Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-21-2006   #1
brewhaus
All Pro

Default Culture Change.

Listening to the radio today, the subject of how the Texans needed to change was talked about and the entire "culture" of the team was highlighted as what needed to change most. And, to change the culture of the team, the personnel change that needs to occur is deep and far reaching across the team.

My favorite coach said it like this:
"Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing."
or
"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser. "

So, to think that the Texans are going to undergo a massive personnel change in the off season is not beyond the realm of possibility.

Anyone have a thougth on this?
Old 12-21-2006   #2
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: Culture Change.

I think this is the basis of the Carr needs to go complaints. He has endured 5 years of losing and has cultivated a losing mentality. This is the most legitimate reasoning to start anew, especially at the QB position, IMO.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Carr's career record is reason enough to trump any argument for keeping him here.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #3
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus View Post
Listening to the radio today, the subject of how the Texans needed to change was talked about and the entire "culture" of the team was highlighted as what needed to change most. And, to change the culture of the team, the personnel change that needs to occur is deep and far reaching across the team.

or

So, to think that the Texans are going to undergo a massive personnel change in the off season is not beyond the realm of possibility.

I think there will be some changes but we have a solid core & added to a good draft in 07 and a F/A starter (Nate Clemmons) we will be better. Count the players no longer here since last season. Like it or not, we are in a rebuilding mode.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #4
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 21898 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Change the uniforms!
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Moon lost for almost 5 years and then he turned it on and became a Hall of Famer.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #6
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEROtheZERO View Post
In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Carr's career record is reason enough to trump any argument for keeping him here.
Even if we just look at the past 3 season and considered the 1st 2 seasons irrelevent, he'd still be a loser at 15-33. Atleast the Lions were smart enough to get rid of Harrington after 4 years.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #7
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Moon lost for almost 5 years and then he turned it on and became a Hall of Famer.

True, very true......but that's the thing, he was a hall of fame QB and didn't make the same mistakes over and over like Carr did. He just had a really bad team around him. I don't think Carr will ever be as good as Moon, much less make a probowl.
Sponsored links
Old 12-21-2006   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, I have a thought on this.

Changing the players alone won't change the culture of the team. Culture comes from the top down and is ingrained in everything the organization does. The owner, the front office, the coaching staff, and the players all need to change.

For instance, if player introductions are canceled because somebody fears the Texans' own home crowd, that is a front office problem - it was admitting defeat going in. That affects culture.

If the owner protects a star player and holds him to a far different performance standard than anyone else, he is saying it isn't about winning. That affects culture.

Similarly, if the coaches start, give roster spots to, and cut players based on something other than on field performance (except for egregious off-field incidents) that also says it isn't about winning. That affects culture.

If the head coach repeatedly signals his players they aren't good enough to run a two minute drill, they start to believe it. That affects culture.

