Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-19-2006   #1
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jevan Snead transfers

Just heard it on 610. He's going to Ole Miss.

Sorry Coogs and Frogs.

I was also hoping that he would transfer to UH.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #2
uteric3232
Rookie

Default Re: Jevan Snead transfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddar View Post
Amazing...he couldn't handle competition so he left. What a pud. Good riddance, Snead.

dont be ignorant...

Really, what are the chances that he sees the field with the type of year Colt had? Colt will be healed and ready to go by fall, and throw in the fact that Texas has another 2 stud QB recruits coming in there is no guarantee that Jevan will even be 2nd string next year.

He has big time potential, and it it only fair for him to be able to showcase his talent. I wish him the best of luck.
uteric3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

or maybe he did work extremely hard and did everything he could to get the starting job, but colt mccoy was simply better. a kid's college career isn't that long, and you can't just take a backseat to someone else if you can start elsewhere.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #4
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Yeah Snead had to go...he really wouldn't get any playing time at UT...we're getting Chiles and Brantley in 2007, 2 5 star QBs out of HS...so Snead would have been out of place anyway.
Old 12-19-2006   #5
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Come on. You know Mack Brown's not against starting a bigtime recruit over a QB who played good football. Think Chris Simms and Major Applewhite for a minute. If Snead would have worked hard and come into the Bowl Game and played well and then had a good Spring, there's nothing to say that he couldn't have supplanted McCoy. I don't think the kid had the drive to do it.
I seem to recall that Mack said he never wanted to get into another QB platoon / controversy like he had with Simms and Applewhite. I think Mack is going to be locked in on McCoy for the long run.

A college QB really doesn't have that long to shine. I don't blame Snead for feeling like he needed to transfer. After McCoy rose to the top this year and had all the success early on, you had to figure that Snead would want to transfer.

If things do not work out for him at Ol' Miss, then I'll have to wonder about his attitude and competitive drive.
Old 12-19-2006   #6
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Yeah Snead had to go...he really wouldn't get any playing time at UT...we're getting Chiles and Brantley in 2007, 2 5 star QBs out of HS...so Snead would have been out of place anyway.
I'll set the over/under at 1 year before one of them transfers as well.

I won't complain then, either. IMO, transfers are a sign of a good college program.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #7
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Good luck to him. I hope he does well there.
Old 12-19-2006   #8
uteric3232
Rookie

Quote:
Come on. You know Mack Brown's not against starting a bigtime recruit over a QB who played good football. Think Chris Simms and Major Applewhite for a minute. If Snead would have worked hard and come into the Bowl Game and played well and then had a good Spring, there's nothing to say that he couldn't have supplanted McCoy. I don't think the kid had the drive to do it.
1. Snead is not the same type of "bigtime recruit" name as Simms was. Do you remember huge ESPN coverage of Snead changing from Florida to Texas comparable to Simms changing? How long did Snead's dad play in the NFL? Ya, I don't think there is too much pressure on Mack to play Snead as there was with Simms.

2. It is not just McCoy, there is Chiles, Brantley, and hell even Harris to worry about.

3. This decision is possibly worth millions. He could either take a chance that he never plays, and holds a clipboard for 4 years. OR he could make the smart choice and go to a program in a major conf. (that has recently produced a #1 NFL Draft Pick at QB) where he knows that more than likely he is going to be the man and have the chance to turn himself into a high NFL pick, BUT at the same time take the chance that some "fan" sitting behind a computer questions his drive.

Ya, tough one....
uteric3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #9
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

chiles won't be a QB at UT he has said that thats the position he wants to play, but apparently he is really raw, and i doubt he can form his game to NFL talent as a QB
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #10
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Good place for him. If he has the talent the SEC will reward him well.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Amazing...he couldn't handle competition so he left. What a pud. Good riddance, Snead.
Amazing, a guy that just wants to play football. A guy who is willing to go to TCU, Houston, or Ole Miss instead of try at UT. Let's see the best bowl any of these teams have been to in the last few years. I'd say maybe Ole Miss in the Cotton Bowl in 2003.

