Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-18-2006   #1
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bubba's offseason

Free Agency
FS Ken Hamlin 6'2 209lbs, age 25
He is the FS weve been looking for.

DT Terdell Sands 6'7 335lbs, age 27
He is a Ginormous DT. IMO the Texans severly need a DT like him to take double teams away from M Williams and to keep blockers from getting to the second level aka Demeco Ryans.

A few others for depth.

Draft

Im trading our first round (5th) pick back about the tenth pick and picking up a second rounder. Are picks are 9th, 36,42,68,100,132,164,196

Round 1 JaMarcus Russell QB 6'6 260lbs QB with lazer rocket arm. I read somewhere that the LSU coaching says he can throw the ball the length of the field. If true thats simply amazing.

Round 2a Daymeion Hughes CB 6'0 188lbs A CB that can actually catch the ball when it hits him in the hands.

Round 2b Rufus Alexander OLB 6'1 230lbs Energetic, Nasty, Good Leadership three things this team seriously needs.

Round 3 Benn Grubs G 6'3 318lbs Nasty lineman who finishes his blocks

Round 4 Doug Datish C 6'5 295lbs has played left tackle, left guard, right guard and center. Our future C

Round 5 Paul Soliai DT 6'4 334lbs you can never have enough Ginormous DT's. Seriously though we need depth at DT.

Round 6 Daniel Sepulveda P Baylor 6'3 230lbs He can kick the ball far. REALLY FAR.

Round 7 C.J. Ah You DE 6'4 272lbs How could you pass on a guy with that name.

Comments please

Oh by the way go Bengals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.

Last edited by Bubbajwp; 12-18-2006 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spacing
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #2
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35118 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bubba's offseason

I would like Quinn here, but the more i see of jamarcus russell the more the more i like....cant wait for the sugarbowl!!
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

We need a running back too.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #4
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

We cant fix everthing in one year and there is a bunch of good RB coming out of collage in the next few years.

Also RB's take less time to develope than most other positions.

Quote:
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Old 12-18-2006   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the way you think this would be a perfectly acceptable offseason to me just take Dwayne Wright RB in the 3rd rd. & push the rest of your picks back one round. Any idea what the free agents contracts are gonna cost? do the Texans have the cap room or would they have to make some cuts thus adding more dead cap money?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Good thing your QB is built like a freight train. No OLT on your list, you've already damned the kid. We got gaurds and centers stracked like a cord of wood by the back door. That ain't the problem. Rest of it looks OK. Like the move down for sure. Second round picks and the Punter is solid. No gripes. You're putting a lot of chips on spencers leg.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

If you can get Hughes in the 2nd round, then that would be a badass draft, and a great offseason.

I would probably just take AP and be done with it.

FYI, here is where you might have read that.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle...&Q_SEASON=2006

"One of the most physically gifted quarterbacks to ever wear an LSU uniform ... Can throw the football the length of the field ... Has perhaps the strongest arm in college football ... Continues to evolve
as a leader on the offensive side of the football for the Tigers ..."
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2006   #8
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I like the way you think this would be a perfectly acceptable offseason to me just take Dwayne Wright RB in the 3rd rd. & push the rest of your picks back one round. Any idea what the free agents contracts are gonna cost? do the Texans have the cap room or would they have to make some cuts thus adding more dead cap money?
I actually thought about that for awhile

Quote:
Old 12-19-2006   #9
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Good thing your QB is built like a freight train. No OLT on your list, you've already damned the kid. We got gaurds and centers stracked like a cord of wood by the back door. That ain't the problem. Rest of it looks OK. Like the move down for sure. Second round picks and the Punter is solid. No gripes. You're putting a lot of chips on spencers leg.
I actually thought about picking T Ryan Harris in the third also.

Quote:
Old 12-19-2006   #10
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
Free Agency

He is a Ginormous DT. IMO the Texans severly need a DT like him to take double teams away from M Williams and to keep blockers from getting to the second level aka Demeco Ryans.

A few others for depth.

Draft

Im trading our first round (5th) pick back about the tenth pick and picking up a second rounder. Are picks are 9th, 36,42,68,100,132,164,196

Round 1 JaMarcus Russell QB 6'6 260lbs QB with lazer rocket arm. I read somewhere that the LSU coaching says he can throw the ball the length of the field. If true thats simply amazing.

Round 2a Daymeion Hughes CB 6'0 188lbs A CB that can actually catch the ball when it hits him in the hands.

Round 2b Rufus Alexander OLB 6'1 230lbs Energetic, Nasty, Good Leadership three things this team seriously needs.

Round 3 Benn Grubs G 6'3 318lbs Nasty lineman who finishes his blocks

Round 4 Doug Datish C 6'5 295lbs has played left tackle, left guard, right guard and center. Our future C

Round 5 Paul Soliai DT 6'4 334lbs you can never have enough Ginormous DT's. Seriously though we need depth at DT.

