Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-20-2006   #1
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is Houston too hard on QB's ?

Is Houston too hard on the QB?I have been a fan of Houston's NFL teams since the early70's. I recall Pastorini being called Pass da Weenie! I was a season tickect holder the first 3 years Moon signed in Houston. I had to endure many Sunday's with N-bombs and some guy who thought himself clever by replcing the m in Moon and replacing it with a C. I am sure Moon did not find that funny!
So where does that put Carr and the response he is receiving now?Is Carr the main short coming of this offense? Which came first the chicken or the egg? If a tree falls in the woods does it make a sound? What say you?
Old 12-20-2006   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Houston too hard on QB's ?

Whatever happens in Houston multiply by 5 and you have the east coast .
Old 12-20-2006   #3
TexansFan99
Rookie

I lived in NY and Philly...those "fans" are hard on the QBs. Carr wouldn't have last this long there.
TexansFan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #4
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Every place claims to be worse than the other. Bottom line is that if you don't produce, then the fans are hard on you.

QB just seems to be the most notable, highly visible position. Otherwise, Dunta should be picked on for not stepping up as a leader (Why did DeMeco have such an easy time falling into the leader of the defense? Should he have had to wrestle that away from D-Rob? I think so.) and why don't we continually pick on Faggins and Brown for making the same mistakes. Treat no one any different than anyone else is what I say.
Old 12-20-2006   #5
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

If anything, we've been too easy on Carr. In any other city he would have been benched for good last year. And now after 5 years of failure we're talking about giving him 2 more seasons to prove himself?
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Every fan base that has questionable quarterbacking evokes this kind of drama. Long time football fans know that while you don't need a great QB to be a great team, the position that makes the most impact on a team is the quarterback. A half a decade into a QB's career the best anyone can say is that they believe in Carr's potential. No problem with that, but tell me, why are you paying a premium price for spec? The first contract is based on speculation and the out in the contract was built in for a reason. The average career of an NFL player is nearly 5 years. How many careers does it take to make a decision about your quarterback? NFL teams have to make decisions about how you pay for play quicker and more intuitively than this. After his first 3 years Bob McNair had to go out and pay $300k to Reeves to convince him that he should keep Carr despite all the red flags. Why pay Reeves? Because Casserly already ruined your franchise start with such bad judgment. Fans can also see that when Tony Banks and Sage Rosenfels was in the game we actually had an intermediate passing game despite the fact that they are both NFL journeymen. I think the fans are more frustrated at management than they are at Carr. Carr just takes the brunt of it. Who of us wouldn't have singed an extension to extend our payday to 60 million dollars for largely mediocre play over the first 3 seasons?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Who of us wouldn't have singed an extension to extend our payday to 60 million dollars for largely mediocre play over the first 3 seasons?
Sign me up ASAP!!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2006   #8
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Every fan base that has questionable quarterbacking evokes this kind of drama. Long time football fans know that while you don't need a great QB to be a great team, the position that makes the most impact on a team is the quarterback. A half a decade into a QB's career the best anyone can say is that they believe in Carr's potential. No problem with that, but tell me, why are you paying a premium price for spec? The first contract is based on speculation and the out in the contract was built in for a reason. The average career of an NFL player is nearly 5 years. How many careers does it take to make a decision about your quarterback? NFL teams have to make decisions about how you pay for play quicker and more intuitively than this. After his first 3 years Bob McNair had to go out and pay $300k to Reeves to convince him that he should keep Carr despite all the red flags. Why pay Reeves? Because Casserly already ruined your franchise start with such bad judgment. Fans can also see that when Tony Banks and Sage Rosenfels was in the game we actually had an intermediate passing game despite the fact that they are both NFL journeymen. I think the fans are more frustrated at management than they are at Carr. Carr just takes the brunt of it. Who of us wouldn't have singed an extension to extend our payday to 60 million dollars for largely mediocre play over the first 3 seasons?
And immediate...That's some SERIOUS points to ponder.
Old 12-20-2006   #9
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFan99 View Post
I lived in NY and Philly...those "fans" are hard on the QBs. Carr wouldn't have last this long there.

i know you listen to some philly fans some of them are giving up on mcnabb because of his recent injuries and he's a playmaker i can only wonder if they had a useless david carr as the QB they would probable have a hit out on him.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #10
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ya'll are right. Sage Rosenfels would have put AJ, Moulds and Daniels into the Pro Bowl with his passing expertise. Oh, and since QBs control the defense, DeMeco would have beaten out Zach Thomas as well.

