Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-18-2006   #1
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post STILL Keep Carr and Kubiak

Now don't get me wrong here, I understand what has brought this on. As I have been a season ticket holder since the beginning I (well actually all of us)would really like to see us win some games and had always hoped to make a playoff game if we ever got there.

Thing is that at the beginning of the season many people knew what the Texans had and I am not going to try to go back through all the old post but many folks stated that, "hey we know this is a bust year, new coach, many new things, we win a few games and look to the coming years." Now that the season has gone bad many of the same people are in a rage that we didn't make the super bowl.

Did all these Real Texans Fans suddenly lose there once good grip on the reality of the Texans for this year.

Sure Carr didn't turn out like everyone hoped and its best that he and the Texans probably take a fresh approach and start. Most people knew that the Capers regime ruined him. But not me. DC IS a great QB, and I stand behind my word. He'll be here next year and he'll be starting.

Everyone worries about Carr but it took what 5 years for someone to at least start to address our most glaring problem not OL, thats BS. This year was a start but far too few and no depth. While we have made nice moves on DL, we just totally wrecked our Defensive Secondary because we didn't want to pay a few bucks to keep some veterans to help out. We have recievers that can't seem to manage to get open and when they do either Carr doesn't get them the ball or they drop it. Speaking for the "Franchise Keeper".

But then again these are all things that were known before the season even started and most people knew this.

Now we have everyone screaming wanting to lynch McNair [b](Hell the man brought football back to Houston)[/B], Lynch Kubiak after 1 season, Lynch Carr, Lynch Mario, Lynch Dunta,, wow I'm sick of losing but "chill out."

I know it is very frustrating and maybe its best the season is coming to a close so everyone can step back an take a breath.

I went into every season so far with the Texans knowing full well what was going to be on the field for the most part and I still got my season tickets. I know DC will be on the field next season, but hope that there are some major changes in players. Am still gonna have my season tickets even though I am displeased with things?! Well HELL YES because its football and for better or worse Sunday tailgating with friends and watching football in the stadium (even though we are losing) still makes for a nice day for me.

***WE'LL BEAT THE COLTS SUNDAY***
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #2
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: STILL Keep Carr and Kubiak

The problem with this we got some players or player to be perfectly clear AJ that can opt out of their contract wich more certainly be the case if we dont make any drastic changes. i dont want to lose a real gem for heath shuler.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #3
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
Now don't get me wrong here, I understand what has brought this on. As I have been a season ticket holder since the beginning I (well actually all of us)would really like to see us win some games and had always hoped to make a playoff game if we ever got there.

Thing is that at the beginning of the season many people knew what the Texans had and I am not going to try to go back through all the old post but many folks stated that, "hey we know this is a bust year, new coach, many new things, we win a few games and look to the coming years." Now that the season has gone bad many of the same people are in a rage that we didn't make the super bowl.

Did all these Real Texans Fans suddenly lose there once good grip on the reality of the Texans for this year.

Sure Carr didn't turn out like everyone hoped and its best that he and the Texans probably take a fresh approach and start. Most people knew that the Capers regime ruined him. But not me. DC IS a great QB, and I stand behind my word. He'll be here next year and he'll be starting.

Everyone worries about Carr but it took what 5 years for someone to at least start to address our most glaring problem not OL, thats BS. This year was a start but far too few and no depth. While we have made nice moves on DL, we just totally wrecked our Defensive Secondary because we didn't want to pay a few bucks to keep some veterans to help out. We have recievers that can't seem to manage to get open and when they do either Carr doesn't get them the ball or they drop it. Speaking for the "Franchise Keeper".

But then again these are all things that were known before the season even started and most people knew this.

Now we have everyone screaming wanting to lynch McNair [b](Hell the man brought football back to Houston)[/B], Lynch Kubiak after 1 season, Lynch Carr, Lynch Mario, Lynch Dunta,, wow I'm sick of losing but "chill out."

I know it is very frustrating and maybe its best the season is coming to a close so everyone can step back an take a breath.

I went into every season so far with the Texans knowing full well what was going to be on the field for the most part and I still got my season tickets. I know DC will be on the field next season, but hope that there are some major changes in players. Am still gonna have my season tickets even though I am displeased with things?! Well HELL YES because its football and for better or worse Sunday tailgating with friends and watching football in the stadium (even though we are losing) still makes for a nice day for me.

Nice post, I agree people need to chill out.
austintexanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #4
IndependentMark
Rookie

Quote:

I appreciate your optimism and support for the team with 2 games remaining, but the fact is, beating the Colts Sunday is a long shot. The game plan will be set up so that Carr does not throw any passes downfield. There may be some vertical passes thrown, but most of them will be no more than 10 yards. You will see a lot of horizontal passes and hand offs to Ron Dayne. The play calling will be tight/limited and predictable. The Colts should have a feast on this.

