Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-20-2006   #1
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle
Default Best O-lineman in the coming draft

Has a Guard ever been taken high in the draft?

Any decent Guards in this coming draft

Last edited by Goldeagle; 12-20-2006 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #2
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Best O-lineman in the coming draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle View Post

Any decent Guards in this coming draft
Usually one or two interior OLmen go in the 1st round. This year it seems as though Blaylock will go 1st round.

There are quite a few good OG's in the draft that won't go 1st round though. Highlighted by the two Auburn OG's. Manuel Rameriez is a very good Mauling OG, destined for RG in the Pros. The OG from Hawiaii is very solid but will need time adjusting to a pro style offense, but he can pass block.

I just really feel the two Aurburn OG's are our best bets. They have played well in the SEC for two years, blocked for two top 5 picks and another possible 1st rounder, and played on the same line as the best rookie OT this year.
Old 12-20-2006   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We're not looking for guards anytime soon, unless you think Spencer can play LT or if you seriously think Weary will work as our C.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #4
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
We're not looking for guards anytime soon, unless you think Spencer can play LT or if you seriously think Weary will work as our C.
I don't think Spencer is our LT, nor Winston, but he asked about interior linemen and I answred the question. Weary was the top rated C in his draft class and I think he will be fine at C and certinally no worse than McKinny/Hodgen/Flanagan.
Old 12-21-2006   #5
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 12831 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

What about Winston @ Rg...haha shut up and stop looking at me like that.
Old 12-21-2006   #6
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

I know, I know! Let's get a guard and make him a left tackle!! That's NEVER been done before. Whooee, I am so smart. What? Oh. Never mind.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Championship teams year after year select offensive lineman/guards @ the end of the 1st rd. maybe they know something? maybe expansions teams should pay attention, bite the bullet in the beginning, pass on the maquee players & trade down aquiring more late 1st, 2nd & 3rd picks building both offensive & defensive lines with the best, brightest & youngest talent then watch them develop together as an all pro unit over the years.......

That being said the only Guard who might sneek in the 1st rd. is Boston College, Josh Beekman 6-2 318. He has played some Center & has the perfect build for that position, don't think the Texans would use that 2nd rd. pick on him though, so once again odds are that he ends up on a pretty good team that understands the importance of talent & depth on the OL

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-21-2006   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mike Munchack wasn't a bad top 10 pick at guard....he ended up in the hall of fame.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #9
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Mike Munchack wasn't a bad top 10 pick at guard....he ended up in the hall of fame.
Munch & Matthews, if only we could clone them. I remember posting once that Seth Payne and Chester Pitts could be the new M&M. Well at least Pitts is still on the team. Didn't Matthews earn honors at guard and tackle?
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #10
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
That being said the only Guard who might sneek in the 1st rd. is Boston College, Josh Beekman 6-2 318. He has played some Center & has the perfect build for that position, don't think the Texans would use that 2nd rd. pick on him though, so once again odds are that he ends up on a pretty good team that understands the importance of talent & depth on the OL
The kid from UT, Blalock, is being considered a guard prospect at the next level, and I am seeing him at the top of the list for inside OL. He is capable of playing some tackle simular to Pitts, but guard is where I have read him being projected. Where ever they play him he will be a good one.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Spencer, if he comes back 100%..is our LT of the future imo. Winston I think could possibly be a guard, but I think he could be RT as well.

Dont forget Hodgdon at Center as well.

Guard strikes me as our biggest need on the line.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #12
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
Spencer, if he comes back 100%..is our LT of the future imo. Winston I think could possibly be a guard, but I think he could be RT as well.

I want no part of Hodgon at C. He just can't preform like need needs to. It's bad enough to where he actually stands out as poor on OUR line!
Old 12-22-2006   #13
red bull
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
Munch & Matthews, if only we could clone them. I remember posting once that Seth Payne and Chester Pitts could be the new M&M. Well at least Pitts is still on the team. Didn't Matthews earn honors at guard and tackle?
When you posted it were you aware that Seth Payne is a defensive lineman?
red bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #14
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post

Really? I'd be fine with Weary and Pitts if we can get a decent C and RT.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #15
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

You just dont hear much about interior Lineman so I cant really guage how well Pitts, Weary, Hodgen and McKinney play. Ive seen McKinney have his head on a swivel as a Defender blows by him to sack Carr and I heard a couple of times if an opposing D runs a simple stunt, our Guards are totally lost.

If we could get Dockery and/or Steinbach in Free Agency that would be nice, but if not, Im all for adding a great G to our team.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #16
Dunta_23
All Pro

What is Hogdons value as a guard? worth keeping on the team?
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23 View Post
What is Hogdons value as a guard? worth keeping on the team?
Hogs is a jouneyman @ best, can't stay healthy & not particularly impressive when he does play

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006   #18
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In a very unusualy Draft, 2 of the 3 OLineman taken in the 2006 first round were not tackles. This is probably more of an indication of how weak the Draft was for tackles than anything, because the highest premium placed on O Lineman is for their athleticism. That's because the tackles, epecially the LTs, have the biggest challenges in going against the Ds edge pass rushers.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006   #19
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26020 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Weary could go to C and Winston because of his short arms moves to G. Spencer will get every opportunity at LT.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006   #20
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think today answered the Hogdgon question, he seems to not be the long term answer at center. So OLT is the big question, can Spencer get healthy.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read