Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-26-2006   #1
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Motor City Bowl, Players to watch tonite

Motor City Bowl, Dec. 26 (ESPN, 7:30 ET)

Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan
Staley is a converted tight end who has gained more than 70 pounds since stepping on campus at Central Michigan as a true freshman in 2003. He continues to improve his overall strength, which is considered his biggest knock as a pro prospect. On the flip side, it's rare to find an offensive lineman with such quick feet and 4.8-second speed in the 40-yard dash. Staley held his own early this season against big-boy competition (Boston College and Michigan). Strong postseason workouts could elevate Staley into the late-first-round range of next April's draft.

Dan Bazuin, DE, Central Michigan
Bazuin is a fierce, instinctive and speedy defensive end who has notched 8.5 sacks, four forced fumbles and one fumble return, which he took 32 yards to the house. He lacks ideal base and is a bit tightly wound, but Bazuin makes enough big plays as an up-the-field defender to warrant late-first-day consideration.

From ESPN Insider, Todd McShay

Last edited by Texian; 12-26-2006 at 11:08 AM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #2
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Motor City Bowl, Players to watch tonite

Joe Staley Interview
October 13, 2006

Big guys with the athleticism and nimble feet needed to play the critical left tackle position at the NFL level are extremely rare and as a result they are always among the most coveted prospects available when the NFL Draft rolls around. One prospect who has the physical tools that scouts look for is Joe Staley of Central Michigan. Joe talked with Scott Wright as he finishes up his college career and gets ready to take his game to the next level.

Scott Wright: What is your accurate height, weight and forty time?

Joe Staley: I am currently 6'5" 305 lbs and run a 4.70 40.

Scott Wright: You actually played tight end as a true freshman in 2003 and since then you have added about 70 pounds and moved to the offensive line. Did you have a hard time bulking up and what do you think your ideal weight will eventually be?

Joe Staley: I was really thin and lanky when I came to CMU, so it was more of a natural thing that I just filled out a little bit. I worked really hard with our strength coach Paul Longo as well to make sure I put on healthy weight and didn't lose any footspeed. I feel that my ideal playing weight is somewhere around 315. I think I have the body type to hold another 20 pounds pretty easily.

Scott Wright: One thing scouts might question leading up to the draft is the level of competition you play against on a weekly basis. How do you answer those critics?

Joe Staley: We played a tough out of conference schedule this year, playing Boston College, Michigan, and Kentucky. So feel free to watch me against any of those guys. I know we have some great talent in the MAC as well.

Scott Wright: What would you say is your greatest strength as a football player and what area do you need to work on?

Joe Staley: My greatest strength is my feet. I feel I have good footwork and I use that to my advantage a lot. I am also an intelligent football player. I need to be more explosive on my base blocks and get more drive off of the ball in the run game.

Scott Wright: What is your greatest football moment to date?

Joe Staley: Any time you win a game it is a special moment for me because of all the hard work it takes to get that done, but some of my favorite moments are beating Western in 2004 because they are a huge rival of ours and the way we came back in the fourth quarter, and beating Toledo last year, just because we were huge underdogs.

Scott Wright: Who is the best player you have faced during your career?

Joe Staley: I have the privilege of going against Dan Bazuin everyday in practice. He is just amazing at what he does.

Scott Wright: Is there one younger player at Central Michigan that you see developing into a star, either at the college or pro level?

Joe Staley: We have a few freshman that I see really having great careers; Dan LeFevour (QB), Bryan Anderson (WR), and Frank Zombo (DE).

Scott Wright: Who was your favorite college or pro team growing up? Did you have a favorite player?

Joe Staley: My dad is from Pittsburgh, so I grew up a huge Steelers fan. Being from Michigan, I really enjoyed watching Barry Sanders play during his career.

Scott Wright: What NFL offensive linemen do you most admire and who do you think you compare favorably to?

Joe Staley: I really like watching Alan Faneca play, just because he is such a mauler. He really gets after people. I feel like I compare to Jordan Gross. We are both athletic guys at the tackle position.

Scott Wright: What current pro are you looking forward to going up against in the NFL?

Joe Staley: Whoever plays for my first opponent. That first game is going to be such a rush for me.

Scott Wright: At what point did you realize that you might have a future in football beyond college?

Joe Staley: To tell you the truth, I didn't think I had a future in football outside of high school. Ha. I have just been blessed with unbelievable support and I have continued to develop.

Scott Wright: What do you plan to do once your playing career is over?

Joe Staley: I really want to get into coaching. I would love to be around football as long as I can.

Scott Wright: When you get your first professional paycheck what is the first thing you will buy?

Joe Staley: I'll probably go out to dinner. I would love a nice truck though.

