Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-25-2006   #1
Dime
Hall of Fame

Default End of Days - Rate time

One game left.. Rate the player for thier year of play and why. If injured, please rate them till they got injured.

Offense Thread

QB

David Carr

Sage Rosenfields

RB

Wali Lundy

Ron Dayne

Sam Gado

Chris Taylor

WR

Andre Johnson

Erik Moulds

Kevin Walter

Jerome Mathis

FB

Cook

Leach

TE

Owen Daniels

Jeb Putzier

Mark Bruener

OL

Salaam

Pitts

Spencer

Winston

Weary

Hodgdon

McKinney

Bedell
Old 12-25-2006   #2
Dime
Hall of Fame

Default Re: End of Days - Rate time

Offense Thread

QB

David Carr - (C-) Carr had a very good game last time, but he needs alot of work. I dont know if this is the place for him because he has lost alot of respect from the fans. He does try hard, but he is too inconsistant at times, and plays below the norm in pressure. Kub is going to have a decision here at the end of the season

Sage Rosenfields - (Unable to Grade) Looked good the games he played, but sadly, was injured before we could see a good look at him.

RB

Wali Lundy - (B-) For a 6th round pick, this dude has ran hard. At worst, he gets traded for a much higher pick he came in at. Other then that, he is a good runner who will only get better with time. He runs good, but not as hard as I would like. Doesnt have to many yards after contact, but does a good job.

Ron Dayne - (B+) If Dayne continues like he has the last 4 games, we have a starter. His legs dont stop and he has many yards after 1st, 2nd, even 3rd contacts. Holds onto the ball.. looking good.

Sam Gado - (C-) Hasnt been running like I would like to see. Gets bottled up quick, and cant punch holes. Need more exposure to him though to make a fair call.

Chris Taylor - (Not Rated) Not enough exposure to see. I like what I see, but not enough to make a call.

WR

Andre Johnson - (B) Awesome player, but has several critical drops at very bad times. He can light up the field when he senses the victory.

Erik Moulds - (B) Does what he can and has been catching balls. He just doesnt get open as much as I would expect from him.

Kevin Walter - (B+) Walter catches almost anything thrown his way, but he doesnt get looked at much.

Jerome Mathis - (C+) Mathis has played very little, but looks good. Just worried about his maturity.
Old 12-25-2006   #3
skillz24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime View Post
One game left.. Rate the player for thier year of play and why. If injured, please rate them till they got injured.

Offense Thread

QB

David Carr

Sage Rosenfields

RB

Wali Lundy

Ron Dayne

Sam Gado

Chris Taylor

WR

Andre Johnson

Erik Moulds

Kevin Walter

Jerome Mathis

FB

Cook

Leach

TE

Owen Daniels

Jeb Putzier

Mark Bruener

OL

Salaam

Pitts

Spencer

Winston

Weary

Hodgdon

McKinney

Bedell
QB Carr B Rosenfels I
RB Dayne C+ Lundy C+ Gado C-
FB Cook D- Leach C
WR Johnson A Moulds B+ Mathis I
TE Daniels B+ Putzier C+ Bruener C-
T Salaam C Spencer I Weigart B- Winston C
G Pitts A Weary B McKinney D
skillz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #4
Zac
Rookie

This would be better served in a series of polls. Of course with someone keeping tab.
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #5
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just going to comment on the FB position

Drop Cook, he has cost us games

Leach is a beast (after watching him live this week) he's our future.

he was blowing up holes for Dayne and has solid hands and mobility for his size. I think we found our future FB

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 12-25-2006 at 11:48 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #6
Aztequila
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Aztequila

First of all, its hard to rate a lot of these players due to the inconsistency of play, playing time, and injuries, but I will try.

Offense Thread

QB

David Carr: B-, I am a Carr supporter, but I think he could have did a lot better, but given the injuries in the OL, and lsck of a running game for most of the year, I feel he did as good as anybody esle could have done.

Sage Rosenfields: A, Served as a good Backup, in that capacity he gets an A.

RB

Wali Lundy: B+, A lot of potential, but I need to see more of him, which would have came if he was consistent.

Ron Dayne: B, Good last few games, I would like to see him healthy for more than a couple of weeks in a row.

