Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-26-2006   #1
OrangeCountyTexansFan
Veteran

Default Tony Dungy quote

I was just on Indy's Web site. I just love this quote by Dungy:

“Just as invigorating as Monday night was, this is disappointing for us.
It’s one of the bigger disappointments we’ve had since I’ve been here. You find out about people. You find out how you bounce back from disappointment. So, we’ve got to come back, play well and win this coming Sunday, then come back and get ready for the playoffs. There’s nothing we can do about this game right now.
I take the blame for it, for not having us ready to go and ready to play. They outplayed us.”

Love it, love it, love it, love it!
Old 12-26-2006   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tony Dungy quote

When you control the clock like that and your runningback gets 153 yards, you have outplayed them. The Colts D just got man-handled. The Colts are a smart, flashy, highly-skilled team, but they got punched in the mouth and they lost. Blame it on Ron Dayne and the Colt's offense's skill players' salaries. This is the salary cap era.

He knows his team just got out-muscled and he also knows that to not give us credit would be cruel at this point. Besides, he's a class act.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #3
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Good point about the salaries, HJam. I think the Colts are going to need to put Manning on a timeshare plan.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #4
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

lol, I had a strange feeling the Texans were going to win on Sunday, anyone with a decent running game can beat the colts....go Texans!!!!
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #5
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

did you hear Manning's quote? He basically threw his defense under the bus. He said things to the effect of 'I can only control one side of the ball. I have no control over the defense. Our offense played well but didn't score enough points because our defense didn't show up and couldn't get us the ball back.'

obviously not an exact quote, I am paraphrasing but it actually sounded worse than that when I heard that come out of his mouth in an interview yesterday.
Old 12-26-2006   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
When you control the clock like that and your runningback gets 153 yards, you have outplayed them. The Colts D just got man-handled. The Colts are a smart, flashy, highly-skilled team, but they got punched in the mouth and they lost. Blame it on Ron Dayne and the Colt's offense's skill players' salaries. This is the salary cap era.

He knows his team just got out-muscled and he also knows that to not give us credit would be cruel at this point. Besides, he's a class act.
Yep. I have been spreading to much rep HJam will have to hit you at another time.
Old 12-26-2006   #7
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
lol, I had a strange feeling the Texans were going to win on Sunday, anyone with a decent running game can beat the colts....go Texans!!!!
What is more amazing that anything is that we have reached a point this season where we are happy to call our running game decent and it is all because of Ron Dayne.. who would of thought it possible.
Old 12-26-2006   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They've only lost 4 games this season. I'm sure there are many other teams with better running games than the Texans that have lost to the Colts.

Our Texans beat a good team, and they deserve props for it. Period.
Old 12-26-2006   #9
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
They've only lost 4 games this season. I'm sure there are many other teams with better running games than the Texans that have lost to the Colts.

Our Texans beat a good team, and they deserve props for it. Period.
no doubt about it. good win against a team that had something to play for while we had little to nothing to play for.
Old 12-26-2006   #10
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

Quote:

Our Texans beat a good team, and they deserve props for it. Period
Yeah I wasn't trying to take anything away from the Texans, because the bottom line is "they beat them", but on any given sunday the colts can lose, because of their lack of run defense.
Old 12-26-2006   #11
Minotaur
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Minotaur

Notice how Indy struggled primarily against their division rivals, and even the Bills? It's amazing!

nflrumors.blogspot.com
Minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah I wasn't trying to take anything away from the Texans, because the bottom line is "they beat them", but on any given sunday the colts can lose, because of their lack of run defense.
I understand where you're coming from, Dream, and not trying to single you out. I've just seen the 'reason for winning' mentioned by several folks, but when you look at the teams Indy has beaten this year, they've got some great running games:

9/10 @ New York Giants 26 - 21 W - NFL rush rank: 10th
9/17 HOUSTON TEXANS 43 - 24 W -
9/24 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS 21 - 14 W - NFL rush rank: 2nd
10/1 @ New York Jets 31 - 28 W
10/8 TENNESSEE TITANS 14 - 13 W - NFL rush rank: 5th
10/22 WASHINGTON REDSKINS 36 - 22 W - NFL rush rank: 4th
10/29 @ Denver Broncos 34 - 31 W - NFL rush rank: 6th
11/5 @ New England Patriots 27 - 20 W - NFL rush rank: 12th
11/12 BUFFALO BILLS 17 - 16 W
11/26 PHILADELPHIA EAGLES 45 - 21 W - NFL rush rank: 9th
15 12/18 CINCINNATI BENGALS 34 - 16 W

