Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2006   #1
Htown'sfinest
Rookie

Default Backround on David Carr

David Carr is a product of Jeff Tedford the coach at Cal.Tedford is really good with quarterbacks. All of the quarterbacks that he coached throw a really good ball and have great mechanics. Therefore the NFL has been all over them drafting most of them in the first round. If you have never seen the list of quarterbacks that Tedford coached here it is.

Trent Dilfer
Billy Volek
David Carr
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Kyle Boller
Aaron Rodgers
AJ Feeley

6 of these guys went in the first round.Now my question for you guys is......Do you notice anything about the names on this list??? They are all guys who ultimately got traded or assumed a backup role. I will let you guys make of this what you will.
Htown'sfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #2
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default Re: Backround on David Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown'sfinest View Post
David Carr is a product of Jeff Tedford the coach at Cal.Tedford is really good with quarterbacks. All of the quarterbacks that he coached throw a really good ball and have great mechanics. Therefore the NFL has been all over them drafting most of them in the first round. If you have never seen the list of quarterbacks that Tedford coached here it is.

Trent Dilfer
Billy Volek
David Carr
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Kyle Boller
Aaron Rodgers
AJ Feeley

6 of these guys went in the first round.Now my question for you guys is......Do you notice anything about the names on this list??? They are all guys who ultimately got traded or assumed a backup role. I will let you guys make of this what you will.
...probably a system similar to the run and shoot with Ware (Heisman winner) and the Klinger brothers or Leach's TTech QBs that get drafted but have never done anything in the pros... Carr threw most of his passes to 2 WR's his SR YR...a lot of repetition/a lot of disquising the same play/very little decision making
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #3
K.D.
Veteran

If it quacks like a duck, guess what, it's a duck. j/k. DC is my boy, but man it's getting harder and harder to defend him. It's totally not all of his fault but being the QB, it comes with the territory. Another solid draft and FA, Kubiak at the healm, I think the guy can do what we expect/wishes he can do, if not I have no problem moving in another direction. Draft a QB in later rounds this year, keep carr as signal caller next yr, groom Kolb into the mold Kubiak wants him and for the last year of DC contract, them 2 yrs should be enuf evidence in which way we are going for that 3rd and final yr.
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

IIRC, Carr was recruited by Tedford but wasn't technically a Tedford QB because Tedford left before Carr played.

Some Fresno guy can probably correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12-13-2006   #5
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

How could Joey Harrington and David Carr both be coached by Tedford if they played at the same time on two different teams?
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #6
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Newsflash : QBs from the West Coast colleges that are not in the Pac-10 always suck.
Old 12-13-2006   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Newsflash : QBs from the West Coast colleges that are not in the Pac-10 always suck.
You are the Brian Fantana of the Texans' News Team. Stay classy dftw.
Old 12-13-2006   #8
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Draft QBs from PA. or QBs who are coaches sons .
Old 12-13-2006   #9
NFLforher
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post

Newsflash: Carr was recruited by the Pac-10.
NFLforher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

So why did'nt he go ?
Old 12-13-2006   #11
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 411 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLforher View Post
Newsflash: Carr was recruited by the Pac-10.
Very highly to,

And all those guys were never up for the hiesman finished 5th and he was still at m small school, win as many awards, get drafted #1 or throw for 4,000 yards and 40 TDs in 1 year, thats why they are different from Carr.............

Just save your fingers and type in our many threads why he sucks.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #12
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 411 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
So why did'nt he go ?
He is from there, the Valley.
Old 12-13-2006   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

I bet he killed SMU his senior year .
Old 12-13-2006   #14
NFLforher
All Pro

Quote:
So why did'nt he go ?

He's from the valley and watched the dogs since he was growing up.
NFLforher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #15
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I bet he killed SMU his senior year .
Quote:
David Carr threw for four touchdowns and 292
yards as Fresno State won its second straight with a 38-13
victory over Southern Methodist.
Quote:
Carr completed 25-of-37 passes but just missed registering his
seventh 300-yard passing game of the season. Wright had seven
receptions for 91 yards while Berrian caught four for 72 yards.
He did not finish the game and he was not sacked, interesting about not being sacked and the outcome.
Old 12-13-2006   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember something about Tedford leaving Fresno early in Carr's career and going to coach Harrington. I could be wrong but don't really care.
Old 12-13-2006   #17
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I remember something about Tedford leaving Fresno early in Carr's career and going to coach Harrington. I could be wrong but don't really care.
Nor should you. Thanks for the laugh.