Sam Gado: C+, Didnt see enough of him, and when we did, it was nothing special

Chris Taylor: Incomplete, Really need to see more of him, he looks like he has some good explosive potential.

WR

Andre Johnson: A, Great year despite the terrible (though not so terrible considering last year). This is expected of him. He played like the pro-bowler he is.

Erik Moulds: A, Did his job. Provided the help we needed in the number 2 position.

Kevin Walter: B, He is coming up, he looked good in the Colts game.

Jerome Mathis: Incomplete, Please get healthy, and stay that way! He is the playmaker when it comes to returns.

FB

Cook: D, Maybe not the right guy for the job.

Leach: A, he scored a touchdown, Looked good versus the Colts, I'd keep him on.

TE

Owen Daniels: A, Nothing but blue skies ahead for this guy. Offensive Rookie of year for the team, no question.

Jeb Putzier: C, I can't say he made an impact either way.

Mark Bruener: C, Same as Putzier, but he does Block well

OL= D

Need to take another look at the whole line. Spencer gets a pass for injuries, but something needs to be done about the line.

Last edited by Aztequila; 12-26-2006 at 01:01 AM.
Aztequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Carr - Has played well at times, but has played poorly at times. When the OL and team around him play up to par, he does well. When they don't, he doesn't. This isn't really surprising - it's the case with most QBs in the league. Has made too many mistakes that were squarely on him and his weaknesses are glaring as long as the team can't do 7-step drops and throw down the field. Grade: C-

Rosenfels - I think the knee-jerk reaction around here is to praise Rosenfels for his one game in Tennessee because of the general distaste for Carr's play. However, he didn't show much in his second outing and the circumstances of the first outing were no different than the "garbage time" circumstances for which people disparage Carr. Grade: Incomplete

Lundy - Has done OK as a rookie, IMO. He will never be more than an average back, IMO, and is not as good as Davis was in a similar role. He doesn't have especally great vision, doesn't break arm tackles very well, doesn't seem to bounce off defenders very well, and doesn't make many people miss. He does get to the corner fairly well and takes good angles. He also has had to deal with a line that has been in a constant state of change and on balance, the line has played very poorly. Grade: C

Dayne - Has had a very nice 5-game stretch here recently. The line doesn't open large holes right now, so backs are going to have to pound it to get to the second level. Dayne has done that and it fits what this team can do right now. He's run the way people have been trying to get him to run for his entire career - big. There have been times earlier in the year when he could have done more, but he's come on recently and provided a much needed running game making something out of nothing. Grade: B

Gado - Has done very little to get himself on the field. I wasn't a big fan of the trade then and I am still not. He's had a few runs that give a glimmer of hope, but for the most part, he's been a non-factor. I have a hard time believing Morency wouldn't have been a better choice. Grade: F

Cook - I really didn't see him doing very much of note early in the year and then he contributed significantly to two very key losses. Personally, I am a bigger fan of the blocking FBs that make sure they bust some heads for their main back, like Mack Strong, Lorenzo Neal, Tony Richardson, and what Moran Norris did for this team. It's no accident that those FBs always have top rushers behind them. Cook never seemed to fit that role, to me, while Leach looks like he can. Grade: D-

Leach - Much of what I can say was said above. Since Leach has been starting, the running game has been more consistent, even though not stellar at times, and he's been a big part of it. He's made a couple nice catches and seems to be a guy that can do the job at his position. Grade: B+

A. Johnson - Has been the best offensive player on the team, but that's a lot like being the best kid in detention. He makes lots of catches, but many of them are somewhat meaningless. If AJ gets credit for making 100 catches, then Carr gets credit for completing those passes. If Carr gets blame for not throwing downfield, then AJ gets blame for not being there for him to do so. All I'm saying is it's a package deal. From the end-zone overhead view, the receivers seldom (some games, never) run routes between the hashes. The last couple games, the receivers have run routes down the middle of the field and we've seen some catches in that area. AJ drops a few too many balls. Many receivers drop balls, but AJ's always seem to be clutch drops. And he leads the league in going out of bounds at the 1 or 2-yard lines, I swear (unofficial stat there ). He has also had to deal with poor line play and poor QB play. Grade: A-

