Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-19-2006   #1
Sportsfan
All Pro

Default The Chronic's Lopez: Young QB makes sense for Texans

Good article here by John Lopez of the Chronic.

Dec. 19, 2006, 12:32AM
Young QB makes sense for Texans

By JOHN P. LOPEZ
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The three biggest joke expansion teams in the history of the NFL have been the New Orleans Saints, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Texans.

And of those three, the numbers say the Texans are bringing up the rear in futility, having won just 27.5 percent of their games in their first five years of existence, compared to 28.5 by the Saints over the same span and 28.9 by the Bucs.

That's how bad things have become. That's how far this organization still has to go.

Those are formidable numbers. They tell you this club must start over, building again from the beginning, acting as if the first five years didn't even happen.

Five years of mistakes might be impossible to erase, and football fans have long memories. But if you acknowledge that David Carr's career in Houston is all but done and who doesn't at this point? then why take on more potential dead weight?

Rest of article: Lopez: Young QB makes sense for Texans
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #2
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl
Default Re: The Chronic's Lopez: Young QB makes sense for Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan View Post
Good article here by John Lopez of the Chronic.

Dec. 19, 2006, 12:32AM
Young QB makes sense for Texans

By JOHN P. LOPEZ
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The three biggest joke expansion teams in the history of the NFL have been the New Orleans Saints, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Texans.

And of those three, the numbers say the Texans are bringing up the rear in futility, having won just 27.5 percent of their games in their first five years of existence, compared to 28.5 by the Saints over the same span and 28.9 by the Bucs.

That's how bad things have become. That's how far this organization still has to go.

Those are formidable numbers. They tell you this club must start over, building again from the beginning, acting as if the first five years didn't even happen.

Five years of mistakes might be impossible to erase, and football fans have long memories. But if you acknowledge that David Carr's career in Houston is all but done and who doesn't at this point? then why take on more potential dead weight?

Rest of article: Lopez: Young QB makes sense for Texans

Yeah and he forgot to mention in 4 of those years, we had Capers who should have been long gone after the second year...Just my opinion...Only part i really agree with is that the Texans are starting from the beginning as if the previous 5 years never existed...
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #3
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

What strikes me is that these guys talk about Carr being gone is a question of "when" instead of "if."

From the article:

Quote:
There are a number of challenges Kubiak and Smith will face when Carr's Texans career mercifully ends in two weeks. Namely, the likely top teams in next April's draft, the Raiders and Lions, will be in the market for a quarterback, too.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #4
real

David Carr will retire a Texan.
Old 12-19-2006   #5
QB75
Veteran

Rep Power: 19 QB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
David Carr will retire a Texan.
I hope that his career lasts 10 to 15 years and that you are right!
QB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #6
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddar View Post
I hope he retires after next season then.
Then he'll come back and be our QB coach for 30 yrs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB75 View Post
I hope that his career lasts 10 to 15 years and that you are right!
Yeah.....I'd really like that too......
Old 12-19-2006   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Then he's going to come back and be our QB coach for 30 yrs.....

Yeah.....I'd really like that too......
Hey where are drinking at ... I'll meet you .

I know your just playing .
Old 12-19-2006   #8
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

There is zero chance Carr remains here. If they keep Carr the stands will be empty.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #9
real

Arrow Re: The Chronic's Lopez: Young QB makes sense for Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
There is zero chance Carr remains here. If they keep Carr the stands will be empty.
thats not an issue....apparently the seats are sold out for the next 10,000 years any way....
Old 12-19-2006   #10
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
...By the time Kubiak got his hands on Carr, the quarterback already had been beaten down. The buzz was gone and so was the confidence. Why not start with an eager kid, a clean slate and no baggage?
That's what I'm thinking. Easier to mold a new player than get rid of the bad habits of a veteran.

Quote:
Kubiak taught and tested Carr often but failed on both fronts. When Kubiak benched Carr in the first Tennessee Titans game, he hoped to find some kind of fight in his quarterback. Instead, he found a broken football heart.

