Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-26-2006   #1
SicilianJag
Rookie

Default AFC South - 2007

First of all, Congrats to the texans for their win this past weekend.

How tough is this division going to be to win next year? I see 4 teams in contention with just a few pieces each to address in the offseason:

colts - something to shore up their D up the middle. Their passing & running offense looks good returning, as usual. Obviously they have the most consistent offense, arguably the worst defense in the division. With no improvements at all, the offense keeps them in contention next year absent major injuries.

titans - like the jags, the titans need some work on their passing game. I think it covers the QB and the WRs, but at least they believe they know who their QB is. It also seems like the jags ran pretty well on them, so some more strength in the middle and some depth is probably called for in the draft. A little help/depth needed on both sides of the ball, but already showing signs of competing. With good coaching and a solid draft, they should be right there.

Jags - clearly the passing game is in desperate need of help. Decide on a direction at QB and get a play making WR. I think the WR is a free agent, but we have to see who comes available. Arguably the strongest defense, and the weakest passing game. With no improvements, defense and running game keep them in contention next year.

texans - I leave this to the board experts. As an outsider, like the Jags, you have to make a firm decision on the future at QB. Is Dayne signed for next year? Based upon comments from the beginning of the year, you probably need to continue acquiring players on the D side. Like the titans, with solid coaching and a good draft you're right in the thick of it. The big risk I see is if you take a QB in round 1 and have to wait out growing pains.

But the bottom line is that it was proven this year that any of the 4 teams can beat other division rivals on any given day. (except maybe the Jags against the texans this year.) Should be an exciting division race.
SicilianJag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #2
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AFC South - 2007

Titans 12-4
Colts 9-7
Texans 8-8
Jaguars 7-9
Old 12-26-2006   #3
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

If the colts don't make changes defensively I think the Titans will be the best team in the AFC South come next season.
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #4
SicilianJag
Rookie

I'll probably get rained on from texan and titan fans, but I haven't seen enough passing from Vince Young yet to make them a favorite. His stats look good this week, he's a heck of an athlete with unquestionable scrambling and leadership skills, but I haven't seen the pocket skills yet that make him a McNair or Steve Young as opposed to a Mike Vick.

Nonetheless, titan fans have a reason to be optimistic and excited. After a couple off years, they are again on the rise.

As a homer, I'll take my Jags even up against them next year.
SicilianJag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Texans 13-3
Titans 9-7
Jags 9-7
Indy 5-11

If I were the Jags...... I'd go into next season as if Garrard was my starter. Give him about four games to prove that he should be the guy. If he isn't getting it done, then I'll announce an obscure injury, and put Byron in there.

Regardless, first thing in the draft, I'd get some talent that would allow Byron to stand back their and do his job. Since he'll be 100% for the first time in his professional career.

Titans..... I think the next few years are going to be seasons that could have been. next year, they'll go 9-7, and miss the playoffs, then in '08, they'll go 10-6, and still miss with teams like Indy & Baltimore winning the Wildcard spots.

Indy.... Their going to start hemoraging next year, trying to make changes to clearly define the QB, the OC, the DC, etc......
Old 12-26-2006   #6
doughboy
Veteran

Colts are gonna be the bottom feeders next year. No money for FA and cant afford Dwight Freeny there best defensive player. 6-10

Jags They've peeked theres no one in the draft that can help there passing game or lack of leaders. 9-7

Texans NEED a QB before they can sniff playoffs... Wouldnt suprise me if they over take the jags for defense next year. 8-8

Titans we need a pass rusher On the other side Of KVB and A reciver second Even though Brandon Jones is going to be a beast next year. Very good Oline
12-4
Old 12-26-2006   #7
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't seen the schedules for 07 yet, but if you are accepting bets on the Titans going 12-4, I'll take the other side of that action.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2006   #8
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Texans 13-3

...I'm going to need an explanation for this.....
Old 12-26-2006   #9
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Im not getting my hopes up again....In 04 we went 7-9, we swept both the titans and jags. Everybody was like "In 05 we'll be a playoff team!!"