Round 6 Daniel Sepulveda P Baylor 6'3 230lbs He can kick the ball far. REALLY FAR.

Round 7 C.J. Ah You DE 6'4 272lbs How could you pass on a guy with that name.

Comments please

If we get a corner in high rounds or Nate Clemons, we can pass on safety. You didn't give any stats on Ken Hamlin but he meets size/age. What will he cost?

We already have Thomas Johnson 6'2" 300; Anthony Maddox 6'1" 300lbs; Anthony Weaver 6'3" 285; Travis Johnson 6'3" 310; Alfred Malone DT/DE 6'5" 308; Seth Payne 6'4" 305 and that doesn't count Mario at 6'7" DE. We have plenty of big boys. I'd rather not spend too much in F/A for this position but I could see one drafted in 4th or 5th.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #11
jjcorvallis
Rookie

uhhh.... So you will take a offensive lineman at 3rd round? Do you think that will solve our offensive line problem? And don't expect our front office to draft a QB at first round. They love David Carr.
jjcorvallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #12
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Keeping in mind that David might be back next year, here is a senario.

Round:

1: Sam Baker, OT, USC - Traded down to the 10th pick. This allows me to get a 2nd round pick, and grab our OLB later.
1: Michael Griffin, S, Texas - Starts day one, and gives us that big play safety we need. Used our 3rd round pick to dip back into the first round for this guy.
2: Rufus Alexander, OLB, Oklahoma - At 6'1" 230, he doesnt have the super size, but hey, Demeco isnt a giant either.
3: Traded. - Traded to get Griffin.
4: CB
5: Justin Vincent, RB, LSU - Runs big, in big games. Also catches passes out of the backfield well.
6: OG
7: DT
Old 12-19-2006   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Keeping in mind that David might be back next year, here is a senario.

Round:

1: Sam Baker, OT, USC - Traded down to the 10th pick. This allows me to get a 2nd round pick, and grab our OLB later.
1: Michael Griffin, S, Texas - Starts day one, and gives us that big play safety we need. Used our 3rd round pick to dip back into the first round for this guy.
2: Rufus Alexander, OLB, Oklahoma - At 6'1" 230, he doesnt have the super size, but hey, Demeco isnt a giant either.
3: Traded. - Traded to get Griffin.
4: CB
5: Justin Vincent, RB, LSU - Runs big, in big games. Also catches passes out of the backfield well.
6: OG
7: DT
staying @ USC his senior year-

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #14
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
staying @ USC his senior year-
Son of a B.
Old 12-19-2006   #15
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcorvallis View Post
uhhh.... So you will take a offensive lineman at 3rd round? Do you think that will solve our offensive line problem? And don't expect our front office to draft a QB at first round. They love David Carr.
Well we would be getting C spencer and M Flanagan back. I think Benn Grubbs would be the best G on our team. Doug Datish could possibly take Flanagans starting spot by the end of the season.

LT C Spencer
LG C Pitts
C M Flanagan / D Datish
RG B Grubbs
RT E Winston

Very young oline with better talent than any oline we have had.

Not to mention our best offensive lineman came out of the third round.

Quote:

Last edited by Bubbajwp; 12-19-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-19-2006   #16
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Well we would be getting C spencer and M Flanagan back. I think Benn Grubbs would be the best G on our team. Doug Datish could possibly take Flanagans starting spot by the end of the season.

LT C Spencer
LG C Pitts
C M Flanagan / D Datish
RG B Grubbs
RT E Winston

Very young oline with better talent than any oline we have had.
Kyle Young is a much better OC but he didn't have a good season this year, so we do have chance with him in letter rounds. Doug Datish didn't impress me that much when I watched. I do agree with Ben Grubb, he is absolute beast and he will be the best Guard on our team.

I would like to see us end up with one of these guys in round 1 - AD, Thomas. If we are to trade down then Jamarcus Russel. He is not fully ready to take over the QB spot since he makes allot of stupid mistakes but he does have talent.

QB class this year is weak and most of the top echelon QB has weak arm strength except Russel.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #17
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbspi View Post
Kyle Young is a much better OC but he didn't have a good season this year, so we do have chance with him in letter rounds. Doug Datish didn't impress me that much when I watched. I do agree with Ben Grubb, he is absolute beast and he will be the best Guard on our team.

I would like to see us end up with one of these guys in round 1 - AD, Thomas. If we are to trade down then Jamarcus Russel. He is not fully ready to take over the QB spot since he makes allot of stupid mistakes but he does have talent.
I think Kyle Young will already be off the board by the time our 4th round pick comes around.

Thomas will be long gone by the time we pick and AD scares me with his injury history. Even though his injuries are not reocurring.

Quote:
Old 12-19-2006   #18
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
If we get a corner in high rounds or Nate Clemons, we can pass on safety. You didn't give any stats on Ken Hamlin but he meets size/age. What will he cost?

