Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-17-2006   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Honest Discussion!

What is Kubiak trying to do to the Team and Carr? I ask that because we could have put Van Pelt in the Game. We could have put the young back in the game. We could have drafted an O-line. If you look over the 5 year history what have we done with the O-line that has resulted in anything but substandard play?

Today's game was a travisty. Was Carr as bad as he looked or do we have other problems? If we would have played Van Pelt, would have looked equally bad and then known the problem is the coaching. If we would have put the young back in the game and he made everyone look bad then would have made Kubiak look bad?

Kubiak has altered Carr's throwing technique in case you haven't noticed. Some of you have noticed he's putting more arch in his throw. Its almost like he wants to throw Carr to the wolves. He's not allowed to do anything offensively except for what Kubiak calls and wants. He can't audible. Kubiak wants him to lead what?

Our game planning sucks, our play sucks, and our team and coaching staff suck. As I have said this is an honest discussion, because I can't imagine a coach wanting to humilate his team. Basically that is what is happening.

AGAIN, WHAT IS KUBIAK DOING IN YOUR MIND?
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #2
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP
Default Re: Honest Discussion!

My guess is that Van Pelt is merely an emergency quarterback and that Kubiak has no real interest in evaluating him. Therefore there's no need to put him in the game. On the other hand, David Carr is being evaluated, so Kubiak kept him in.

Just a guess, but it's a fairly reasonable one.
Old 12-17-2006   #3
bpergrem3
Rookie

He doen't run as much as he use to either.
bpergrem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #4
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
My guess is that Van Pelt is merely an emergency quarterback and that Kubiak has no real interest in evaluating him. Therefore there's no need to put him in the game. On the other hand, David Carr is being evaluated, so Kubiak kept him in.

Just a guess, but it's a fairly reasonable one.

Well as a counter is he also evaluating the O-line? Would it be fairer to all to put in Van Pelt and see if the problem is as all of you think? Again, all I'm saying is that it should be both ways. Quite frankly I'm leaning to the camp Carr is through group, but he has taken one hell of a beating doing his best for the Texans. How many of the O-linemen are still standing? How many QB's in the league have been lost for the season taking lesser hits than Carr?

I guess I'm not ready to give up on Carr until we fix the O-line. We have not had a solid O-line in 5 years? Kubiak is suppose to be a magician with the running game. Well, I agree he has made it totally disappear. Why does he continue to try to humiliate everyone on this ball club?
Old 12-17-2006   #5
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry View Post
What is Kubiak trying to do to the Team and Carr? I ask that because we could have put Van Pelt in the Game. We could have put the young back in the game. We could have drafted an O-line. If you look over the 5 year history what have we done with the O-line that has resulted in anything but substandard play?

Today's game was a travisty. Was Carr as bad as he looked or do we have other problems? If we would have played Van Pelt, would have looked equally bad and then known the problem is the coaching. If we would have put the young back in the game and he made everyone look bad then would have made Kubiak look bad?

Kubiak has altered Carr's throwing technique in case you haven't noticed. Some of you have noticed he's putting more arch in his throw. Its almost like he wants to throw Carr to the wolves. He's not allowed to do anything offensively except for what Kubiak calls and wants. He can't audible. Kubiak wants him to lead what?

Our game planning sucks, our play sucks, and our team and coaching staff suck. As I have said this is an honest discussion, because I can't imagine a coach wanting to humilate his team. Basically that is what is happening.

