Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-18-2006   #1
OrangeCountyTexansFan
Veteran

Default Draft or Free Agency?

Which do you think would serve us better should we choose to pursue a new QB? Pick up a rookie or look around the league? Thoughts?
Old 12-18-2006   #2
Rightnow
Veteran

Default Re: Draft or Free Agency?

If Carr is gone, and that is a big if, we should get a vet through free agency. There just isn't anyone this year coming out that is that fantastic. IMO
Old 12-18-2006   #3
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

JaMarcus Russell and Brian Brohm although neither has declared for the draft yet. IMO they are both fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #4
everardo7206
Rookie

Location: RGV (if you don't know, thats WAAY deep south texas)

carr has been given sufficient time.. i dont want to consider him a bust, but well, he hasn;t taken the team to winning records, and this season, the oline has had injuries..... i would like to see someone else at qb.. how bout houston picks up my bucs and soon-to-be FA chris simms?
everardo7206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Vet. The future of our organization is numbah five. We need a stopgap until he picks up the offense.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #6
ryansisgod
Veteran

pick up a vet and groom a rookie qb while the vet does his thing.
ryansisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #7
OrangeCountyTexansFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansisgod View Post
But could we really get that lucky? I think we need to focus on a veteran myself, and pick up a solid RB in the draft. Just my two cents.
Old 12-18-2006   #8
ryansisgod
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyTexansFan View Post
But could we really get that lucky? I think we need to focus on a veteran myself, and pick up a solid RB in the draft. Just my two cents.
maybe. we dont necessarily need ot get a big name rookie qb, and let kubiak do what he was brought here to do. turn an average qb into a pro bowler. what abt stanton? what round is he projected in?
Old 12-18-2006   #9
Toro
Veteran

Quote:
maybe. we dont necessarily need ot get a big name rookie qb, and let kubiak do what he was brought here to do. turn an average qb into a pro bowler. what abt stanton? what round is he projected in?
Second.

He's inconsistent as hell and handles pressure worse than Carr.

When it comes to the topic at hand, projecting who's available on both sides, there's some respectable QBs in the draft, with Brohm and Russell both expected to declare. You add Quinn and Smith to that mix, and you've got four guys who are first round talent.

Looking at who's available in the QB class of free agents/trade possibilities, you've got Leftwich (who can't seem to remain healthy to save his life) and Schaub (Atlanta's asking for a first rounder for him).

I say draft a QB, see what Arizona wants for Kurt Warner (the asking price shouldn't be anything higher than a 6th) and go that route.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

We need both imo.

We need a Vet to play, and a rookie to groom.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Draft. Wanna stay at the bottom of the division, send picks to another club for the QB vet. fix the lines....pick up a prospect for qB, bring in a free free agent QB. That's the frst rung on the ladder to the SB. We havn't done it in five years.
Five years of poor tallent desidsions have finally come home to roost.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #12
ryansisgod
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Second.

He's inconsistent as hell and handles pressure worse than Carr.

When it comes to the topic at hand, projecting who's available on both sides, there's some respectable QBs in the draft, with Brohm and Russell both expected to declare. You add Quinn and Smith to that mix, and you've got four guys who are first round talent.

Looking at who's available in the QB class of free agents/trade possibilities, you've got Leftwich (who can't seem to remain healthy to save his life) and Schaub (Atlanta's asking for a first rounder for him).

I say draft a QB, see what Arizona wants for Kurt Warner (the asking price shouldn't be anything higher than a 6th) and go that route.
warners to old and brittle and will probably get injured with the amount of hits he'll suffer here, we need someone mobile and strong enough to take one from the likes of freeney, mathis and co. maybe someone like simms or huard.
Old 12-19-2006   #13
Toro
Veteran

Quote:
warners to old and brittle and will probably get injured with the amount of hits he'll suffer here, we need someone mobile and strong enough to take one from the likes of freeney, mathis and co. maybe someone like simms or huard.
I'm not really all that sold on Huard to be honest. He's never really shown me ability to start for extended periods of time, and is better suited to be a backup.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #14
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightnow View Post
If Carr is gone, and that is a big if, we should get a vet through free agency. There just isn't anyone this year coming out that is that fantastic. IMO
Agreed. A veteran now would fill the bill. There are too many other positions the team needs to target in the draft.

I would like to point out now, and I have yet to see the suggestion, there is a senior QB coming out of UTEP this year named Jordan Palmer.
6' 5", 235 lbs. Oh yeah, his brother plays a little pro football too.
I know that doesn't mean a thing, but this guy would certainly be worth taking a look at.
Old 12-19-2006   #15
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Sage a good enough vet to hold the fort? Must be as everyone was calling for him.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 96327 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr isn't going anywhere.
Old 12-19-2006   #17
mamoo
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 mamoo is on the Pro-Bowl ballotmamoo is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

My guess is Sage is the man next year while they pick up a qb after the first round.
mamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #18
OrangeCountyTexansFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Carr isn't going anywhere.
I used to think that too. But now I think he really needs to move on. He is a great guy, but he isn't playing smart ball when he does get the so-so protection that our line provides.
The quote that David will be here next year is probably just to qwell having to deal with media inquiries. I doubt it is true, unless the front office are morons. Oh, wait...
Old 12-19-2006   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 96327 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyTexansFan View Post
I used to think that too. But now I think he really needs to move on. He is a great guy, but he isn't playing smart ball when he does get the so-so protection that our line provides.
The quote that David will be here next year is probably just to qwell having to deal with media inquiries. I doubt it is true, unless the front office are morons. Oh, wait...
I want him out of here as well, but what we all want isn't going to happen. He'll be here next year.
Old 12-19-2006   #20
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:

Yep, exactly. That vet coming from free agency or Sage Rosenfels, and the rookie being Kevin Kolb possibly.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read