Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-07-2004   #21
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The running was not the problem before. It was the fact that Palmer ran 90% or first downs.
When was "before?" I just looked at the two losses and the Texans ran 68% of the time on first down against SD, and 56% of the time on first down against Detroit. I excluded the final drive of the game from the Det number since it was hurry-up and almost exclusively pass. Against Oakland they ran on first down 61% of the time which appears to be about normal for this offense based on the other games. The Oak number excludes the kneel downs at the end and counts the Carr scramble at the end of the half as a pass.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #22
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
where are the rest of the stats? How about time of possession? did we have the ball more against oakland than we did against the other 3 teams? id say thats probably the case since we had 5 turnovers.

how about how many times did we rush in the fourth quarter while trying to run down the clock?

How about.. how many times did we pass the ball? More than previous games? id bet we passed it more cause it sure seemed like it in the game.

Yah we rushed 40 times.. but we still had a more balanced attack. We passed more.. and they werent dump off passes... and we rushed at the RIGHT TIMES (except those 3 times on the 7 yard line).

And its not just the amount of rushes that was pissing people off.. it was the overuse of D. Davis. In the first 2 games.. if we werent handing it off to him.. chances are we were dumping it off to him.

All that aside.. do we have to play the "im a better fan cause i didnt complain" game? if someone makes a STUPID negative comment about the team.. yah.. tear them a new one. But if there are INTELLIGENT debates with valid points being made, i dont think that qualifies as "bad fans". So why dont we drop the whole back patting party.
Saying DD fumbles because Palmer is running the wrong plays or DD is over used IS a stupid negative comment. However my post was not directed at anyone in specific.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #23
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

When interviewed on 610 radio the other day, Mack Brown stated that the 10 teams in the NFL last week with more running plays than passing plays were 10-0 last weekend.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
When interviewed on 610 radio the other day, Mack Brown stated that the 10 teams in the NFL last week with more running plays than passing plays were 10-0 last weekend.
Gil Brandt had a similar statement:

Quote:
Despite the universal prediction that passing would increase this season, teams that ran more than they passed were 11-1 last week. In Week 3, teams that ran more were 6-1; the only team to lose that week despite running more was Kansas City, and that's because they allowed a defensive touchdown against the Texans.
Link
Old 10-07-2004   #25
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Saying DD fumbles because Palmer is running the wrong plays or DD is over used IS a stupid negative comment
lucky for me i didnt say that then.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #26
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 57823 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballbutterfly
Okay, first let me say that I love our RBs! Still, I think that the vast majority of possessions the play call is predictable - Run, Run, Pass. I am an "air it out" advocate, but I agree that we should not stifle the run game. The only point I want to make is that we should not run THREE run plays in the red zone when the first (and then the second!) yield no gain! Try a play action to one of our tight ends or Johnson. I am not anti-Palmer nor anti-run game, but I am against settling for 3 instead of taking a SMALL chance and going for 6.
Im glad Oakland tried to pass for six. :hehe: Especially since Zero had been running so well all game.
102 yard int/runback for Texans TD.
Old 10-07-2004   #27
footballbutterfly
Rookie

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Are you trying to equate Kerry Collins to David Carr? I mean really, Collins is much older, does not have the talent that Carr has (Porter Schmorter and don't even get me started on what they are doing to Rice) and our D is so much better than Oakland's. As far as Zereoue (yes that would be the correct SPELLING OF HIS WHOLE LAST NAME!!!) he is not that great and that is why the Steelers kept the BUS and let his sorry A*@ go!
footballbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2004   #28
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
lucky for me i didnt say that then.
"And its not just the amount of rushes that was pissing people off.. it was the overuse of D. Davis."

If you say so bro.
Old 10-07-2004   #29
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We keep saying to fire Palmer and they've won the last 2 in a row. As long as we keep winning that way, I say, "FIRE PALMER!!!!!!!" :hehe:
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #30
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind
All that aside.. do we have to play the "im a better fan cause i didnt complain" game? if someone makes a STUPID negative comment about the team.. yah.. tear them a new one. But if there are INTELLIGENT debates with valid points being made, i dont think that qualifies as "bad fans". So why dont we drop the whole back patting party.
Nice rant but what the heck are you talking about? I noticed you used quotes for "bad fans". Who were you quoting? I started this thread and have checked everywhere and do not see that reference anywhere? It is rather satisfying to see the Texans win 2 in a row by executing using the same coaching staff they had at 0-2. I still say If Davis doesnt fumble the Texans are at least 3-1 if not 4-0 and DD is the next Barry Sanders and Palmer is a genius. Back to what I said in the original post. " Winning changes everything for the arm-chair QB."
Old 10-07-2004   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwwillis
Back to what I said in the original post. " Winning changes everything for the arm-chair QB."
This is a message board so obviously the point is discussion. Having said that, absolutely agree. Too many people want to fire a coach or player rather than breaking down plays and seeing the failure in execution. Sometimes failure in execution can mean player replacement--sometimes it doesn't, like giving rookies time to adjust or an OL time to gel and get adjusted to a new scheme.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read