Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2006   #1
ib4texans
Veteran

Default Kubiak, Is he a controll freak?

As a head coach is that what you see his personality as?

I was looking over some of the quotes from the game. In essence Titans HC Jeff Fisher said " Sometimes I just sit back and let him do his VY thing".

Coach Kubiak
“We don’t check very much in our scheme we feel like the things we call adjust to what’s going on. As far as him having a ton of freedom at the line of scrimmage, it doesn’t operate that way. We will check out of bad plays, but just to go out there and say, ‘Do whatever you want to do,’ we’re not at that point yet, but we’ll get there someday.

I'm not asking for a bash thread; I just want to know what's the take on his personality.
ib4texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak, Is he a controll freak?

I understand you are not bashing and asking a real question...

I think its more experience in dealing with the media... Jeff has been at it for 14 years as a head coach dealing with the media and answering questions and Kubes has always been behind the scenes. That could be part of it OR Jeff knows that he has VY who will make a play and Kubes doesn't want DC to make a mistake... Last it could be a combination of both things...
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jeff Fisher is working with the most uniquely talented QB in football right now. VY doesn't have the best arm, the best accuracy, or the best running ability, but somehow he gets it done. When your working with someone like that, it makes sense to let him be him. Its theonly way to get your worth.

Remember when Mora tried to micromanage Vick? It doesn't work with athletic improvisational QBs

Carr on the other hand has no uniqueness, and even worse, he lacks desire. As such, he relies on Kubes to call his shots
Old 12-13-2006   #4
real

I think his comments are based on the limitations of his QB...
Old 12-13-2006   #5
ib4texans
Veteran

O'Boy I got 1 post and then we go QB bashing. I bet he was controlling with Plummer as well.
Old 12-13-2006   #6
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

ib4texans, I think you bolded the wrong section. What stood out to me is when Kubiak said "We will check out of bad plays, but just to go out there and say, ‘Do whatever you want to do,’ we’re not at that point yet, but we’ll get there someday." The issue isn't control as much as it is trust.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #7
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

is he a control freak, no.

take Kubiaks comments on Demeco Ryans and how quickly he is picking up the defensive scheme's and absorbing things like a sponge and how well Kubiak likes that, for an example of non-controlling.

you don't see comments like that coming from Kubiak about Carr. Hence the need to babysit Carr's playcalling ability's on a micro managing level. How many other Offensive Co-oridinators/ Head Coach's have we seen in the past doing the same thing in an attempt to protect Carr from himself?

Every single one of them have. but of course that isn't Carr's fault either, right?
Old 12-13-2006   #8
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib4texans View Post
O'Boy I got 1 post and then we go QB bashing. I bet he was controlling with Plummer as well.
Quote:
we’re not at that point yet, but we’ll get there someday.

I'm not sure how that comment isn't taken as him knowing his QB has limitations in the "knowledge" area when it comes to that....

Thats not bashing Carr....A lot of QB's are limited in this manor....I was just stating what I thought to be fairly obvious...
Old 12-13-2006   #9
ib4texans
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan View Post
is he a control freak, no.

take Kubiaks comments on Demeco Ryans and how quickly he is picking up the defensive scheme's and absorbing things like a sponge and how well Kubiak likes that, for an example of non-controlling.

you don't see comments like that coming from Kubiak about Carr. Hence the need to babysit Carr's playcalling ability's on a micro managing level. How many other Offensive Co-oridinators/ Head Coach's have we seen in the past doing the same thing in an attempt to protect Carr from himself?

Every single one of them have. but of course that isn't Carr's fault either, right?

I don't think that the defense is something he wants control of.

Take a look at RB position, Dayne was doing great against the Titans. Midway through the 3rd quarter no more Dayne. We go to Lundy, he had his best play of the game and then nothing. Does Dayne come back in? No, why ? Because Kubiak is in charge and he pre determined before the game that Dayne would get a share of the carries.

I like Kubiak,he's lite years better than Capers. I just think he's got to loosen the grips a little and see what happens. At this point in the season Carr can either hurt himself or help himself.
Old 12-13-2006   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

please don't blame me IB4texans... Notice how prefaced my original post...

But it is high time that you learn it will ALWAYS come back to bashing DC(whether bluntly or backhandedly) as long as he is in a Texans uni... Resign yourself to that and avoid starting any threads that could lead to it (which I know on this board is near impossible)...

Start a thread like "Was Kubiak a control freak as an OC in Denver".... Of course that would only bring out the people who want Plummerhere and naturally that would evolve into DC bashing.... so bad idea there, too...

Sorry, I guess it just wont work either...
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #11
ib4texans
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I'm not sure how that comment isn't taken as him knowing his QB has limitations in the "knowledge" area when it comes to that....

Thats not bashing Carr....A lot of QB's are limited in this manor....I was just stating what I thought to be fairly obvious...

