Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

If you were GM, how would you improve this franchise?

Texans34Life

I BLEED TEXANS!
2-14 last year. We had expectations of 6-7 wins this year. Instead, 4-10 and the laughingstock of the NFL.

5 years of this misery has to stop. What would you do to change this team?

Wolf

100% Texan
i'd like a running back. depending on Spencer's injury, I'd like secondary help..after that OL and LB

gotta go joe thomas 1st then if smith is there take him or kolb.........i say pick up mat schuab in fa as well as asante samuels(cb) and lance briggs(lb) andthen olinemen and the ret of the draft oline and db's

Texans34Life

I BLEED TEXANS!
The Dream had mentioned about Peppers.

I took a look back at our 2002 draft Our scouts must have been smoking crack and hitting the vodka when they made our picks.

Isn't the definition of insanity to do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

Is Bob McNair insane?

The Dream

All Pro
I'd go a step further........

I'd kidnap VY from Tennesse, frame Carr for murder and embeselment. Then reveal to the world that Mario and Julius were switch at birth and that we really drafted Julius.

a pretty boy like Dave wouldn't last in jail.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
First off, in the first round, I would draft Troy Smith as our QB. I would try and get a trade for picks for David Carr. If not possible, just keep Carr.

If a second rounder for Cedric Benson does not go through, then I would take either Marshawn Lynch from California or Michael Bush from Louisville (if possible in the second round). The next five rounds, I would focus on CB and OL.

We could get Asante Samuel from the Patriots and Lance Briggs from Chicago is we try hard enough. They would help out our secondary a lot, and we could use the draft picks for sone OL. Also, if Dwight Freeney does not resign with the Colts, we could try him, too, but by that time, I think we would be above the salary cap.

Texans34Life

I BLEED TEXANS!
The Texans should be paying me to drink their beer and attend their games.

McNair should be embarrassed with the personnel he put together.

Johnny Utah

Rookie
First off, in the first round, I would draft Troy Smith as our QB. I would try and get a trade for picks for David Carr. If not possible, just keep Carr.

If a second rounder for Cedric Benson does not go through, then I would take either Marshawn Lynch from California or Michael Bush from Louisville (if possible in the second round). The next five rounds, I would focus on CB and OL.
I think you may have your rounds switched up, but I want the players you want.

1) Peterson or Lynch in the first round.
2) Troy Smith in the second. (he'll measure only 5'11 at the combine dropping him to the second.)

TheIz

AirMan
Trade Carr for a 2nd - i think he's shown enough earlier in the season for someone to go for it (Raiders?....). Draft an exciting new face in the first -Smith, Peterson - whoever comes out of the pre-draft stuff looking the best; then either use the two 2nd rounders as they are, use them to move back up into the 1st (and grab the bpa), or package them in a trade for a vet that can help the team. That's a start at least......:fans:

Insideop

All Pro
I'll say it again (as I have on other threads), it starts in the trenches. After 5 years of a patchwork O-line, and yes I know injuries have been a problem, we have to get this fixed or it won't matter who is back there as QB after Carr leaves. They will be running for their lives! Picking up Plummer next year or drafting Quinn I don't think will make any difference if the O-line is not fixed. Plummer is older and slower than Carr and throwing Quinn in there would probably yield no better results because he will be just a rookie.

I agree that Carr is damaged goods and at this point I don't think he will be salvageable. I'm just hoping that we will be able to get a draft pick (any draft pick) for him when they do decide to move him.

If you saw that game today against New England, you know we have a lot more holes to fill than just QB. It would be nice to do this thing right this time and fix this O-line for whoever will be QB next year. And the way we're going now we might have a shot at drafting Joe Thomas in the 1st round. In the 2nd we could pickup secondary help (unless we get it in FA), and then in the 3rd we could get a center like Kyle Young or perhaps get Kevin Kolb and start grooming him to take over. Either way we have a lot of holes to fill on both sides of the ball and I think it's going to take more than just this draft and FA to fill them. JMHO!

South Texan

Waterboy
Clone enough Dunta's to fix the secondary.

Clone enough Mario's to fix the D-Line.

Clone a couple of DeMeco's for good measure.

Find a way to play without an O-Line. Oh, wait, we have been playing with no O-Line since day 1.

OK, seriously.
I just can't see a scenario that doesn't have Carr back next year. With that in mind, find a mix of vets and draftee's to fix the O-Line and Secondary. With whatever cap we have left over, find a pressure guy for the D-Line.

Keep Sage if he is healthy. I really think we need a strong back up if Kubiack can't get in Carr's head and fix him by mid-season next year.

If we can get a deal on good speed RB, I sure would take a hard look at that too.

CyberTexan

Waterboy
I would bench Carr now before he drops anymore in value and I would start Porter for these last 2 games , trade Carr in the offseason for anything we can get , Draft a RB like Peterson or Bush , pick up another QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Dime

Veteran
2-14 last year. We had expectations of 6-7 wins this year. Instead, 4-10 and the laughingstock of the NFL.

5 years of this misery has to stop. What would you do to change this team?
First,

We have been considered your "laughing stocks" for awhile now, so who cares about that..

We have improved this year.. kub is on the track. He is going to have to do something with Carr big time, either fix him (which i can not see being done with this team) or let him go.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Ok, I'm the GM of this team. I'm going to assume that I've been given enough authority to make whatever changes need to be made and you should keep in mind that we have no evidence that our current GM gets to do that.

