Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-26-2006   #1
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Default David Carr's Future - From Pro Football Weekly

I was thrilled with the team's win on Sunday and thought Carr played a good game. I don't want to be a killjoy, but here is an interesting piece from PFW, which cites a "source close to the club" as saying he is no better than a 50-50 chance to return to the Texans next year.

If he doesn't return, I wish him the best and hope he plays great on Sunday so his trade value increases. I trust Kubiak to make the right decision, and if he thinks the team will be better off with Plummer, that's fine with me.

http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/The...It/default.htm

"Is David Carr about to play his final game in Houston?

Carr was the Texans’ first-ever draft choice, and he has started all but a handful of the franchise’s games. But the team might be readying to move on without him, the way we hear it.

Texans head coach Gary Kubiak has said that Carr’s status will be evaluated in the offseason, and a source close to the club suggests that Carr is no better than a 50-50 shot to return for a sixth season in Houston. The 27-year-old quarterback is scheduled to make $5.25 million in salary in 2007 and $6 million in ’08, and he could draw interest from other teams looking to pick up a talented veteran who might just need a change of scenery."

[snip]
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 96950 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: David Carr's Future - From Pro Football Weekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysTexansFan View Post
I was thrilled with the team's win on Sunday and thought Carr played a good game. I don't want to be a killjoy, but here is an interesting piece from PFW, which cites a "source close to the club" as saying he is no better than a 50-50 chance to return to the Texans next year.

If he doesn't return, I wish him the best and hope he plays great on Sunday so his trade value increases. I trust Kubiak to make the right decision, and if he thinks the team will be better off with Plummer, that's fine with me.

http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/The...It/default.htm

"Is David Carr about to play his final game in Houston?

Carr was the Texans’ first-ever draft choice, and he has started all but a handful of the franchise’s games. But the team might be readying to move on without him, the way we hear it.

Texans head coach Gary Kubiak has said that Carr’s status will be evaluated in the offseason, and a source close to the club suggests that Carr is no better than a 50-50 shot to return for a sixth season in Houston. The 27-year-old quarterback is scheduled to make $5.25 million in salary in 2007 and $6 million in ’08, and he could draw interest from other teams looking to pick up a talented veteran who might just need a change of scenery."

[snip]

"If the Texans look to replace Carr, expect Broncos QB Jake Plummer’s name to bounce about the rumor mill, given Kubiak’s work with Plummer as Denver’s offensive coordinator."

I just can't put any credence into an article that has both "IF" and "RUMOR MILL" in the same sentence....
Old 12-26-2006   #3
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3753 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans head coach Gary Kubiak has said that Carr’s status will be evaluated in the offseason, and a source close to the club suggests that Carr is no better than a 50-50 shot to return for a sixth season in Houston. The 27-year-old quarterback is scheduled to make $5.25 million in salary in 2007 and $6 million in ’08, and he could draw interest from other teams looking to pick up a talented veteran who might just need a change of scenery

Well I wonder who the source is...John McLame, John Lopez, or another know it all. A source close to the club, lol. The season isn't over yet and wow, we have someone saying that Carr has a 50% chance of coming back, well geez, that's not really telling anyone anything...The one thing about unnamed sources is that I don't believe it until I hear the HC or owner say it..until then, with 1 game yet to be played, I don't pay any attention..
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #4
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
"If the Texans look to replace Carr, expect Broncos QB Jake Plummer’s name to bounce about the rumor mill, given Kubiak’s work with Plummer as Denver’s offensive coordinator."

I just can't put any credence into an article that has both "IF" and "RUMOR MILL" in the same sentence....
I see your point, but remember PFW is the leading trade publication of the NFL, and their access to credible sources within the NFL is second to none. This isn't a rumor that was published in ProFootballTalk.com, which I also enjoy. There is more substance to this, but I'm fully aware that this is all speculation at this point. Kubiak has said DC will be evaluated after the season is over, and I take him at his word.
Old 12-26-2006   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to think that everyone is in agreement that this is not news and we would also agree that we would like to see him perfom well in a win against the Browns.
Old 12-26-2006   #6
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:

signed and agreed. keeping Carr and making him backup or at least compete for job is the best scenario for Texans next year. if sage sucks, Carr is back. If Sage is good, the Texans will be improved and win more and we have depth at QB in case of injury. Its a Win-Win situation. The only way I would accept Plummer is if he was willing to play for just about nothing besides incentives and HUGE playoff bonuses.

