Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-27-2006   #1
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Default 2007 Opponents

Since Buffalo has the tiebreaker and a 1-game lead over Miami, here's our opponents for 2007. I think the football gods really have it in for us sometimes.

AFC South:
Indy x2
Jax x2
East Austin x2

AFC West:
San Diego
Denver
Kansas City
Oakland

NFC South:
New Orleans
Carolina
Atlanta
Tampa Bay

AFC 4ths:
Cleveland
Miami
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #2
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve
Default Re: 2007 Opponents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg01 View Post
Since Buffalo has the tiebreaker and a 1-game lead over Miami, here's our opponents for 2007. I think the football gods really have it in for us sometimes.

AFC South:
Indy x2
Jax x2
East Austin x2

AFC West:
@ San Diego
Denver
Kansas City
@ Oakland

NFC South:
New Orleans
@ Carolina
@ Atlanta
Tampa Bay

AFC 4ths:
@ Cleveland
Miami
did i get all the road/home games correct?
Old 12-27-2006   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 214832 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Well look at it like this then

Indy (x2) we get every year so no big deal. We get to play the #32 run defense twice per year. I believe we can split this.

Jacksonville (x2) we also get every year and it's almost like getting spotted 2 wins per season

Tennessee (x2) is going to happen every year so there's no sense in getting upset about it. We'll just have to beat them and get a split. Winning sometimes would go a long way towards making this series bearable. It did wonders for us in 2004.

a .500 record against our division opponents is not out of the question. 3-3 is very possible and at the rate Jacksonville is "improving" we could actually go 4-2 against the AFC South. I think we will go 4-2.

San Diego is going to be tough of course but then Denver is only 9-6 right now. Kansas City is 8-7. Those two teams are not invincible by any stretch of the imagination. Oakland sucks worse than we do. We could go 2-2 over these four teams add that to our record against our own division and we're suddenly 6-4

New Orleans probably beats us but they were garbage last year and they're brilliant this year. They could go right back to being garbage next year and it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Still if we lose to New Orleans and split Carolina and Atlanta (both at best .500 teams) then beat Tampa Bay we go 2-2 against this bunch. That brings us up to 8-6

That leaves Cleveland and Miami. Cleveland is currently 4-11 and Miami is 6-9. Who exactly is terrified of those two teams? We take both of those and we're 10-6 for the year. If we split them then we're 9-7.

I have no problem with the teams we're playing next year. Everyone has some tough battles and everyone has a few "gimmies". A few of those will reverse next season. If we truly improve and beat the bad teams we're halfway to where we need to be. If we win some games against some good teams we top .500
Old 12-27-2006   #4
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Truth is we won't know if this is an easy or tough schedule until well into the 2007 season. The teams making the playoffs are losing very few games to bad teams and stealing a couple from teams that are better than they are. Flawed NFL teams make the playoffs every year. The texans don't have to resolve all of thier issues to make the playoffs, but do a few things well and don't mess up chances to win close games. 8 wins gets in playoff conversasion and 9 wins gets you in quite often.

BTW, here is a note from the 2006 draft

Top 5 in the draft were

Texans- 3 or 4 win improvement
Saints-division winner
Titans- guaranteed to be .500, playoff still a chance
Jets- mostly likely playoffs
Packers- still with a chance to make the playoffs

The texans are not going to be perfect next year, but even with modest improvement can position themselves for playoff contention.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

After [finally] beating the Colts, I'm back to thinking we can be an 'any given Sunday' team (like 2004).

That being said, the record - based upon today's projections - could vary from 6-10 to 9-7. A lot of importance will be placed on the first four games, as we need to at least split. I don't think this young team will have the confidence to pull itself out of an 0-4 hole at this point.
Old 12-27-2006   #6
DenverBorn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Indy (x2) we get every year so no big deal. We get to play the #32 run defense twice per year. I believe we can split this.

Jacksonville (x2) we also get every year and it's almost like getting spotted 2 wins per season

Tennessee (x2) is going to happen every year so there's no sense in getting upset about it. We'll just have to beat them and get a split. Winning sometimes would go a long way towards making this series bearable. It did wonders for us in 2004.

a .500 record against our division opponents is not out of the question. 3-3 is very possible and at the rate Jacksonville is "improving" we could actually go 4-2 against the AFC South. I think we will go 4-2.

San Diego is going to be tough of course but then Denver is only 9-6 right now. Kansas City is 8-7. Those two teams are not invincible by any stretch of the imagination. Oakland sucks worse than we do. We could go 2-2 over these four teams add that to our record against our own division and we're suddenly 6-4

New Orleans probably beats us but they were garbage last year and they're brilliant this year. They could go right back to being garbage next year and it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Still if we lose to New Orleans and split Carolina and Atlanta (both at best .500 teams) then beat Tampa Bay we go 2-2 against this bunch. That brings us up to 8-6

That leaves Cleveland and Miami. Cleveland is currently 4-11 and Miami is 6-9. Who exactly is terrified of those two teams? We take both of those and we're 10-6 for the year. If we split them then we're 9-7.

