Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-18-2006   #1
htownfoozball
Veteran

Default Trade down

The board is pretty much split on a multitude of players, but I don't think everyone is looking at the big picture. Just getting 1 player, whether it be AP, Quinn, or Landry, won't make us that much better. There are too many holes, and I think our best bet is to trade down from the 4-6 area to around pick #12 and acquire another 2nd round pick.

The draft is heavy with DB's, and the weakest position is at RB and QB (unless Brohm and Russell declare). We could take either Marshawn Lynch or Brian Brohm, the 2 best available offensive players at #12.

With the 2nd rounders, we would take the best available DB and OL. Brandon Meriweather comes with questions about his character, but there is no denying his talent. Aaron Ross is another option who offers better size and speed over Faggins. He has shown the ability to cover and make big plays. We could take either OT or OG in the 2nd. The best OL available PERIOD.

3rd rounder could be focused on OLB or DT. We lack another playmaker at both positions, and with a weak OLB class, it'd be best to take the best available DT. Brandon Mebane would be great opposite Mario Williams as a pass rush threat to draw away double teams from Mario. He is a bit undersized, but as long as he can get Mario 1 on 1 against an OT, that would be great.

I think trading down gives us the best value for our pick and would help our team much more than taking a premier guy like Peterson or Quinn. Lynch is no slouch either at RB, and even at #12, Landry might be available.
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trade down

I don't have any problem with trading down if the player the Texans would want is already off the board, who that will be is yet to be determined (last year it went down to the day before the draft before we knew). Also until the underclassman deadline passes then we will not know the whole picture, followed by free agency where you know the Texans will attempt to address needs.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #3
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu

YES..

For the betterment of the team and franchise.

Atleast Casserly won't be involved.
Old 12-19-2006   #4
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

This team has a lot of needs, but I would prefer we stay put and add a top-notch player in a need position (OT, RB, QB, CB, FS, SLB). I'd prefer to go offense, but this team seems hellbent on building a defense first.
Old 12-19-2006   #5
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Honestly after watching tape on some of the players I think we are best served if we end up in the 5-8 range (performance vs pay). As long as Cleveland is not ahead of us we have a great possibility of getting AP. He would improve our overall offense by giving us a real running back, not a utility player like R.Bush is. AP has the ability to gain another 5-10lbs maybe more and not lose any speed. He runs similar to Tomlinson and has all the tools that could make him as good as C. Portis in our system. Other than AP, Leon Hall is a stud, not worth a top 5 pick, but he is right now the class of the Corners. If AP is off the board at our pick then I definately look to trade down unless I think I will miss on Leon Hall. Now what would throw a wrench in my thought would be one thing. If by some strange act of craziness AP is gone and CJ is sitting there I would likely pass on Hall for a freak WR like that. It would greatly piss E. Moulds off, but I can imagine the three wide sets.
Old 12-19-2006   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Trading down is always easier said then done, you have to have a partner who has either palyers or picks you feel like will enable us to get players you still feel are worth the same value as those you could have gotten if you had stayed at your original pick.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #7
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

I think we would end up like 2006 draft with no one willing to trade. I take thomas if avail, if not, take AP as IMO one will be there. In 2nd, I'd go for best LT if we didn't get Thomas. If Thomas in 1st, I'd go best CB in 2nd. In 3rd, Kolb as most seem to think he won't be at 4th where I slotted him earlier. Kolb would take some heat off McNair for not taking VY. In 4th best DT or LB. in 5th reverse. I'd trade 6 & 7 for picks following year. If we are convinced we will go hard after Nate Clemmons, he'd start and CB in second would add depth. Faggins is a nickle cb. If Carr is to be gone, I'd try to trade Carr and next season's 1st and third to Oakland this off season for Raiders 1st in 2008 (Colt McCoy?). Quinn, Troy Smith and LSU QB should be selected in first round this draft and take 3 more teams out of hunt for QB in 08. Then I'd pray hard that McCOy comes out.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2006   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
I think we would end up like 2006 draft with no one willing to trade. I take thomas if avail, if not, take AP as IMO one will be there. In 2nd, I'd go for best LT if we didn't get Thomas. If Thomas in 1st, I'd go best CB in 2nd. In 3rd, Kolb as most seem to think he won't be at 4th where I slotted him earlier. Kolb would take some heat off McNair for not taking VY. In 4th best DT or LB. in 5th reverse. I'd trade 6 & 7 for picks following year. If we are convinced we will go hard after Nate Clemmons, he'd start and CB in second would add depth. Faggins is a nickle cb. If Carr is to be gone, I'd try to trade Carr and next season's 1st and third to Oakland this off season for Raiders 1st in 2008 (Colt McCoy?). Quinn, Troy Smith and LSU QB should be selected in first round this draft and take 3 more teams out of hunt for QB in 08. Then I'd pray hard that McCOy comes out.
so let me get this straight, you want to trade David Carr to Oakland for their #1 this year (2007) giving them the Texans 2008 #1 draft pick & 3rd rd. pick? this makes the Phillip Buchanon trade pale in comparison :brickwall