I don't buy this quoted article. Carr doesnt have a lot of trade value because teams will just wait for us to cut him and save their draft picks and players. That is how the NFL works nowadays. Don't pay for someone's discarded leftovers when you can just pick it out of the garbage for free.
Old 12-26-2006   #7
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
signed and agreed. keeping Carr and making him backup or at least compete for job is the best scenario for Texans next year. if sage sucks, Carr is back. If Sage is good, the Texans will be improved and win more and we have depth at QB in case of injury. Its a Win-Win situation. The only way I would accept Plummer is if he was willing to play for just about nothing besides incentives and HUGE playoff bonuses.

I don't buy this quoted article. Carr doesnt have a lot of trade value because teams will just wait for us to cut him and save their draft picks and players. That is how the NFL works nowadays. Don't pay for someone's discarded leftovers when you can just pick it out of the garbage for free.
I have to disagree with you. Carr is way too expensive to keep as a backup. Either he starts or he should be let go. If Plummer comes, I think his price would be a lot lower than Carr's will be next year, and I agree his deal should be laden with incentives.

I don't think the article says Carr has a lot of trade value, it just says he could draw interest. Even Joey Harrington got Detroit a 5th or 6th round pick, so I would think Carr would be worth something more than that. If we could get a 3rd or 4th for him, I would take it (if the team decides to go in another direction).
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2006   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 96950 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see your point, but remember PFW is the leading trade publication of the NFL, and their access to credible sources within the NFL is second to none. This isn't a rumor that was published in ProFootballTalk.com, which I also enjoy. There is more substance to this, but I'm fully aware that this is all speculation at this point. Kubiak has said DC will be evaluated after the season is over, and I take him at his word.
Oh, I agree that it is one of the most credible publications out there, I just have reservations with "50/50 chance", "rumor mills", and "if's". I find that these type of articles (regardless of which publication) are journalistically lazy.

It's kind of like some politicians who say a lot of words, without ever telling you anything.
Old 12-26-2006   #9
MrMeToo
All Pro

5 years as a Texan is enough for Carr.I don't care if he's only been in the current system for a year because he has looked mediocre at best.He might do better some where else but Plummer is a better fit for the Texans because his experience under Kubiak.I can't wait for Carr to slowly progress in the offense.
Old 12-26-2006   #10
real

I don't think the article is saying anything that isn't already known....

I don't know if they will actually pull the trigger on a trade, but I fully expect them to entertain offers....
Old 12-26-2006   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
I have to disagree with you. Carr is way too expensive to keep as a backup. Either he starts or he should be let go. If Plummer comes, I think his price would be a lot lower than Carr's will be next year, and I agree his deal should be laden with incentives.

I don't think the article says Carr has a lot of trade value, it just says he could draw interest. Even Joey Harrington got Detroit a 5th or 6th round pick, so I would think Carr would be worth something more than that. If we could get a 3rd or 4th for him, I would take it (if the team decides to go in another direction).
Carr is expensive whether we keep him or not. I just don't see Plummer as any better than Sage. Couple that with the fact that Sage is already signed and has shown promise when given a chance. Would Carr be an expensive backup? Hell yeah, he is but I just dont think its that important to get rid of when he is going to cost you $$ either way. Either way, whether Carr is kept as backup or trade, I will be satisfied that the team is moving forward with or without him. My only worry is that he is anointed starter for another year. That hasn't worked for 5 years so how can they delude themselves to thinking it will work this next year.

I get your point though and agree its not a great situation the Texans currently find themselves in. I just don't want to make moves that are essentially lateral yet higher in overall cost aka Release/Trade Carr and Sign Plummer.
Old 12-26-2006   #12
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:

Yeah, well, this is looking like Richard Gere's ride on the hamster wheel. I hope we do not drop Carr and add Plummer.

I really, really, really hope we do not drop Carr and add Plummer.

Really, really.

Really.

C'mon, Kubiak. I know you've worked with Plummer, but let's try something different. At the very least, let's try to get someone the Broncos would want.

Maybe we should see what the Browns have available?
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #13
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3753 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Well as for keeping or trading or releasing David, his contract would be extremely high in a back up role, but I think until the Texans build an O-line, OR get a QB that you know can take the hits day in and day out like David does, I would keep David for reasons other than his leadership or lack there of. Say what you want, and we all have, but there is not a QB in the NFL today that is as durable now than David. That has worth today in the league.