I'm glad that you want David back next year and have faith in his ability to be a good QB, but the fact is, the coaches and mgt will do what is best for the team and gives us the best chance to win, and sadly, it is almost certain that they will head in a new direction next season. Carr just isn't getting anything done here. He's not winning games. (1 TD pass in the last 8 games). Carr might be kept as a backup if they feel it would be worth more to demote him than to trade him for a 4th/5th round pick. You can usually measure how good a QB is by their trade value. I always felt that Carr was a solid QB with potential, but when his trade value equals a 4th or 5th round pick, that tells me otherwise.

There should be open competition for the QB spot during next year's preseason. It's unfair, maybe even disrespectful, to the other QBs who are working really hard during practice to not get a chance to have the starting job, especially Sage Rosenfels, who has clearly shown the potential to be good. Carr is getting special treatment because of his contract extension and salary, and it would do him well to actually have to earn the starting job next season.
IndependentMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #5
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: STILL Keep Carr and Kubiak

So......if we cut or trade Carr (which I think is a bad idea). Do we pick up Troy Smith? Obviously we have to get someone who can move, b/c trading Carr is not going to change the fact that we have a horrendous line that is going to give up 5 or more sack/game. Especially to a rookie.

So where do you go? The QB has to be mobile. Without the annoying b@tching about shoulda woulda coulda, who do you pick up if you're Kubiak?

Come on you "Carr-Bashers", you're telling me that Chris Simms or Jake Plummer is the key to victory.........................come on guys.

***KEEP CARR AND KUBIAK***
Old 12-18-2006   #6
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:

can you say ?
Old 12-19-2006   #7
MrMeToo
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
can you say ?
LoL. So true...
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2006   #8
IndependentMark
Rookie

Quote:
So......if we cut or trade Carr (which I think is a bad idea). Do we pick up Troy Smith? Obviously we have to get someone who can move, b/c trading Carr is not going to change the fact that we have a horrendous line that is going to give up 5 or more sack/game. Especially to a rookie.

So where do you go? The QB has to be mobile. Without the annoying b@tching about shoulda woulda coulda, who do you pick up if you're Kubiak?

Come on you "Carr-Bashers", you're telling me that Chris Simms or Jake Plummer is the key to victory.........................come on guys.

***KEEP CARR AND KUBIAK***

I wish you had read my post, because I believe I answered your question and gave you the ideas you're trying to get from everyone.

Realistically, they probably won't cut or trade Carr. He will be around next year. The o-line is not horrendous. I believe this has always been a propaganda dispersed onto the media and message boards in order to take the focus off of Carr's play and give him an excuse for his poor play, thereby justifying McNair and Co.'s mistake to give him a contract extension. Notice how nobody ever talked about the o-line the first 3 years, when Carr was getting a free ticket because of the whole expansion thing. The current o-line with the replacements is horrendous, but the starting 5 are not.
IndependentMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #9
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Wink Re: STILL Keep Carr and Kubiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
can you say ?

After listening to the best of the best give me his scouting report on Carr,(Coach Belichick from the Patriots), I want to see Bob McNair give Carr some more of his money so I can enjoy his play for years to come.

"I've seen every game," Belichick said of Carr and the Texans. "He's a fast, very athletic guy who makes a lot of plays on his own with his feet. Either at running or buying time in the pocket or scrambling to get out of the pocket. He has a couple big receivers and he'll throw the ball up to them and give them a chance to make plays on it, which I think is good."

"He uses his outlet receivers very well, tight ends and the backs all handle the ball very well. He usually has a good sense of when he's in trouble of how to get the ball to them. A lot of the times that he's been sacked, for the most part, what I've seen is he hasn't had much of a chance."

"I think he has a good field sense of knowing where his outlet receivers are. And he's made some good throws down the field, too. It's not like he hasn't hit some deep balls. He's got a good arm and he's a good athlete. He's the most athletic quarterback that we've faced to this point this year. The quickest and the most athletic."

There, Carr haters. What do you think of that? Carr is a great athlete and he makes plays with his feet, just like John Elway. He buys time in the pocket like Peyton Manning. He'll put the ball up and let his receivers make plays on them, just like Terry Bradshaw once did. He uses his outlet receivers like Tom Brady does. He has that sixth sense in the pocket like Roger Staubach had. And when that pressure is on him, he's quick enough and athletic enough to be able to get out like Fran Tarkenton.

My point exactly.
Old 12-19-2006   #10
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah well, Missing on Boselli, Wade, Tucker, Wand, McKinney, (did I forget anyone? Milford Brown ?)...might not be a problem for you. But 266 sacks over four years didn't just matriculate to the Texans. We earned them. DC has fallen and he ain't getting up. They may trot him out there next season. But the resluts are going to be the same. The guy needs a year just to rest his body and mind...then he might be ready to start over again. The only reason the guy is on the roster next season is because they're going for the Ray Rice -Darrin McFaddin sweeps in the '08 draft. They don't get a legit OLT prospect, won't make a damn who they draft. Or who the QB is.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #11
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 42196 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleichick View Post

