Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-20-2006   #1
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Default How would you fix it?

I hear a lot of people talking about all the things wrong with the Texans...I am just curious to how you would fix all the Texan problems?

Hears my

Free Agency
In free agency I would love the texans to pickup a veteran defensive tackle to play alongside with Travis Johnson. I think that is a pretty glaring problem with our defense right now, is our interior line. I would love to see us get Terdell Sands, he is a backup on oakland, playing behind two veteran greats, but he has big size (6'7 340) and in college I remember him being a force out of chatanooga. That would apply more pressure on the inside that way teams can't afford doubling mario. If you watch the games Mario is getting doubled 60% of the time, and when he isn't doubled, they run away from him. Opposing NFL offenses treat Mario as an already dominant end, they gameplan for him, already, and that why he doens't seem to be as effective as people hoped.

Also in free agencty I would love to see the texans pickup Asante Samuel out of New England or Michael Lewis out of philadephia to play alongside Glenn Earl. We have a missing piece back there... and I think a quickfix out of free agency is the answer.

Another guy I'd love to see the Texans pursue to provide veteran leadership, and it would be highly likely considering his old head coach is on our staff, is running back Ahman Green. Texans kind of need a Running back by commitee deal because each of our running backs have weaknesses. Davis falls to injuries, Dayne doesn't have great speed, Lundy is young an inexperienced, and Ahman Green cannot carry the load. If we used Dayne in short yardage situations, and then rotated Davis/Green, I think that would really boost our running game, plus Green is a great receiving threat out of the backfield. Lundy in my opinion, still needs some time to grow.

Matt Starks out of Pitt and Leonard Davis out of Arizona, if they become available, do everything in your power to pick them up kubes... but that is a major if...i see both resigning with their respective teams.

Cato June, Lance Briggs, Diggs, Thomas, or Fletcher, to help out our trio along with demeco. Texans... you can land one of them...and any of the 5 would be awesome. Love to see Lance Briggs out of all of them...knows how to play the 4-3 well and he has been part of a very dominant defense.

The Draft
1st Round: Joe Thomas (if he is available). If not Levi Jones Penn State.
2nd Round: Offensive Guard. Do not reach for talent however, only if the talent is there, which usually it is, Guards dont usually go until late 1st round early 2nd. Adding one more player to the fight for a spot at guard would surely help.
3rd Round: Corner. Have someone challenge Faggins for that 2nd corner spot...competition brings the best out of any player. Plus at worse we have a solid nickel back.
4th Round: Tom Zbikowski out of Notre Dame. Could be a real threat at punt returner and could come in if needed to play safety, and boy does he lay the wood in that defensive backfield. Also finds the ball well and he would become a leader and give our defense some attitude.
5th Round: An Outside Linebacker. Add some depth and competition to the outside spot.
6th Round: Punter. lol....I dont think i need to explain...
7th Round: Center, another practice squad player... let him develop and maybe he can fight for a position in the future.

So say all this went down... this is how my 2007 Texans Would look. (DP is Draft Pick)

HB: Davis/Green/Dayne
FB: Cook
WR: Johnson/Moulds/Mathis/Walter
TE: Daniels
Left Tackle: Joe Thomas/FAaquisition
Left Guard: Chester Pitts
Center: Flanagan
Right Guard: McKinney/Weary/DP
Right Tackle: Spencer/Winston (winston starts out...and when spencer feels ready give him a shot, if both are successful I think either of these 2 could battle out in that right guard spot.

DE: Mario Williams
DT: Travis Johnson
DT: Terdell Sands
DE: Anthony Weaver
OLB: Briggs/June/one of the other 5 FAs
MLB: Demeco Ryans
OLB: Wong/Greenwood/DP
FS: Lewis or Samuel/Zbikowski(DP)
SS: Earl/Zbikowski(DP)
CB: D-Rob
CB: Faggins/DP

And last but not least a lot of you are wondering, what about quarterback?

I don't think we need to draft a young quarterback, at least not yet. Carr is an athlete... top 5 athletic quarterback in the nfl. I'd put Vick, Young, then Carr (Mcnabb and Culpepper are hurt). You need an atheletic QB in the west coast offense. Powerful arm... top 5 in the nfl considering arm strength. He is tough. No question. + He has something to prove. If we had this team assemebled their arent any excuses. Your defense can get it done, You have a talented offensive line, you have good receivers, and you have a consistent rushing attack. You have a scheme youve had to learn for a year already. You have good coach.