Could Sage handle the hits as often? Who knows for sure, and he might not put himself in the situations David has over the years to put himself in harms way. But unless I know for certain the O-line has been beefed up, David is as a sure thing when it comes to suiting up come Sundays. He would be a valuable asset to alot of teams that already had a #1 QB.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #14
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Carr is expensive whether we keep him or not. I just don't see Plummer as any better than Sage. Couple that with the fact that Sage is already signed and has shown promise when given a chance. Would Carr be an expensive backup? Hell yeah, he is but I just dont think its that important to get rid of when he is going to cost you $$ either way. Either way, whether Carr is kept as backup or trade, I will be satisfied that the team is moving forward with or without him. My only worry is that he is anointed starter for another year. That hasn't worked for 5 years so how can they delude themselves to thinking it will work this next year.

I get your point though and agree its not a great situation the Texans currently find themselves in. I just don't want to make moves that are essentially lateral yet higher in overall cost aka Release/Trade Carr and Sign Plummer.
You're right, if we get rid of Carr, he's going to occupy a lot of cap space for a year or two. Just like Wade and Walker will occupy a lot of cap space in 2007. I also agree with you that if Plummer comes, he should not be handed the starting job. But I think Kubiak would make it clear to him that he has to earn the job over Sage. Plummer has already expressed a desire to be reunited with Kubiak, so I don't think not being handed the job on a silver platter would be a deal-killer if Plummer is released, as I think he will be.

If we keep Carr, I'm with you that he has to earn the job over Sage in training camp.
Old 12-26-2006   #15
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The better Carr plays against Cleveland, probably the better chance he gets traded, particularly if he has a lights out game.

Here me out here...

Regardless of what Carr does against Cleveland, I seriously doubt it will change Kubiak's mind with whatever he is feeling about Carr. Kubiak has worked with him long enough to know where he stands and one game isn't going to change it one way or the other.

So the higher Carr's value is, the easier it is to unload him and less of the bite considering his contract extension. I am saying maybe they can work a deal with another team.

However, I am sure McNair will stick his nose in the situation and not allow it if Carr plays a great game. McNair is so vested in Carr it is beyond ridiculous.

Also, if Carr does have a lights out game against Cleveland, moves on to somewhere else and plays like Brees has done later in his career, it could be even more egg on the Texans face if they continue to struggle and lose many games.

Keeping or getting rid of Carr is a risky endeavor from a face perspective considering how many chances they have given him. There is an arguement to just let the thing run it's course.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #16
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
particularly if he has a lights out game.

Quick.....

Tell me the last time Carr had a lights out game.....

tick....tick....tick.....
Old 12-26-2006   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Quick.....

Tell me the last time Carr had a lights out game.....

tick....tick....tick.....
That is what is scary. The Colts game is suppossed to trump 5 years of mediocrity? I think he played great against the backdrop of his entire career. Unfortunately we are not in a pay as you go league.
Old 12-26-2006   #18
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
You're right, if we get rid of Carr, he's going to occupy a lot of cap space for a year or two. Just like Wade and Walker will occupy a lot of cap space in 2007. I also agree with you that if Plummer comes, he should not be handed the starting job. But I think Kubiak would make it clear to him that he has to earn the job over Sage. Plummer has already expressed a desire to be reunited with Kubiak, so I don't think not being handed the job on a silver platter would be a deal-killer if Plummer is released, as I think he will be.

If we keep Carr, I'm with you that he has to earn the job over Sage in training camp.
Of course Plummer wants to be reunited with Kubiak. Kubiak made him look good, but unfortunately Kubiak can not put on a helmet and play for Plummer when it's choke time. Don't sell your ZZ Top's Greatest Hits album for $2 and buy the ZZ Top's Other Greatest Hits album for $10.

David is showing progress, and if Kubiak kicks him to the curb, I think he has little credibility in his future role as a mentor. We can have an alternative like Rosenfels and groom someone else like Porter while we keep Carr.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #19
afcman
Veteran

Bottom line: it's time to part ways. For the good of the Texans AND Carr. The team NEEDS a jump start from somebody. We passed on Bush and Young which would have given a spark at the very LEAST. So lets see what happens with THIS draft. I'm looking forward to it.
afcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #20
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
That is what is scary. The Colts game is suppossed to trump 5 years of mediocrity? I think he played great against the backdrop of his entire career. Unfortunately we are not in a pay as you go league.
If we can run the ball like we did against the Colts every week then Carr is our man....

But since we're not going to be playing the worst ranked run defense every week.....I'm a tad bit skeptical....

I give Carr props for those key throws he made to get us into field goal position at the end of the game....But IMO, he didn't have a stellar game....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read