Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-18-2006   #1
jhowie007
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to jhowie007 Send a message via Yahoo to jhowie007
Default Texans Are Losing Fan Support?

Sure seems like there are a lot fewer Texan fans today than there were before the draft. I am dreading the fact that it is looking more and more like we will be going through another rough year next year by the shape this team is in. I have season tickets and I am sure I will probably fork over $1400 again to watch another year of sub par football, but I sure hope this will be the last time. Five years is too long and the Texans need to stop making these draft day disasters and stop wasting draft picks and millions on poor trades for players that are afraid to tackle. If Carr is back next year, McNair will be kissing off a lot of fans. If he wants to do the right thing, he would send the right message to the Texan fans by telling Kubiack to bench Carr the rest of the season and just release him when the season is done. Pick up a QB from the practice squad. Anyone would be better than Carr.
jhowie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #2
DontTreadOnMe
Rookie

Default Re: Texans Are Losing Fan Support?

I dont know if anybody would be better than carr... well, nevermind.. yah... anybody would be better than carr.
DontTreadOnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #3
Scott D
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowie007 View Post
Sure seems like there are a lot fewer Texan fans today than there were before the draft. I am dreading the fact that it is looking more and more like we will be going through another rough year next year by the shape this team is in. I have season tickets and I am sure I will probably fork over $1400 again to watch another year of sub par football, but I sure hope this will be the last time. Five years is too long and the Texans need to stop making these draft day disasters and stop wasting draft picks and millions on poor trades for players that are afraid to tackle. If Carr is back next year, McNair will be kissing off a lot of fans. If he wants to do the right thing, he would send the right message to the Texan fans by telling Kubiack to bench Carr the rest of the season and just release him when the season is done. Pick up a QB from the practice squad. Anyone would be better than Carr.
I bet I can do better than him. Granted, I'll lose the game but the team will be behind me.
Scott D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #4
jhowie007
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to jhowie007 Send a message via Yahoo to jhowie007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott D View Post
I bet I can do better than him. Granted, I'll lose the game but the team will be behind me.
If you can throw the ball more than 5 yards, you will do... The job's all yours.
jhowie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #5
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this is one of those 'no duh' type of statements. Texans fan support is at an all time low.

If you play madden franchise mode, that little bar would be all the way to the left, with like 1 red bar.
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #6
sportsoutlaw
Rookie

This will all be fixed this season, as long as the Texans do the right thing and move away from David Carr, like they should have done before drafting him.

Houston is in the wonderful state of Texas, and we love our football teams....... as long as they are winning. If they are not winning, we raise all kinds of hell and demand better. This is what separates us from the other states. Losing is not an option.

Fixt the problems this year, and all is better, for a year, LOL. Just win, that is all we care about at any level of football.
sportsoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #7
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

eh.. I guess ill go ahead and start the offseason optimism a little early this year.

I really think we are closer than people think to becoming a good football team. We have some weaknesses on defense.. but for the most part we are chock full of young talent there, and its only gonna get better every time we add a player. I think our defense is only a couple players away from being top 15.

On offense.. again.. we are alot better than people think. Our oline is still a soar spot, and we could use a couple upgrades there.. the other issue is QB, where we could really use a veteran starter, and a promising young rookie to groom. You could possibly make a case for RB too.. but id like to see exactly what we have in Lundy, Taylor, and Gado. I think Dayne is a great change of pace/pounder back, all we need now is a shifty back that can eat up yards like DD did for us. I am most intrigued by Gado.. who seems to be very fast and athletic for his size. With improved run blocking, I think our existing crop of RBs would look a WHOLE lot better.

So, from that perspective.. we are only 5 or 6 players shy of major improvement. That is very doable in one offseason. If we have an offseason half as good as our last one, I could see us going 8 - 8 next season, no problem.

The key is to improve that oline some more, and replace Carr.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2006   #8
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
eh.. I guess ill go ahead and start the offseason optimism a little early this year.

I really think we are closer than people think to becoming a good football team. We have some weaknesses on defense.. but for the most part we are chock full of young talent there, and its only gonna get better every time we add a player. I think our defense is only a couple players away from being top 15.

On offense.. again.. we are alot better than people think. Our oline is still a soar spot, and we could use a couple upgrades there.. the other issue is QB, where we could really use a veteran starter, and a promising young rookie to groom. You could possibly make a case for RB too.. but id like to see exactly what we have in Lundy, Taylor, and Gado. I think Dayne is a great change of pace/pounder back, all we need now is a shifty back that can eat up yards like DD did for us. I am most intrigued by Gado.. who seems to be very fast and athletic for his size. With improved run blocking, I think our existing crop of RBs would look a WHOLE lot better.

So, from that perspective.. we are only 5 or 6 players shy of major improvement. That is very doable in one offseason. If we have an offseason half as good as our last one, I could see us going 8 - 8 next season, no problem.