A lesser person would be more inclined to do what they can at UT and hope they are a part of a national championship, big 12 championship team.

Brent Schaffer was the transfer we got this year, he has 1 year left.
Seth Adams is a junior who is decent.
Snead would walk in and be the instant starter after he sits out a year for eligibility.

I'm really looking forward to him being there. Ole miss is a very young team right now that will significantly improve in the next few years. The recruiting has been amazing more than anything once Ed Orgeron from USC came over and a few coaches left Miami. Ole Miss will start being a contender in the SEC. Smart choice by this kid. looks like I'll be going to the rajun cajun every saturday to watch me some sec football.

UT Folks: Those that have seen him play/practice or know the program in austin...What kind of guy is Snead? characterwise...leadership qualities...or is he just really good. Is he really THAT good? what are his strengths and weaknesses.

thanks.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #12
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
I haven't quite figured this one out. Colt is only going to be in his second year, and given Mack Brown's nearly impeccable record of keeping students all four years, why would two blue chip prospects commit there? Is it pride? Is it the thought that I am better than Colt McCoy, I can beat him, and this other 5 star guy? There's a little bit positive about loving competition, but there's so many teams out there that they could go to and make a major contribution guaranteed. There will be at least one 5 star recruit riding the pine for the next few years at UT. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them transfers next year if Colt comes back full strength as the starter.
Old 12-20-2006   #13
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86 View Post
I haven't quite figured this one out. Colt is only going to be in his second year, and given Mack Brown's nearly impeccable record of keeping students all four years, why would two blue chip prospects commit there? Is it pride? Is it the thought that I am better than Colt McCoy, I can beat him, and this other 5 star guy? There's a little bit positive about loving competition, but there's so many teams out there that they could go to and make a major contribution guaranteed. There will be at least one 5 star recruit riding the pine for the next few years at UT. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them transfers next year if Colt comes back full strength as the starter.
Wasn't Colt McCoy a redshirt Freshman and Snead a true freshman? Doesn't really have much to do with your question, but I guess I can see it making a little more sense if they came in a year seperate. If two blue chip QB prospects came in at the same time, well that would be odd.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #14
GoTexans
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uteric3232 View Post
dont be ignorant...

Really, what are the chances that he sees the field with the type of year Colt had? Colt will be healed and ready to go by fall, and throw in the fact that Texas has another 2 stud QB recruits coming in there is no guarantee that Jevan will even be 2nd string next year.

He has big time potential, and it it only fair for him to be able to showcase his talent. I wish him the best of luck.
i agree going to ole miss..is the right move for him if he wants to ever have a chance at being an NFL QB.

UT will be fine without him.
Old 12-20-2006   #15
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull
I'll set the over/under at 1 year before one of them (Brantley/Chiles) transfers as well.
I'll take the under...way under. Brantley announced today that he's going to Florida instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23
chiles won't be a QB at UT he has said that thats the position he wants to play, but apparently he is really raw, and i doubt he can form his game to NFL talent as a QB
With Snead's transfer and Brantley change of heart, Chiles will be given every chance to show he can be a QB in college. And if Pat White can do it, so can Chiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
Wasn't Colt McCoy a redshirt Freshman and Snead a true freshman? Doesn't really have much to do with your question, but I guess I can see it making a little more sense if they came in a year seperate. If two blue chip QB prospects came in at the same time, well that would be odd.
That is correct.

The thinking at the time was that Snead would be able to redshirt while Vince was playing out his final year of eligibility and Colt would do the mop-up duty. Snead would have a full 1 1/2 (he was an early enrollee) and still have four full years to win the starting job. When Vince declared early, that all changed and he was left to do battle against a QB that already had a full year in the offense.

But with the breaking news today of Brantley's decision and Colt's health not improving, Snead has got to be kicking himself in the butt right now.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read