Scott Wright: Have you thought about how you will prepare for the NFL Draft after the season is over in terms of training facilities or all-star games such as the Senior Bowl?

Joe Staley: I have been invited to the Senior Bowl, so I will go to that. As far as where I will train, I just know that I am not going to stay at CMU.

Scott Wright: Obviously it is still early, but do you have any goals in mind when it comes to the NFL Draft (Round One, Top 3 Rounds, etc.)?

Joe Staley: I just want to hear my name called, and to be given an opportunity. All I need is that opportunity.

Scott Wright: Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions and good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-26-2006   #3
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Joe Staley would be a great pick for the Texans in the 2nd round if he falls from the late first. As of now, I'm naming him my 2nd annual "DeMeco Ryans" prospect (the first was, err ... DeMeco Ryans) - top 10 guy looking at going in the early 2nd.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #4
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be watching.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #5
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg01 View Post
Joe Staley would be a great pick for the Texans in the 2nd round if he falls from the late first. As of now, I'm naming him my 2nd annual "DeMeco Ryans" prospect (the first was, err ... DeMeco Ryans) - top 10 guy looking at going in the early 2nd.
Right now I have penciled in LaRon Landry S, LSU #1, Antoine Cason CB, Arizona #2, Kyle Shotwell, LB Cal Poly #3. I think Staley will be a day 2 pick and his teammate Dan Bazuin will go before Joe.

Last edited by Texian; 12-26-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-26-2006   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As of now, I'm naming him my 2nd annual "DeMeco Ryans" prospect - top 10 guy looking at going in the early 2nd.
I'm not sure if I would go that far but you do bring up an interesting concept

I've watched Staley before & he is a solid 1st day pick, most likey 2nd or early 3rd rd pick. he is not a top 10 guy who slips into the 2nd, actually DeMeco was a top 20 prospect, not a top 10 prospect who slipped into the 2nd rd. so lets widen the bandwidth of the prospects. My pick who should be considered a top 20 prospect but who may slip because of system or need & will become a starter making impact as a rookie is DT Amobi Okoye, Louisville. He would come right in here at 19 years old and start next to Mario Williams & the right side of the Texans line would be set for the next 10 years. I think they would feed off each other and play at a much higher level than what we've seen so far, making the Texans brain trust look genius as they did with the DeMeco Ryans pick

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #7
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

The key thing about Staley in my mind is that he not only plays well, he recovers well when a defender starts to get the better of him - he finds ways to keep the defender from being able to make the play.

He basically hits the trifecta of "draft steal" factors:

1. Low media exposure (Central Michigan)
2. Some experience at position, but not a whole lot (2 seasons as LT)
3. Fierce work ethic combined with superior athleticism

I really think this guy could be something special. He has both run and pass blocking and is a very hard worker. As mentioned above, even when he gets beat, he doesn't get "beat" - maybe gets pushed back, but won't allow the defender to disengage him to hit the QB, for instance.
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2006   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was in awe of the greatness that was DeAngelo Williams in this game last year.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The key thing about Staley in my mind is that he not only plays well, he recovers well when a defender starts to get the better of him - he finds ways to keep the defender from being able to make the play.

He basically hits the trifecta of "draft steal" factors:

1. Low media exposure (Central Michigan)
2. Some experience at position, but not a whole lot (2 seasons as LT)
3. Fierce work ethic combined with superior athleticism

I really think this guy could be something special. He has both run and pass blocking and is a very hard worker. As mentioned above, even when he gets beat, he doesn't get "beat" - maybe gets pushed back, but won't allow the defender to disengage him to hit the QB, for instance.
I don't have a problem with you views, as I mentioned I liked his game the last time I watched him play but he is not the tackle prospect that Andrew Whitworth, LSU was last draft. Andrew was a four year starter, played on a National Championship team, showed outstanding community service during the Katrina nightmare/character & was not selected until the 2nd rd. (55th) so I don't get the trifecta thing for Staley or how because of it he would be rated higher than Whitworth/mid 2nd rd.(Starting @ LT for the Bengals).

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-26-2006   #10
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Andrew Whitworth, LSU was last draft.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that everyone who didn't wouldn't be a good choice. It's just that great guys with lower profiles tend to go lower than good guys with top notch profiles. I'd much rather grab a guy that slides under the radar if he's a big need. Left Tackle is a big need.

I liked Whitworth for the Bengals. Good solid choice. I'm not sure I'd argue that he's the same level of dominance that a DeMeco Ryans represented, however.

DeMeco fell because he was initially underrated a bit (size issues), and then got overshadowed by the workout warriors - Sims and Carpenter. Sims turned out to be a heck of a player, Carpenter did not. Rating Ryans under Hawk is excusable, but rating him under Greenway and Carpenter is almost criminal.