We already have Thomas Johnson 6'2" 300; Anthony Maddox 6'1" 300lbs; Anthony Weaver 6'3" 285; Travis Johnson 6'3" 310; Alfred Malone DT/DE 6'5" 308; Seth Payne 6'4" 305 and that doesn't count Mario at 6'7" DE. We have plenty of big boys. I'd rather not spend too much in F/A for this position but I could see one drafted in 4th or 5th.
I think the Texans should and will cut Seth Payne. He is old and gets injured to much. If we do cut him Im pretty sure we would save about 3.5 million. MW and Anthony Weaver are both DE they can play DT. That leaves Thomas Johnson, Anthony Maddox, Travis Johnson, and Alfred Malone. That is not a very impresive list. Thomas Johnson and Alfred Malone are also both FA.

Quote:
Old 12-19-2006   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Free Agency

A few others for depth.

Draft

Round 1 JaMarcus Russell QB 6'6 260lbs QB with lazer rocket arm. I read somewhere that the LSU coaching says he can throw the ball the length of the field. If true thats simply amazing. He is one of the most physically gifted QB's in a long time and his intelligence is very underrated. I think overconfidence in his rocket arm is what hurts him more than anything. I would have liked to see him tuck and run a bit more, but I've seen him do it with good success in the past. I really like how he stands tall in the pocket and doesn't drift at all. I like his stance and his wrist action when he releases the ball. The top QB from this draft in about 2 years. Not ready to start now. Sage or Carr or another vet will have to play for a year or so while he develops more.

Round 2a Daymeion Hughes CB 6'0 188lbs A CB that can actually catch the ball when it hits him in the hands. Hughes is the most instinctive CB in the draft. He has produced consistantly for 2 years against good competition. He doesn't have top speed or great size, but he makes plays regardless. I like him, especially with how the rest of our draft pans out here.

Round 2b Rufus Alexander OLB 6'1 230lbs Energetic, Nasty, Good Leadership three things this team seriously needs. Rufus is both overrated and underrated. He is underrated by the national media, but overrated by almost everyone else. He plays very instinctfully and can get to the ball in the flats. He shows good ability to avoid blocks and fill the holes. A very good LB who I think would make that group quite scary.

Round 3 Benn Grubs G 6'3 318lbs Nasty lineman who finishes his blocks This is my second favorite pick. I really doubt he last this long, but good Lord, if he does we better take him and waste no time getting to that podium. Grubs is the best OG in the draft IMO, yes, better than Blaylock. I think Grubs plays much meaner and finishes ALL of his blocks with authority. He is very good in pass protection as well and would instantly be our best OG and would start over everyone with only Pitts honestly being able to push him...maybe.

Round 4 Doug Datish C 6'5 295lbs has played left tackle, left guard, right guard and center. Our future C This is the position I am least settled on as far as prospects go. Kyle Young is a better OC, but he is HUGE and his work ethic has already been questioned. He takes plays off and doesn't always finish his blocks like he is capable of doing. Kailh is a very good ZBS center prospect. He is undersized a bit, but gets to the next level with ease. When I call him "undersized", I'm talking like 280-285. He's no Hodgen by any means, and actually shows potential to be dominate in the run game. He has blocked for some of the absolute best college skill players in the past decade. IMO, he helped make them. I will be fine with any of the guys at this spot, and I am glad we are continuing to address our OLine.

Round 5 Paul Soliai DT 6'4 334lbs you can never have enough Ginormous DT's. Seriously though we need depth at DT. I don't really think we need to go DT after signing Sands in FA like you suggest. I wouldn't be overly upset with the pick, and granted, I'm not terribly familiar with the guy at this point, but I would much rather see us take a RB here. Wright, Wolfe, Darby.

Round 6 Daniel Sepulveda P Baylor 6'3 230lbs He can kick the ball far. REALLY FAR. I like the guy, just don't know if he warrents a pick. I think a Mason Crosby would be a better pick as I don't see Sepulveda being drafted. Again, I wouldn't knitpick too much after that first day.

Round 7 C.J. Ah You DE 6'4 272lbs How could you pass on a guy with that name. I like it. I think the most likely guys to sucede on Sundays from this round are going to be the hogs. We can never have enough and I would be fine with this guy or any other linemen for solid depth.

Comments please

My opinions are in bolded red.

I would actually be really happy with this draft. I really want 1st round OLine, but Russell and two interior OLmen would make me quite happy. As long as we dont draft Russell to start right away, I see this as being an even better draft than last years.
Old 12-19-2006   #20
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
My opinions are in bolded red.

I would actually be really happy with this draft. I really want 1st round OLine, but Russell and two interior OLmen would make me quite happy. As long as we dont draft Russell to start right away, I see this as being an even better draft than last years.
My favorite player in this draft is Joe Thomas by far. but we dont stand a chance at getting him unless we trade up. That aint happnen.

Quote:

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read