The only think I might do if I were the Texans at the qb spot, is bring in Jake Plummer for a QB Controversy. We don't need to baby Carr, but I dont think we need to let him go either. This kid can play when he has support. If he is given time he will find the receiver down field, and if not, he will make a play with his legs.

Behind this offensive line the past 5 years, I think John Elway in his prime would of had trouble. You cannot be successful with a crappy running game and a crappy offensive line...thats the quarterbacks two best friends.
yourfavoritetexan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: How would you fix it?

good thing you are not making the decisions
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #3
texans83
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 texans83 is a Pro Bowlertexans83 is a Pro Bowler

good blog, man I would love to have that saftey from ND but I heard he is going to take the boxing route. The man can lay some hits and he is a proven leader. well put
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #4
moses77550
Rookie

First off, I would draft A.Peterson (OU) if he is there when we pick. That should be are number one priority.
Second, I would draft a DB
Third, I would get an offensive linemen

Then hit the free agent market and pick up some big name players.
moses77550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #5
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses77550 View Post
First off, I would draft A.Peterson (OU) if he is there when we pick. That should be are number one priority.
Second, I would draft a DB
Third, I would get an offensive linemen

Then hit the free agent market and pick up some big name players.
I think we need a rb as well but im just concerned about peterson and all his injuries. The only season he acually finished in college was his freshman year. he is a great player but I just think davis will be back next yr and he will have to put up some big numbers or he will be gone.

We need to address the Oline in the 1st round that tackle from wisconsin he is amazing.
Old 12-20-2006   #6
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Davis is a top 10 back in the nfl when healthy, and i said by adding green thatd help out and plus we have dayne who is doing very well in this scheme... I wouldn't wanna pass up Joe Thomas for a running back
Old 12-20-2006   #7
texans83
All Pro

There are just so many things we have to address and change I just hope they have another great draft and a even offseason getting key free agents.
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2006   #8
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we need to accept the fact that Davis might never come back. I hear alot of people say Peterson is injury prone, but I'm not buying it. The guy had an ankle injury and collarbone injury. Ankle injuries are common for running backs at all levels and it's not nearly as bad as a knee injury. The collarbone injury was a freak injury when he dived into the endzone. Look at Mcgahee and Gore, both had knee injuries and both fell in the draft because of this. Now tell me you wouldn't want either as our RB.

Peterson is the ideal between the tackles runner.......and the guy is good. I'd love it if our RBs next year were Peterson, DD, Dayne, and Lundy. But then again, DD may never be back and we have to prepare for this.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #9
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

yeah good point about davis never coming back...but its not like we have some awesome offensive linemen waiting to come back... weve never had one in the first place. I'd rather take the chance with Davis, and pickup a franchise Left Tackle (who we have never had) then take peterson and still have a crappy to decent offensive line.
Old 12-20-2006   #10
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

We had one franchise left tackle named Boselli, he just never turned out to be who we thought we would be. Damn injuries.

As for our Oline....they're not horrible run blocking, just horrible in pass blocking. Add a good RB that can break one off and a new QB who can actually burn a defense every once in awhile, and the Oline won't be looking so bad.

I'm glad Winston is getting reps this year because he'll be better than last year because of this. We had a freak injury with Spencer, but I'm hoping he'll be back to anchor the line. One quality FA and a draft pick would do wonders to the line.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #11
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans83 View Post
I think we need a rb as well but im just concerned about peterson and all his injuries. The only season he acually finished in college was his freshman year. he is a great player but I just think davis will be back next yr and he will have to put up some big numbers or he will be gone.

We need to address the Oline in the 1st round that tackle from wisconsin he is amazing.
This is actually the first year that Adrian hasn't finished. He finished last year.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #12
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep Cook at FB? I'll much rather stick with Vonta Leach, I really like what he's doing right now
Old 12-20-2006   #13
Toro
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
I hear a lot of people talking about all the things wrong with the Texans...I am just curious to how you would fix all the Texan problems?

Hears my

Free Agency
In free agency I would love the texans to pickup a veteran defensive tackle to play alongside with Travis Johnson. I think that is a pretty glaring problem with our defense right now, is our interior line. I would love to see us get Terdell Sands, he is a backup on oakland, playing behind two veteran greats, but he has big size (6'7 340) and in college I remember him being a force out of chatanooga. That would apply more pressure on the inside that way teams can't afford doubling mario. If you watch the games Mario is getting doubled 60% of the time, and when he isn't doubled, they run away from him. Opposing NFL offenses treat Mario as an already dominant end, they gameplan for him, already, and that why he doens't seem to be as effective as people hoped.
Solid, under the radar type pickups like these make for good additions.