Before that Titans game, Carr threw nine touchdowns and just four interceptions and had a 97.9 quarterback rating. Since that benching, he has thrown just one touchdown while suffering six picks and posting a 70.9 quarterback rating.
That's just crazy. Understandable about our O-line being depleted throughout the season (which would be interesting to compare when they started dropping to Carr's abilities went down) but as noted in numerous other threads, that's part of the NFL and all teams go through it, every year. Some teams obviously, have more on IR than others depending on the year. But my point is, if Carr continued here and we continue to have a depleted oline as the year progresses each season, are the fans / team going to be okay having a QB that relies on having all starting "parts" available to succeed or would you like to see a QB (Carr or otherwise) step up when players are out and make adjustments to still succeed?
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #11
old football fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ View Post
That's what I'm thinking. Easier to mold a new player than get rid of the bad habits of a veteran.

That's just crazy. Understandable about our O-line being depleted throughout the season (which would be interesting to compare when they started dropping to Carr's abilities went down) but as noted in numerous other threads, that's part of the NFL and all teams go through it, every year. Some teams obviously, have more on IR than others depending on the year. But my point is, if Carr continued here and we continue to have a depleted oline as the year progresses each season, are the fans / team going to be okay having a QB that relies on having all starting "parts" available to succeed or would you like to see a QB (Carr or otherwise) step up when players are out and make adjustments to still succeed?
But the Texans starting OL is way below avg. for the league, so what does that tell you about there replacements!
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #12
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by old football fan View Post
But the Texans starting OL is way below avg. for the league, so what does that tell you about there replacements!
Our back-ups aren't even way below average...
Old 12-19-2006   #13
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a feeling Carr will be traded to the Raiders. They need a QB bad and I don't think they will draft Quinn. DC is from Northern Cal and will be heading home after the season. I think we'll get a 3rd rounder for him.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #14
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull View Post
What strikes me is that these guys talk about Carr being gone is a question of "when" instead of "if."

From the article:
yeah i find that odd too
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #15
Boris
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 Boris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVP

i have 2 words

matt cassell NE Pats

what are our chances of landing him?
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #16
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Dude shut up, if the Texans have a stellar defense and a Adrian Peterson (or someone else whos really good) in the backfield the fans will come. I think Carr has issues however he isnt the only reason the Texans lose games. Give Carr a good running back and he'll be a poor mans Elway.

I really dont think the texans need to start a rookie QB next year guys. He'll just end up like David, and please be honest with yourself. You know as well as I do that there arent any Vince Youngs in the draft at QB so chill. There are some good running backs however.

Houston Fans "The worst in the country"
Old 12-19-2006   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we need to prepare ourselves for Carr's return in 2007. I have a feeling that they're going to keep trottin' him out there with the hopes that line upgrades and a running game will *magically* make him a better QB who can read defenses and lead his receivers.

He could be gone the day the season ends, but I have to mentally prepare myself that he's going to be here until we learn otherwise.
Old 12-19-2006   #18
Honch Delgado
Veteran

Agree with most of the article except trading up for Brady Quinn. This draft class looks like your standard run of the mill QB class and Quinn isn't as good as the 3 that were taken this year. Draft a QB in the later rounds. For every Peyton and Carson there are half a dozen Harringtons, Bollers, Carrs, and such.
Old 12-19-2006   #19
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Lopez is so FOS, it be a miracle if he doesn't have brown eyes.

If this lamed-brained organization even thinks about trading up for, much less even just drafting a QB on the first day, whether Carr is here or not, after NOT getting you-know-who in the last draft, I'd actually help the UT fans burn Reliant Stadium to the ground.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #20
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by old football fan View Post
As a group, yes. However, there are some bright spots (last year's FA and drafts) and some "possibles". But with another draft and FA coming up - take the best of the best out of that group, the rest become backups and either Carr or another vet start next year at QB while our drafted QB watched from the sidelines. Don't kill the young, future QB like we did 5 years ago.

Maybe I'm going the utopian, casual fan route?
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read