Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-14-2006   #1
light
Rookie

Default Mario Williams Vs. Michael Strahan

Mario Williams
Height: 6-6
Weight: 291
Year Team G Total Tkl Ast Sacks
2006 Texans 13 36 27.0 9 4.5

# 92 Michael Strahan
Position: DE
Height: 6-5
Weight: 255
Born: 11/21/1971
College: Texas Southern
Year Team G Total Tkl Ast Sacks
1993 Giants 9 3 1.0 2 1.0
1994 Giants 15 38 25.0 13 4.5
light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #2
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Williams Vs. Michael Strahan

Wow, with those stats from Strahan from 1993 & 1994 then he must be a BUST!
Old 12-14-2006   #3
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Strahan was not picked #1 overall. Therein lies the difference when comparing the two. No one is really saying Mario sucks. People are just saying HE SUCKS as #1 overall pick....especially when you consider what we passed on.

its an ugly truth but the truth nonetheless.
Old 12-14-2006   #4
BigSaint8050
Rookie

One word.... HA.....

Multiply that by 1000, thats my response.
BigSaint8050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #5
dantem
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Strahan was not picked #1 overall. Therein lies the difference when comparing the two. No one is really saying Mario sucks. People are just saying HE SUCKS as #1 overall pick....especially when you consider what we passed on.

He was only picked no 1 because he fit our needs at the time, what does the order he was picked in have to do with weather or not he is a good player?
dantem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #6
dantem
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSaint8050 View Post
One word.... HA.....

By the way, the saints must have been crazy to pass up DeMeco Ryans and take Bush.
dantem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #7
t_flare
Veteran

McNair said it today with should make sense for everyone... they are BUILDING this team from the ground up... Dom and Casserly build it up then got rid of Glenn, Sharper and the vets and took it down.

If find another pass rusher to play the LE spot. Have Mario RE, Travis Johnson and Weaver to stop the run. Find OLB that are better than what you have now, Ryans in the middle. Find a 2nd CB, move Faggins to nickel and upgrade one or both safties.

This Defense can be top 15 this year after their terrible start. You upgrade it more and make it like a Chicago, like a Denver, like a Baltomore.

Then your offense doesnt have to me magic to win games.

So in for Mario, he is playing injured since the 8th game of the season. He shows flashs of great DE plays as a rookie. IF he gets better, he is a DE starter for the next 10 years.
t_flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2006   #8
light
Rookie

i still think mario is a better pick than reggie bush. especially if he maximizes his ability. defese wins super bowls, and kubiak knows the offensive side of the ball. The texans did make the mistake of not seriously considering vince young though. Reggie cant handle the years of pounding the nfl has in store for him, i give him 5 years tops.....
Old 12-14-2006   #9
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Unfortunately, but we didn't pick Vince Young ( the living GOD), so we all need to move on & don't dwell on the past! Until the living GOD wins multiple Superbowls, then I will change my tune! We ALL gotta support Mario, 1st pick or not, this is not he's fault & he seems to want to become better! I have a feeling once Mario becomes better the sting from not drafting the living GOD-Vince will lessen!!!
Old 12-14-2006   #10
light
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom17 View Post
Wow, with those stats from Strahan from 1993 & 1994 then he must be a BUST!
thats his first two seasons in the league, he really didnt take off until '96
Old 12-14-2006   #11
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by light View Post
thats his first two seasons in the league, he really didnt take off until '96
Light- I know! I was being sarcastic with all of these "We should have pick Vince, or the slash2 aka Bush over Mario comments! I think if Stahan wouldn't have been injured-the Giants should have beaten the Cowboys or Titans, among others. Stahan + healthy = HAVOC on opposing Offenses!
Old 12-14-2006   #12
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantem View Post
He was only picked no 1 because he fit our needs at the time, what does the order he was picked in have to do with weather or not he is a good player?
You can read what you want out of my quote. My main point was when people mention Strahan's early career statistics and production you have to remember that Mario was the #1 pick overall. Strahan was not the #1 overall pick, thus Mario should be making more of an impact on the field than Strahan did Year One.

Quote:
Unfortunately, but we didn't pick Vince Young ( the living GOD), so we all need to move on & don't dwell on the past! Until the living GOD wins multiple Superbowls, then I will change my tune! We ALL gotta support Mario, 1st pick or not, this is not he's fault & he seems to want to become better! I have a feeling once Mario becomes better the sting from not drafting the living GOD-Vince will lessen!!!
Please leave Vince Young out of this. It really just outs you as a bitterman. He beat us, get over it. This is a Mario v Strahan thread. Because Mario was by definition, a reach, the organization will always be forced to deal with the multiple impact players they passed on to pick Mario. Mario could be better than Strahan for all we know. I already like his ability to play with pain and not further injure himself, and I think he could get a mean streak oneday. However, he was chosen #1 overall thus he is judged by a different standard than Strahan was.

Strahan ended up working out for the Giants as he developed over the years into the DE he is presently. Great story and a great smile. The fact is that Mario MUST develop into a Strahan level talent (not the longevity necessarily) in order to justify where the Texans took him. Period. Mario wasnt the only DE in the draft after all.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 12-14-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes, its brutally frank and difficult to accept, but there it is. And its the truth.
But nobody is saying Mario is going to be a bust. Not by a long-shot.
IMO Mario will be a good, maybe a very good NFL DLineman as long as his
career is not slowed down too much by injuries.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #14
Tayton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSaint8050 View Post
One word.... HA.....

We know, now go home.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayton View Post
We know, now go home.
Is that a 'Go Back To New Orleans' blast? If so, that is a first.
Old 12-14-2006   #16
light
Rookie

[quote=Second Honeymoon;537649]You can read what you want out of my quote. My main point was when people mention Strahan's early career statistics and production you have to remember that Mario was the #1 pick overall. Strahan was not the #1 overall pick, thus Mario should be making more of an impact on the field than Strahan did Year One.

Mario wasn't brought in to be an imediate impact, its not like we were going to make a run at the super bowl this year. he was obviously brought in to be a franchise player on defense. It's nearly impossible to aquire a big time defensive end from the free agency, unlike a rb.
Old 12-14-2006   #17
light
Rookie

Quote:
Light- I know! I was being sarcastic with all of these "We should have pick Vince, or the slash2 aka Bush over Mario comments! I think if Stahan wouldn't have been injured-the Giants should have beaten the Cowboys or Titans, among others. Stahan + healthy = HAVOC on opposing Offenses!
we know what we're talking about. did you use to play defense?
Old 12-14-2006   #18
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Alot of people say we should have traded down rather than pick Mario #1.. yet ive heard of no offer that we passed on.. just the opposite actually.. ive heard that no one in the top 5 offered any worthwhile trade, and if we had traded out of the top 5, we wouldnt have gotten Bush, Williams, or Young.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
Alot of people say we should have traded down rather than pick Mario #1.. yet ive heard of no offer that we passed on
"The Jets made small efforts to try to trade up to 2 for Bush (we offered our 2 1st round picks and our 2nd rounder but the Saints wanted at least another 1st round pick)"
http://www.jetnation.com/forums/show...t=26325&page=4

According to the above post on the Jets MB, it was common knowledge up there that the Jets tried to work out a deal with the Saints for Bush, and offered their 2 first (#4 & #29 overall) and their 2nd round pick, but the Saints wanted more.
That same deal had to also be there for the Texans before they made their choice.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #20
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

not necessarily.. the Jets probably didnt make that offer until we took Williams.. there is fairly large difference in worth between the first and second pick.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read