Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-21-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chronic: Looking for Mr. Right

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4417558.html

Quote:
If the Texans trade David Carr after the season, they will be in the market for another quarterback.

Sage Rosenfels, who is finishing his first season with the Texans on injured reserve, would be a candidate to replace Carr.

If coach Gary Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith look outside the organization, quite a few well-known veteran candidates should be available.

If Kubiak looks for a veteran, the obvious choice would be Jake Plummer. Kubiak was Plummer's offensive coordinator and quarterback coach at Denver.

When Kubiak left the Broncos for the Texans, Plummer's performance plummeted to a point where he was replaced by Cutler. It's not likely Plummer will be Cutler's backup in 2007.

If the Broncos are unable to trade Plummer, they'll waive him, making him an unrestricted free agent.

"If he becomes available, I can't imagine anyone better for (the Texans') system than Plummer," said Gil Brandt, the Dallas Cowboys' personnel director for 29 years and current personnel expert for NFL.com. "Plummer and Kubiak had a lot of success together.

"I think Plummer can play another three or four years."
Quote:
Other quarterbacks who could be available are Damon Huard (Kansas City), Jeff Garcia (Philadelphia), Byron Leftwich (Jacksonville), Daunte Culpepper (Miami), Drew Bledsoe (Dallas), Kerry Collins (Tennessee) and Tim Rattay (Tampa Bay).

Because Kubiak needs a mobile quarterback who can throw accurately while rolling to his right or left, pocket passers like Huard, Leftwich, Culpepper, Bledsoe and Collins wouldn't seem to be a good fit.

Garcia and Rattay would seem to fit the Texans' system better.

"Since he took over for Donovan McNabb, Garcia has been playing lights out," Brandt said.
Quote:
A quarterback who has attracted a lot of attention because of the way he has played coming off the bench is Atlanta's Matt Schaub, who is anchored on the Falcons' bench behind Michael Vick.

Schaub, a three-year veteran, will be a restricted free agent. If the Falcons tender him a contract offer at a certain level, it will require a first-round pick to sign him. It's doubtful the Texans would surrender a high No. 1 pick for Schaub, who has been untested as a regular starter.

Notre Dame's Brady Quinn and Ohio State's Troy Smith are considered the leading senior prospects.

The top juniors who might enter the draft a year early are LSU's JaMarcus Russell and Louisville's Brad Brohm.

Coming up fast on the outside is Houston senior Kevin Kolb.

"Kolb's going to surprise some people," said C.O. Brocato, the Tennessee Titans' coordinator of college scouting. "He really improved as a senior.

"That kid's got good size and a good arm. The ball gets from Point A to Point B in a hurry. He throws a nice deep ball. He's got good touch on his short passes around the line of scrimmage. He's tough and durable. He's got mobility.

"Kolb makes good decisions. You don't see him throw many bad passes. Right now, I think he's probably a second-rounder. But once everybody really starts looking at him, it wouldn't surprise me if he goes in the first."
Quote:
Some scouts think that by the time the evaluation process has been completed, Smith will be ranked right behind Quinn.

"I love Troy Smith," Brandt said about the Heisman Trophy winner. "He reminds me of Drew Brees. They're about the same size (6-0 1/4 ). One reason Brees is such a good leader is because he works so hard, and his teammates respect that. Players gravitate to Smith, too.

"He's smart and athletic and has a cannon for an arm. And we all know he's a winner."

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em

Last edited by Texans34Life; 12-21-2006 at 05:50 AM.
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #2
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chronic: Looking for Mr. Right

Interesting article. I can't wait to see how this plays out in the off-season.
Old 12-21-2006   #3
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

I do like the thoughts also, very logical IMHO.
I am just not sure I would agree to Plummer though. I have watched him for years and just feel like it would only be a lateral move.
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #4
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

The list of free agent qb's doesn't impress me at all. I'd still rather draft a qb in the 2nd or 3rd and let him learn behind DC for the next 2 years, rather than trade much needed draft picks away.

