Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-19-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario Williams gets respect from Billichick

Quote:
After the New England Patriots annihilated the Houston Texans 40-7 Sunday, Pats coach Bill Belichick made sure to find Houston Texans defensive end Mario Williams. Belichick does not speak to just any player after a game, which means the "genius" must have a great deal of respect for the No. 1 draft pick.

Most people think the Texans made the wrong choice by selecting Williams over New Orleans Saints running back Reggie Bush or Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young. Belichick, however, might think otherwise.

"He told me to keep going," said a distraught Mario Williams. "He told me that I am going to be very good down the road if I just keep working. It was a little special with the praise coming from a coach like him."

That might have been one of the few bright spots on a day in which the Texans looked more a like a minor league team than a group ready to play in the NFL. "That was the worst professional performance I have ever been a part of," said Texans defensive end N.D. Kalu. "That was trash."

While some have criticized Williams for his lack of sacks and his inability to get off blockers, his teammates have nothing but respect for him, since Williams is playing on one foot. His other foot has to be wrapped since it is almost broken. Williams was limping around the locker room after the game.

"Many guys would just not play if they had Mario's injury," said Kalu. "He is giving it everything he has and we can only imagine how well he would be playing if he was healthy."
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #2
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Williams gets respect from Billichick

Go get 'em Mario, and Go Texans!
Old 12-19-2006   #3
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Mario and Meco are the future of our defense..
Old 12-19-2006   #4
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

AHHH, Poor Mario...Way to go big guy!!!!
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #5
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I've grown to admire Mario Williams for everything he has brought to this defense. He's not the problem. It's just our team is horrible. But he's going to be one of the main reasons our team will be good when it happens.
Old 12-19-2006   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He is a big physical player who is going to be very good down the road," said Patriots fullback Heath Evans. "We had to account for him all week during practice."

from the article
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"He told me to keep going," said a distraught Mario Williams. "He told me that I am going to be very good down the road if I just keep working. It was a little special with the praise coming from a coach like him."
Without a doubt, big guy, without a doubt.

I think all the criticism and mud thrown at Mario by the media will help fuel his fire. I won't be surprised to see a different player come out next year, one that will be a leader with DeMeco & D.Rob of a dominant defense. It's probably our only chance of having a winning season in the short term, because the offense is a mess right now.
Old 12-19-2006   #8
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Major respect to Billichick for being such a class act and caring about his players as well as other team's players. He knows how the business is and how the things that win football games dont show up on the highlight reel.

I am sure the comment meant a lot to Bilichick and I know Parcells said pretty much the same thing about Mario. Winning praise from those guys isnt easy and I am sure the players in the locker room and around the league respect him even more for playing hurt.

I dont blame Mario for being the #1 pick...that is for sure.
Old 12-19-2006   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Without a doubt, big guy, without a doubt.

I think all the criticism and mud thrown at Mario by the media will help fuel his fire. I won't be surprised to see a different player come out next year, one that will be a leader with DeMeco & D.Rob of a dominant defense. It's probably our only chance of having a winning season in the short term, because the offense is a mess right now.
I find myself thinking the same thing. His foot is obviously hampering him from playing to his full ability but at the same time I think it is helping him. Obviously it would be better if he were not hurt but this gives him the opportunity to prove to his team that he will fight (play through injury) for them through thick and thin. He is also learning alot from just being on the field...most guys would sit out because of this injury and their coaches learning plan for them would be temporarily halted. He is continuing to learn the game itself and also how to play in this league injured (which is very important).

I think he will be dominant next year.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #10
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

Go Super Mario! Go Texans!
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #11
everardo7206
Rookie

Location: RGV (if you don't know, thats WAAY deep south texas)

i have never thought as mario as as draft busts.. only thing, not many houston players are helping his cause either.... he makes plays that probably don't get reel in the highlights like stuffing a hole so that ryans can make a tackle, but seem insignificant after car can't throw a td
Old 12-19-2006   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Good find Wolfy.
And as a Texans fan who has reservations about the wisdom of taking Mario
with the #1, it is reassuring to hear about the likes of Bellichick make those
positive remarks right to Mario's face.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #13
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

... and it was Kubiak's first draft. How much praise was there for all of the previous FO's drafts? Crazy to feel so good about the future when the present is so rough - but I'm diggin' it.

Good find, Wolf. Thanks.

Quote:
He is particularly thankful that teammate Anthony Weaver has taken him under his wing. "He has showed me everything on and off the field," said Williams. "I have learned so much."
Thanks Weaver!!!!

Quote:
"When we played Tennessee last week," said Kalu, "one of the reasons the loss was so tough was we wanted to win that game for Mario, since everybody is talking about Vince Young and how we made a mistake selecting Williams."
Okay, I can see that... but, hmmmm....
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #14
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Good find Wolfy.
And as a Texans fan who has reservations about the wisdom of taking Mario
with the #1, it is reassuring to hear about the likes of Bellichick make those
positive remarks right to Mario's face.
+1

I've been caught up in the "did we make a mistake?" camp too. It helps to know Bellichick thinks highly of Mario, but the fact remains that he will need to emerge from potential into performance. I sincerely hope he does next season.
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #15
kingh99

If you believe in curses, he should be out of the league in 2 years due to chronic foot problems. Too many problems, one after another.
Old 12-20-2006   #16
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent
Rookie

That's what the Texans have to hang there hat on? Pathetic!

"He told me that I am going to be very good down the road if I just keep working."

I expect a coach to say that about a mid-round selection not the first overall pick in the draft!

Vince or Reggie don't need "pick me up" talks from opposing coaches after their team arse-raped them on the field - they know they are VERY GOOD!

The Texans are forever trapped in mediocrity due to decisions made from day one by the dumbest owner ever "Boob McLoser"....
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Respect from your peers and from the best coaches of our time is high praise for a player that is 21 years of age. Our future looks bright on the defensive side of the ball.
Old 12-20-2006   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Respect from your peers and from the best coaches of our time is high praise for a player that is 21 years of age. Our future looks bright on the defensive side of the ball.
We just really need a safety.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #19
sleepwalker
Veteran

Belichick is a hall of fame guru...The fact that he seeked out Mario just proves to me that this city and media *chronicle* know nothing about winning superbowls...We would rather whine about missing out on RB or VY...Belichick understands the position Mario is in as do many other great coaches like Parcells.

I wonder how many superbowls have Belichick, Parcells and Kubiak have won hmmm...I would like to know.
sleepwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #20
guichows6
Rookie

Mario will be an unstoppable force in the upcoming years! This guy is a beast, and yeah I wanted vince young too, but Mario Williams was right up there with the quality. Hes just a rook this year but he will improve, and by the 3rd or 4th year, no one will stop him! Mark my words!!! Vince who!?
guichows6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read