I have no problem with the teams we're playing next year. Everyone has some tough battles and everyone has a few "gimmies". A few of those will reverse next season. If we truly improve and beat the bad teams we're halfway to where we need to be. If we win some games against some good teams we top .500
I see it a little differently

1. I think our conference record will be 2-4. Wins at home against Indy and Jax. Get swept by Vince

2. Agree that 2-2 vs. AFC West is a possibility

3. I think we'll go 3-1 against the NFC South. I think we can beat TB, Atlanta and Carolina. I don't think the Saints are headed down in the next few years, as long as Brees stays healthy

4. We beat both Cleveland and Miami

So that leaves us at 9-7, at best. More likely 8-8. And 6-10 is not out of the realm of possibility, by any means.
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

13-3 all the way baby...

seriously the afc north is as bad if not worse than the west so either would've been bad....i think we can go 3-3/4-2 in our division

afc west- lose to SD and denver...beat KC and oakland- in fact i think the raiders will be the tougher of the 2 next yr cos they'll have some offence

nfc south- hard to tell..we could go 3-1 or 1-3 as they're all inconsistant and have problems

same with the browns and miami- we could win or lose both... il say 8-8 pre-
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2006   #8
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

9-7 PLEASE - with Carr, Kubiak, and McLoser running this thing. Thye'll be lucky to surpass this year's total...
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #9
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
After [finally] beating the Colts, I'm back to thinking we can be an 'any given Sunday' team (like 2004).

That being said, the record - based upon today's projections - could vary from 6-10 to 9-7. A lot of importance will be placed on the first four games, as we need to at least split. I don't think this young team will have the confidence to pull itself out of an 0-4 hole at this point.
"any given Sunday' team" now there is a goal to be proud of...
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #10
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBorn View Post
I see it a little differently

1. I think our conference record will be 2-4. Wins at home against Indy and Jax. Get swept by Vince

2. Agree that 2-2 vs. AFC West is a possibility

3. I think we'll go 3-1 against the NFC South. I think we can beat TB, Atlanta and Carolina. I don't think the Saints are headed down in the next few years, as long as Brees stays healthy

4. We beat both Cleveland and Miami

So that leaves us at 9-7, at best. More likely 8-8. And 6-10 is not out of the realm of possibility, by any means.
Do you think we'll be swept by Vince, or do you want to be swept by Vince?

I'm not saying its impossible to happen again, but the Titans didn't exactly blow us out of the water this season.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #11
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45895 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll know more when you can tell me the status of the 16 players on IR.

1. Does Dominick return?
2. Will Spencer be fully recovered?
3. Will the IR DTs be healthy?

Then, can we get a couple of upgrade starters in FA?

Will we be able to get a couple of rookies in the draft who can contribute in 07?

If all goes well 9 or 10 wins, maybe, if not, 7-8 wins.
Old 12-27-2006   #12
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

If we hit the jackpot in the draft like we did last year we could be looking at a great year next season...

Anyone know when the actual schedule comes out? I might be able to try and get to the Indianapolis away game and maybe a couple others depending on the dates. If anyone has an idea it would help me a lot...
Old 12-27-2006   #13
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I can just imagine how the media is going to hype the Texans vs Saints matchup. "The reggie vs mario and how reggie was disrespected by the Texans". That's gonna be a long week before the game. I believe the game is in Houston....
stingray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #14
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

I dread the Saints game...Im tired of hearing who we should have taken in the draft
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #15
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle View Post
I dread the Saints game...Im tired of hearing who we should have taken in the draft
Guess we'll just have to show them we made the right pick...
Old 12-28-2006   #16
whotex8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881 View Post

Anyone know when the actual schedule comes out? I might be able to try and get to the Indianapolis away game and maybe a couple others depending on the dates. If anyone has an idea it would help me a lot...
I think the schedule came out in Feb. this past year. They start pushing for Renewals (season tickets) just after the schedule is announced.
Old 12-28-2006   #17
HOOK'EM
Veteran

With Carr: 5-11

Without Carr: 10-6
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #18
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881 View Post
Guess we'll just have to show them we made the right pick...

heh, I agree....rather Mario is going to have to show them...Then again, the ESPN idiots made a comment (one of them I was not paying attention) that "Mario WIlliams can average 14 sacks a year and still wont be worth the #1 pick" or something like that?

Amazing
Old 12-28-2006   #19
Big J
Rookie

You cant forecast our 2007 season. Its way to hard to predict. So many factors or inputs still need to be put in place. Someone already mentioned the key points.

But I will add...Did anyone seriously expect New Orleans to be second in the NFC? Or the Titans be .500? No.

So who knows who the suprise or let down team will be next year.
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #20
SLO Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
You cant forecast our 2007 season. Its way to hard to predict. So many factors or inputs still need to be put in place. Someone already mentioned the key points.

But I will add...Did anyone seriously expect New Orleans to be second in the NFC? Or the Titans be .500? No.

So who knows who the suprise or let down team will be next year.
I know but don't tell anyone..........it's the..........

Houston Texans who go 9-7 and make it to the playoffs via wild card berth and upset Kubiaks old Broncos to advance to the SuperBowl and WIN IT ALL!!!!!!

But seriously if we fill holes like we did in '06 in '07 via FA and the draft we've got as good a shot as anyone in our division to win. We went 3-3 in the South including 2 tough losses to the Titans. The winning Texans team we've all been waiting for is getting ready to explode out of it's Steel Blue heart!!!

Get Ready for the New Texans NFL!!!

GO

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read