The key is to improve that oline some more, and replace Carr.
i agree one hundred percent. unless joe thomas is available, i say we draft defense one more time and lets build the team around tough defense and running the ball.

sounds like a plan for success...look at the Bears...
Old 12-18-2006   #9
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Fan support is directly related to winning, wether Carr is part of that or not doesn't matter. Personally, I don't have an issue with Carr; however, I am tired of all the excuses people give for his poor performances. I would say the best thing for Carr is to leave quietly in the night, because it's his only chance to ressurect his fading career.
Old 12-18-2006   #10
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

I think he needs to give Van Pelt a chance...We're not expecting to win again the Colts anyways...At least i'm not...Of course i can hope, but with good football sense, the odds are definately against them...
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #11
Theoridic
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Theoridic

I had said this during the game and I think it is appropriate here also, We have to draft a home town favorite to increase the fanbase. I hate Vince and I have always hated him "you can read any of my past posts about him" but he would have been good for fan base. Hell even Reggie McNeil would have been good just to show that they want to support texas teams. Passing on i think Derrick Johnson LB from texas "I am not sure if that was his name" was still a blow to the fans that just want a home town hero to pull for. I still think that Kolb or anyone else that is from TX would be a neccesity for the fans.

Theoridic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Re:Texans Are Losing Fan Support?

Is snow white?

Is water wet?

Are bulls balls beef?

Is the pope a .... German? ....hmmm that one doesn't work like it used to.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #13
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowie007 View Post
Five years is too long and the Texans need to stop making these draft day disasters and stop wasting draft picks and millions on poor trades for players that are afraid to tackle. If Carr is back next year, McNair will be kissing off a lot of fans. If he wants to do the right thing, he would send the right message to the Texan fans by telling Kubiack to bench Carr the rest of the season and just release him when the season is done. Pick up a QB from the practice squad. Anyone would be better than Carr.
Cutting Carr would be the dumbest thing this franchise has ever done, when they could trade him and get something in return, and no not just anyone could do better. Personally, I hope he is traded so frontrunning morons that have no concept of the game of football can suddenly realize they don't know what they are talking about. If he goes to a team with merely an average offensive line instead of this horrid one all of you will see a monumental difference and the poor QB that has to play here in his stead is in for the worst nightmare of his life until the Texans fix their Offensive Line and that looks to be another full season away at best.
Old 12-18-2006   #14
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Is the pope a .... German? ....hmmm that one doesn't work like it used to.
That is because it is supposed to be this.

Is the Pope a Catholic?
Old 12-18-2006   #15
NederlandTexan
Veteran

This game was about as ridiculous as the whole "pet rock" thing from the 70's. New England just dominated every phase of this one. I'm really starting to think Houston should just disband that team and go away. Let's knock the NFL back to 31 teams and just get rid of this high-paid bye-week squad. They screw up drafts, they are the least talented team in the NFL, and they've had plenty of time to at least be somewhat competitive.

http://www.pigskinaddiction.com/2006/15/Mon/default.asp
Old 12-18-2006   #16
real

Yesterday was the first time all season that I actually stopped watching the game....I stopped watching after the third quater...I know that if I stopped watching, the Texans don't have many fans left....

The most disheartening thing about all of this, is that it seems as if our orginization is so caught up in a certain "way" of doing things that they are unwilling to make the neccessary moves that would allow us to be successful...When Kubes first came here, he seemed pretty bold, but now it seems as if Bob McNair has stolen his thunder......Think about it....Your not a coach....you're an owner....you aren't the "expert" when it comes to the football side of things...Yet you come out before the season is over and despite your QB's poor play, state that he will be here next year??? Not only is that a poor choice, but it can't make the coaches feel too confident that they could make top level changes if need be, but it also has to be a slap in the face to some of the players.......

I'm very dissapointed in this team....from top to bottom.....
Old 12-18-2006   #17
CenTexNative
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CenTexNative Send a message via Yahoo to CenTexNative

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMe View Post
I dont know if anybody would be better than carr... well, nevermind.. yah... anybody would be better than carr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott D View Post
I would like to ask both of you to put your money where your mouths are. Try out for the team. I'll bet y'all couldn't even make it on the team much less to a game. Heck i'll bet y'all cant even get to on an nfl europe team or cfl for that matter.
Give the guy a break. Ok so it's been 5 fears. But this is a new coach with a new offense.
But it's ok. I know how haters are too.
Old 12-18-2006   #18
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

this upcoming draft class isnt very strong... brady quinn is the most nfl ready i have seen a qb ever coming out of college. He has played in games bigger than any games a texan has seen, he has faced some very good defenses (usc last year, ohio state last year, (will) lsu this year, michigan this year, tenn. 2 years, etc. etc.) and is running an nfl offense under, in my opinion, one of the best offensive masterminds in football (weis). Wouldn't mind seeing him take carr's spot...but I would rather us build up our offensive line... and use carr kind of as a test dummy next year. Since he already has 5 years experience of that.
yourfavoritetexan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #19
TNTitan
Veteran

listening to sports 610 now, boy , you guys are ANGRY!!!!!!!! wow
TNTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #20
texan's blue
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Yesterday was the first time all season that I actually stopped watching the game....I stopped watching after the third quater...I know that if I stopped watching, the Texans don't have many fans left....

The most disheartening thing about all of this, is that it seems as if our orginization is so caught up in a certain "way" of doing things that they are unwilling to make the neccessary moves that would allow us to be successful...When Kubes first came here, he seemed pretty bold, but now it seems as if Bob McNair has stolen his thunder......Think about it....Your not a coach....you're an owner....you aren't the "expert" when it comes to the football side of things...Yet you come out before the season is over and despite your QB's poor play, state that he will be here next year??? Not only is that a poor choice, but it can't make the coaches feel too confident that they could make top level changes if need be, but it also has to be a slap in the face to some of the players.......

I'm very dissapointed in this team....from top to bottom.....
This is exactly what I am saying... McNair needs to stop trying to play coach... but isn't this the same thing that Bud Adams was doing????
texan's blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read