05: 2-14
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #10
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The team is getting better because they're learning the system. The 05 Texans stunk it up because they lost the leaders with a coaching staff that was quickly spiraling down the toilet. We have a good GM now in Rick Smith who won't be just another yes man like Casserly.

Jags....same as always...inconsistent.

Colts...on the decline.

Titans....fear them.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

a simple way to sum it up:

Texans: 16-0
Titans: 0-12-4
Jags: 0-12-4
Colts: 0-12-4

None of the other AFC south teams win a game, and are only able to tie each other in a 0-0 deadlock. Texans dominate and win it all.

Too homer?
Old 12-26-2006   #12
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post

None of the other AFC south teams win a game, and are only able to tie each other in a 0-0 deadlock. Texans dominate and win it all.

Too homer?
Slightly
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #13
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Colts 12-4
Texans 8-8
Jags 7-9
Titans 5-11

Even with a crappy Defense, the Colts will still win the division next year for the last time.

Jags will continue to play their .500ish style of ball, losing 2 to the Texans of course.

Titans luck will run out next year, Teams will gameplan VY better next year, and that Defense is the worst in the AFC South.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #14
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post

Too homer?
Nahhh, well...maybe a bit.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #15
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Do you see how Tony Romo has stopped...teams will gameplan for Vince Young.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Colts: 11-5 (last year of dominance)
Titans: 9-7 (Team on the rise. Will start fast, fall fast at the end.)
Texans: 8-8 (Mared by controversy and unwillingness to draft OL still)
Jags: 6-10 (Team has peaked. Lacks starting QB and a true #1 WR. Defense aging which kept them afloat for years. Smith is gone now as well.)

I see the Titans becoming the next power in the division with us nipping their heels for a short while until we draft OL and make a serious push to the top.
Old 12-27-2006   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

About the unwillingness to draft OL...Rick Smith has yet to have a draft, so you can't bring up the team's draft history to support any single fact whatsoever, such as never drafting a PK in the first round. Kubiak drafted two tackles last year, one of which was once considered a top five pick.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #18
whiskeyrbl

I also believe 2007 is the Colts last year of dominance

Colts 11-5
Titans 10-6
Texans 8-8
Jags 7-9
Old 12-27-2006   #19
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Colts 10-6
Titans 9-7
Texans 8-8
Jaguars 7-9

Top dogs of the AFC South will be on the decline - Jags and Colts.

Texans pick up a Safety, QB, and Running Back in the draft - not sure how many more picks we have hopefully enough for some O-Linemen, but those 2 for sure, maybe a QB. *sigh Carr may be traded and Sage takes over, rookie actually LEARNS from the sideline as he transitions from college to the pros. The personality of this team changes drastically from mediocre to one of showing it on the field that we want to win.

Titans should build on this exciting season. Haven't really gotten a chance to watch many Titans games other than against the Texans and if they made game of the week on NFL Network to see where they are lacking. One thing is true, they are finding ways to win.

Colts may be peaking or this is the season where it starts to go down hill. Would be pretty nice if we had enough to get Freeney - I can dream, right? :-) Colts will still hav a winning season, but will acqure more losses as well.

Jaguars might fal off, but not drastically.

In all I think every team gets a win over the other next season and the Afc South is the tough division in the NFL next season.
Old 12-27-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan View Post

...I'm going to need an explanation for this.....
Texans 13-3

that means the Texans will win 13 games....... and lose 3.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post

Titans luck will run out next year, Teams will gameplan VY better next year, and that Defense is the worst in the AFC South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Do you see how Tony Romo has stopped...teams will gameplan for Vince Young.
& that's why teams are getting beat by Vince Young.

He's just the QB. Show me a game where the Titans have won, but had a poor rushing day.... Show me when the Cowboys have won, and had a poor rushing day. Show me a loss, where they've rushed for over 100 yards....

The key to stopping the Cowboys, and the key to beating the Titans, is stopping the run.

We owned the Titans in Tennssee(stat-wise) because we focused on stopping their running game. But at home, we were so focused on stopping Vince, we let Travis Henry go off.

Remember when we signed Weaver, our coach said the keys to victory were stopping the run, and running the ball. We need to get back to that, and stick with it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read