Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-14-2006   #1
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Best Free Agent Linebacker 2007

I would love to see eiither Adalius Thomas or Lance Briggs on our team next year. Adalius Thomas is a beast, he has 10 sacks as a situational 4-3 OLB blitzer this season for Baltimore. We had hoped to see similar production from Jason Babin and Antwan Peek.

Adalius Thomas stands 6'2 270lbs similar to Babin. Best part is he can play in 3-4 or 4-3 just as effectively. He can also play DE and situational DT in certain situations. Thomas is also very athletic and good in coverage of wide receiver or TE.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #2
ryansisgod
Veteran

Default Re: Best Free Agent Linebacker 2007

if we dont either get briggs or thomas...if they become available...this year i'll be convinced that the Texans F.O is run by monkeys.
ryansisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #3
dbspi
Veteran

Three players I like to see added this off season in free agency

1. Adalius Thomas (OLB) - 6'2 270lbs
2. Nate Clements (CB) or the CB from NE
3. Terdell Sands (DT) from Oakland --- 6'7 335 - 4 year veteran from Chattanooga.
(Good in running and passing down, he can really go after the QB as well. I believe he had 1 sack and numerous pressures against Carr in Oakland.) He is back up in Oakland who will become free agent this off season.

With these acquitions our defense is set. We can draft FS in the draft. This will allow Kubiak to spend all other picks on offense come draft day. OL, RB, QB, etc.,

Last edited by dbspi; 12-14-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-14-2006   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansisgod View Post
if we dont either get briggs or thomas...if they become available...this year i'll be convinced that the Texans F.O is run by monkeys.

Shouldn't you say go for instead of get. FA is exactly that. The agent is free to move about the league and decide where he wants to go. We can offer the world to someone and if they don't want to be here they wont come.

However this is that year 5 that we were told we would be very active in the FA market.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #5
ryansisgod
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Shouldn't you say go for instead of get. FA is exactly that. The agent is free to move about the league and decide where he wants to go. We can offer the world to someone and if they don't want to be here they wont come.

However this is that year 5 that we were told we would be very active in the FA market.
yeah thats what i meant, thanks for correcting me.
ryansisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #6
dbspi
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post

True, but you don't know what kind of power money has on people.
Old 12-14-2006   #7
austintexanite
All Pro

I'd take Thomas, Briggs second. Both are great players, but I think Thomas has a bigger upside since he can play so many positions and help out in virtually every package.
austintexanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2006   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Who has the bigger impact on their team right now? I am asking because Briggs has Urlacher right next to him.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #9
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

My concern with Thomas is he seems to be more of a 3-4 lb (and we have plenty of those already), and too big to be an everydown lb for a 4-3. Your Thoughts?
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #10
brewhaus
All Pro

Kato June is a free agent in '07.

Quoting Football's Future:
Recent legal trouble could hurt his stock, but June was a first time starter in the Pro Bowl this past season. Heís relatively young and a tackling machine, so itís likely that the Colts will do what they can to retain his talents. Thereís good chance that June hits the market, though, to see what other organizations have to offer him financially; the Colts inability to reach the Super Bowl may also factor into a decision to leave. Juneís not an overpowering player, so a team interested in him will be looking at utilizing his speed as a top priority, in the same way that the Colts have done. June will be the most sought after linebacker on the market, and perhaps the most sought after defensive player.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/...eagentsLB.html

Anyone know what the legal trouble is?
Old 12-14-2006   #11
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

My pick would be Briggs. He's 6'1", 240 lbs. and he's coming into the prime of his career. He's 12th in the NFL in total tackles with 106 and 89 solo tackles, and he has 1 sack, 2 ints., and 8 passes defenced. The only problem is, I think Chicago will probably resign him before he hits the market. They'd be crazy not to. The same might happen with Thomas, but less likely, so he may be the better target. But if Briggs hits the market, I would go after him first with everything I had! JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

June, Thomas and Briggs have all been with thier teams since coming into the NFL. It'll take a boatload to get them to leave thier teams. Unless thier teams do not want them, which is unlikely. If I had to choose, it'd be Briggs. That guy is just nast on the field. I wouldn't be against picking a LB with our first pick this coming draft either.
Old 12-14-2006   #13
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus View Post
Kato June is a free agent in '07.

Quoting Football's Future:
Recent legal trouble could hurt his stock, but June was a first time starter in the Pro Bowl this past season. Heís relatively young and a tackling machine, so itís likely that the Colts will do what they can to retain his talents. Thereís good chance that June hits the market, though, to see what other organizations have to offer him financially; the Colts inability to reach the Super Bowl may also factor into a decision to leave. Juneís not an overpowering player, so a team interested in him will be looking at utilizing his speed as a top priority, in the same way that the Colts have done. June will be the most sought after linebacker on the market, and perhaps the most sought after defensive player.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/...eagentsLB.html

Anyone know what the legal trouble is?
Cato June was arrested on June 13, 2006 for failing to appear in court on a driving while suspended charge. June was released from the Boone County Jail on $500 bond and is awaiting trial.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #14
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbspi View Post

3. Terdell Sands (DT) from Oakland --- 6'7 335 - 4 year veteran from Chattanooga.
(Good in running and passing down, he can really go after the QB as well. I believe he had 1 sack and numerous pressures against Carr in Oakland.) He is back up in Oakland who will become free agent this off season.

With these acquitions our defense is set. We can draft FS in the draft. This will allow Kubiak to spend all other picks on offense come draft day. OL, RB, QB, etc.,
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Joey Porter is probably gonna be made available this offseason. Unsure whether restricted or unrestricted. He would bring an attitutde to this defense and he would surely give Mario a good kick in the pants and maybe give him more of a mean streak....something he SORELY needs...he is older but if his attitude rubbed off it would be a great thing.

Nate Clements is the obvious jewel this offseason but we would have to back up TWO Brinks trucks to get him to come to our presently woeful franchise....but it COULD happen...shoot for the moon, I always say

Clements, Porter, a veteran QB, and some OL depth would be an INCREDIBLE offseason via FA. McNair knows he needs to do something for us fans.
Old 12-14-2006   #16
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

If we get Thomas or Briggs
and/or Clements or Asante Samuel

Our defense, at full strength with no injuries, will be a top 10 defense.
Old 12-14-2006   #17
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Briggs won't sign with the bears again, cause the bears don't have enough money, i'd rather have briggs that thomas, imagine Briggs and Ryans, with greenwood, have 3, 100+ tacklers on the team, thats would be nice
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #18
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbspi View Post

Brother, if we could get that haul plus add a Peterson and maybe a Troy Smith..whoah - I'd lose my mind. Hopefully, they go STRONG after these guys and screw it - overpay. We have a cap - overpay the damn guys and get them here.

I'd probably throw Briggs in rather than Thomas but either way.
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Joey Porter is probably gonna be made available this offseason. Unsure whether restricted or unrestricted.
Porter is signed thru the 2008 season. He is far past eligibility for RFA.
Old 12-14-2006   #20
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansisgod View Post
If we sign a good CB to pair with Dunta or another QB and don't have enough money left over to sign a LB, will the front office still be full of monkey's? It takes the FA to want to come to the team as well. The Texans can try as hard as they want, but if a player doesn't want to sign with a team that's his choice not ours.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read