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 12-19-2006 at 04:24 PM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
woah there partner. I don't mind trading Carr off and playing a vet next year, but I'm not sending two first day picks for someone to take a former #1 overall and a 5 year NFL starter with top physical tools.
Old 12-19-2006   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfoozball View Post
The board is pretty much split on a multitude of players, but I don't think everyone is looking at the big picture. Just getting 1 player, whether it be AP, Quinn, or Landry, won't make us that much better. There are too many holes, and I think our best bet is to trade down from the 4-6 area to around pick #12 and acquire another 2nd round pick.

The draft is heavy with DB's, and the weakest position is at RB and QB (unless Brohm and Russell declare). We could take either Marshawn Lynch or Brian Brohm, the 2 best available offensive players at #12.

With the 2nd rounders, we would take the best available DB and OL. Brandon Meriweather comes with questions about his character, but there is no denying his talent. Aaron Ross is another option who offers better size and speed over Faggins. He has shown the ability to cover and make big plays. We could take either OT or OG in the 2nd. The best OL available PERIOD.

3rd rounder could be focused on OLB or DT. We lack another playmaker at both positions, and with a weak OLB class, it'd be best to take the best available DT. Brandon Mebane would be great opposite Mario Williams as a pass rush threat to draw away double teams from Mario. He is a bit undersized, but as long as he can get Mario 1 on 1 against an OT, that would be great.

I think trading down gives us the best value for our pick and would help our team much more than taking a premier guy like Peterson or Quinn. Lynch is no slouch either at RB, and even at #12, Landry might be available.
Actually getting a FS with the talent of a Reggie Nelson or a LaRon Landry would make us alot better on defense. The absence of good safety play from the Texans has made you forget how important it is for a defense to play well consistantly.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

These are the only guys I fell the Texans should be considering as of right now:

Russell
Thomas
Gaither
Cason
Nelson
Landry
Revis
Branch

I do not feel that we should be looking at anyone else right now.
Old 12-19-2006   #12
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
These are the only guys I fell the Texans should be considering as of right now:

Russell
Thomas
Gaither
Cason
Nelson
Landry
Revis
Branch

I do not feel that we should be looking at anyone else right now.
Honestly I believe we should be looking at everyone. There is still more to learn about the players that still have games to play and workouts to hold.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets really go out there ... we pick #4 and Brady, Thomas , AP, are gone . New England calls and says we'll give you both our # 1 picks plus our 3rd round pick for the right to Calvin Johnson ... do you take it ?
Old 12-19-2006   #14
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

THe defense is only a couple of players from being good. I look for Kubiak & Smith to stay the course and improve the defense. Landry looks like a solid #1 pick and a OLB or CB is stacking up as a good 2nd pick.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #15
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Lets really go out there ... we pick #4 and Brady, Thomas , AP, are gone . New England calls and says we'll give you both our # 1 picks plus our 3rd round pick for the right to Calvin Johnson ... do you take it ?
I really dont think that C Johnson is coming out but if he does he is going top 3. I kinda think that the Pats are going to trade up for D Jarrett. They wouldnt have to give up as much to get him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #16
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The raiders have a outstanding defense. With a few FA additions to there offense they wont have the first pick in next years draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yes. I think that two later first rounders and an extra 3rd rounder allow us and actually force us to draft what we need rather than the flash player at the top. I think if we did this, we could really look at a lot more options that will help our team more.
Old 12-19-2006   #18
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He is the closest thing to a sure thing out there and most likely the only offensive player I would take ahead of the defense.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No but if they give me some move up ammo for the '08 draft and a shot at McFaddin or Rice...I'd have to think about it. Their low two ones plus their '08 and a third in '07...yeah I'd be happy to accomodate the wolf.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
I really dont think that C Johnson is coming out but if he does he is going top 3. I kinda think that the Pats are going to trade up for D Jarrett. They wouldnt have to give up as much to get him.
So who is the QB waiting in the wings at Geogia Tech. and what makes him worth Calvin missing out on a ten million dollar pay day ? Inquiring minds want to know. Mom may want the sheep skin. But ten mill sends a lot of family members to college for a very, very, very long time. If he does go back I hope they get the guy some heavy duty insurance.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read