Sure, if the players are giving up and have a losing mentality, it affects culture. It isn't the only thing and may not even be the most important thing. I think the players can change easier than the organization can.
Old 12-21-2006   #9
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyTExan View Post
Change the uniforms!
LOL.
I agree with you 100%.
Old 12-21-2006   #10
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its time for Battle Red to become the home jersey. Not only because the look better but because I think it would symbolize the end of the old regime. Battle Red A New Beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Culture change starts at the top. Am I the only one that is getting Funky on McNair lately? When we picked Mario, one of the reasons McNair stated was that we wanted to win now so we didn't want to bring in a QB even though it was an elite year for QB's. Last week McNair came out and defended David by almost chastising the fans by saying everyone is in too big a hurry and the fans just want to win now, and that we should show some patience. I can't correlate these two diametrically opposite comments by McNair.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #12
ATX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Culture change starts at the top. Am I the only one that is getting Funky on McNair lately? When we picked Mario, one of the reasons McNair stated was that we wanted to win now so we didn't want to bring in a QB even though it was an elite year for QB's. Last week McNair came out and defended David by almost chastising the fans by saying everyone is in too big a hurry and the fans just want to win now, and that we should show some patience. I can't correlate these two diametrically opposite comments by McNair.
I'm with you Vinny.....he even dropped the V word too.
Old 12-21-2006   #13
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I think this is BS. Yes, Moon lost, but he NEVER lost like Carr loses. His first year was especially dodgy, as I remember, but at his worst he was light years better than Carr. Let's don't rewrite history to save our boy Dave.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
I think this is BS. Yes, Moon lost, but he NEVER lost like Carr loses. His first year was especially dodgy, as I remember, but at his worst he was light years better than Carr. Let's don't rewrite history to save our boy Dave.
Moon was never inept even though you would pull your hair out sometimes (no offense to you bald guys) watching him chunk picks. He was a skilled passer and he flashed big plays the during his entire NFL learning curve. Moon took chances because he had the courage to make the tough throw. He chunked a ton of INT's early in his career but he was exciting to watch and you could see him improving as he gained NFL experience. You can't say the same for Carr.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #15
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Moon was never inept even though you would pull your hair out sometimes (no offense to you bald guys) watching him chunk picks. He was a skilled passer and he flashed big plays the during his entire NFL learning curve. Moon took chances because he had the courage to make the tough throw. He chunked a ton of INT's early in his career but he was exciting to watch and you could see him improving as he gained NFL experience. You can't say the same for Carr.
Carr looks worse and worse with more experience.

Quote:
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Old 12-21-2006   #16
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddar View Post
Maybe we should swap uniforms with the Steelers.
Whats that mean.

Quote:
Old 12-21-2006   #17
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Moon was never inept even though you would pull your hair out sometimes (no offense to you bald guys) watching chunk picks. He was a skilled passer and he flashed big plays the during his entire NFL learning curve. Moon took chances because he had the courage to make the tough throw. He chunked a ton of INT's early in his career but he was exciting to watch and you could see him improving as he gained NFL experience. You can't say the same for Carr.
How about the rest of the team? I think that most of the Texans players have become comfortable with losing. Very few have players have openly voiced their dissatisfaction with the situation. Dunta spoke out last week but I don't think anyone else on the roster has said much, have they?
Old 12-21-2006   #18
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus View Post

or

my baseball coach used to say the same thing, and it made sense then and it makes sense now. if losing doesnt hurt you in the pit of your soul, then you are probably not a successful professional athlete...david is successful as a person and family man but as a player he doesnt even have the respect of his own locker room much less the rest of the league. he is like a dorky legacy in a fraternity. he is in the frat but he really isnt IN the frat or one of 'the boys'. just mo
Old 12-21-2006   #19
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

I like Carr and think that he needs a change of scenery for his own benefit, ala Plummer in Arizona. He isn't a bad person, just not a performer at this point and is basically in over his head.

I'll take the cap hit in order to get a more confident QB back there and not waste the prime years of AJ right now. AJ can be elite and was a great draft pick, but if we can't get him the ball (and I don't want an elite receiver running 5 yard crossing routes every play) then it is a waste of a draft pick.

I am ok if Sage starts next year, but would prefer someone else, and not Plummer.
Old 12-21-2006   #20
ATX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson View Post
I like Carr and think that he needs a change of scenery for his own benefit, ala Plummer in Arizona. He isn't a bad person, just not a performer at this point and is basically in over his head.

I'll take the cap hit in order to get a more confident QB back there and not waste the prime years of AJ right now. AJ can be elite and was a great draft pick, but if we can't get him the ball (and I don't want an elite receiver running 5 yard crossing routes every play) then it is a waste of a draft pick.

I am ok if Sage starts next year, but would prefer someone else, and not Plummer.

I'm with you on this man....I'd rather have Sage starting than Plummer. Plummer looked horrible this year and was replaced by a rookie....I don't think that was Denver's plan to begin the year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read