Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-22-2006   #1
wenskek
Rookie

Default Troy Smith's size=no big deal

i really don't understand why his size is being made into such a big deal. lets look at drew brees for example. the saints website has him listed at 6-0 209, and he has turned into a phenominal qb for the saints. nfldraftcountdown has troy smith at 6-1 215. drew brees is living proof that troy smith can play qb at the next level regarding his size. i am going to go out on a limb and go ahead say that i believe troy smith is giong to be a better version of drew brees. i think we should def take a look at finding a team with two first rounders. if i am not mistaken the pats have 2 first rounders, but i believe they are really late in the first round. why not entertain the idea of trading our top first round pick to them for there later two and using one of those later two first rounders on troy smith.

opinions?
wenskek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Troy Smith's size=no big deal

well, size IS a big deal. smith does have some issues with getting a guy in his face and not being able to see past him and he's pretty useless there. also, there are some concerns that he may actually be 5'11. still, i'll take him.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Size is a big deal if there is a significant difference. If not, it is overblown.

DeMeco was considered by some to be "too small" for the NFL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Quote:
DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama – Like Greenway, Ryans has seen his draft stock take a hit despite stellar college production. Scouts want him to get a little bigger and improve his strength when shedding blockers. He also doesn't have great ball skills when playing pass defense.
I'm glad team's in the first round were waiting for him to get bigger. Teams over analyze things. His draft stock dropped based on scales and a measuring tape.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/ryans_demeco

Quote:
STRONG POINTS
Ryans is a good athlete whose quick feet and instincts make him more productive than you expect. He always takes a quick first step in the right direction, and once he gets going, he has good enough speed to make plays in pursuit. He does a very good job of playing with bent knees and leverage on every play, and it helps him play strong at the point of attack consistently and to break down and tackle well out in space.

WEAKNESSES
Ryans is short for a linebacker at barely over 6-foot-1 and looks even smaller on film -- while he has played strong at point of attack at Alabama, he is going to have to prove he can do it against even bigger blockers in the NFL. He is a good athlete, but lacks the explosiveness and top-end playing speed to make game-changing plays and cannot catch very fast ball carriers in pursuit. He needs to use his hands better against blockers so that he can take on and shed quicker on a consistent basis

Too short at barely over 6' 1". Sounds familiar.

I'll take the gamer over an additional inch or two in height.
Old 12-22-2006   #4
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

I think you have to evaluate any player on how he fits with the Texans. We have already had several blocked or tipped passes (not saying whose fault it is). With Smith's height the problem would be increased in my mind. You can't assume that 1 0r 2 players do not have problems, Smith will not. He has had some difficulty in college as I understand.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #5
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

well, chris simms has plenty of trouble with tipped passes, and he's prototypical height at 6'4. it's about finding the appropiate lanes and release points. smith can do that just fine.
Old 12-22-2006   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard on the radio that Browns fans are raising a ruckus over Cleveland native, possible national championship winning, Heisman trophied Troy Smith.

Very Youngish.

If he goes top ten to Cleveland it will be the oppostie of the Young result here last year. His hometown team picks him before he was supposed to go.

So weigh in Houston fans - should the Browns take the hometown hero who is a winner but has legitimate questions about his NFL readiness, or should they pass on him?
Old 12-22-2006   #7
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

smith's value is nowhere near the top 10 right now. he'll have to have a great championship game, have a great senior bowl AND measure at LEAST 6' to get there.
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2006   #8
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad Cleveland is getting their share .

I'm not piling on but you can be 6'3 and have a low release point and you might as well be 5'11 throwing wise .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
smith's value is nowhere near the top 10 right now. he'll have to have a great championship game, have a great senior bowl AND measure at LEAST 6' to get there.
Most people didn't think Young had #1 overall pick value either (more think so with hindsight, of course).
Old 12-22-2006   #10
Sportsfan
All Pro

In this day and age of football, this whole 'prototypical size' thing is way overblown and the mold is often broken.
If you can excel at your position and help your team win, thats all that matters in the end.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #11
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Most people didn't think Young had #1 overall pick value either (more thinks so with hindsight, of course).
at least young has good height and size.
Old 12-22-2006   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Circular, man; circular.
Old 12-22-2006   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenskek View Post
i really don't understand why his size is being made into such a big deal. lets look at drew brees for example. the saints website has him listed at 6-0 209, and he has turned into a phenominal qb for the saints. nfldraftcountdown has troy smith at 6-1 215. drew brees is living proof that troy smith can play qb at the next level regarding his size. i am going to go out on a limb and go ahead say that i believe troy smith is giong to be a better version of drew brees. i think we should def take a look at finding a team with two first rounders. if i am not mistaken the pats have 2 first rounders, but i believe they are really late in the first round. why not entertain the idea of trading our top first round pick to them for there later two and using one of those later two first rounders on troy smith.

opinions?
Size is an issue because only the exceptions excel when you aren't in a normal size range for your postion. Calvin Murphy proved you can play in the NBA as a short man, but did that mean that every guy 5'9" could play in the NBA, or every good basketball player that was 5'9" could make it? no, it meant Calvin Murphy could play at that size because he had the proper attitude, fire and intensity to package along with his lack of size. Can Troy Smith overcome his lack of height like guys like Drew Brees and Doug Flutie? Donno, but that will help push his stock down since it's just a fact that most linemen are around 6'4" and taller and short QB's have more to overcome than say a 6'4" prototype guy. I don't think DeMeco is a good example because short doesn't mean that much to a linebacker. Not a huge need to see over the linemen.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
I think you have to evaluate any player on how he fits with the Texans. We have already had several blocked or tipped passes (not saying whose fault it is). With Smith's height the problem would be increased in my mind. You can't assume that 1 0r 2 players do not have problems, Smith will not. He has had some difficulty in college as I understand.
I think a lot of the tipped pass problem is because Carr just looks to his #1 and stares him down, and then doesn't throw at the perfect time. It's a lot harder to tip a pass when the defender doesn't know when its coming out.
I'd like to see smith to us in the 2nd round. have a lot of roll outs with him.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I think a lot of the tipped pass problem is because Carr just looks to his #1 and stares him down, and then doesn't throw at the perfect time. It's a lot harder to tip a pass when the defender doesn't know when its coming out.
I'd like to see smith to us in the 2nd round. have a lot of roll outs with him.
Carr has a funky release.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Can Troy Smith overcome his lack of height like guys like Drew Brees and Doug Flutie? Donno, but that will help push his stock down since it's just a fact that most linemen are around 6'4" and taller and short QB's have more to overcome than say a 6'4" prototype guy.
The fact that he is successful at the highest colege level is in his favor as opposed to being 6 foot and successful at Boise State, Hawaii, or somewhere. (no offense intended to fans of those schools).
Old 12-22-2006   #17
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

i wouldn't say the highest level. he did play in the big 10 afterall.
Old 12-22-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

The Big Ten was a little down this year.

(This is an example of understatement).

Three top ten teams though...go figure.
Old 12-22-2006   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

there's ohio state, michigan, and then a bunch of nothing.
Old 12-22-2006   #20
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
If he goes top ten to Cleveland it will be the oppostie of the Young result here last year. His hometown team picks him before he was supposed to go.

So weigh in Houston fans - should the Browns take the hometown hero who is a winner but has legitimate questions about his NFL readiness, or should they pass on him?
They should make the right call - pass on him, draft Peterson or Lynch.

Troy Smith is an OK pick - in the second round.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read