..."I've seen every game," Belichick said of Carr and the Texans. "He's a fast, very athletic guy who makes a lot of plays on his own with his feet. Either at running or buying time in the pocket or scrambling to get out of the pocket. He has a couple big receivers and he'll throw the ball up to them and give them a chance to make plays on it, which I think is good."....
Cool coach, so what say ya? Brady for Carr straight up?
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #12
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Nice post, I like your optomism. It's tough to take a step back and really look at the big picture. I do remember many posts on here, prior to the season, that stated that it was a real possibility that we only win 5 games at the most. There have many changes that have been made and I don't really know what the main factor is for our failures as a whole. Is it the QB? Is it the route running of the receivers? Is it the O-line? A combo of all? Who knows.....no one except for the coaching staff and I don't see them telling us what it is. I will keep faith in this staff to turn this team around and produce a winner. The positive thing is, this staff is far superior to the one we had last season.
Old 12-19-2006   #13
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Has anyone heard anything about Spencer???? Last i heard his injury was career ending????? Is that true?
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #14
kingh99

Quote:

Bob, Bob, Bob, didn't Enron teach you not to cheat in order to color people's perceptions. Stop posting on your boards under an assumed identity.
Old 12-19-2006   #15
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

There's a poster who's his friend and he sayed that Spencer is doing well . He's keeping his weight off and rehabbing .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #16
kingh99

Quote:

After listening to the best of the best give me his scouting report on Carr,(Coach Belichick from the Patriots), I want to see Bob McNair give Carr some more of his money so I can enjoy his play for years to come.

"I've seen every game," Belichick said of Carr and the Texans. "He's a fast, very athletic guy who makes a lot of plays on his own with his feet. Either at running or buying time in the pocket or scrambling to get out of the pocket. He has a couple big receivers and he'll throw the ball up to them and give them a chance to make plays on it, which I think is good."

"He uses his outlet receivers very well, tight ends and the backs all handle the ball very well. He usually has a good sense of when he's in trouble of how to get the ball to them. A lot of the times that he's been sacked, for the most part, what I've seen is he hasn't had much of a chance."

"I think he has a good field sense of knowing where his outlet receivers are. And he's made some good throws down the field, too. It's not like he hasn't hit some deep balls. He's got a good arm and he's a good athlete. He's the most athletic quarterback that we've faced to this point this year. The quickest and the most athletic."

There, Carr haters. What do you think of that? Carr is a great athlete and he makes plays with his feet, just like John Elway. He buys time in the pocket like Peyton Manning. He'll put the ball up and let his receivers make plays on them, just like Terry Bradshaw once did. He uses his outlet receivers like Tom Brady does. He has that sixth sense in the pocket like Roger Staubach had. And when that pressure is on him, he's quick enough and athletic enough to be able to get out like Fran Tarkenton.

My point exactly.

What do I think? I think you're a troll.
Old 12-19-2006   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember many of the pre-season posts as well. Other than a few rediculous predictions, most were around 5-6 wins. I can't speak for others on the board so this is my opinion: the most important thing that I wanted to see was improvement throughout the year. IMO, the defense has improved given the injury issues they've had to deal with. I'd still like to have a better pass rush, but it'll come in due time.
On the offensive side of the ball the improvement reached it's peak around the mid-season point. Since then, they've done nothing to show any signs of improvement. Matter of fact, at times they've looked worse than last year. Injuries have been an issue, sure, but every other team in the NFL compensates for thier losses. We'll eventually get better, but offensively we have a long ways to go.
Old 12-19-2006   #18
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
There's a poster who's his friend and he sayed that Spencer is doing well . He's keeping his weight off and rehabbing .
Thats good to hear...
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #19
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I remember many of the pre-season posts as well. Other than a few rediculous predictions, most were around 5-6 wins. I can't speak for others on the board so this is my opinion: the most important thing that I wanted to see was improvement throughout the year. IMO, the defense has improved given the injury issues they've had to deal with. I'd still like to have a better pass rush, but it'll come in due time.
On the offensive side of the ball the improvement reached it's peak around the mid-season point. Since then, they've done nothing to show any signs of improvement. Matter of fact, at times they've looked worse than last year. Injuries have been an issue, sure, but every other team in the NFL compensates for thier losses. We'll eventually get better, but offensively we have a long ways to go.
I agree that their offensive peak was around midseason as well. The defense has improved on a weekly basis, even though it may not show it in the "W" column. At this stage, our D would have to almost have a shut out for us to win a game. I'm hoping that next season we can have two decent sides of the team playing in the same games and have an 8-8 season. That will give us something to build on in the coming years, as long as we don't take a step backwards like we did in the 05' season.
Old 12-19-2006   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
I agree that their offensive peak was around midseason as well. The defense has improved on a weekly basis, even though it may not show it in the "W" column. At this stage, our D would have to almost have a shut out for us to win a game. I'm hoping that next season we can have two decent sides of the team playing in the same games and have an 8-8 season. That will give us something to build on in the coming years, as long as we don't take a step backwards like we did in the 05' season.
IMO, we're only about 3-4 players from being that good on defense.

You and me both. We'll get better. I have alot of faith in Kubiak to get it done.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read