Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-06-2004   #1
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro
Default best QB in the AFC north

pretty simple question who do you think is and will be the best in their division?

palmer...awesome talent...in a few years one of the best young QB's in the NFL
boller...don't think will put the pieces together just quite right
rothlisberger...learning curve is rising quick...will be the best soon
garcia...best now...but not for long

honestly in three years i think the top young guns in the league will be Carr, Big Ben, Vick, Pennington
Old 10-06-2004   #2
TexanDrifter
Rookie

Compared to say the AFC South, those are four pretty underwhelming QBs right now. I based my list on how they've done this year and what is expected of them.

1)Rothlisberger: Playing very good Dilfer ball. He isn't lighting anyone up, but he isn't losing games with his play. Don't know how much he'll grow, don't really see the Steelers opening it up much.
2)Garcia: Besides opening day he's been very average, maybe slightly below it. He's probably playing his way very close to retirement.
3)Palmer: So far it looks like the Bengals should have sat him for a year and let Kitna start, maybe they'd have another shot at the playoffs while Palmer learned the system. Then again...what do I know compared to the football genius guys that run the Bengals? I imagine he'll be decent in the long run.
4)Boller: Can't even play very good Dilfer ball. The Ravens win inspite of him starting. I can see the Ravens replacing him with a safe vetern sometime in the future.
TexanDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #3
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think Ben is going to be the best out of all of those QBs. Palmer will be pretty good too once he gets more experience. I'm not ready to call Boller a mistake just yet since he's only in his second season and coming off an injury. He's got a great arm, but he seems to be lacking in the leadership area. Who can blame him when he's got Ray Lewis on his team? Garcia is good, but he'll be hanging it up in a couple years. So don't forget Luke McCown on the Browns. He's a talented QB, and he could be pretty good in a few years. By omitting Garcia (due to his age his best years are behind him) here's my list of the young gun QBs in the AFC North.

1. Big Ben
2. Carson Palmer
3. Luke McCown
4. Kyle Boller
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #4
DavidCarr_Fan8
Rookie

1. Garcia
2. Big Ben
3. Carson Palmer
4. Boller

I think Garcia is the best right now, he can run, throw....Ben and Carson Palmer will both be good young solid QB's in a couple years....Boller, I don't think has the talent now, so I am putting him last and maybe in a couple of years either Ben or Palmer, or even both will be at the top of the list, but for now I am putting Jeff Garcia at the top, it has to be him.

www.PigSkinHeaven.com
DavidCarr_Fan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #5
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what's wrong with Garcia this year but he's always been a good QB so I'll say him and guess that he's spending too much time with his Playmate girlfriend to play good football right now.

Big Ben is going to be very, very good. I like that guy alot.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #6
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

How can Kyle Boller be list at the bottom!? He can throw a football 55 yards on one knee!!!
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #7
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

Currently:
1. Boller
2. Garcia
3. Ben
4. Palmer

In 2 years:
1. Boller
2. Ben
3. Palmer
4. Garcia

Still think the Bengals should have Kitna as the starter

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2004   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowBoutThemCowboys!
Currently:
1. Boller
2. Garcia
3. Ben
4. Palmer

In 2 years:
1. Boller
2. Ben
3. Palmer
4. Garcia

Still think the Bengals should have Kitna as the starter
You need to put a sarcasm alert on that ranking of Boller at #1, at least for now.
Old 10-07-2004   #9
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
How can Kyle Boller be list at the bottom!? He can throw a football 55 yards on one knee!!!
I can't speak for the rest of the people that put him at the bottom of his list, but he just hasn't shown the leadership or composure at Cal or thus far in Baltimore. I mentioned he had a lot of talent, and a very strong arm. However, unless the NFL changes the rules and allows the QB to throw the ball from his knees threw the goal posts to score a TD then Boller isn't going to top my list. Palmer, McCown, and Big Ben all have pretty strong arms too. Big Ben seems to have most of the 'intangibles' that teams want in a QB. McCown was a good leader at Louisiana Tech, and Palmer has shown leadership at USC but hasn't shown it with Cincinatti. Palmer has all the physical skills and size, and he's seemed relatively comfortable in his first few games this season. Can't say the same for Boller.

*edit* Geeze my sarcasm sensor must be jammed. Didn't pick up on that one at all.

Last edited by texasguy346; 10-07-2004 at 12:24 AM.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
On Huge's behalf--for all that follow--SARCASM ALERT!
Old 10-07-2004   #11
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

What the heck are you talking about?

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #12
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Reminds me of a quote (don't remember who) about Dan Pastorini when he got to Houston.

"He can throw a ball through a forth story window, yeah, but his receiver is on the third floor" ......or something to that effect.
Old 10-09-2004   #13
BengalBrian
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanDrifter
3)Palmer: So far it looks like the Bengals should have sat him for a year and let Kitna start, maybe they'd have another shot at the playoffs while Palmer learned the system. Then again...what do I know compared to the football genius guys that run the Bengals? I imagine he'll be decent in the long run.
Umm.. Palmer DID sit last year..

My picks

1. Palmer
2. Big Ben
3. Garcia
4. Boller
Old 10-10-2004   #14
CrumplerFan
Rookie

Hm, with their current performance
1. Ben Roethl
2. Carson Palm
3. J. Garcia
4. K. Boller

overall i would say that the best current package to play now is Garcia, although he isn't having any chemistry with his receivers. Ben /Carson are lacking playing time but they both will become dependable starters sometime. In case of boller i'm not sure, if he isn't a wasted talent with this kind of team. everything they want him to do is avoid turnovers and complete short throws. He could do more...

I just checked their stats. Therefore i should switch Palmer and Boller. But i keep that ranking, because Palmer has to throw a lot more with his defence giving up points in bunches, meanwhile Boller can sit back and try avoiding errors, not being forced to win games.
CrumplerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004   #15
CrumplerFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
pretty simple question who do you think is and will be the best in their division?

palmer...awesome talent...in a few years one of the best young QB's in the NFL
boller...don't think will put the pieces together just quite right
rothlisberger...learning curve is rising quick...will be the best soon
garcia...best now...but not for long

honestly in three years i think the top young guns in the league will be Carr, Big Ben, Vick, Pennington
Pennigton is already 28 (6/26/1976) and in 3 years therefore 31, not a top young gun.

Big Ben, Byron Leftwich, Vick (then 27) are my choices
CrumplerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004   #16
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

boller to me had the cocky attitude that baltimore loved...yeah he can throw the ball 55yds on one knee but so can a lot of the other QB's in this league..and being able to do that doesn't make you a good QB...honestly i think boller was hyped up a little too much in his draft year...without any solid reciever and with jammal lewis leaving soon this team has gone from a playoff hopefull to a top 10 draft pick in my opinion...which might be a blessing in disguise for them because with that high of a pick they will have a chance at the reciever they desperately need...i.e. mike williams
Old 10-10-2004   #17
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
Reminds me of a quote (don't remember who) about Dan Pastorini when he got to Houston.

"He can throw a ball through a forth story window, yeah, but his receiver is on the third floor" ......or something to that effect.
Hadn't heard that before ... it's funny!

But to answer about best QB in AFC N .... Big Ben is my answer, and Pittsburgh will rule that division this year..
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read