Staley's in the same situation. You have a clear #1 hyped guy in Joe Thomas (equates to AJ Hawk) and high profile OL like Levi Brown and Justin Blalock who will be rated ahead of him due to "competition issues" - basically an issue that doesn't really affect how well he can play his position, like DeMeco's size. The one fly in the ointment is that Staley's likely to work out well and could significantly raise his profile by draft day.

Cross draft comparisons to last year aren't going to work. That class was just too strong. You knew there'd be borderline 1st rounders in the 3rd - and that's exactly what happened.
Old 12-26-2006   #11
Texian
Hall of Fame

Bazuin is having a BIG game. He has pressured QB the whole 1st half. He went down when OT went at his knees and was down for a while. He got up and ran off.

Staley is doing a good job. They are primarily running to the right so you haven't seen much in his way of run blocking. Staley has moved to the 2nd level and taken out a lb a few times. He is quick. Passing block has been good but it doesn't appear he has much competiton.
Old 12-26-2006   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Look at Middle Tenn.'s LT. I think he can be a late round or undrafted Texan as a G. He would be #54
Old 12-26-2006   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Look at Middle Tenn.'s LT. I think he can be a late round or undrafted Texan as a G. He would be #54
http://www.goblueraiders.com/player....dunbar/id/1918

Franklin Dunbar, redshirted Sophmore.
Old 12-26-2006   #14
texaslifter
Veteran

That DE Kazuin had a -monster- hit on the QB earlier, as well as a hard pressure that caused a INT for a TD. Pretty solid play from what I'm seeing. Can't be any better than situational pass rusher Babin though.
texaslifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not sure if I would go that far but you do bring up an interesting concept

I've watched Staley before & he is a solid 1st day pick, most likey 2nd or early 3rd rd pick. he is not a top 10 guy who slips into the 2nd, actually DeMeco was a top 20 prospect, not a top 10 prospect who slipped into the 2nd rd. so lets widen the bandwidth of the prospects. My pick who should be considered a top 20 prospect but who may slip because of system or need & will become a starter making impact as a rookie is DT Amobi Okoye, Louisville. He would come right in here at 19 years old and start next to Mario Williams & the right side of the Texans line would be set for the next 10 years. I think they would feed off each other and play at a much higher level than what we've seen so far, making the Texans brain trust look genius as they did with the DeMeco Ryans pick

You have your DT sleeper to pimp, I'll campaign for mine: Brandon Mebane from Cal. I see him as a better fit in our 4-3 and he can get after the passer. He likes to be in the backfield and fires off the LOS to get there.

I worry about Okoye on our team. I really see him as a perfect NT. I see him more of a 2 gap DT as opposed to a 1 gap/penatrator DT. I could very well be wrong, and we can both watch more tape on each others guys beerlover, but for now, I'll pimp Mebane over Okoye.
Old 12-26-2006   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:

I liked Whitworth for the Bengals. Good solid choice. I'm not sure I'd argue that he's the same level of dominance that a DeMeco Ryans represented, however.
my fault for not making myself clear. I was comparing Andrew Whitworth as a LT prospect to Joe Staley LT prospect. meaning Whitworth was a better prospect coming out than Joe Staley & he almost slipped to the 3rd rd.

in reference to your concept

Quote:
Joe Staley would be a great pick for the Texans in the 2nd round if he falls from the late first. As of now, I'm naming him my 2nd annual "DeMeco Ryans" prospect (the first was, err ... DeMeco Ryans) - top 10 guy looking at going in the early 2nd
my 2nd round "DeMeco Ryans" prospect this year would be DT Amobi Okoye, Louisville. hope that clears things up, have a nice day

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-26-2006   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

my 2nd round "DeMeco Ryans" prospect this year would be DT Amobi Okoye, Louisville. hope that clears things up, have a nice day
I agree here, IF Okoye falls to the second, he is a Meco type story/talent. However, I feel Mebane will still be a better fit for our supposed style of defense.
Old 12-26-2006   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ya just might wanna wait and see what the guy lifts at the combine. He lifts like a WR. He's Wand II. He's got the foot speed for sure. Just saying.
Old 12-26-2006   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Ya just might wanna wait and see what the guy lifts at the combine. He lifts like a WR. He's Wand II. He's got the foot speed for sure. Just saying.
I was wondering if I was the only one who saw Wand in Staley.
Old 12-26-2006   #20
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Announcers said earlier that Staley could lift 225 28 reps and run a 4.7 40. Let's hope he gets invited to the combine. Even so I think Staley will be a late first day early second day pick.

Dan Bazuin the DE will most likely be a 2nd-3rd pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read