Vince Lombardi
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #18
Htown'sfinest
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
That's a really good question. I did note the thread starter has but one, full, entire post. Sounds like someone is doggin' the board.

Nope.....not doggin. Tedford recruited Carr early and then left for Oregon.No big secret but it is true........and yes I do have only one post.Should that matter?? I am not making it up! Just found it to be interesting.
Htown'sfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #19
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I believe that is correct. Tedford taught Carr and then later left and went North. Carr almost left and went with him as I remember. Tedford played QB at Fresno State and later was an outstanding QB in the Canadian Football League. He set a number of records while playing in Canada. Tedford knows how to stretch the football field and knows how to teach his players to throw the long ball.

When Tedford played for FSU (Fresno State) he had a pair of WR's by the name of Henry Ellard and Stephan Page to throw to. I think you know these two guys turned out to be halfway decent NFL players. Teams played deep zones, but they could not believe a QB could throw the ball as far as Tedford could on the money. It was a site to behold when those 3 played on the same ball club.

Jim Sweeny was a perfectionist when it came to his WR's running passing routes. That is why Page developed into an outstanding WR. Ellard was a high hurrdler who had unbelievable hands. That team also had a 50 plus yard field goal kicker and a very good RB. That team could have played anybody in the nation that year and given them more than a run for their money. They were going to score a lot of points against any one they played against and did. For a period of time FSU became known as WR U.

I'm amused by all of the nonsense at news conferences and in the Chronicle. Since I don't live in Houston I don't listen to 610 or other Houston sports shows that often. I do read the Chronicle some, but I haven't heard that many comments by David about his team. I don't think you really hear much negativism out of him, but we certainly hear it from a lot of others.

I noticed some of you are questioning Greenwood's skills. I find it interesting since it seems like one of his chief praisers is Kubiak. I would assume Kubiak is telling us the truth in the news conferences. If he is why would you question Greenwood's ability.

What is funny about all of this is the Texans are a team that never has had a decent O-line. It is a team that never has had decent receivers until this year. Even this year the receivers are having troubles separating themselves from the defenders. Until the last two games we have not had a running game this year. Given all of the above I sometimes wonder what the QB is suppose to do?

While I would love to see David remain a Texan I certainly stated before the draft that I thought David was in a no win situation and I think the Texans have done him a very big disservice. I don't think it was intentional I just think people were stupid to think that anyone other than VY was going to make this group of fans happy. It didn't matter what happened, because David was going to be able to do no right. Its like having a bad marriage there is nothing you can do to make it right.

The person who should be thanking his lucky stars is VY. He wound up under an outstanding HC and a great QB coach. The young man needed that in order to develop. He has had the opposite opportunity of Carr. All of you VY fans should be eternally greatful to Bob McNair and David Carr. Their decisions will probably result in VY becoming a great QB.

Some of you have speculated that Carr might wind up in Chicago. I find that interesting as Berrian, who is injured, caught 25% of the passes thrown by Carr in his senior year. Berrian was only a sophmore at the time. He got injured the following year and never matched his sophmore year. This year he was starting to have an impact for Chicago. I would think Carr would love the opportunity to be reunited with Bernard.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #20
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
If Carr was with Fresno in 2k5 and faced against Vince and the Longhorns. Carr would of got pwned.
Grammar Police! Pull to the side of the boards and be prepared to show your license, registration and IP address.

Since we're making stuff up here I posit that were Vince playing with Fresno in 2005 and playing against Vince and the Longhorns, the first Vince would lose to the latter Vince, and rather handily at that. The Longhorns were the National Champions in 2005. They beat everyone. What exactly is the point of your post other than finding a way to inject Vince and/or the Longhorns into this thread?

No offense intended. I should add "pwned" to the list of things I'm sick and tired of. That's hacker slang and it bugs me because hackers by nature are programmers. I've done some programming and if you misspell anything, or even get the syntax wrong, your code will crash when you try to compile it.

It just bugs me. That and the hacker-inspired using of numbers for letters as if th4t's c00l. Or mIXinG CaSEs when it's not a password. What a bunch of dopes. Sorry. I'm way off-topic. It's late and I'm posting when I should be sleeping.

End of rant.

Vince Lombardi
bad is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read