Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-22-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why are people so down on Greenwood?

On a team where we have almost zero talent, I would think Greenwood would be someone people like.

The coaches speak highly of him, he's got consistency down, and he comes up with big plays when he can.

Sure his cap number is too big, but if we don't save much by cutting him, why sacrifice another position?
Old 12-22-2006   #2
AndreRulz
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to AndreRulz
Default Re: Why are people so down on Greenwood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
On a team where we have almost zero talent, I would think Greenwood would be someone people like.

The coaches speak highly of him, he's got consistency down, and he comes up with big plays when he can.

Sure his cap number is too big, but if we don't save much by cutting him, why sacrifice another position?
I am not down on him.
he just is getting overpaided.
Old 12-22-2006   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

If you like mediocre players...he's your man.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
If you like mediocre players...he's your man.
mediocrity breeds.....well.....mediocrity

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #5
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Greenwood's shown some improvement this year. I still wouldn't call him anything other than "passable", but it's been enough that I wouldn't be pissed if we fixed the other OLB spot instead of his.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Greenwood has shown some improvements.... he's playing better than he did last year.

But he still gives up too many big plays.....
Old 12-22-2006   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not down on Greenwood. He is what he is... Unfortunately, thats average at best, who will occasionally make a play.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2006   #8
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think he is a steady (not flashy) player with some solid stats this year. I don't agree with most people on this MB that say we need to get rid of him now. He's not that bad and we have way too many other holes on this team to fill. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I think he is a steady (not flashy) player with some solid stats this year. I don't agree with most people on this MB that say we need to get rid of him now. He's not that bad and we have way too many other holes on this team to fill. JMHO!
Is he serviceable? Yes... Could we focus our attention on DB's? Yes. However, if you have a chance to upgrade at that position, we should go for it.
Old 12-23-2006   #10
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:

We are paying him top dollars (elite level) and we had expected him to be top 5 OLB in the league which to this point he has not been. Its time to dump him and sign some one like Briggs and A.Thomas who are elite level OLB.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006   #11
phan1
All Pro

It's also what he represents as a player. He's the guy that came in to fill Jamie Shaper's shoes and one of the big off-season acquisitions that started this whole mess we call the Houston Texans. Now he's obviously not the main reasons we suck, but when people say "where did we go wrong", I think it started with getting rid of Glenn and Sharper and bringing in guys like Greenwood.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006   #12
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Top level pay....mid level play.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006   #13
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

He reminds me of another #56. Ahhh....good ol' Jay Foreman.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006   #14
Minotaur
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Minotaur

IMO, he does better at MLB, where he excelled while with the Dolphins

nflrumors.blogspot.com
Minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
He reminds me of another #56. Ahhh....good ol' Jay Foreman.
LOL... I see where you are going with that, but I would put Greenwood a notch (a small notch) above Foreman....
Old 12-23-2006   #16
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

The cap savings is slightly negative if we were to release Greenwood this year. As long as he's better than the #50 guy on our roster, cutting him outright is crazy.

Next year, however, is a wholly different story. I vote for upgrading the Orr/Wong spot this year and worrying about Greenwood's next. Orr is an RFA this year, but I don't believe he was drafted, so we can put the low tender on him and another team can beat it if they want.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006   #17
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
IMO, he does better at MLB, where he excelled while with the Dolphins
Uh...no he wasn't. I was definitely an OLB at Miami. Then we tried to make him a MLB in the 3-4. Then we moved him back to OLB in our new 4-3.
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006   #18
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

If we can get another OLB to play opposite of him... who is a good solid player...then he will be alright in are starting rotation. For example, if we brought in Briggs from Chicago... Greenwood Ryans Briggs would look very attractive to me =D. But say we got someone who is a small upgrade of greenwood to play opposite...then I would like to see another small upgrade replace him...but he can succeed when good talent is around him. You see that a lot in football. ESPECIALLY on defense...and people don't realize that. On my high school team we have the best d line in the state... but it looks like we have the best linebackers in the state because they never get blocked! Which means that our DBs (what I play) can make huge plays becuase the opposing quarterback makes stupid throws that we can capitalize on because of the awesome pass rush.

Thats why Urlacher... I mean don't get me wrong he is good... but he will be the first one to tell you... Tommie Harris is one of his best friends and he definately will be giving him something for christmas
yourfavoritetexan42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read