Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-19-2006   #1
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Running Game, Leadership, And Other Voices In My Head....

My Christmas wish for the Texans next year is a great defense and a dominant running game. Kinda like the (yuck) Steelers did to the Carolina Panties this past weekend. 40+ runs and 20 passes. You gotta love that kind of offense. Since Adrian Peterson will be long gone before we draft I'd take a hard look at signing Michael Turner from SD next year. I'm pretty sure he'll be a FA. Beef up the OL and 'PRESTO', go pound the rock. Dayne? Three good games out of 5 years in the league is not the greatest resume and I wouldn't crown him just yet.

Next on my list is difficult to find but critical to the success of all teams in the NFL.

LEADERSHIP!!!!

This team needs leadership on the field in the worst way. Here's some examples. Take away just one or two of your playmakers and the entire team looks different, and not in a good way. The Giants lost Strahan and without him on the field they just aren't as good. Jerome Bettis retired and the Steelers went into a tailspin. Imagine the Colts without Manning, the Pats without Brady, or San Diego without LT. I hate to open a sore subject, but look at VY. Plug in one player and suddenly the frickin' Titans are unbeatable. The first words out of Kubiak's mouth when he got here was how this team needed leaders.

The Texans need to find that player.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all you boys and girls!
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #2
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881
Default Re: The Running Game, Leadership, And Other Voices In My Head....

I definately think there will be a chance that A.P. will be available whe nwe draft.

Leadership is definately one thing that is bringing down our offense. Look at our defense: we've found a leader in DeMeco, and all of a sudden our defense is a lot better than it was. We get a leader (hopefully somone like Russell or Smith in the draft) at QB and I think our offense will greatly improve like the defense.
Old 12-19-2006   #3
brewhaus
All Pro

The running game is what is going to pull the Texans out of the pit they are currently in. To establish a dominant running game, you gotta win in the trenches. Once we begin to win on the line of scrimmage, the passing game will open up......but it has to start in the trenches.

Let's draft an O-Lineman in the first round in '07 !!
Old 12-19-2006   #4
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Too bad you can't draft leadership, this team really needs someone to step up.
Old 12-20-2006   #5
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

We could have drafted leadership last year. Vince Young is a leader.

Also, DeMeco Ryans is a leader on defense.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it was a Louisville game I was watching during mid season, the one where they were undeated playing rutgers or WV..idon't really remember. But they showed Michael Bush on the sidelines (cuz he was injured) and he was pumping up the players and really motivating them. I remember the announcers showing this and talking about how much of a leader he is and brings the best out in the other players even while injured.

I don't know what to think about drafting him..in the 2nd? with that sort of leg injury but I really liked hearing about that leadership and drive and passion from him.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #7
prostock101
Mr. Big

I only saw Michael Bush in one game and that was the one he broke his leg in. What I did see was impressive. Anyone else have any thoughts on him?

Also, my reasoning for wanting that dominant style of running game is that you dont' need a QB that has to throw 35-40 times a game ala Big Ben. Roth isnt' the greatest QB but he doesn't have to be. Carr could possibly thrive in an offense like that but my big concern with him has always been his leadership skills. One thing that has always stuck out for me is the fact that he is never elected a team leader by his teammates. If he has then someone show me when because I've never seen it.

Last edited by prostock101; 12-20-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2006   #8
sleepwalker
Veteran

Kubiak is building this team up to win big games by running the ball with long sustaining drives...That's how you win big games and keep people like Manning off the field, right?

I would love to see some leadership on the OL...It has always been my opinion that trying to make Carr the offensive leader was a mistake...The true leader is Andre.

This team needs everyone to gel into their role...Andre needs to lead and Carr needs to shut up, perform and not turn the ball over...I think the sooner they work this out, the better off they will be next year.
sleepwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #9
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange View Post
We could have drafted leadership last year. Vince Young is a leader.

Also, DeMeco Ryans is a leader on defense.
GET THE FREAK OVER IT!!!
Old 12-20-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus View Post
The running game is what is going to pull the Texans out of the pit they are currently in. To establish a dominant running game, you gotta win in the trenches. Once we begin to win on the line of scrimmage, the passing game will open up......but it has to start in the trenches.

Let's draft an O-Lineman in the first round in '07 !!
Absolutely.......

IT sucks that we haven't played the same 5 guys for as much as a 4 game stretch yet.... but I think we have the better players in the game now(with the exception of maybe Spencer). You can see things starting to happen on the offensive line, the guys are getting better. If we can keep this group(plus Spencer hopefully), we're going to have a hell of a run game next year.

Kubiak believes in Dayne, so expect him to be our starter..... with a shot every now and then from Gado..... it's going to be exciting...... very exciting.
Old 12-20-2006   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Currently i think we are ranked about 21 in the nfl in time of possession at 29:17 . i was surprised and thought we'd be lower. i guess the short throws, staying in bounds does eat a lot of time.

If we can get a consistent running game, not superior just consistent and extend our drives another few plays or first downs, i feel that might be one of the biggest helps for our defense. our defense is steadily improving and if they have less time on the field and more time to rest it would do them wonders.

Even if our offense doesnt score but runs down the field..or we are limited to a field goal..i think through the course of the game that saves our defense at least a touchdown maybe more.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read