The teams I didn't rank have running games ranked near the Texans. But you can clearly see that the Colts have beat teams this year that have vastly superior running games than the Texans.
Old 12-26-2006   #13
The Dream
Hall of Fame

I just think the Jaguars game really opened the eyes of the league and helped teams prepare to face the Colts defense (or lack thereof)
Old 12-26-2006   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Though we were playing for less, we were able to do what Cincinnati couldn't. I'm convinced that says a lot about our coaching staff. If you watched the Cincy vs. Indy game last week, it was obvious that Cincy wanted to run the ball on Indy. However, they didn't seem comfortable with the gameplan and were unable to execute it. Certainly, they had OLine injuries as well. But, not more than we do. I'm telling you, a good offseason and and a reasonably healthy season next year in key spots and we're challenging for the playoffs. Seriously!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
I just think the Jaguars game really opened the eyes of the league and helped teams prepare to face the Colts defense (or lack thereof)
yeah, the key is keeping Manning off the field, which oddly enough, requires a running game. Strange that the big weakness of the Colts defense is the one thing that prevents the team from doing what works: getting the ball in Manning's very capable hands.

I suspect that this hole will be a top priority for the Colts next off-season.
Old 12-26-2006   #16
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Though we were playing for less, we were able to do what Cincinnati couldn't. I'm convinced that says a lot about our coaching staff. If you watched the Cincy vs. Indy game last week, it was obvious that Cincy wanted to run the ball on Indy. However, they didn't seem comfortable with the gameplan and were unable to execute it. Certainly, they had OLine injuries as well. But, not more than we do. I'm telling you, a good offseason and and a reasonably healthy season next year in key spots and we're challenging for the playoffs. Seriously
This is exactly why I thought we'd win on Sunday.....beating Indy is fools gold....this team still has a ways to go before we can actually be considered "good"
Old 12-26-2006   #17
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
did you hear Manning's quote? He basically threw his defense under the bus. He said things to the effect of 'I can only control one side of the ball. I have no control over the defense. Our offense played well but didn't score enough points because our defense didn't show up and couldn't get us the ball back.'

obviously not an exact quote, I am paraphrasing but it actually sounded worse than that when I heard that come out of his mouth in an interview yesterday.

I heard this too and was stunned at first...it's like he's gone into a deep depression because he not only didn't have the chance to pad his stats (like he always does)...but he lost.

In retrospect...I don't think he was throwing his team under the bus as he just expected to beat us and that it wouldn't even be close once again. I think that he fell into the habit of expecting us to not show up like they did.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #18
humbleone
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
I heard this too and was stunned at first...it's like he's gone into a deep depression because he not only didn't have the chance to pad his stats (like he always does)...but he lost.

In retrospect...I don't think he was throwing his team under the bus as he just expected to beat us and that it wouldn't even be close once again. I think that he fell into the habit of expecting us to not show up like they did.
No, IMO he was throwing his D under the bus. This a pattern with Peyton (cry baby) Manning that a lot of the public has not seen. Remember last year in the playoff loss interview, he went off on his O-line even though they are one of the best in the business.

I would much prefer to see Brady or LT on the air instead of "6'5, laser arm cry baby" being the face of the NFL and hawking products.
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #19
Colts Addict
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleone View Post
No, IMO he was throwing his D under the bus. This a pattern with Peyton (cry baby) Manning that a lot of the public has not seen. Remember last year in the playoff loss interview, he went off on his O-line even though they are one of the best in the business.

I would much prefer to see Brady or LT on the air instead of "6'5, laser arm cry baby" being the face of the NFL and hawking products.
Look, I came over here and wished you all luck and then came back to give you all props as well... so I think I have probably earned the right to put my comments in on this one.

Peyton was NOT under any circumstances throwing the Defense under the bus. You either only read part of the article or seen part of the interview. Not once in his entire statement did he say or even imply that the Defense 'couldn't get the ball back' for him, as suggested above in this thread. In addition... he went on to say that this is no time for division. He can't control any other position, other than his own. And he has to make sure he does that to the best of his ability, going on further to imply that had we scored a TD on that last drive, we might have won that game... essentially putting some of the blame on himself.

Don't go looking to pick his statements apart and if your gonna dog him out, atleast dog him out for something that is factual, instead of reaching for things that aren't.
Colts Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post

That's pretty much the same thing we said, Kubiak said, and David Carr said when our defense couldn't force any punts (or three & outs) against Philly, Indy(the first time), and Washington....

It's not throwing anyone under the bus, it's what it is.... the Indy offense scored on most of their possesions.... our defense wasn't all that. It was good enough, since RonDayne and our OL stayed on the field.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read