I think that it's obvious,in some points of the game we lack play calling ability that fits the situaiton. I'm willing to admit that hopefully by next year he will make the adjustments.
Old 12-13-2006   #12
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
At this point in the season Carr can either hurt himself or help himself.

at this point in the 65+ game of the Carr era I don't think Carr can help himself, I KNOW he couldn't hurt himself anyworse, but I also KNOW he could hurt the Team ALOT more if he were turned lose and given any more control than he is realistically able to handle. Which is evidently very, very, very little.
Old 12-13-2006   #13
ib4texans
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
please don't blame me IB4texans... Notice how prefaced my original post...

But it is high time that you learn it will ALWAYS come back to bashing DC(whether bluntly or backhandedly) as long as he is in a Texans uni... Resign yourself to that and avoid starting any threads that could lead to it (which I know on this board is near impossible)...

Start a thread like "Was Kubiak a control freak as an OC in Denver".... Of course that would only bring out the people who want Plummerhere and naturally that would evolve into DC bashing.... so bad idea there, too...

Sorry, I guess it just wont work either...

Don't I know it! Sometimes I'll start a thread that deals strictly with Defense,it turns out to be DC fault for not keeping them of the field.

I will say at least these guys didn't go on a rant, and I appreciate them for that.
Old 12-13-2006   #14
ib4texans
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan View Post

at this point in the 65+ game of the Carr era I don't think Carr can help himself, I KNOW he couldn't hurt himself anyworse, but I also KNOW he could hurt the Team ALOT more if he were turned lose and given any more control than he is realistically able to handle. Which is evidently very, very, very little.

I don't know last year against the Rams & Cardinals he did a fairly good job, with an offense that wasn't functioning as capably as this years.

I didn't say turn him loose, I said "loosen the grip a little bit".
Old 12-13-2006   #15
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but Shannahan is known as a control freak and everything Gary learned about being a HC, he learned from Mike. I think most of us felt we'd see the Denver 'influence' from Kubiak but not so much of it so quick.

From his early talks to the media and fans, Kubiak gave the impression being the Texans HC was going to be a 'walk in the park.'...wrong. It may be a 'blessing' for us that everything that can go wrong as a HC with an NFL team has for Gary-now, we can only hope he has learned from these mistakes and makes better/effective decisions in the future.

Once the 'dust' has settled, I suspect that Kubiak will give players that produce all the 'rope' they can handle. Too, I don't think Kubiak is going to be so quick to expect players to fit 'his' system, as he probably wishes he'd had a few back this year. Veteran leadership-especially those that willingly share their knowledge/experience with others-will be looked at in a 'different' light. More than ever, Kubiak knows he can't do it 'all', nor can his coaches be 'all' things to all players all the time, so a player that can help get a 'point' across or just simplify a concept, will be appreciated.

JMO, but we will probably never know the 'toll' that trying to turn Carr around has taken on Gary this year, especially failing to get Carr to the next level--but, if it's over, it needs to be over.

My regret? IMO, there was an imbalance in Carr between making decisions that would increase the likelihood of his failure(mistakes) vs his successes. For example, was there a greater reward from the coach for completing 2 of 3 passes for 9 yds instead of 1 of 3 for 50? Was it a 'catch-22' scenario for Carr in that-sure, you can make a long throw-but it better get caught by the right team.

Kubiak's answer for zero vertical passing game was a lack of confidence in Carr to succeed, yet how was Carr going to get better if he never tried...maybe its just me, but I;m missing something here...
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #16
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Personally, and this is just my opinion...

I don't think Kubiak has confidence in his team as a whole. I think he is calling the shots from the side lines and maybe allot of those calls are for the dink and dunk pass that we so dislike. But it moves the ball down the field, just not as far as we want it... But that is just me...
Old 12-13-2006   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

There is a missing link and depending on what side of the fence your on ... be it Carr or the OL its the putty used to fill in the cracks .

I think we wait and see what happens this offseason and that will clear things up .
Old 12-13-2006   #18
Texan1
Veteran

Thumbs down Re: Kubiak, Is he a controll freak?

Kibes may be a control freak - so what? Belichick is one too, don't see anyone complaining about him.

And don't kid yourself - Jeff Fisher is a control guy too. Before you talk about how smart Fisher is - keep in mind he wanted to PASS on Vince. Bud INSISTED he take Vince. Fisher was lucky to have someone step in and save himself from the NFL combine stupidty which hosed the Texans.
Texan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #19
Zo Mourning
Die Hard

That is what being a coach is having control of your team and gameplan.
Zo Mourning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #20
BobbleTexan
Rookie

Rep Power: 13 BobbleTexan was voted MVPBobbleTexan was voted MVPBobbleTexan was voted MVPBobbleTexan was voted MVPBobbleTexan was voted MVP

Quote:
I don't think that the defense is something he wants control of.

Take a look at RB position, Dayne was doing great against the Titans. Midway through the 3rd quarter no more Dayne. We go to Lundy, he had his best play of the game and then nothing. Does Dayne come back in? No, why ? Because Kubiak is in charge and he pre determined before the game that Dayne would get a share of the carries.

I like Kubiak,he's lite years better than Capers. I just think he's got to loosen the grips a little and see what happens. At this point in the season Carr can either hurt himself or help himself.
I believe RONNY hurt his hand at some point in the game and that is why he was not in game. Could not hold ball.....
BobbleTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read