looks less and less like the man that will be here for our first playoff appearance. We do, however, seem to have a solid backup QB in Sage Rosenfels.

The special teams have some work as well. Mathis has more hamstring issues than Donte Stallworth, but, his replacement, Wynn has done an admirable job. Chad Stanley seems to have played his way off the team after this season, but the verdict is still out on Kris Brown.

If this next offseason goes well, I could see us with a .500 or better record in 2007. Can we do it? Lets just have some faith.
I agree man. They elevated their talent level greatly this offseason. When you throw in thomas johnson, maddox, and vashon lane into the puzzle as late additions, they have really made a lot of really shrewd moves. They still need some more depth at OL and a healthy Flanagan at Center but I think even the much-betrodden OL shows some great promise for the future.

I feel the Texans' holes are FS, Pass Rushing OLB or DE, RB depth, and OL depth. I think Smith has managed to help our DT depth and our FB situation on the fly. Kudos to him. QB is a hole but I think Sage could come in and possibly fill it and if he can't we got a Carr that is already bought and paid for even if it kinda sucks imho.
Old 12-27-2006   #18
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan View Post
I am also on the bandwagon that says give him another year. Since we did nothing last year with 3 QB's coming out that were all top notch, did I say that?, then this is NOT the year to pull the plug and try for a 4th rate QB coming out this year. I do not think for 1 minute Sage R is the guy either. Or Plummer, or Bledsoe, or Garcia, or Cunningham, or, well you get the point...
I am on record stating that I believe that Carr is an average inconsistent QB and that is what he is until something on the field makes me change that opinion. That said, when I look at the list of suspects there is not one of those guys who automaticaly is any improvement from Carr. I think same dog different fleas. In 2007, odds are against the Texans having any better QBing that Carr provides and most likely see manage the game football from whoever is under center. Overall, not excited about the prospects of waiting out a rookie for two or three years, a veteran stop gap or Carr.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #19
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
In 2007, odds are against the Texans having any better QBing that Carr provides and most likely see manage the game football from whoever is under center. Overall, not excited about the prospects of waiting out a rookie for two or three years, a veteran stop gap or Carr.
In other words, we missed the boat. A lot of people feel that way, but the ship sailed, so we'll just have to see if the tide washes up a seaworthy dinghy.

Whew. There's all my nautical references for the day. Gotta get those clichés in somehow...
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #20
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
In other words, we missed the boat. A lot of people feel that way, but the ship sailed, so we'll just have to see if the tide washes up a seaworthy dinghy.

Whew. There's all my nautical references for the day. Gotta get those clichés in somehow...
As long as somebody does not attempt to sell me something else, I understand that you can win in the NFL with manager style QBs. This means that the FO should spend the off season developing a salty defense, up grading the OL, and finding another skill position player or two. Make the rest of the team better, and let it drag the QB position along. As long as we win.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read