Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2006   #1
phan1
All Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 30
Posts: 650
Rep Power: 11 phan1 is ridin' the pine
Default Who's excited about Chris Taylor maybe getting some carries?

Cause I am. Not that I'm expecting that much, but I want to see someone else out there who can step up to the plate and carry the football. Last week, Dayne totally outclassed Lundy. It seems like Lundy and Gado are having trouble finding the holes in the offense (Gado was sent out of Green Bay for a reason), but Dayne has almost always carried the ball decently to very well for us. That mean the holes are there! Somebody just has to be smart enough to look for them!

It was pretty obvious last week that Dayne was able to find the gaps that Lundy wasn't able to. There were some holes Lundy totally missed that Dayne just wouldn't have. I'm not expecting a spectacular back by any means, I just want a guy who's going to run it correctly on a consistent bases. I know it's complicated and it does take a smart guy to run the system well, but we've got to find somebody who can! We can't get away with letting Dayne run the ball 20+ times a game. I'm hoping Chris Taylor can start showing us something in our next couple games.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors
 
mexican_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Spring, TX
Age: 23
Posts: 14,188
Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who's excited about Chris Taylor maybe getting some carries?

It's no coincidence the old vet had better field awareness.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
in the hood, they calls it pimpin'.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #3
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame
 
TexanFan881's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois
Age: 24
Posts: 2,801
Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881
Default Re: Who's excited about Chris Taylor maybe getting some carries?

Well I'm pumped and really hoping Chris gets some time this week early in the game. I think he can do a pretty good job, or atleast up to the bar that Lundy has set so far. I don't think he will carry the ball of Dayne, but that's just because he would be getting his first carries this week. Hopefully he can do good with the few carries he gets this week for us, and doesn't fumble it. Kubiak said the reason he wasn't on the roster all year was because of his fumbling, so I would like to see him at the beginning of the game rather than the end so we can overcome it incase of that happening.
__________________
Proud Adoptee Of Our Future Starting Running Back Chris Taylor
TexanFan881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #4
edo783
Site Contributor
 
edo783's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Houston, again.
Posts: 7,706
Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who's excited about Chris Taylor maybe getting some carries?

Hopefully the kid is up to speed well enough to play and pick up the blitz, because that's what we will be seeing. I am looking forward to seeing if he can find the holes and get through them. With his speed, might be interesting. Then again, the blitz thing could get interesting also.
__________________


De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #5
tsip
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,277
Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default Re: Who's excited about Chris Taylor maybe getting some carries?

...don't hold your breath to see Taylor because he's on Kubiak's 'we need to get him some reps,' list, which translate into 'maybe next year...or not'
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #6
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame
 
Goldeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Spring
Age: 41
Posts: 1,816
Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle
Default Re: Who's excited about Chris Taylor maybe getting some carries?

Id like to see him get some carries, he looked Good in Pre season......Then again that was Pre Season
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #7
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors
 
mexican_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Spring, TX
Age: 23
Posts: 14,188
Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who's excited about Chris Taylor maybe getting some carries?

Quote:
...don't hold your breath to see Taylor because he's on Kubiak's 'we need to get him some reps,' list, which translate into 'maybe next year...or not'
...and you know this because...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
in the hood, they calls it pimpin'.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2006   #8
Grid
Hall of Fame
 
Grid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,299
Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who's excited about Chris Taylor maybe getting some carries?

People get on Kubiak's case for not playing some of the guys sitting on the bench to "see what we have".. and edo mentioned how important it is that Taylor be able to pick up the blitz.

Well, i just wanted to point out that it is very possible that the reason we dont see some of these bench players playing is because the guys we DO have on the field need all the help they can get so that they have the opportunity to grow and "show what they got"

In the case of Taylor, we may be playing the same RBs because they provide us with a solid, if unimpressive, running game.. and blitz pickup.. this allows Carr to keep off his back (somewhat).

Im just trying to say that Kubiak probably isnt NOT playing these guys cause hes "stuck in his ways".. hes probably doing it because he is more interested in evaluating some other players that ARE on the field, and bringing in a rookie like Taylor would "skew the results"
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #9
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame
 
shinerbock_girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,256
Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl
Default Re: Who's excited about Chris Taylor maybe getting some carries?

Not sure what to think at this point....I just want them to win, i don't care who plays...
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #10
tsip
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,277
Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default Re: Who's excited about Chris Taylor maybe getting some carries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
People get on Kubiak's case for not playing some of the guys sitting on the bench to "see what we have".. and edo mentioned how important it is that Taylor be able to pick up the blitz.

Well, i just wanted to point out that it is very possible that the reason we dont see some of these bench players playing is because the guys we DO have on the field need all the help they can get so that they have the opportunity to grow and "show what they got"

In the case of Taylor, we may be playing the same RBs because they provide us with a solid, if unimpressive, running game.. and blitz pickup.. this allows Carr to keep off his back (somewhat).