Moulds - Has had an influence on and off the field. His days of posting 90 catches and 1200 yards are over, but he's a reliable hands guy that fights for yardage. He did not receive as many opportunities as I had hoped this year, but he made do with the ones he had. It doesn't seem he can go deep anymore, as he tried a few times this year and was just blanketed. He got absolutely no separation in those plays, but he's good at running his routes and can find the open spot underneath - an area in which I feel AJ is still lacking. The 4th quarter throw from Carr to AJ in Sunday's win was the best example of AJ finding a soft spot in the zone all year, and I think Moulds has had a bit to do with AJ's progression there. Grade: B

Walter - Has had limited opportunities, but seems to make the most of what he gets. He's had reliable hands, which I like, and he makes first downs. All in all, I think he's done a solid, if unspectacular, job. He needs to be utilized more. Grade: C+

Owen Daniels - It's hard for me to judge tight ends because I don't pay as much attention to them in the blocking game as I should. OD has made some fine catches and has brought the receiving game back to the tight end position. I'm excited for his long-term prospects in a Texans uniform. The fact that he's been on the field as much as he has means he's doing something right in the blocking game, so I'm excited about that too. As a rookie, I don't think we could have expected much more from him. Grade: B

Spencer - Grade: Incomplete

Salaam - Has played through injury most of the year. I like his attitude and countenance in interviews. That said, he's beyond his prime, he's slow laterally, and he's played very poorly at times this year. He anchors one of the three worst offensive lines in the NFL. He's not as bad as Victor Riley, I guess. Grade: D-

Pitts - Has played almost every snap of the year. Has cut down on the false starts and other penalties. Has not made many glaring mistakes, such as letting defenders have a free pass at Carr. Has gotten beat as much as everyone else, however and he's an inaugural member of the worst offensive line in history. Grade: D-

Flanagan - Was not having a good year prior to going down to injury. He's better than Hodgdon, but that's not saying much. Was supposed to come in and boost the production of a bad offensive line and instead played poorly himself. The Eagles and Colts early in the year exposed him for the washed-up vet he is and the inevitable injuries did the rest. Grade: D-

Hodgdon - can't even snap the shotgun, according to Kubiak. That's kind of important for a center, I think. Got benched for McKinney, who hasn't played much of the year at all and wasn't slotted as a center this year. Played poorly for the most part, though he had moments when you had hope. Grade: F

McKinney - has been a non-factor for the most part, though Sunday's game was a great effort on his part. I think we've seen enough of McKinney to know what he offers at center, and that's not much. It's better than Hodgdon, though. He hasn't played ahead of Weary all year, for reasons unknown, but I'm sure performance plays into it. Grade: D- or Incomplete, take your choice

Weary - As an inaugural member of the Worst Line in History (tm), Weary has a special place in my heart, along with Pitts, Wiegert, and McKinney. Weary really didn't play much in earlier years, however. To his credit this year, he finally improved enough to be named a starter and see significant playing time - on one of the worst lines in the NFL this year. He gets sympathy points for being tasered this year, but the right side of the line has been bad for most of the year. Grade: D-

Wiegert - there are a lot of bad things I can say about Wiegert, but most of them are probably not suited for a family board. I'll just say that Wiegert is a better guard than tackle and that's not saying much. Grade: F

Winston - gets a rookie discount, so I won't blast him too much. However, many fans had high hopes for Winston coming into this season. In training camp, he didn't even manage to work his way into the argument for the left tackle position. He didn't beat out Wiegert for the right tackle position. He didn't beat out Salaam for the left tackle position and at one point, the team named a swing tackle that wasn't Winston. I'm not sure where his knees stand, so maybe the injuries held him back more than anticipated. He hasn't played especially well this year, though I will say he's looked progressively better. I'm hopeful. Grade: D

JMO, of course - YMMV.

