Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-16-2006   #1
Smokedawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 Smokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden cover
Default LaRon Landry

Here is a view of some of his hard hits. One is from last year on Brodie Croyle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvKaO78Ov2I&eurl=
Old 12-16-2006   #2
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LaRon Landry

I don't know his stats, but he looks to be a pretty big guy.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #3
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now, he is penciled in as my pick for Texans #1 pic. A big guy who can go up against the bigger receivers.
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #4
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Can he cover and read is my question? Glenn Earl can hit people.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #5
Smokedawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 Smokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden cover

He is real good in coverage. teams plan around him. he is kind of like DeMeco in which he is very instinctive and all over the field

Last edited by Smokedawg; 12-16-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #6
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokedawg View Post
He is real good in coverage. teams plan around him. he is kind of like DeMeco in which he is very instinctive and all of the field

I hope you are right because I have seen negatives on him

Did you go to LSU? That might make a difference in how I see your opinion of this guy (not that my opinion matters anymore than yours lol)

I still say O-line for rounds 1-7 and get lucky with 2 great players. I see that as a Premium and I agree we need a safety but AP (Andrian Peterson) will get a lot of run, and I dont want to see us wait for round 3 again before we address the O-line.
Old 12-16-2006   #7
Smokedawg
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle View Post
I hope you are right because I have seen negatives on him

Did you go to LSU? That might make a difference in how I see your opinion of this guy (not that my opinion matters anymore than yours lol)

I still say O-line for rounds 1-7 and get lucky with 2 great players. I see that as a Premium and I agree we need a safety but AP (Andrian Peterson) will get a lot of run, and I dont want to see us wait for round 3 again before we address the O-line.
Sadly no i didnt go, Baton Rouge was too big and im a small town guy in a town of about 3,000, so i chickened out

But i have followed him his whole career. he has been very consistent since he was a freshman, I agree 110% with you on the O-line though. we need a good strong foundation on both sides of the ball. I love AP, im just scared of his injuries, but hey look at Frank Gore he was always hurt at Miami.
Old 12-16-2006   #8
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Yeah, Gore had two blown knees, AP has a collar bone and a Knee I think, so he can still be something.

I love the Safety position so I hope we get someone who can cover and read the play so to speak. Im tired of watching either Earl or Brown take bad angles on deep balls and being late to give our CBs help
Old 12-16-2006   #9
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
Yeah, Gore had two blown knees, AP has a collar bone and a Knee I think, so he can still be something.

I love the Safety position so I hope we get someone who can cover and read the play so to speak. Im tired of watching either Earl or Brown take bad angles on deep balls and being late to give our CBs help
AP had a shoulder problem his freshman year, high ankle sprain soph. and now the collar bone.

i would love to get laron, after watching him the last three years i can say that no matter what, he brings it every game and you can always count on him.
Old 12-16-2006   #10
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokedawg View Post
He is real good in coverage. teams plan around him. he is kind of like DeMeco in which he is very instinctive and all over the field
I can back this up as well. I havent seen many passes thrown on him. Also, he is really instictive; I saw a WR run a 5 yard out where he was about 10 yards off, and he jumped it and just about picked it off (couldnt handle the pass). He is the AJ Hawk of this draft, the one player who has everything you want and is very low risk. He is the consistent presence we need at FS and someone who can be counted on.
Old 12-16-2006   #11
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

He is sounding good

I still want an O-line
Old 12-16-2006   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I want anyone from LSU in the first round...
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #13
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
He is sounding good

I still want an O-line
I used to want O Line R1 or R2, but I just gave up and said screw it. Go O Line in FA or make it a R3 tradition. Kubiak and Smith know what they're looking for, I trust they can fix our O Line without it costing us more than we should.
Old 12-17-2006   #14
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Weary, Pitts, and Spencer are pretty much guaranteed a spot next year....if you want Winston at RT, we can keep Hogdon or draft a young C. We just need depth in the later rounds. Maybe a potential starter, but no earlier than the first.

As for RB, I'm not in love with this class. I don't see a DeAngelo Williams, a guy who is guaranteed to be somewhat successful at least, I think all of these guys are risky. I'd go no earlier than 3rd unless we get one of the big names in the second.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #15
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

I trust them because they did a great job with the draft (VY or not).

But I still dont like Flanagan, he was a waste so I worry about their ability for free agency.

How does Landry stack up against Merriwhether, Griffen and Eric Weddle at the Safety position?
Old 12-17-2006   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Weary, Pitts, and Spencer are pretty much guaranteed a spot next year....if you want Winston at RT, we can keep Hogdon or draft a young C. We just need depth in the later rounds. Maybe a potential starter, but no earlier than the first.

As for RB, I'm not in love with this class. I don't see a DeAngelo Williams, a guy who is guaranteed to be somewhat successful at least, I think all of these guys are risky. I'd go no earlier than 3rd unless we get one of the big names in the second.
Well, we can't spend anything higher than a 1st on anyone, it's just not possible. Hogdon has been blown up every game he's ever played. He is not NFL starter material. Weary will likely shift to C if Flanagen can't handle it.

I see a few RB's that look more promising than Williams last year. I see AP, Lynch, Bush being better pros than Williams. I see Wolfe being a very good pro and better than Williams in a ZBS.
Old 12-17-2006   #17
Smokedawg
Veteran

Quote:

But I still dont like Flanagan, he was a waste so I worry about their ability for free agency.

How does Landry stack up against Merriwhether, Griffen and Eric Weddle at the Safety position?
I dont think there is really any comparison. Merriwhether isnt anything special(especially after the fighting incident). I know Griffen has big stats, but Texas defense is no where near LSU's cuz LSU force alot of 3 and outs and arent on the field as much, plus like stated earlier LaROn started as a true freshman and the 2003 Nat. Champ. so that says something and has been consistent for 4 years strait. i dont know much about weddle.
Old 12-17-2006   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Landry is solid all around. He doesn't have a glaring weakness, but he doesn't have much upside. He is pretty much at his peak which is very good as is. He is as solid as they come from college. He is a very safe pick. Merriwether and Nelson are the big play guys. They both have tons of upside. Nelson will be the better pro, but may take a few extra games to get going like Landry. I don't see Griffin playing FS, and I don't see Weddle being better than what we have.

As far as FA OL go, look at Stienbach.
Old 12-17-2006   #19
Smokedawg
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Well, we can't spend anything higher than a 1st on anyone, it's just not possible. Hogdon has been blown up every game he's ever played. He is not NFL starter material. Weary will likely shift to C if Flanagen can't handle it.

I see a few RB's that look more promising than Williams last year. I see AP, Lynch, Bush being better pros than Williams. I see Wolfe being a very good pro and better than Williams in a ZBS.
i agree on G. Wolfe he may be little but he is a beast.
Old 12-17-2006   #20
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

I like Merriwhether (if that is how to spell his name) he seemed to have some ability to cover the slot WR and make some good reads.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read