AGAIN, WHAT IS KUBIAK DOING IN YOUR MIND?
i can see why kubiak wouldnt take carr out. with 2 games left, might as well leave him out. i think kubiak is going to leave him out there to show what he has. with 2 games left, kubiak probably wants to be 100% sure that carr cannot be salvaged. we can bear through it guys. next year will be a new beginning with a new QB at the helm.
Old 12-17-2006   #6
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Kubiak is suppose to be a magician with the running game. Well, I agree he has made it totally disappear. Why does he continue to try to humiliate everyone on this ball club?
Ron Dayne ran for 5.7 yards per carry. That's hardly disappointing.
Old 12-17-2006   #7
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ron Dayne ran for 5.7 yards per carry. That's hardly disappointing.
Well, then why don't you keep using him. I think you will find a lot of Dayne's yards came later in the game just like Carr getting Yards later. However, at least why not run the ball and the clock out to keep your team from being beaten to death. Dayne has only been effective the last 3-4 games.
Sponsored links
Old 12-17-2006   #8
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I guess I'm not ready to give up on Carr until we fix the O-line. We have not had a solid O-line in 5 years? Kubiak is suppose to be a magician with the running game. Well, I agree he has made it totally disappear. Why does he continue to try to humiliate everyone on this ball club?
David Carr has thrown 1 TD and 7 INTs in the past few games....I forget the number. Our Oline is bad, true but Carr is just plain bad and how can you not see that. I'm tired of the Oline excuse for Carr, he sucks period. Can you not see his regression the past 2-3 years. Carr is done in Houston, end of story.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, then why don't you keep using him. I think you will find a lot of Dayne's yards came later in the game just like Carr getting Yards later. However, at least why not run the ball and the clock out to keep your team from being beaten to death. Dayne has only been effective the last 3-4 games.
I guess you didn't watch the game again Ibar. Don't they have sports bars out in the valley?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #10
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is what happens...Dayne will run for say 7-8 yards on 1st and 2nd down, and on 3rd Carr throws a 1-2 yard dink pass. It's been happening all season, even for the past 5 years. Carr can't convert on 3rd down. Look at last week's game in particular and you can see this.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #11
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What? Most of his yards came in the first half. Did you watch the game?
Old 12-17-2006   #12
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I guess you didn't watch the game again Ibar. Don't they have sports bars out in the valley?
As always on this kind of a post we are getting away from my point and that is what is Kubiak trying to do to his team? To me he is humiliating everyone on the ball club and running them into the ground. If you are trying to get value for Carr are you defeating your own goals?

Again, what is this club's philosophy people? What is your intent? Don't throw the baby out with the bath water as they like to say.
Old 12-17-2006   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Quote:
As always on this kind of a post we are getting away from my point and that is what is Kubiak trying to do to his team? To me he is humiliating everyone on the ball club and running them into the ground. If you are trying to get value for Carr are you defeating your own goals?

Again, what is this club's philosophy people? What is your intent? Don't throw the baby out with the bath water as they like to say.
I'll consider that a "no".

Old 12-17-2006   #14
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

Its not just Carr it was the whole team they played like they have no heart. Today's game was just sad and for the first time I stop watching the game. Sometimes I will watch just to see if they can prove anything but today was just sick. I do not think Hodg is our center he play's just as well as the rest of the backups not very good.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #15
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Quote:

OK - so the Texans should turn over everyone but Carr for the second time to see if Carr can play? And I thought McNair was unreasonable in his devotion to Carr.
Old 12-17-2006   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Id say that Kubiak is probably trying to take as much stress out of the game as possible for Carr, in hopes that he will get comfortable out there and gain some confidence, then he would slowly start giving Carr more control.

Basicly breaking him down then building him back up again.

Obviously didnt work. Oh well.. lets draft a QB of Kubes choice, and sign Jake Plummer.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #17
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 304 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected

I couldn't bear to watch anymore. I even started watching the Saints game. As much of a snoozer as that game was, it was infinitely more interesting than the Texans games. As my sig indicates, I am a fan to the end, but this is just getting old. We have to do something about our QB situation in the off-season.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
OK - so the Texans should turn over everyone but Carr for the second time to see if Carr can play? And I thought McNair was unreasonable in his devotion to Carr.
Ibar is a Fresno State guy....not that that there is anything wrong with that.

Old 12-17-2006   #19
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Again, while Carr will always be an integral part of this discussion the discussion is what is Kubiak trying to do to this ball club? I mean there are other players who are being humiliated besides Carr. How is AJ feeling? How is Moulds feeling? How is Demecco feeling? How are the other players feeling about this game planning? How would you like to be an O-lineman playing on this ball club? Can you not find someway to protect your O-line even if you don't like the QB. Again, is Kubiak out to destroy this team?
Old 12-17-2006   #20
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Maybe Dayne has been broken for several years and now he is fixed. He is no Earl Campbell, but it was fun to watch him dragging several defenders along for extra yards like Earl used to do. As far as better running later in the game, isn't that typical for any power back as the defense starts to wear down? I wonder how much better he would have done today if the O-Line was making some better holes for him.

As far as playing the backup QB, I don't look for it to happen. I think Kubiack is looking at this as an evaluation/training time for Carr, and that's hard to do with him on the bench.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read