The season ends. We finish up 4-12. Honestly I can't do squat to make this team better until we get through this year of misery and out the other side. As soon as I'm able to do so I begin searching for a team that thinks David Carr still has a chance to be a great QB. I'm looking for his new home and I'm willing to take anything reasonable they offer in trade for him. I'll take a 4 for him if that's all I can get. I'll consider a 5 if it's at the top of the 5th round and not the bottom. If I can't get anything for him I don't trade him. He can fight Rosenfels and Plummer for the starting job next year. One of them isn't going to make the team though and if it ends up being David Carr then it ends up being David Carr.

Free Agency starts and I am trying to sign the best guard or center that I can get my hands on. I'm going to overpay if I have to but the question marks surrounding the offensive line need to end now. I'm going to aquire one offensive lineman in free agency towards that end. I also make every possible effort to sign the best defensive back my money can buy. If I can possibly afford it then I get two (a CB and a Safety). That concludes my free agent moves.

The draft arrives and I find out what's happening with Charles Spencer. Is he going to make it back? How are things looking? If there is any chance this man can't come back and play LT then I'm going to be forced to take Joe Thomas or the best LT prospect on my board. There's no "if he's there" logic going on here. If I don't think he's going to be there then I make a move to climb up to where I need to be. I'm serious about drafting a LT. This mess ends in 2007. If Spencer is looking like he's going to be back and right by the start of camp then I am going to draft Adrian Peterson or the best back I have on my board. Again I'm going to go get this guy and not hope he falls to me. My draft goes something like 1:RB, 2:OT, 3:LB, 4-7:BPA.

Then I look to the coaching staff. I have a long sit down with Gary Kubiak and discuss everyone on his first staff. I want to know if anyone didn't come through and needs to be replaced. I want to know if there's any additional coaches he needs to get the job done. I want to know what kind of improvement he's expecting in 2007.

That's the high points of what I do.

Wolf

100% Texan
I agree the OL problems have to end this season.

after that qb or RB problems have to end also

Wharton

Rookie
I’ve been kinda quit posting this season because it got so depressing, but this thread is too good to pass up.

I see a huge, huge shortage of talent on this team and a huge, huge shortage of spirit for lack of a better word. Because this team has come to accept losing, which makes it worse then the original 2002 team, it is now harder for the Texans to become a winning franchise. To turn this around, I recommend changing the roster as much as possible as quickly as possible.

2007 Off-season
I look at our roster and the only players who are not trade bait at the time are MLB Ryans and TE Daniels. If I had interest, in any of the other players, I’d seriously consider any trade that got us draft picks. Some players I wouldn’t let go unless we got multiple picks such as WR Johnson, CB Robinson and KR Mathis. The rest of the team is expendable for any pick I can get. I want this losing spirit off this team and I want if off right now.

You may be asking yourself “How can you let Johnson go? He’s our best player.” I agree with you, he is our best player and sometimes you have to give to receive. Also, frankly, I don’t have a QB right now and I’m probably not drafting one yet either so I have no use for a stud WR.

Draft: Since at most we will only get 5 wins this year, that will put somewhere between 4th and 10th in the upcoming draft. This pick would get traded for either a proven player (unlikely) or more picks. I’d keep trading down until the 15th or later pick. I like what we did last year with Spencer and Winston. I hope Spencer comes back 100%, but just in case he doesn’t my priority in this draft is o-line and defense. Take the best players available. Also, on defense, if the scouting report on a player doesn’t say something like “has a nasty streak” or “has a motor that runs all the time”, then don’t bother drafting them. One of the negatives on the scouting reports on Williams was that he took plays off in college. Well, he takes them off in the pros too.
Free Agency: Who cares. Do just enough to fill in the roster. Get quality back-ups. Save your money and fee up cap room for next year.
The 2007 SeasonThe 2007 season is a bust already and I wouldn’t expect anything from it at all. Don’t even talk to your team about winning any games in 2007. The Texans should have a ton of new players so use the entire season for teaching. Record 5-6 wins. Build for 2008 or 2009.

2008 Off-season
Do the exact same thing with the trades. If you didn’t unload AJ last off-season, unload him this off-season. There has to at least one stupid GM out there who will give up a ton of draft picks for this guy. Really pull a Hershel Walker trade.
Draft: Trade down again. Now go after skill players including a 2nd to 3rd round QB. Ala Phillip Rivers, this QB won’t see a single play in 2008.
Free Agency: If there is a stud QB go out and get him ala Drew Brees. If he’s not there, don’t bother. My theory on QBs is this – Don’t spend good money for potential. QB is the hardest position to draft for, so don’t. If you’re going to have to pay a ton of money for these guys, why not get a free agent who is proven and not a rookie who only has potential. Carr has a lot of potential and look how good he’s become. Other then QB, don’t do too much in FA, were building through the draft but don’t pass up on a quality player. Do a little more then fill in the roster now. Again, save your money and fee up cap room for next year.
2008 Season.Keep teaching in the fore front, but now start talking about winning. Expectation for this year is 7-8 wins.

2009 Off-season. Get that QB now. Either move up last years pick or get one in free agency. Fill in holes in the draft or free agency.

2009 Season is for winning. If we aren’t winning by the end of the season, I’d be fired.

Lets play some :poker:

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
I would not pick up any free agents for our 0-line or our secondary.

I would then trade AJ, Demeco, and Dunta.

I would then look for a job at CBS sports.