Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-18-2006   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chrons Justice suggests Kubiak look at mirror for blame to yesterdays disastor

Yet it was Kubiak, not Casserly, who botched last spring's first-round draft choice. It was Kubiak who shaped this roster. It was Kubiak who didn't have his team ready to play Sunday.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/4409111.html
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #2
brewhaus
All Pro

Default Re: Chrons Justice suggests Kubiak look at mirror for blame to yesterdays disastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Yet it was Kubiak, not Casserly, who botched last spring's first-round draft choice. It was Kubiak who shaped this roster. It was Kubiak who didn't have his team ready to play Sunday.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/4409111.html
Kubiak probably wants this season to be over with as badly as anyone else.
Old 12-18-2006   #3
Sportsfan
All Pro

Default Re: Chrons Justice suggests Kubiak look at mirror for blame to yesterdays disastor

Hey, its the man's first season as a head coach, the boss, the main decision-maker. Remember that.
I know NO ONE wants to hear this including myself, but all of this is gonna take a little time people.
This year was a pile of horse dung, next year i think we'll see the light at the end of the tunnel, and the year after i'm thinking playoffs even if its a wild card berth.
Just stick w/your Texans and it'll pay off. All these bandwagon jumpers around here- I can't wait to see what they do when this team is a force to be reckoned with. Wait i know what they'll do, they'll come crawling back trying to hide their faces.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

The head coach bears some responsibility. Outstanding! There are too many free rides around the Texans. Sure he's a rookie, but he was hired to make the team better, not go through a training period.

Every member of the organization needs to look at themselves and determine how to make the their part of the team a little better,
Old 12-18-2006   #5
ToroRojo
Rookie

I think the issue here really is the beleaguered fan base and an exhaustion of patience. We all understood the reality of being an expansion franchise and the obstacles that presented. Unfortunately, we are in the first year of a regime change that is trying to reverse the poor decisions of a franchise over 4 years. I love Vince, and I think he would have been a great start, but the Texans, and I am sure Kubes can attest, we need talent in a myriad of positions. This past draft was an important beginning. I hope we trade down and try to grab an OL like Blalock and then a CB or S. Regardless, the question remains patience and progress. I think finishing this season will be another welcome step.

Good article, btw.
ToroRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #6
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Get to the point, nunusguy. You know this is his first year as the head coach, and you know he's not going anywhere. Are you saying that everything was happy dory before he got here? This was a train wreck that he took over, a team that went 2-14 last year, if I recall.

Let's all play the "blame the coach" game, and take the easy way out. Just to make us all feel better.

Geeeez.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Get to the point, nunusguy. You know this is his first year as the head coach, and you know he's not going anywhere. Are you saying that everything was happy dory before he got here? This was a train wreck that he took over, a team that went 2-14 last year, if I recall.
Let's all play the "blame the coach" game, and take the easy way out. Just to make us all feel better.
Geeeez.
Kubiak is not a rookie when it comes to observing and evaluating NFL personnel. He's been in the league for what 10, 15, 20 years ?
And yet he blew what was clearly the biggest pick in the franchises history.
For openers, Mario Williams is not and does not have the potential to be an elite NFL edge rusher. He is a tweener DLineman who may very well ultimately end up playing on the inside instead of the edge.There are probably 3 or 4 rookies who are better pass rushers. If you saw Tambi Hall last night in the Chiefs-Chargers game, you know what I'm talking about.
And Kubiak didn't have the philosopical flexibility (I'm being nice here), to see the contributiuons that a Reggie Bush would made to this offense. We all
know that Denver rarely has used a high pick on a back, and apparently Kubiak couldn't see beyond that mind-set.
And I won't belabor the point any longer about his evaluation of David Carr &
Vince Young.
I'm not talking about his ability to manage an NFL team where he surely is a rookie. But he's not supposed to be a rookie regarding his judgement about football players.
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2006   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Once again, Justice is on top of his game...Way to break a story.....

Considering that Kubiak pointed the finger at himself in every post game interview that he gave yesterday...
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #9
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not talking about his ability to manage an NFL team where he surely is a rookie. But he's not supposed to be a rookie regarding his judgement about football players.
He did pretty good with choices 2 thru 7 in this draft.