Im just trying to say that Kubiak probably isnt NOT playing these guys cause hes "stuck in his ways".. hes probably doing it because he is more interested in evaluating some other players that ARE on the field, and bringing in a rookie like Taylor would "skew the results"

...where are my boots?...maybe this would make sense if a) Kubiak did not mention it every week or b) we were in a must win situation or c) we were certain these same RBs were coming back next year or d) giving 5-10 would really disrupt Kubiak's game plan


...too, many posters keep mentioning how bad our players are, so I would think it would be important to play everyone--maybe we'll find a sleeper...also, we drafted Taylor...I think we know what we've got in Dayne/Gado/Leach,etc and finally,

"skew the results?"

Last edited by tsip; 12-16-2006 at 09:33 PM.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #11
bayshorebevo
Veteran
 
bayshorebevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: seabrook
Posts: 151
Rep Power: 10 bayshorebevo is a fan favorite
Default Re: Who's excited about Chris Taylor maybe getting some carries?

Not me. Maybe he'll do good though.
bayshorebevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame
 
Grid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,299
Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who's excited about Chris Taylor maybe getting some carries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip View Post
...where are my boots?...maybe this would make sense if a) Kubiak did not mention it every week or b) we were in a must win situation or c) we were certain these same RBs were coming back next year or d) giving 5-10 would really disrupt Kubiak's game plan


...too, many posters keep mentioning how bad our players are, so I would think it would be important to play everyone--maybe we'll find a sleeper...also, we drafted Taylor...I think we know what we've got in Dayne/Gado/Leach,etc and finally,

"skew the results?"

mmkay.. so your theory is...what? He forgets?

And I dont think you comprehended what i said. The reason he may not be trying the bench players is because he may have more faith in the starters to "do thier job", thereby allowing him to evaluate the players out there who may NOT be doing thier job.

To give an example.. if you took out all our starting Olinemen and put in all our 2nd and 3rd string, and practice squad Olinemen.. do you feel that Carr's performance in that game would be indicative of his abilities? No.. because he probably wouldnt have very good protection, and that would negatively affect his performance.

Same deal with Taylor. If Kubiak feels that Taylor will be unable to pick up the blitz as well as Dayne/Gado/Lundy.. then he may be reluctant to start him because of the negative effect he may have on our struggling offense. It would reflect poorly on Carr, and our Olinemen..and probably our wide recievers and our offensive coaches, etc..etc..etc..

You say "well what can it hurt, we know our team sucks so lets see what we have on the bench".. well, i have repeatedly heard people say that our staff feels we are a team on the verge of a major breakthrough.. if they honestly feel that way then they may not want to take any chances. If they are expecting a "breakthrough" soon, then they could be starting the same players so that they dont shoot themselves in the foot and impede the "breakthrough" from happening.

All I know for certain is that he has a reason for it. Some people around here seem to think that, in order to be a head coach, you have to be incapable of thought or decision making abilities. Im of the opinion that we dont know half the things going on behind the lockerroom door, and there is a REASON why these decisions are made. Call me crazy.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #13
tsip
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,277
Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default Re: Who's excited about Chris Taylor maybe getting some carries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
mmkay.. so your theory is...what? He forgets?

And I dont think you comprehended what i said. The reason he may not be trying the bench players is because he may have more faith in the starters to "do thier job", thereby allowing him to evaluate the players out there who may NOT be doing thier job.

To give an example.. if you took out all our starting Olinemen and put in all our 2nd and 3rd string, and practice squad Olinemen.. do you feel that Carr's performance in that game would be indicative of his abilities? No.. because he probably wouldnt have very good protection, and that would negatively affect his performance.

Same deal with Taylor. If Kubiak feels that Taylor will be unable to pick up the blitz as well as Dayne/Gado/Lundy.. then he may be reluctant to start him because of the negative effect he may have on our struggling offense. It would reflect poorly on Carr, and our Olinemen..and probably our wide recievers and our offensive coaches, etc..etc..etc..

You say "well what can it hurt, we know our team sucks so lets see what we have on the bench".. well, i have repeatedly heard people say that our staff feels we are a team on the verge of a major breakthrough.. if they honestly feel that way then they may not want to take any chances. If they are expecting a "breakthrough" soon, then they could be starting the same players so that they dont shoot themselves in the foot and impede the "breakthrough" from happening.

All I know for certain is that he has a reason for it. Some people around here seem to think that, in order to be a head coach, you have to be incapable of thought or decision making abilities. Im of the opinion that we dont know half the things going on behind the lockerroom door, and there is a REASON why these decisions are made. Call me crazy.
...you miss a major point--it was Kubiak that said he wanted to see Taylor play. Too, with 3 games to go, if Kubiak is still looking for a 'break through' or 'something' new from these players he's seen all year, well--good luck.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #14
DeclanJr
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 72
Rep Power: 0 DeclanJr has been demoted to the practice squad
Default Re: Who's excited about Chris Taylor maybe getting some carries?

I like what I'm seeing out of Ron Dayne. I really wish he would get more carries. Throw Taylor in for a change of pace, but let's up the carries by Dayne. He has been punishing lately.
DeclanJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger