Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-18-2006   #1
Janus3
Veteran

Default Name some free agents you'd like to see the Texans go after

qb: damon huard, i think he could be a decent starter while a younger qb develops.

rb: michael turner, a no brainer, could easily be a starter anywhere he went, though he is a rfa. ahman green could be a temporay fix but he's 30 and has injury problems. chris brown and buckhalter might be options or starter and shipp could be a solid back up.

wr: none really

ol: leonard davis or mike gandy, both would be solid help for the oline.

dl: vonnie holliday for dl expeerience or terrell sands for his size.

lb: adalius thomas first, followed by briggs and june. to a lesser extent, na'ill diggs. flethcher would be nice but he's getting up there in years. a nice sleeper might be kawika mitchell.

db: clements would most likely be expensive and samuel could get serious offers, i'd like either really. ken hamlin would be great at safety. a few other names to toss out at cb, nick harper, david macklin, and safety, deon grant, michael lewis, tony parrish.

looking at these names the texans could build a GREAT defense with a few key signings and solid draft selections and the offense could be decent and respectable as well.
Old 12-18-2006   #2
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Default Re: Name some free agents you'd like to see the Texans go after

i'd go for clements or thomas. thomas and dymecco would be great

although vonnie holiday is old, i wouldn't mind having him lining up next to mario unless there's another talented dlinemen on FA. mario in my opinion will not be able to put up the sack numbers that he's capable of unless there's another talented player on our dline. he can't do it all on his own.

turner sounds good but i'd prefer we go for adrian peterson, he's a tough runner and he atleast could add excitement to this offense of ours.
Old 12-18-2006   #3
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus3 View Post
qb: damon huard, i think he could be a decent starter while a younger qb develops.

rb: michael turner, a no brainer, could easily be a starter anywhere he went, though he is a rfa. ahman green could be a temporay fix but he's 30 and has injury problems. chris brown and buckhalter might be options or starter and shipp could be a solid back up.

wr: none really

ol: leonard davis or mike gandy, both would be solid help for the oline.

dl: vonnie holliday for dl expeerience or terrell sands for his size.

lb: adalius thomas first, followed by briggs and june. to a lesser extent, na'ill diggs. flethcher would be nice but he's getting up there in years. a nice sleeper might be kawika mitchell.

db: clements would most likely be expensive and samuel could get serious offers, i'd like either really. ken hamlin would be great at safety. a few other names to toss out at cb, nick harper, david macklin, and safety, deon grant, michael lewis, tony parrish.

looking at these names the texans could build a GREAT defense with a few key signings and solid draft selections and the offense could be decent and respectable as well.
The problem is, this is just a Christmas wish list. If we got any of these players the price of draft picks would be too high and that makes them unaffordable...
Old 12-18-2006   #4
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

FS Ken Hamlin
DT T Sands
RB Buckhalter

Draft
QB
OLB
OLINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

yes!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #6
stx-texans
Rookie

first off i would like to say i am no way a longhorn fan. that said is chris simms a free agent this offseason? i believe he only signed a one year deal in tampa. he always seemed like a good leader and a decent arm.
stx-texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #7
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

briggs
samuel
eric steinbach
and another good vet. o-line man
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2006   #8
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

In this order

Clements (would really solidify the secondary)
Turner (may cost too much he is a RFA)
Briggs (not sure he will be leaving Chicago)
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Go for Michael Turner and Clements. If you get either one of them you don't have to get one in the draft as a first day pick and you can use those first day picks for offensive lineman.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #10
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

It goes in ascending order, top choices at the top. We wont even get close to getting most of these guys, but if we can land afew and a combination, we should be well off. For example, if we can get Betts, Womack, Scott, and Hamlin, I would be ecstatic. This offseason will be crucial, show us what you've got Rick Smith!

RB
Ladell Betts, WAS
Correll Buckhalter, PHI
Dominic Rhodes, IND

OL
David Diehl, NYG
Eric Steinbach, CIN
Flloyd Womack, SEA
Shaun O'Hara, NYG

DT
Terdell Sands, OAK
Ian Scott, CHI

LB
Lance Briggs, CHI
Cato June, IND
London Fletcher-Baker, BUF
Shawn Barber, PHI
Demorrio Williams, ATL*

CB
Asante Samuel, NE
Nate Clements, BUF
Ricky Manning Jr, CHI

S
Ken Hamlin, SEA
Deon Grant, JAX
Kevin Kaesviharn, CIN
Michael Lewis, PHI
Old 12-18-2006   #11
NJTexanFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
It goes in ascending order, top choices at the top. We wont even get close to getting most of these guys, but if we can land afew and a combination, we should be well off. For example, if we can get Betts, Womack, Scott, and Hamlin, I would be ecstatic. This offseason will be crucial, show us what you've got Rick Smith!

RB
Ladell Betts, WAS
Correll Buckhalter, PHI
Dominic Rhodes, IND

OL
David Diehl, NYG
Eric Steinbach, CIN
Flloyd Womack, SEA
Shaun O'Hara, NYG

DT
Terdell Sands, OAK
Ian Scott, CHI

LB
Lance Briggs, CHI
Cato June, IND
London Fletcher-Baker, BUF
Shawn Barber, PHI
Demorrio Williams, ATL*

CB
Asante Samuel, NE
Nate Clements, BUF
Ricky Manning Jr, CHI

S
Ken Hamlin, SEA
Deon Grant, JAX
Kevin Kaesviharn, CIN
Michael Lewis, PHI
Just so you know but Ladell Betts was already signed to a contract extension
NJTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #12
coachdent
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 coachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to coachdent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTexanFan View Post
Just so you know but Ladell Betts was already signed to a contract extension
Buckhalter is a bit on the small side and has had two serious injuries. Not an every down back. Better options out there.

Adrian Peterson #1
Turner #2
Old 12-18-2006   #13
DatTexBoy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
FS Ken Hamlin
DT T Sands
RB Buckhalter

Draft
QB
OLB
OLINE
AGREED 1000%
DatTexBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #14
Boxscore
All Pro

How do we get Brady Quinn? I think he is a top three pick.
Old 12-18-2006   #15
coachdent
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 coachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to coachdent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxscore View Post
How do we get Brady Quinn? I think he is a top three pick.
Brady Quinn is not an option for us.

Detroit
Oakland
Tampa

All are ahead of us and all need quarterbacks.

I don't think Brady is a bonafide stud #1 pick. He is not real big and has not really performed real well against better competition. His gaudy stats are aided by winning the Commander-in-Chief trophy beating Army, Air Force and Navy this year. (They found out late that they couldn't play the Salvation Army, because they don't field a team yet...maybe in 2010!).

Adrian Peterson or Joe Thomas will be the guy there where we draft. Seeings how our offense is devoid of explosive playmakers, I'd vote for Peterson, but not be devastated with Thomas. Turner would be the guy to pursue in the offseason if we can.

Not sure what the prognosis is with DD, but we need an explosive back.

Kolb would be a nice pick in the fourth round or so. He could be the guy to groom for the future. I don't think going high in the draft with a quarterback is the answer to our problems that need to be addressed at a ton of other positions....

OL, SS, FS, RB... the list goes on.
Old 12-18-2006   #16
NJTexanFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachdent View Post

Detroit
Oakland
Tampa

I don't think Brady is a bonafide stud #1 pick. He is not real big and has not really performed real well against better competition. His gaudy stats are aided by winning the Commander-in-Chief trophy beating Army, Air Force and Navy this year. (They found out late that they couldn't play the Salvation Army, because they don't field a team yet...maybe in 2010!).

Adrian Peterson or Joe Thomas will be the guy there where we draft. Seeings how our offense is devoid of explosive playmakers, I'd vote for Peterson, but not be devastated with Thomas. Turner would be the guy to pursue in the offseason if we can.

Kolb would be a nice pick in the fourth round or so. He could be the guy to groom for the future. I don't think going high in the draft with a quarterback is the answer to our problems that need to be addressed at a ton of other positions....

I agree with you with drafting adrian peterson or joe thomas i would be happy with either one of those ideas but like i said before i think troy smith is a solid 2nd draft pick i was watching the tv the other day and even charley casserly said he would be picked in the 3rd round but how could we believe in anything that guy say
NJTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #17
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

We can't get Michael Turner! He's an RFA... he would cost us a number one pick. If we're going to spend a number one pick on a RB, then we should just draft one.

I'd like to go after a solid but affordable FS, then spend big money on either an OLB or CB: Clements, ASamuel, Briggs, AThomas...

Stay away from Leonard Davis but sign more athletic OLine depth.

In the draft, take BPA!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #18
Texizgreat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Texizgreat Send a message via Yahoo to Texizgreat

what is our total cap space?
Texizgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #19
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

David Diehl NYG would fit good in our scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #20
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachdent View Post

Detroit
Oakland
Tampa

Coach I hope you're right about this. If Thomas is there when we pick I think we need to get him. Even if Peterson is still there! I'm just not sold on Peterson's durability, and I sure would hate to get him for only a few seasons and then he has a career ending injury. I know it could happen to anyone we get, I just think he is too big of a risk. My only question at this point is do any of those teams picking ahead of us need O-linemen? If they do, Thomas is probably gone! JMHO!

As for the original question about FA, I would like to see the team make a run at Samuels, Clements and Hamlin at the DB position and Briggs or Thomas at the OLB position. Who knows, maybe we could land one or two of these. One can only hope!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read