And I haven't seen anything other than rumor and innuendo that Kubiak was solely behind that 1st pick. If you're going to grade him on that pick, that's unreasonable.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I refuse to blame Kubiak for anything. I mean, look what he has to work with. After reading the post-game quotes. This one from our infamous QB stuck with me. To me the part in bold is telling me Kubiak doesn't trust the offense with a large portion of the playbook. Meaning Carr and the Oline both are incapable.

Quote:
(on the frustration of losing) “This is hard because it’s getting past old for me. To get going on doing this and coming up here and just getting beat the way we got beat today, it’s very frustrating, and even more frustrating because I let myself get out of my game plan, which was to manage the football game. The defense was playing great, and we were trying to run the ball a little bit. And then once they got up two or three scores, I just got out of my game plan. I just started trying to make plays that weren’t there, and, honestly, that we’re not capable of making yet. I was just trying to do too much.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News
Old 12-18-2006   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not one to fix things serially. If they want to fix the QB spot, improve the offensive line, and have Kubiak reflect on his performance and get better all between now and the start of the season, I'm all for it. They can even work on our other weaknesses at the same time. It is ineffective to focus on just one thing - unless we only have one area that can be improved, of course.
Old 12-18-2006   #12
kingh99

Quote:
Kubiak is not a rookie when it comes to observing and evaluating NFL personnel. He's been in the league for what 10, 15, 20 years ?
And yet he blew what was clearly the biggest pick in the franchises history.
For openers, Mario Williams is not and does not have the potential to be an elite NFL edge rusher. He is a tweener DLineman who may very well ultimately end up playing on the inside instead of the edge.There are probably 3 or 4 rookies who are better pass rushers. If you saw Tambi Hall last night in the Chiefs-Chargers game, you know what I'm talking about.
And Kubiak didn't have the philosopical flexibility (I'm being nice here), to see the contributiuons that a Reggie Bush would made to this offense. We all
know that Denver rarely has used a high pick on a back, and apparently Kubiak couldn't see beyond that mind-set.
And I won't belabor the point any longer about his evaluation of David Carr &
Vince Young.
The consensus is finally emerging that says Mayor McNair keeps a silver framed photo of DC and family behind his desk when he pops the question to HC candidates about giving their honest assessment of the Texans QB position.

Haha, it's us the fans who are being fed dung by a beleaguered owner who learning his business in a trial by fire. He's emerging horribly disfigured for his blunders. Making your number one first pick of the franchise be an unproven rookie as the QB should have told us all we needed to know about what was going to happen down the road. This guy McNair botched it badly and I'm afraid he's going to have to be bludgeoned by Kubiak exposing Carr before he get's a ****ing clue. Yesterday was Kubiak forcing Carr to throw when he didn't want to. It was a beautiful thing. I don't know how his head stayed on after that one tackle. I swear I thought it was going to twist off.

It's both sadistic and masochistic at this point. Really degenerate stuff. Thanks to Bob McNair and Mayor Bob Lanier we get plastic football in Houston. Just like Enron sleaze to build a plastic football franchise.
Chumps and profiteers all.
Old 12-18-2006   #13
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
I doubt there are many head coaches in the league who have the sole pick in a draft. The GMs and owners have to have a say.
True, but Kubiak has a great deal of power in this organization, especially so for a rookie head coach. There weren't a lot of checks and balances last draft. IMO.
Old 12-18-2006   #14
TreWardTxn
Veteran

Be reasonable people, it takes at least 2 drafts to turn a football roster around; if you get lucky with a deep free agent market 1 of those years, then maybe it will take one (the Saints have shown that). The first two drafts get personnel in place and the third builds depth. I expect the offense to be more potent next year, but if they expect to roll with Earl and Brown again in the secondary all bets are off on having a good defense or being that much improved...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreWardTxn View Post
Be reasonable people, it takes at least 2 drafts to turn a football roster around;
That doesn't absolve Kubiak of responsibility for his own mistakes. I'm sure he is professional enough to review his own performance and see how he can improve, even if some fans want to give him a free pass.
Old 12-18-2006   #16
kingh99

Yesterday was Kubiak's fault? Well yeah maybe but not until DC had salted away the loss with his bimbo'd ball to Seymour. After that it was expose David Carr hour.

