Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2006   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default What if Kubiak wouldn't come if VY was drafted?

Here's an idea--our dufus owner has publicly said that one head coaching candidate said he would not take the job if Vince Young were drafted #1.

What if that candidate was Gary Kubiak?

Now with the story about Dan Reeves' recommendation of VY, the plot thickens.

Bud Adams was a dopey owner in a lot of ways, but even Bud Adams would not have put up with 5 years of pathetic Carr performances. Methinks somebody has his nose so far up somebody else's you know what that we're NEVER GETTING A CHANCE TO SEE WHAT THIS TEAM COULD DO WITH A REAL QB.

Yours in Daviddom,

Stumblin' Bumblin'
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006   #2
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP
Default Re: What if Kubiak wouldn't come if VY was drafted?

That candidate was not Kubiak, I'm sure, but if it was - I wouldn't want Kubiak here.

Kubiak wasn't that stupid, though. He would have been willing to work with any QB to get the chance to be the head coach of the Texans.

I can't imagine any other team giving David Carr this much time to prove himself. At the very least, other teams would have made him legitimately compete for his job.
Old 12-16-2006   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I would put money on that candidate being Pat Hill from Fresno State.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #4
MrMeToo
All Pro

If I found out it was Kubiak, I'd would hate him forever.
Old 12-16-2006   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #6
kfranco_utexas
Veteran

Old 12-16-2006   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

All I know is that if I were interviewing for the head coaching job, I sure as hell would not have said that. That says a lot about your coaching ability. I could give my opinion on who I think would be the better for the team, but that I would be able to coach both very well and win a superbowl with either.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2006   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
Here's an idea--our dufus owner has publicly said that one head coaching candidate said he would not take the job if Vince Young were drafted #1.

Now with the story about Dan Reeves' recommendation of VY, the plot thickens.

Bud Adams was a dopey owner in a lot of ways, but even Bud Adams would not have put up with 5 years of pathetic Carr performances. Methinks somebody has his nose so far up somebody else's you know what that we're NEVER GETTING A CHANCE TO SEE WHAT THIS TEAM COULD DO WITH A REAL QB.

Yours in Daviddom,

Stumblin' Bumblin'
Really? Bud wouldn't have put up with bringing in a very aged, beaten and battered Kenny Stabler and Archie Manning?

or there was the period where our starting QB's were Cody "the commander" Carlson, Bucky Richardson, and who next? was it Chris "Chandelier" or "Glass jaw" (whichever you like) Chandler??

Fact is VY fell into Bud's lap even though Fisher and Chow wanted Lienart (which was bias given both of their allegiances to SC). I will give Bud that much credit, even though it was probably strictly from the standpoint to "stick it to Houston".... That may be arguable, but its based on prior actions by Bud....
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
All I know is that if I were interviewing for the head coaching job, I sure as hell would not have said that. That says a lot about your coaching ability. I could give my opinion on who I think would be the better for the team, but that I would be able to coach both very well and win a superbowl with either.
I am betting that this was the attitude of the candidates who said that "you can win with David Carr." For some reason I don't think that we are getting the full report from McNair. I doubt that all seven guys preferred Carr over Young, but apparently one really did and at least Kubiak felt that Carr could be fixed enough for the Texans to do something other than QB with that top pick.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #10
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

it wouldn't surprise me if it was Gary...if so then shame on him.
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

If it was Gary, I would be highly upset and not forgive him - even as an Aggie..

Obviously we will never know, but how we know it wasn't Linehan? His offense doesn't seem to be the type that Vince would excell in... Its too pocket passing oriented. Not saying VY couldn't learn that, just saying......
Old 12-16-2006   #12
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted this yesterday but it bears repeating here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull View Post
"Do you think David Carr can take us to the Super Bowl?"

really means

"Are you a good enough coach to take this team to the Super Bowl without getting rid of the multi-million dollar face of my franchise?"

The question is loaded. Any interviewee is going to say yes to the question.
Except the interviewee that coached the starting QB in college. I would expect him to say "If he doesn't stay here, then I don't want the job."
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #13
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I really wouldn't care... it's his prerogative. People are entitled to horrible mistakes, and ultimately their entire record will be what counts. If Kubiak is that guy and he wins a Super Bowl, I don't think anyone will care.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Back to the actual question: What if Kubiak wouldn't come if VY was drafted?

He has never been a HC. I seriously doubt anyone in serious consideration for their first HC job, coupled with the fact that its his home town, would give a rats *** about who was drafted. Either way, he knew he was inheriting a poor football team..
Old 12-16-2006   #15
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

The fact that it was said doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me is that the owner of an NFL franchise would make it public that it was said at all.

Pretty lame.

Big surprise. McNair has an agenda.

It's called protecting the QB's psyche at all costs. Including winning.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #16
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull View Post
The fact that it was said doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me is that the owner of an NFL franchise would make it public that it was said at all.

Pretty lame.

Big surprise. McNair has an agenda.

It's called protecting the QB's psyche at all costs. Including winning.
The more I think about it, the more I believe there really was no such head coaching prospect who said that to McNair. Who would say such a thing? Even if you don't like Vince Young, you don't say something like that prior to an interview.....Seems like BS to me.

Just a bonehead owner trying to cover his bonehead tracks after a bonehead move by creating a mythical person (ostensibly with some credibility otherwise he wouldn't be in a position to take the head coaching job) who believed VY wasn't all that....
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #17
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
Are you remembering that Kubiak is the guy that told David to run if he saw the hole?

Need I remind you what Vince did when DeMeco was slipped to the side?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read