Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-25-2006   #1
supertankman
Rookie

Default Should the Texans draft the best player available this coming draft?

The Texans still have alot of holes to fill, our secondary is terrible, on the other side of the ball, we need a franchise OL to help the weak side. We also need a solid running back because I think Dominick Davis is prone to injury just like Mcgrady for the Rockets

I do think that Kubiak will bring in Plummer as a backup from Denver and I do not see us drafting another QB? What do you guys think, do we stick with the same gameplan as last year and keep trying to beef up the defense and go after FA's for the offense?
supertankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #2
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle
Default Re: Should the Texans draft the best player available this coming draft?

I say trade down if no O-lineman is worth taking where we are at. If AP is gone and you want to stay there, draft the best Safety/Cornerback/ or OLB to help Demeco with the load. Id like to see the O-line and CB position addressed through Free Agency since this years stock of O-lineman seems thin after Joe Thomas. The Texans needs to do EVERYTHING they can to sign Nate Clements because I feel finding a CB like him in the draft is a big time gamble, he is proven.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #3
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: Should the Texans draft the best player available this coming draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle View Post
I say trade down if no O-lineman is worth taking where we are at. If AP is gone and you want to stay there, draft the best Safety/Cornerback/ or OLB to help Demeco with the load. Id like to see the O-line and CB position addressed through Free Agency since this years stock of O-lineman seems thin after Joe Thomas. The Texans needs to do EVERYTHING they can to sign Nate Clements because I feel finding a CB like him in the draft is a big time gamble, he is proven.
It's not that easy.

There has to be (1) a team willing to trade down, (2) a team willing to trade down who offers legit compensation for the trade, and (3) a team willing to trade down who offers legit compensation for the trade who is trading from a spot where we can get a player who we want.

There aren't really any OT coming out this season worth trading down for and we could use a top 10 RB or FS, but even if there were some good OT grading mid-late first round, it's not as easy as snapping your fingers to move down.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #4
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Yeah, BPA all the time. Unless it's a position that's already set, but let's be honest we really don't have that now do we.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #5
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I think we have to go secondary in the first round. And at our pick (around 6-8 probably) the best player available will be Branch, Landry, or Hall. When our DL is healthy I think it will improve a lot considering we have a bunch of guys off the streets in there and we're getting some pressure and we have spent our last to first round picks on DL and I really don't want to go there again. So that leaves Landry and Hall, and we could use both and I would be happy with both.
Old 12-25-2006   #6
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Should be a combination of BPA and need, thats how we did so well last year. We took players that we needed that we good value picks.
Old 12-25-2006   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

if you pick at the top of the draft you are making a huge mistake drafting for need unless the best player available grades around the same as your need pick. Drafting for need is something teams should do in the second half of the first round and back imo....for the most part.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-25-2006   #8
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Let's say that the best player available to us is a wide receiver. Should we pick him so that we can have a bumper sticker saying "My other receiver is an Andre Johnson too."?

I think not.

Rick Smith is going to have to earn his salary this offseason. I am looking for a lot of horse trading with our draft picks and Free Agency to fill the holes in the O-Line and secondary. And of course to add to the mix is the status of Spencer and Davis. All I can say is "Good Luck Mr. Smith."
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
if you pick at the top of the draft you are making a huge mistake drafting for need unless the best player available grades around the same as your need pick. Drafting for need is something teams should do in the second half of the first round and back imo....for the most part.
taking strictly the bpa is what normal teams should do. The texans have so many needs that is is a lot easier to have the bpa or one extremely close to it at a position of much need. when you strictly draft for need is bad for other teams that really stretch that pick...say pick a guy that fits their need when his "draft grade" is many many spots lower.

Mario was a combination imo. need/bpa

For instance..Landry/Hall are both consistently top 10 players drafted in mocks (who knows what happens on draft day). Picking them based on need is not bad because they could be bpa or close. Picking a guy like Dwayne Jarret/ tedd ginn jr. who could potentially be bpa when we draft would not be a good idea. conversely picking an OL someone like levi brown maybe? at our #6-8 spot would probably be a stretch for them and a pick strictly for our need.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Texan View Post
Let's say that the best player available to us is a wide receiver. Should we pick him so that we can have a bumper sticker saying "My other receiver is an Andre Johnson too."?

I think not.

Rick Smith is going to have to earn his salary this offseason. I am looking for a lot of horse trading with our draft picks and Free Agency to fill the holes in the O-Line and secondary. And of course to add to the mix is the status of Spencer and Davis. All I can say is "Good Luck Mr. Smith."
I don't think that Arizona is unhappy with Boldin and Fitz. They have issues but their passing game is explosive.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #11
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Texan View Post

I think not.

I look forward to see what Rick can get us. He's done an amazingly good job so far, picking up players not on teams during the season and making it work. And the huge pickup of a much needed FB in Vonta Leach I honestly think this will be one of our best offseasons yet. I'd be pretty happy if it turned out like it did last year (we filled two needs in free agency: WR, DT; and four in the draft: TE, MLB, DE, OL - whatever ones you want to put Spencer and Winston in) If we can get a couple good players like last year (Moulds and Weaver) and then fill needs in the draft like we did last year, man will I be excited next year.
Old 12-25-2006   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

yes. first round is always BPA.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #13
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEROtheZERO View Post
It's not that easy.

There has to be (1) a team willing to trade down, (2) a team willing to trade down who offers legit compensation for the trade, and (3) a team willing to trade down who offers legit compensation for the trade who is trading from a spot where we can get a player who we want.

Yes, I know, Im just saying
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #14
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

As long as we dont draft by need like we did last year we know how that's turning out we missed out on two very specials players and got mario a decent player but not special
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #15
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Their are always some suprises in the top 10; by taking BPA we can see what gem may fall to us between 6-10.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #16
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year the FO had two guys tied for BPA.... Mario Williams and Reggie Bush. Since we needed a DE more than a RB at the time, the decision was made for Mario.

That is how I think all drafts in the first round should work. BPA with consideration of need.
Old 12-25-2006   #17
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

i think it depends on how you want to build your franchise. also how BAD is your need position.

i think last year bush was clearly the BPA at our pick. that being said williams was close enough and our defense was BAD enough that you could justify taking him over bush.
Old 12-25-2006   #18
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

You take the player who is going to have the biggest impact on your team. In the Texans case their weakest link is defensive secondary. LaRon Landry or Hall will instantly make them better.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #19
DenverBorn
Veteran

I think we'll draft at 9 and our choices will be Reggie Nelson or Levi Brown. I can see us going in either direction. I'd probably lean to OT as I think very capable safeties are available in rounds 2-4
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

In the words of Mick Jagger ... you cain't always get what you want .... but if you try sometimes ... you just might find ... you get what you need .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read