Either way, it will be exciting to watch the teams moves in the offseason.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

All hell would brake loose if Tennessee would pick Kolb in the 3rd.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #6
DoCRoN
Veteran

Section: 608!!
Rep Power: 1328 DoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respected

The idea of turning to Plummer concerns me. I lived in Denver for 4 years ('02 - '05) and watched Plummer 'lead' the Broncos. While he was serviceable under Kubiak, he is not the answer. He would simply be a band-aid for our team.

I have been a Kubiak fan since he was hired. But if he brings in Plummer he will drop a notch in my opinion. It would show me that he is looking at personnel decisions with blinders on. Jake Plummer is NOT superior to any and all quarterbacks that may be available. Picking up Plummer would show me that Kubiak is making decisions that are "comfortable" and "easy" rather than the best for the team.

I know coaches typically like to bring on guys that they know and are confident with. We've got a few ex-Broncos to prove it (Salaam, Dayne, Putzier, etc.). But when a coach is afraid to go outside of that comfort zone.... That's disturbing.

Just my .
Old 12-21-2006   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoCRoN View Post
Jake Plummer is NOT superior to any and all quarterbacks that may be available.
So who is the QB that is available and is clearly superior to Plummer?
Old 12-21-2006   #8
DoCRoN
Veteran

Rep Power: 1328 DoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
So who is the QB that is available and is clearly superior to Plummer?
Well, from McClain's article, I'd take Garcia in a heartbeat over Jake the mistake. I'd also be happy (believe it or not) with Sage or Carr behind a beefed up O-Line while we have a younger prospect learning for a season or two.

If we pick up Plummer, do we have a chance to win a few more games next year? I think the answer is yes simply because Plummer is a competitor and was solid under Kubiak. But like I said, it would concern me that Kubiak is making another "comfortable" personnel decision.

Last edited by DoCRoN; 12-21-2006 at 09:56 AM.
DoCRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #9
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

No way Jeff Garcia comes here. Bob McNair wouldn't part with his "Christian family man" for a guy that's dating a Playmate.

For football reasons, I think that Garcia's on a hot streak right now. I don't expect it to last. He also happens to be playing behind one of the best OL's in the league.

If he plays behind an inferior line, he'll be running for his life again.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #10
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Garcia isn't going anywhere, or so that is what he said. He likes Philly, he likes the system, and he knows McNabb is the guy there but is willing to stay. That was said last week when they plyed the Giants. Now there is alot of time ahead and there will be offers that would be too hard to turn down, but he wants to win and he thinks Philly can give him the chance to do it.

It will be a tough sell to get an established QB here in Houston with the line they have. Not too many QB's want to get hit that often and I don't blame them. The QB position is going to be very hard to access this off season, as I would rather have Sage or Carr again,( did I say that) than an older re-tread that would have to learn everything over and last but a year or two.

The Texans need a guy they can put in there that will be around for more than a season...and if Kolb is around, get him.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #11
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

I don't like the guys that are available, free agent or draft possibilities at that. I like sticking with Carr much less however...
Old 12-21-2006   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we pick up Plummer, do we have a chance to win a few more games next year? I think the answer is yes simply because Plummer is a competitor and was solid under Kubiak. But like I said, it would concern me that Kubiak is making another "comfortable" personnel decision.
Yeah, winning a few extra games would make me comfortable too. Maybe that should be the consideration more than worrying about prior connections. Not saying Plummer is the best solution, but in terms of FA's he has to be one of the top 2, neither of which is a long term solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
Garcia isn't going anywhere, or so that is what he said. He likes Philly, he likes the system, and he knows McNabb is the guy there but is willing to stay.
Dude is lying--no QB, especially one at the tail end of his career is going to skip a starting QB spot to be the backup to a probowler.