Right out of the gate if they are going forward with the 4-3 they need two small fast tunnel rat DE's. They have to jettison Babin and keep Peek as the special teams captain or something but they need DE's. Mario Williams is a tackle, an elite one if he plies his trade, but a tackle nonetheless in this league. The sooner they can move him the better. Other than that, bring in another solid vet to compete with Dave-O and Rosenfelds and see where the chips fall at QB next summer. Draft a Safety, LB, RB and WR and 2 DE's and Offensive tackles, and wait for the QB draft in 08. Drafting a QB next year ought not even factor into things at this juncture. There is going to be an easy to live with one or two year option after cuts next year. And Rosenfelds seems to have a nice touch on the ball. So you are good there for a year or two going forward. I really believe this.

The whole deal this year, and maybe I'm being too hopeful here, but I think after about 5 weeks of his crap, Carr forced Kubes to have to expose his flaws to McNair in living color since McNair is too scared/pissed/proud to admit a monumental mess up. Anyway that's the way I see this throw away season and the upcoming ones.
Old 12-18-2006   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
He did pretty good with choices 2 thru 7 in this draft.
Not necessarily.
We know Casserly lobbied very hard for our 4th round pick, Owen Daniels. Kubiak himself is on record for crediting Casserly in that particular decision.
And I'm skeptical that Kubiak was the primary decision maker on LB DeMeco and the O tackles, but have no way of knowing. But even if his assistants made those picks, I'm willing to credit Kubiak. Its his staff. But Lundy is ordinary and Anderson is less than that, IMO.
But the first round pick was nothing short of monumental. And I'm almost as
critical of who Kubiak chose as who he didn't, because we should expect Mario to have the kind of season Shawn Merriman had last year as a rookie
defender. And VY and Bush are among the leading offensive rookie of the years.
Old 12-18-2006   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With an owner who refuses to acknowledge the problems...
I had a debate with someone at the office this morning and that was the prompt.

It's more difficult to describe typing on a keyboard than talking about it to a friend ...so I better not go there until I can figure out the least offensive way of communicating those thoughts.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #19
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Not necessarily.
We know Casserly lobbied very hard for our 4th round pick, Owen Daniels. Kubiak himself is on record for crediting Casserly in that particular decision.
And I'm skeptical that Kubiak was the primary decision maker on LB DeMeco and the O tackles, but have no way of knowing. But even if his assistants made those picks, I'm willing to credit Kubiak. Its his staff. But Lundy is ordinary and Anderson is less than that, IMO.
But the first round pick was nothing short of monumental. And I'm almost as
critical of who Kubiak chose as who he didn't, because we should expect Mario to have the kind of season Shawn Merriman had last year as a rookie
defender. And VY and Bush are among the leading offensive rookie of the years.
So you are saying you want to give credit to Casserly for our good picks and Kubiak for the bad* pick based on pure conjecture?

*Mario isn't even necessarily a bad pick. There are a number of reasons we haven't seen his full potential. (1) He is playing hurt. (2) He lost his starting DTs and is playing with FAs we signed off the street. (3) He is young, even for a rookie, and was sold to us as a raw player with great potential. He will not realize his full potential his rookie season, especially given the circumstances, and yet he is still dominant against the run.

I know it hurts to see a game like we did yesterday, but don't let emotion get in the way of reason.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #20
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I get tired of people saying Kubiak deserves some sort of special treatment. His job is to make sure the team is ready to go every week. Yet week after week we shoot ourselves in the foot with mistakes. Especially on offense. Question, why does our o-line keep jumping off-sides? Why do we seem to always be at a disadvantage? It's Kubiak's job to make sure these guys are prepared to play. Every week though our team looks unprepared starting off sloppy or unable to finish out the game. Unable to adjust during the game or to be consistent. Kubiak has experience by the tons as far as game-planning, that's what he did for the Bronco's so why is it we're so not ready. I dunno what Kubiak's deal is, but he's right he need's to find out what's wrong with the team and fix it, until he does our failures are on him.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read