Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: which round will a QB be taken???
wont draft a QB 20 28.99%
1st 6 8.70%
2nd 11 15.94%
3rd 21 30.43%
4th 7 10.14%
6th 3 4.35%
7th 1 1.45%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2006   #1
johndoe
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 johndoe was voted MVPjohndoe was voted MVPjohndoe was voted MVP
Default take a QB in the draft???

if we were to take a QBin the upcoming draft which round do yall think it will be???

dont think we will pick a qb
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
6th
7th
johndoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: take a QB in the draft???

don't think we pick qb either unless t. smith miraculously falls to us in the 2nd. after that maybe kolb in third but we should probably pick fs, cb,lb,dt,ol all before qb unless someone great falls so us in a later round.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

After watching that secondary get burned so much throughout the season, I'm hoping at least two of our first four picks are in the secondary. As much as I want a new QB, it would be a waste to draft one since Kubiak only carries two QBs on the roster.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #4
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 3825 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

I think we need O-line, D-backs, and RB( in that order) more than a QB. We saw Sunday that Carr is serviceable with a good o-line and running game. I just can't see drafting a QB. That position is not our greatest need.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #5
Aztequila
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Aztequila

No QBs, just O-line and a Running Back.
Old 12-26-2006   #6
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

While Carr had a nice day with good protection, the horrible secondary showed that no matter the QB play, the team won't be consistent unless there are some changes at DB.

I also don't think RB is a need, not when Ron Dayne has been averaging 100 yards in the past few weeks. I saw some flashes in Taylor...he's a keeper.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #7
TSgt.Texan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNTLEWOLF View Post
I think we need O-line, D-backs, and RB( in that order) more than a QB. We saw Sunday that Carr is serviceable with a good o-line and running game. I just can't see drafting a QB. That position is not our greatest need.
Diddo except don't just give Carr the job make him earn it in training camp or bring in a Vet. i.e Garcia or Plumer.
TSgt.Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2006   #8
J-Storm
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to J-Storm

As much of a Carr fan as I am, I would like to see a QB on the roster that we can groom for the near future (I took the Rd 3 option in the poll). I don't know if bringing in an old hack is the way to go, it all depends on who we could get in here before the draft I suppose. If we couldn't get a servicable (sp?) back up veteran that can push Carr, then keeping Sage on the roster to push him and bringing in someone to learn the system is my preferred option...JMO!
Old 12-26-2006   #9
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Carr looks nice when things go according to plan. The problem is that I don't see him capable of carrying the team if the defense and rushing attack are absent for a game. Many other QB's can win shoot outs, but Carr doesn't seem one of them.
Old 12-26-2006   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I chose not to vote. I would MUCH rather see the Texans draft some DB's, OL and DL. RB in the later rounds. Has anyone heard any more about Spencer's injury? Last I heard, it MAY be career threatening due to the location of the break. I mentioned DL cuz I doubt if Payne will make it back from this latest stint on IR. When the man gets injured, he gets injured in a bad way.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #11
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4662 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not sure that Garcia will be an option for any team to pick up, as far as plummer i think he's a good QB but i don't see him being much better than what we got. he made the same mistakes that davey made, only difference is he had someone who could take his spot, now had Rosenfels been there for a year or two and wasn't hurt. Carr would have been out of job or became the second string.
Old 12-26-2006   #12
whiskeyrbl

I agree with the toast of a secondary we have we need to improve our secondary and LB spots (Except MLB). As much as I think we may need to get a new QB, we may need to look at FA this year for one. Next year look at Colt Brennan from Univ. of Hawaii.
Old 12-26-2006   #13
TNTitan
Veteran

just not in the first round. that wouldnt look good at all
TNTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #14
MIGHTYTEX
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
While Carr had a nice day with good protection, the horrible secondary showed that no matter the QB play, the team won't be consistent unless there are some changes at DB.

I also don't think RB is a need, not when Ron Dayne has been averaging 100 yards in the past few weeks. I saw some flashes in Taylor...he's a keeper.
I agree with this statement. As for the RB position I think if we keep Dayne we'll be set with Davis, Dayne, Lundy, Taylor if Davis comes back 100%
Old 12-26-2006   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
I agree with the toast of a secondary we have we need to improve our secondary and LB spots (Except MLB). As much as I think we may need to get a new QB, we may need to look at FA this year for one. Next year look at Colt Brennan from Univ. of Hawaii.
Why? His mechanics suck and there will be more questions about them than when Carr was coming out. He is undersized as it is, and seems reluctant to stand erect in the pocket. He lacks a good arm, and seems to bend his knee's similiar to Carr when in the pocket. Carr was a MUCH better prospect coming out, but Brennan shares the same faults as Carr but is much LESS of a prospect than Carr. I'll pass.
Old 12-26-2006   #16
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

mechanics are such a non-issue with scouts.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
mechanics are such a non-issue with scouts.
To a point. But then you have to factor it in with other oddities such as size, conference, current offense, and other various physical abilities where he comes up short. I wouldn't take him before the 3rd this year, and I would not draft him period if I were Rick Smith. I would dangle the pick and move back.
Old 12-26-2006   #18
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

the only real pressing concern that scouts have with him is his size, and most think he can bulk up a bit more anyway.

the conference is a non-factor, and teams have shown before that the offense a QB plays in doesn't seem to bother them much.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
the only real pressing concern that scouts have with him is his size, and most think he can bulk up a bit more anyway.

the conference is a non-factor, and teams have shown before that the offense a QB plays in doesn't seem to bother them much.
I think you're being overly optimistic with him. He is short, undersized, has almost a side arm release, can't hit a deep out, doesn't have a great arm, and has not proven to be able to run anything other than the run and gun.
Old 12-26-2006   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt he is able to look down the field in the pocket (NFL) & question his arm strength because he throws falling back & off balance alot (the ball floats too much)

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read