As for Garcia's playmate girlfriend--yeah, right. Travis Johnson and Jerome Mathis wouldn't have ever been drafted by the Texans if character was as important as people like to make out around here. Like dating a pretty girl is a moral deficiency now.
Old 12-21-2006   #13
K.D.
Veteran

I really doubt that Plummer would be coming in, which we would totally regret. We need to get legit o-linemen,draft Kolb in later round 2nd or 3rd, keep Carr and let him fight Sage for starting spot next year but not be a mentor to Kolb. Kubiak would put his time in with Kolb and mold him to the type of qb he wants him to be in a year or two. My biggest concern is that I hope Kolb have the opportunity to have AJ as a reciever, we can't let this guy get away, drops or no drops this guy is our #1 playmaker on the outside and if he goes, it's no telling what kind of recievers we will have. A new qb might entice AJ to stay, I sure hope soo.
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The idea of turning to Plummer .... He would simply be a band-aid for our team.

But when a coach is afraid to go outside of that comfort zone.... That's disturbing.
A band-aid might be an upgrade for us.

It will be interesting to watch the upcoming free agency period because of the comfort zone theory. I brought up this same point while it was happening last off-season. I still think it caused some division in the locker room - us vs. them, old vs. new.
Old 12-21-2006   #15
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
As for Garcia's playmate girlfriend--yeah, right. Travis Johnson and Jerome Mathis wouldn't have ever been drafted by the Texans if character was as important as people like to make out around here. Like dating a pretty girl is a moral deficiency now.
Nothing wrong with dating a pretty girl. A pretty girl that posed in Playboy and karate-kicks his ex-girlfriends (allegedly) might be a different story.

Wouldn't bother me at all. I'd welcome the excitement. I'm just thinking that McNair may not want that to be the face of his franchise after he's had to cut the cord with the current pillar of the community.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #16
ericdoesntcare
Rookie

I think Rosenfels would be the right guy to groom a young QB. Kolb could learn behind Sage for a year or 2, then take over. Rosenfels led Miami to 6 straight wins to end the 2005 season. He has some ability!
ericdoesntcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #17
DoCRoN
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
A band-aid might be an upgrade for us.
Sadly you're right. To be honest, I was on the Carr bandwagon coming into this season. You know - new coaches, more weapons, better protection. It was his chance to get a 'fresh start'. But last weekend put me on the "Carr Sucks" bandwagon. I still want to support him and I hope he (and ultimately the team) does well.

Honestly, like I said earlier, Plummer may give us a kickstart.

I guess the reality that we might be pinning our team's hopes on Jake is a sobering, depressing thought for next season. They thought he would be the answer (after Griese) in Denver. He obviously was not. And he had lots of talent around him...
Old 12-21-2006   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdoesntcare View Post
Rosenfels led Miami to 6 straight wins to end the 2005 season. He has some ability!
Where does this stuff come from? Sage played in a total of 4 games in 2005 (2 wins, 2 losses--no two straight weeks) and started just 1 (a shut out loss to Cleveland).
Old 12-21-2006   #19
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

The article I want to read would have the following:

Why did the Texans pick up Carr's option for 3 year?

Who would take Carr's contract in a trade?

What are the salary cap implications of releasing Carr and at different times?

It's nice to be able to mention random QB names, and speculating about their fit with the offense, but I want to know how this is going to effect the team as far as being able to get other pieces and parts as well.
Old 12-21-2006   #20
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

I personally don't see Plummer coming here unless Carr is dealt somewhere for draft picks and we pick up a QB in the draft. If we keep Carr, it doesn't make sense to pay Plummer to come in and win the starting job (which I think he would) and put a highly paid Carr on the bench. And I wouldn't mind watching Plummer work a year while we groom a quality draft pick. I like Kolb a lot. Especially if he fell to the second round. He runs a very fast paced offense at UH, seems to make good decisions and runs pretty well. Quinn and Troy Smith will probably be gone first round and I don't see us picking a QB first. I'm still itching to see a really dominant running game for the Texans and if Peterson if available, I'd hate to see us pass on him.
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read