Old 12-20-2006   #11
Texan1
Veteran

I think 5 years is more than enough trial time for a QB on any given team. No one (Carr or the fans) would have any sore feelings about moving in a new direction.

Would Vince have been given 5 years to prove himself... for some reason I don't think so... I like Carr, but he has had plenty of chances here. It would be best for both to part ways. That being said, if he stays - I hope he plays well for the Texans.
Texan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I can understand the F.O.'s decision to keep Carr.. I mean you have a new Coach coming in with a new staff.. the last thing you want to do is pile on a quarterback controversy to really make things chaotic.

But they shouldnt have given him the extension. Should have signed him to a new contract..one that was a bit more reasonable. On the other hand, if they had done that it would have undercut his confidence. I know people will scoff at that comment, but its true. They are/were trying to build him back up.. and its kinda hard to say "You are the guy, we can make this happen with you if you work hard, we have faith in you!... now.. how about we sign you to a 1 year contract instead of that nasty old extension".
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #13
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
I can understand the F.O.'s decision to keep Carr.. I mean you have a new Coach coming in with a new staff.. the last thing you want to do is pile on a quarterback controversy to really make things chaotic.

But they shouldnt have given him the extension. Should have signed him to a new contract..one that was a bit more reasonable. On the other hand, if they had done that it would have undercut his confidence. I know people will scoff at that comment, but its true. They are/were trying to build him back up.. and its kinda hard to say "You are the guy, we can make this happen with you if you work hard, we have faith in you!... now.. how about we sign you to a 1 year contract instead of that nasty old extension".

We could of let him hit free agency and got david for about 800,000 i was never againts keeping carr but just not to that awfull bonus we could of had him or pennies on the dollars.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #14
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Carr is not the right quarterback for the Texans and we need to find our future quarterback this off season.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #15
TexansFan99
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa Auto Parts View Post
i know you listen to some philly fans some of them are giving up on mcnabb because of his recent injuries and he's a playmaker i can only wonder if they had a useless david carr as the QB they would probable have a hit out on him.
We are pretty tolerant here in Houston.....5 years of a mediocre QB and we are wondering if we are being too hard on him...Throw da bum out!
TexansFan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa Auto Parts View Post
We could of let him hit free agency and got david for about 800,000 i was never againts keeping carr but just not to that awfull bonus we could of had him or pennies on the dollars.
We would have had a hard time re-signing Carr if we had let him become a free agent.

Dont let the attitude here in our forums fool you, Carr was still (and really IS still) looked at as a promising young QB. He would have gotten a lot of offers, and it would have been hard to convince him to come back to the place where he broke the sack record.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #17
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40 View Post
Is Houston too hard on the QB?I have been a fan of Houston's NFL teams since the early70's. I recall Pastorini being called Pass da Weenie! I was a season tickect holder the first 3 years Moon signed in Houston. I had to endure many Sunday's with N-bombs and some guy who thought himself clever by replcing the m in Moon and replacing it with a C. I am sure Moon did not find that funny!
So where does that put Carr and the response he is receiving now?Is Carr the main short coming of this offense? Which came first the chicken or the egg? If a tree falls in the woods does it make a sound? What say you?
According to my friends in other cities... Houston fans are fair weathered and ignorant.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #18
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle View Post
According to my friends in other cities... Houston fans are fair weathered and ignorant.
Fair weather I can see but I have to disagree with ignorant.

Old 12-21-2006   #19
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

back to topic....

I'm old enough to remember fans griping about Pastorini's love for the long bomb, and never throwing short stuff. Seems like we have just the opposite situation now.

Anyways, I doubt there's an NFL QB that doesn't know how hard the job will be coming in to it.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
back to topic....

I'm old enough to remember fans griping about Pastorini's love for the long bomb, and never throwing short stuff. Seems like we have just the opposite situation now.

Anyways, I doubt there's an NFL QB that doesn't know how hard the job will be coming in to it.
I donno if you are remembering that right. Dan threw 57 passes to running back Fred Willis in 1973 (I remember Fred was productive cause I had a 44 Oilers jersey) . Dan took heat but I don't remember that as a knock specifically. In the 70's the long ball was in fashion and you could beat up the wr's all over the field so it was certainly a different game...but Pastorini did take a ton of abuse. He once called the Houston fans "fickle"

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read