Last edited by eriadoc; 12-26-2006 at 11:12 AM.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2006   #8
dantem
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
I'm just going to comment on the FB position

Drop Cook, he has cost us games

Leach is a beast (after watching him live this week) he's our future.

he was blowing up holes for Dayne and has solid hands and mobility for his size. I think we found our future FB
I agree, I watched him through the binoculars at the game... He was pancaking people all day. And he made a catch by his ankles that a lot ow WR's would have dropped.
dantem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #9
HeartofHouston
Veteran

QB

David Carr = C+
Sage Rosenfels = B+

RB

Wali Lundy = C+
Ron Dayne = B
Sam Gado = C+
Chris Taylor = B-

WR

Andre Johnson = B+
Erik Moulds = B+
Kevin Walter = C+
Jerome Mathis = A-

FB

Cook = B
Leach = C+

TE

Owen Daniels = A-
Jeb Putzier = B
Mark Bruener = B

OL

Salaam = C+
Pitts = C+
Spencer = B+
Winston = B
Weary = C
Hodgdon = C
McKinney = C+
Bedell = C[/quote]
Old 12-26-2006   #10
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Offense Thread

QB

David Carr - D+

Sage Rosenfields - INC

RB

Wali Lundy - C

Ron Dayne - B-

Sam Gado - INC

Chris Taylor - INC

WR

Andre Johnson - B

Erik Moulds - C+

Kevin Walter - C

Jerome Mathis - F

FB

Cook - D

Leach - B+

TE

Owen Daniels - B

Jeb Putzier - D+

Mark Bruener - D+

OL

Salaam - C

Pitts - C

Spencer - B-

Winston - C+

Weary - C+

Hodgdon - F

McKinney - D+

Bedell - C-
Old 12-26-2006   #11
AndreRulz
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to AndreRulz

QB

David Carr ~ B- ~ flashes early, but faded away late

Sage Rosenfields ~ B ~ limited playing time, did ok, then got hurt

RB

Wali Lundy ~ B- ~ few good games and some bad ones

Ron Dayne ~ B+ ~ didnt play much early, lately has been very good

Sam Gado ~ C ~ dissapointment did not do much

Chris Taylor ~ C+ ~ little playing time did ok.

WR

Andre Johnson ~ B+/A- ~ lots of catches not as many lately and some keep drops

Erik Moulds ~ B ~ ok season, not a lot of TDs.

Kevin Walter ~ C+ ~ good when he got the ball which was not often

Jerome Mathis ~ B- ~ did good in games he played in.

FB

Cook ~ B- ~ ok good, big fumble

Leach ~ B/B+ ~ good blocker and receiver

TE

Owen Daniels ~ B ~ good very early in the year

Jeb Putzier ~ C+ ~ about 1 decent catch a game

Mark Bruener ~ C ~ good blocker, ok in little playing time

OL

Salaam ~ C+ ~ ok when he played

Pitts ~ B- ~ ok player, missed a couple of big blocks

Spencer ~ B+/A- ~ maybe the lineman this year

Winston ~ B ~ good and played at both tackle positions

Weary ~ B ~ played pretty good

Hodgdon ~ B- ~ ok when he played

McKinney ~ C+/B- ~ not good enough

Bedell ~ C ~ didnt really play much
Old 12-26-2006   #12
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's mine.

QB

David Carr = C- (I expect this grade to rise next year)
Sage Rosenfels = B+

RB

Wali Lundy = C+
Ron Dayne = B+
Sam Gado = C-
Chris Taylor = C (this could change, if he gets more PT in the Cleveland game)

WR

Andre Johnson = A- (A+ if he didn't drop so many passes)
Erik Moulds = B+
Kevin Walter = B+
Jerome Mathis = D+ (would've been a F if not for that one great return)

FB

Cook = D-
Leach = A+

TE

Owen Daniels = A-
Jeb Putzier = B
Mark Bruener = B

OL

Salaam = C- (He's adequate, but still a sieve)
Pitts = B+ (It's hard to be good, if you can't count on the man next to you)
Spencer = B+
Winston = B+
Weary = C+ (Weary & Winston improved the running game on the right side)
Hodgdon = D- (I'm not real impressed with him)
McKinney = C+
Bedell = ? (He actually played?)

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #13
Texan1
Veteran

QB

David Carr - D

Sage Rosenfields - B+

RB

Wali Lundy - C

Ron Dayne - B+

Sam Gado - C-

Chris Taylor - INCMP

WR

Andre Johnson - A

Erik Moulds - B+

Kevin Walter - INCMP

Jerome Mathis - C

FB

Cook - B

Leach - A

TE

Owen Daniels - A+

Jeb Putzier - B

Mark Bruener - B

OL

Salaam - D

Pitts - D

Spencer - INCMP

Winston - B

Weary - B

Hodgdon - C-

McKinney - C

Bedell - INCMP
Texan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read