Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-19-2006   #1
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21295 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected
Red face WHO is standing in the way of a Playoff Bracket in College Football? [:-o>

A very simple question...

I'm not very literate when it comes to college football. Just never really been interested in it.

Here's the question...

Who is the primary person or persons that is/are standing in the way of a playoff bracket?

I understand WHAT the argument is as to why it shouldn't be...seems like a lot of bologna to me...so who is REALLY to blame for there NOT being a playoff system instead of this BCS crapola???

Any info would be appreciated.

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WHO is standing in the way of a Playoff Bracket in College Football? [:-o>

The presidents of the major universities. Not sure of all the details, but apparently they make more money the way we have it now rather than having a playoff. I'm not sure how that's possible though. I mean, March Madness is huge and college basketball is second fiddle to college football. Imagine a playoff for football and the amount of attention it would create? Division III, Div. II, and Division I-AA all have one yet Division I doesn't. So stupid.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #3
Texans86
All Pro

Default Re: WHO is standing in the way of a Playoff Bracket in College Football? [:-o>

One excuse is that players have to take finals at schools, and that a playoff would take them out of school for even longer than a bowl. Also, how big would a bracket be? Who picks the brackets? Various little things that are hampering the playoffs. However, college football definately has to look at what they are doing. No other sport has the national championship between two teams after they have both been off for about a month, possibly more. There is definately something wrong with that.
Old 12-20-2006   #4
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

What they said.

My basic Murphys law on something like this question is: Follow the money. College presidents have the votes. This is the way they want it. Michigan should of schedule a twelth game ...or...they should of taken care of bussiness better. We do have a play off system. It's called the "season". I believe that Mier will pay for the politicing to get in the championship game in future years. tOSU is going to roll them.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I see it as using the bcs system for the regular season..then having the top 8 in bcs do the playoff. That's only 3 extra games for the 2 teams playing in the final. (of course that is 25% of their season). Final exams are the 1st or 2nd week in december, then most schools don't start back for the spring untill the 2nd or 3rd week in january. That's a whole month for the "playoff". which i see is doable.

ESPN did something on this yesterday i think but used top 10 teams with the #1 and #2 teams having a bye.

you would only have to add 2 new bowl games.

1st Round: December 16, 2006 (finals are over)
Rose Bowl: Ohio St. (1) vs. Boise St. (8)
Sugar Bowl: Florida (2) vs. Wisconsin (7)
Orange Bowl: Michigan (3) vs. Louisville (6)
Fiesta Bowl: LSU (4) vs. USC (5)

2nd Round: December 30, 2006 (2week break)
Winner of Rose Bowl vs. Winner of Fiesta Bowl
Winner of Sugar Bowl vs. Winner of Orange Bowl

Bowl Championship Game: January 13, 2007 (2week break)
Two teams left play in final championship game.

Sponsors still have rose, sugar, orange, fiesta..which are major games. more money and tv time for round 2 as well as final.

The programs competing in this are top notch programs with great players. NFL has 16 regular season games. besides the speed of the game, the length of schedule is a tough transition for rookies, a lot of these players need that transition.

Just from what I've heard from people wanting a playoff or talking about it on tv, a playoff system could happen but probably not for like 10 years.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

That's the point....What four regular season games are you gonna cut to get your play off in ? These are 18 to twenty year old kids. Frist thing...you got the presidents giving up revenue by the loss of the home and home games. Secondly, these aren't 22 to 33 year old men. They're kids. They aren't getting paid. There's no way the presidents are going to expose them to a twenty game season. So that's the cunundrum. All things in life are not neat. Go watch a child birth. I think the sytem is perfect in it's imperfection. No matter how you set the thing up...someone is always going to be screwed. It IS a mythical national champion. Always has been.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
That's the point....What four regular season games are you gonna cut to get your play off in ? These are 18 to twenty year old kids. Frist thing...you got the presidents giving up revenue by the loss of the home and home games. Secondly, these aren't 22 to 33 year old men. They're kids. They aren't getting paid. There's no way the presidents are going to expose them to a twenty game season. So that's the cunundrum. All things in life are not neat. Go watch a child birth. I think the sytem is perfect in it's imperfection. No matter how you set the thing up...someone is always going to be screwed. It IS a mythical national champion. Always has been.
So are you saying the kids playing playoff games in Division III, II, and I-AA can't do it either? Well they are and it's worked out just fine for them. The presidents that say it's in the best interest for the kids, that they have classes, that they can't do it because it's too many games, that's baloney. It's all about the money. Games interfering with finals has nothing to do with it. What, does March Madness, if you're deep in the tournament, not affect students taking tests?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2006   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Ya know i watched Grand Valley State vs. North West Mossouri St the other day. And then I watched TCU vs Nothern Illinios last night. And there is a big difference in the tallent levels. The hits aren't as severe. You're really talking apples and oranges when you compaire the two systems. On the surface it looks the same. But the Division I game is a whole lot more brutal than the division II & III games are. Not saying they don't try as hard. Saying the train wecks of hits are a whole lot more severe in division I. Guys are bigger, faster...You don't buy that....we can't talk about it. You can believe what you want to believe. Like I posted, to go to a play off in division one...you're talking about cutting games in the regular season fitting your play off games in. And that is why we probably won't see a Div I playoff system in our life time. You can either except that are not.
Old 12-20-2006   #9
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
wow, can't believe that's a smiley.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #10
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

yessir.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read