Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-26-2006   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Offseason Checklist is one smaller!

I've been saying that we need a free safety, a CB, an OLB, a RB, a FB, two OLmen (one starter and one providing good depth) in order to make this team playoff-ready.

Well, we found one of those already.

Cross FB of the list. V.Leach is exactly what we're looking for.

I'm liking what I see in Ron Dayne as well but we still need an explosive, young alternative to him. If only DD was healthy, this is the situation we've been screaming about for two years with him. DD getting 15-20 touches, especially on passing downs, and having a bruising rotate in with him for 15-20 touches.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #2
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Offseason Checklist is one smaller!

Leach has been a great pickup, no doubt. The thing that is perplexing about the FB situation is that we had one of the better ones in the league in Norris (see Frank Gore's numbers) and let him go because he wasn't much of a pass catcher. Is Leach any better than Norris? They seem like the same player to me.

Ron Dayne is relatively young when you consider the amount of carries he has over his career. If he can stay healthy and in shape he's probably got a good 3-5 years left in him.

Both safeties need to be replaced. Maybe Faggins gets moved to FS? We definitely need a good cover corner opposite of Dunta.

The OLine is still one of the worst in the NFL. Who knows how they're going to try and fix it, but it should be priority 1 in the offseason.

Domanick won't be back. He got his money and judging by everything we've heard his desire to get back on the field is non-existent.

And of course we need a good QB to replace Carr. No explaination needed here.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #3
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I've been saying that we need a free safety, a CB, an OLB, a RB, a FB, two OLmen (one starter and one providing good depth) in order to make this team playoff-ready.

Well, we found one of those already.

Cross FB of the list. V.Leach is exactly what we're looking for.

I'm liking what I see in Ron Dayne as well but we still need an explosive, young alternative to him. If only DD was healthy, this is the situation we've been screaming about for two years with him. DD getting 15-20 touches, especially on passing downs, and having a bruising rotate in with him for 15-20 touches.
I miss moran norris but leach is more of a keeper for us now than moran norris was then. Hopefully he has earned a spot on our roster for a long time.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #4
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Regarding the secondary issues... I think we have forgotten about John Walker and Chris McKenzie. A lot of people were really high on these in the preseason. One or both of them may be ready to play next year.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #5
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

I would like in the offseason Leach to work a lot more on run blocking, to not only be a good receiving threat, but be able to lead the way for whoever might be in our backfield next season. But he definately had a career day against the colts and I watched him and he had an overall awesome game, the touchdown catch was just a highlight. MUCH better than Jameel Cook, after Cook is the reason why we lost two of our games this season. Having leach alone might have us at .500.
Old 12-26-2006   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
Maybe Faggins gets moved to FS?
You have got to be kidding. The options are move Dunta to FS and bring in two new corners and put Faggins at nickel, or more likely bring in a FS and CB and put Faggins at nickel. What next?--P-Buc at SS.
Old 12-26-2006   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
I would like in the offseason Leach to work a lot more on run blocking, to not only be a good receiving threat, but be able to lead the way for whoever might be in our backfield next season. But he definately had a career day against the colts and I watched him and he had an overall awesome game, the touchdown catch was just a highlight. MUCH better than Jameel Cook, after Cook is the reason why we lost two of our games this season. Having leach alone might have us at .500.
We've thrown the ball to him twice..... I don't think many people see him as a "recieving threat"..... VL has been busting holes for us, and that is what makes him a keeper. We have to hope he can become a bigger part in our passing game.

And before we go blaming Jameel Cook for losing two games, we first have to ask ourselves why our offense has been so Mickey Mouse all year.
Old 12-26-2006   #8
t_flare
Veteran

cross out RB, i like what i see from Chris Taylor.. DD will be bonus if he can come back but looks like Kubiak's run system has come to houston with Ron DAYME
t_flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We've thrown the ball to him twice..... I don't think many people see him as a "recieving threat"..... VL has been busting holes for us, and that is what makes him a keeper. We have to hope he can become a bigger part in our passing game.

And before we go blaming Jameel Cook for losing two games, we first have to ask ourselves why our offense has been so Mickey Mouse all year.

No we can blame Jameel Cook for at least one loss and possibly two. The guy had major fumbles at key points late in the game deep in the opponent's territory. Now is he the only reason that we lost those games? Of course not, but he is a major reason for those losses.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #10
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
No we can blame Jameel Cook for at least one loss and possibly two. The guy had major fumbles at key points late in the game deep in the opponent's territory. Now is he the only reason that we lost those games? Of course not, but he is a major reason for those losses.
I don't want to blame Cook only. But, fumbles did hurt us.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #11
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You have got to be kidding. The options are move Dunta to FS and bring in two new corners and put Faggins at nickel, or more likely bring in a FS and CB and put Faggins at nickel. What next?--P-Buc at SS.
...nice combo, iCak! However, though Dunta is a heavy hitter, do you think his small size will catch up with him at FS?...thanks for your input
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #12
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I knew we should have tried Buchanon at Sam...
Old 12-27-2006   #13
Sportsfan
All Pro

Dude Leach is a beast. I love seeing Leach and Dayne going throw a hole. Its a thing of beauty. Almost like 2 mac trucks just crushing through a brick wall.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #14
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Where is Matt Stephens?
Old 12-27-2006   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip View Post
...nice combo, iCak! However, though Dunta is a heavy hitter, do you think his small size will catch up with him at FS?...thanks for your input
I favor the more likely route of bringing in another solid CB and a FS. I would worry about injuries if Dunta was at FS. I suspect he would play very well there until he blew his shoulder out blistering someone like Antonio Gates.
Old 12-27-2006   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe this game showed us that if we want to go anywhere offensively, a running game is what is needed for our team. It is what beat the Colts and will be necessary to beat the rest of our division.

That being said, I'm not mad if we go OL in the first round but if a solid RB lands in our laps we got to take him. Keep in mind grooming a QB whether Carr leaves or goes and also DL would be nice too.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #17
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

The run game is what helped us beat the Colts because that was an attack on their defensive weakness. While other teams in the division may have QBs we want to keep off the field--ala Manning--they may have a strong run defense that negates a strong rush attack.

So,JMO, but I believe the key is an effective game plan for that particular team that week. In the future, the Titans could become the toughest offensive team to keep off the field, because they'll have so many ways to beat you--QB(running/passing).WR/TE, and RBs. The Colts and Jags do not have mobile QBs...

The key,then, what do we have offensively that can beat their defense... Right now, we don't have much. If a team stops our rush attack--which several did this year--it's going to be tough. Did we beat any team this year via the pass?
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #18
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

The best defense is a great running game. If we aren't reaching, I want us to take a top RB or a top OT with our 1st rounder. If the talent is substantially better in other areas, however, lets not reach.
Old 12-28-2006   #19
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

We will likely be picking in the 6-9 range, so given that, AP (he could slide), Lynch or Landry would be good value BPA picks and one of them should be available. I'm not sure who else falls into that range of good value.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006   #20
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
We will likely be picking in the 6-9 range, so given that, AP (he could slide), Lynch or Landry would be good value BPA picks and one of them should be available. I'm not sure who else falls into that range of good value.
Leon Hall CB could be available at #9, if so I would take him over Landry.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read