Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-18-2006   #1
tacoman_j
Veteran

Default Chris Simms

What about Chris Simms in Houston. He's going to be a free agent this winter, and he has shown some flashes of being a decent NFL QB.
tacoman_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #2
Sportsfan
All Pro

Default Re: Chris Simms

I like him and wouldn't be opposed to him starting for us next year.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #3
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

I wouldnt touch him. Ever since his UT days, he seemed to be the good QB that would always make stupid mistakes (holding the ball like a loaf of bread while running). I question if he'd be sucessful at all in Houston, I dont think he could take the hits.
Old 12-18-2006   #4
Heywood
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman_j View Post
What about Chris Simms in Houston. He's going to be a free agent this winter, and he has shown some flashes of being a decent NFL QB.
those were very brief flashes.

i think plummer is better than simms.
Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #5
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

You think the fans have turned on David Carr? Chris Simms would be MUCH WORSE!
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #6
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

If we took Simms over Carr someone would have some spleenin to do.
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #7
TreWardTxn
Veteran

Chris Simms??!! He's a slower version of David Carr. They are practically the same, right down to how they were both handed their starting positions, Simms in college and Carr in the pros. I will say this though; I trust Carr to throw the little dink and dump passes we do in this offense before Simms, who can't throw an out route without an INT...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2006   #8
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

Simms and Carr are the same? Simms took a team to a division championship in his first (and only, really) year as a starter... when has Carr done remotely close to that? There's a reason why NFL types considered Simms a franchise QB this offseason, and why Tampa is still trying to bring him back... he's had a lot more than "brief flashes." Also, he can't take the hits? This is the same guy who played through a badly dislocated finger on his throwing hand to lead his team to a victory at Nebraska in college... the same guy who played 3/4 of a game this year with a ruptured spleen. I really, really hope you're not calling out his toughness.

As for making stupid mistakes, he had five fourth quarter comeback wins in 10 starts last year, and would've had one in the playoffs if not for a point blank drop by Edell Shepherd in the end zone.

All that said... I don't think I want him here. His biggest strength, by far, is that he throws down the field very well. His biggest weakness, by far, is that he has a lot of balls tipped at the line - moreso than any other NFL QB. Unless we somehow brought in a great line, his strength will be minimized and his weakness (batted balls) will become an even bigger problem. He's not the best fit for the system right now, but he's going to be a good QB for somebody.
DomDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #9
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Simms makes bad decisions, and he makes them slow.
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #10
NJTexanFan
Rookie

Chris Simms is not a guy that could lead us to a superbowl i think he's even worse than Carr and just as inconsistant
NJTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Simms is better than Carr. Of that there is no question but he is coming off a serious internal injury and went to Univ of Texas so dont hold your breath about him coming. Plus, I think due to the fact that he is highly coveted his pricetag will be prohibitively high. I don't want Simms....Sage and a prospect...
Old 12-18-2006   #12
Trenches
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lod01 View Post
The one thing Carr has is that he can absorb self inflicted beatings weekly.
maybe we could sell Carr's contract to the UFC. D Carr vs Tim Silvia?
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #13
Texans>Colts
Veteran

The Bucs can still re-sign him. They probably will too. Gradkowski isn't the future for them obviously and Gruden wants to see him back. they have been making him offers
Old 12-18-2006   #14
Boxscore
All Pro

I am still PO'ed that Mack Brown gave Major Applewhite's job to Chrissy Simms. That was the most blatently obvious example of politics in sports that I have ever seen!
Old 12-18-2006   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

No!The guys has the tools but is prone to mental lapses and horrible mistakes. He seems like he mentally can get rattled and is a little soft.....yeah, we already have that. He is David Carr's younger version except he has played in a playoff game.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #16
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

If you like games like David Garrard had this week, then Chris Simms is your man.
Old 12-18-2006   #17
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxscore View Post
I am still PO'ed that Mack Brown gave Major Applewhite's job to Chrissy Simms. That was the most blatently obvious example of politics in sports that I have ever seen!
I wonder how many posters know that Applewhite holds the UT record for--among other things--passing yds and tds...and that's after sitting out a year and a half so Simms could start. No question, worse decision Brown ever made--2nd worse was not hiring Major as a position coach.

...guess everyone knows that Applewhite is the OC at Rice, you know-that 'academic' superior school across town that is going to it first bowl game in 41 yrs--Major's offense is the main reason why...JMO,but he won't last long at Rice before some 'big' school picks him up...

Chris Simms as our QB--no thanks....
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #18
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

No thanks......I don't want Simms on this team. He was hated more when he was at UT, than David Carr is hated in Houston. I don't think Tampa will let him get away either.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #19
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

And clearly, the quality a player is as a sophomore and junior in college under questionable coaching and leadership is the same as it will be for the remainder of time.

Signed,
Brian Griese (starter) and Tom Brady (backup)

As for Chrissy Simms, seriously. Are you 2 years old?
DomDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #20
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

From Peter King's "Monday Morning QB" today:

"8. I think if I'm Chris Simms, and I'm a free-agent come Jan. 1, and I'm surveying the field for my 2007 options, I'm doing a lot of research on Houston. Gary Kubiak's not going to stand for play like he's getting out of Carr right now, even if they did exercise the clause in his contract last off-season that paid him a $9-million bonus. Carr can't do anything right right now."

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read