Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-20-2006   #1
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Question for the people who've been here long enough to remember...

I want to know, since we're kinda all talking about the nfl draft...

How bad was the "We need to trade up to get Sean Taylor" stuff in 2004? I just wanna know...I wasnt on the Board then to remember what would go down...

(btw, move this if you mods have to...i'm just a little curious...)
Old 12-20-2006   #2
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Question for the people who've been here long enough to remember...

if i remember correctly the board wanted to trade up to get him, but not everyone did. i think some people (like myself) thought there was a drop off after picks 1-8. we didnt think we should be giving up stuff to get taylor but i think everyone hoped he fell to us .
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

IIRC, there was a vocal minoroty who wanted that, but most people had questions about his character or realized that the Texans did not need to trade multiple parts for one player.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

He was no PBuch .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 388264 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Every year the Texans do not hold the #1 draft pick there will be a trade up contingency. There were folks who wanted Rogers over AJ in 2003 and willing to pay some price for the "clearly" better prospect. In 2004 folks wanted to trade up for the best LT prospect since Orlando Pace--Gallery as well as contingents for Sean Taylor and DeAngelo Hall. 2005 was kind of an off year (too many variables in who was going where) but some folks thought a move up would be necessary for Derrick Johnson or Alex Barron.
Old 12-20-2006   #6
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Every year on this board it is absolute mayhem around draft time. You have your trade up for X player faction, trade down and get an extra pick for Y player faction, we must draft Z player faction, etc. I started posting on this board near the end of the 2003 season, and I was chomping at the bit for us to draft Vince Wilfork.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
I was chomping at the bit for us to draft Vince Wilfork.
I thought for sure in 2004 that Tommy Harris DT Oklahoma was going to be a Texan. A combination of Williams & Harris would be formidable

But to answear the question the calls for Taylor where second to only one in Texans draft lore that being VY maybe Derrick Johnson a distant 3rd & they passed on him too

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2006   #8
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I for one was in that Trade Up for Taylor camp. He's had two incidents (spitting and gun charges) that people call into question. Other than that he's been one of the league's top safeties. I have been happy with dunta robinson.

The year of Derrick Johnson was a mess in itself b/c the FO told us we would NOT draft him b/c he was a 4-3 LB. Then they went and picked Travis Johnson a 4-3 DT.

This past year though has been by far the worse I've seen the board in camping up for sides though.
Old 12-20-2006   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought, at the time, that the Sean Taylor thing was bad. I only had one foot in the Sean Taylor camp.. I wouldnt have minded having him but I wasnt yearning for his touch or anything.

After that I remember thinking; "thank god that is over, I doubt we have a contraversy like that again".. HAH.. next year it was Derrick Johnson.. which topped the Sean Taylor one, by far. Then, of course, Vince Young and Reggie Bush.. good lord.

At this rate I figure we will see some shootings in Reliant parking lot this year.. and WMDs by 2010.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #10
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
I thought, at the time, that the Sean Taylor thing was bad. I only had one foot in the Sean Taylor camp.. I wouldnt have minded having him but I wasnt yearning for his touch or anything.

After that I remember thinking; "thank god that is over, I doubt we have a contraversy like that again".. HAH.. next year it was Derrick Johnson.. which topped the Sean Taylor one, by far. Then, of course, Vince Young and Reggie Bush.. good lord.

At this rate I figure we will see some shootings in Reliant parking lot this year.. and WMDs by 2010.
lmao, that was hilarious. why wait till 2010 for the WMD's though? You know we are hiding all those ones from Iraq under reliant. I'm thinking its the fumes from them that are causing are poor play.
Old 12-20-2006   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Every year the Texans do not hold the #1 draft pick there will be a trade up contingency. There were folks who wanted Rogers over AJ in 2003 and willing to pay some price for the "clearly" better prospect. In 2004 folks wanted to trade up for the best LT prospect since Orlando Pace--Gallery as well as contingents for Sean Taylor and DeAngelo Hall. 2005 was kind of an off year (too many variables in who was going where) but some folks thought a move up would be necessary for Derrick Johnson or Alex Barron.
The real shame here is we traded the Jammal Brown pick to the Saints for Travis Johnson. He made the Pro Bowl at offensive tackle this year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post

My prediction...

Joe Thomas and Adrian Peterson fall to us, but we opt to pick the punter from Southwest Missouri State because it was a need pick v BPA.
Mass riots fill the streets of Houston causing the city to go into martial law.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #13
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The real shame here is we traded the Jammal Brown pick to the Saints for Travis Johnson. He made the Pro Bowl at offensive tackle this year.
In Casserley We Trust, we didn't need an Offensive Tackle in that draft....oh wait..never mind
Old 12-21-2006   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

The clamor for ST was pretty big. Most people would attempt to throw out ficticous mock drafts and force ST down to our pick. I was in the trade up for ST camp, and the is the only time I have ever considered the notion of trading up for someone, though we haven't had many chances to actually move up since.
Old 12-21-2006   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
The clamor for ST was pretty big. Most people would attempt to throw out ficticous mock drafts and force ST down to our pick. I was in the trade up for ST camp, and the is the only time I have ever considered the notion of trading up for someone, though we haven't had many chances to actually move up since.
I'm sure we could have traded up for Sean Taylor with the #10 pick plus 2nd/3rd & 4th rd. picks Casserly traded for Babin

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I'm sure we could have traded up for Sean Taylor with the #10 pick plus 2nd/3rd & 4th rd. picks Casserly traded for Babin
Ahh yes...
Old 12-21-2006   #17
TigerV1
All Pro

Rep Power: 91 TigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Yep, this one hurts.
TigerV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #18
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
In Casserley We Trust, we didn't need an Offensive Tackle in that draft....oh wait..never mind
"But, hey.. I only drafted what the coaches wanted." Ok, then why did the Texans need you?
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Casserly said that Brown was a Right Tackle and we alread had Todd Wade there. What was needed was a Left Tackle, which Brown was not.

BTW, Brown made the Pro Bowl as a Left Tackle.
Old 12-21-2006   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
I want to know, since we're kinda all talking about the nfl draft...

How bad was the "We need to trade up to get Sean Taylor" stuff in 2004? I just wanna know...I wasnt on the Board then to remember what would go down...

(btw, move this if you mods have to...i'm just a little curious...)
I'm guilty as charged. I was one. His numbers were unreal for a saftey. I think my big quote if we took him we could "tear the cover off the defensive play book. " Wasn't that the Babin year..might as well have done it.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-21-2006 at 09:30 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read