Quote:
Also in free agencty I would love to see the texans pickup Asante Samuel out of New England or Michael Lewis out of philadephia to play alongside Glenn Earl. We have a missing piece back there... and I think a quickfix out of free agency is the answer.
I really would like to see Lewis and perhaps a Kenny Macklin come to town. Lewis is from Houston, and being he's had a down year, might come on the cheap (or cheaper than to be expected). I still think he's got a lot of gas left in the tank, just needs a change of scenery.

Quote:
Another guy I'd love to see the Texans pursue to provide veteran leadership, and it would be highly likely considering his old head coach is on our staff, is running back Ahman Green. Texans kind of need a Running back by commitee deal because each of our running backs have weaknesses. Davis falls to injuries, Dayne doesn't have great speed, Lundy is young an inexperienced, and Ahman Green cannot carry the load. If we used Dayne in short yardage situations, and then rotated Davis/Green, I think that would really boost our running game, plus Green is a great receiving threat out of the backfield. Lundy in my opinion, still needs some time to grow.
Green's best days are behind him. I'd rather stick with what they have now than go with Green. Also, as another poster pointed out, there's a good chance we've seen the last of Domanick Davis.

Quote:
Matt Starks out of Pitt and Leonard Davis out of Arizona, if they become available, do everything in your power to pick them up kubes... but that is a major if...i see both resigning with their respective teams.
Starks will re-sign with Pittsburgh, but Davis is a goner in Arizona. The team made that fact crystal clear when they re-signed Gerald Hayes, but never once extended a contract extension offer to Davis.

As for him, his problem is 50 percent mental, 50 percent position. I think he's much better suited for the guard position for starters, and secondly he desperately needs to cut down on some of the foolish false start penalties. Otherwise, he's a worthwhile pickup.

Quote:
Cato June, Lance Briggs, Diggs, Thomas, or Fletcher, to help out our trio along with demeco. Texans... you can land one of them...and any of the 5 would be awesome. Love to see Lance Briggs out of all of them...knows how to play the 4-3 well and he has been part of a very dominant defense.
Preferrably Briggs or June. Fletcher's good, but he's getting up there in the years.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #14
carrlover
Rookie

At this point i dont even care how to fix it, this season is another f---ed up season anyway. I love the Texans so much, and I have become so broken hearted, I feel like I do when I get dissapointed in one of my kids.
carrlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #15
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
Davis is a top 10 back in the nfl when healthy, and i said by adding green thatd help out and plus we have dayne who is doing very well in this scheme... I wouldn't wanna pass up Joe Thomas for a running back

You will never see Davis on the field in a regular season game for the Texans again! Read between the lines, doctors told him his knee would always hurt if he plays, and he says he wont play if it hurts!

Thanks for the memories DD!
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #16
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

I am more entertained by the title of the thread...

HOW WOULD YOU FIX IT?

Wasn't it a few short months ago that a lot of people (we'll call it a majority - 51%) thought that this was a compete rebuilding process? ...That turning the organization around was a multi-year process, especially since our new GM hasn't had his own off season yet?

Shouldn't this be something that we continue to look at as HOW DO WE CONTINUE TO DEVELOP THIS TEAM?

I know it is somewhat nit-picky of a subject to approach, but it is as if the fan base is looking at this as a catastrophe. This team is pretty much decimated by injuries... more so than other teams, and with our depth, we can't afford that.

Let's keep our eye on the prize and continue to build, not fix.
Old 12-20-2006   #17
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent
Rookie

Fire the owner - move the team - bring back the Titans with Vince...
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #18
kingh99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Keep Cook at FB? I'll much rather stick with Vonta Leach, I really like what he's doing right now
Leach was playing better than Cook in preseason. Leach was rumbling. I feel like the coaches are looking over their shoulders wondering if pinch penny micro manager head cook and bottle washer will fire them for making a bad decision. Based on his do or die attitude about Carr one could see where this concern would come from. You make a decision at Texans land, you live with it. Forever.
Old 12-20-2006   #19
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

yeah thread title wasn't good... It is more of building onto what we have... I think our core of young players is good. I think we need to add some key veterans however, outside of flanagan and moulds...we have 0 veteran leadership. Thats why I think this offseason in free agency is just as important as the draft. We need to use the draft to help out our o line. Free agency to fill various holes with VETERANS. We have enough projects... young players etc... veterans will help out this team. Especially on the defensive side of the ball.
Old 12-20-2006   #20
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

If I were in charge I would fire everybody, trade all my draft picks for 7th rounders and draft a full team of all-pros. Then bring in the best free agents for next to nothing.

But your plan isn't too bad.
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read