Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-12-2006   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Would you draft Gaines Adams for the Texans?

Let's say we have the 6th or 7th overall pick and the best player available is Gaines Adams? Would you draft him? I think I would. Mario and Adams as DEs, move Weaver to DT, and you have a very, very solid (potentially great) O-line.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #2
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88
Default Re: Would you draft Gaines Adams for the Texans?

I wouldnt, I really dont feel like dropping another $30 million on DL.
Old 12-12-2006   #3
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
I wouldnt, I really dont feel like dropping another $30 million on DL.
No. If he is really BPA which I doubt he will be, I trade down. I don't want another 1st round D-linemen yet. I'll give it to you that TJ sucks, but I'm holding judgement on Babin yet. Mario will be fine. I just hope our FO isn't foolish enough to draft another DE in the first.
Old 12-13-2006   #4
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Is the big tackle from Michigan still on the board ? Alan Branch looks like a prety fair player. I like Gains Adams a lot. But I hate to take positions back to back. Remeber, just about the only way you shake Manning up is with pressure up the middle.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #5
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Let's say we have the 6th or 7th overall pick and the best player available is Gaines Adams? Would you draft him? I think I would. Mario and Adams as DEs, move Weaver to DT, and you have a very, very solid (potentially great) O-line.

Moving Weaver to DT full time would be a mistake IMO. He is just to light in the trunk and would be overpowered in most run situations. Especially late in games.

I am fine with Branch at that pick if we go DL, and give Travis Johnson one more year to prove himself. But we have seemed to better production from the guys we got from the street than the guys who started the year at DT.

Also I have not seen Adams play but have read that he is not big on playing the run. I would rather have a huge DT that plays the run great and will provide a big push in the middle of the DL before another DE.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
"from the guys we got from the street than the guys who started the year at DT.

Also I have not seen Adams play but have read that he is not big on playing the run. I would rather have a huge DT that plays the run great and will provide a big push in the middle of the DL before another DE.

Shhhh...some of us are still floating on DaNile with T.J.

Well I still got the Clemson -Wake forest Game Tivoed. Believe it was Wake Forest..STBC. He singal handedly literaly snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in that game. Broke through the line...Blocked the kick..took the ball away from the Wake Forest Holder..then raced 65 yards or so for the game winner. Don't know if the superman cape will translate in the NFL....But someone is going to pick that guy high. It'd be nice. But have my rathers ...rather have the big boddied DT to keep the wolves off of Demeeeco.
Old 12-13-2006   #7
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

championship teams build their clubs around the d-line. if adams is there and no one else is, why not? that'll be a helluva challenge for the opposing team to face week in and week out.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2006   #8
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Team's weakest link is D Secondary. I think you need to go there or OLB.
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #9
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Well, if he's BPA and we can't trade down...then yeah...and about Weaver playing DT...i'd do that only if it meant us getting a run stopper in the middle, but I wouldn't recommend it.

OLB - Willis all the way!
CB - Hall or Hughes
OT - Thomas
OG - Blalock
RB - Peterson or Lynch
Old 12-13-2006   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the Texans would have to take a look @ Gaines Adams he is a top 5 prospect for a reason & the Texans lack that kind of disruptive speed on the edge. But depends where the Texans pick & what can be accomplished via free agency. he would balance the end position, Texans will need to also address the interior of the line, maybe Amobi Okoye will slip to the 2nd pick (doubt it) then the Texans would have the best, youngest defensive line in the entire NFL & at least one area of the team would be solidfied

while I don't think the Texans will have the patience (or the fans) for this kind of move or trading down & passing on one of the elite talents, ideally the best thing they could do is package a deal to trade down & pick up more picks, maybe in the process also move Carr. thinking about it I would be most happy if the Texans could draft both Laron Landry & Troy Smith then address the D & O Lines with additional/latter rd. picks

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

after giving it some thought a very realistic scenero indeed is the Texans feel that the ends in place (Babin/Peek) give them enough speed off the edge, that the most serious need on the D-Line needs to be @ the interior of the line & IF Alan Branch, DT Michigan comes out early he would be a great fit. Branch has ideal size for the position & another gifted athlete for his size ( 0606 330lbs). then make another splash with their 2nd rd. pick RB Michael Bush, Louisville (6020 248 lbs) sound familar....see a pattern

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-13-2006   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

With the new Mock that's been put up...would you spend the points to move up and get Branch ? From 6/8th to forth ? Had a points thing up but it didn't get thumbtacked.
Old 12-13-2006   #13
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Is the big tackle from Michigan still on the board ? Alan Branch looks like a prety fair player. I like Gains Adams a lot. But I hate to take positions back to back. Remeber, just about the only way you shake Manning up is with pressure up the middle.

If I am drafting a D-linemen with the 1st pick (which I don't think we will, but I have been wrong before), but Branch is who I would want. A big, athletic DT to line up next to Mario. Teams wouldn't be able to double them (would be very similiar to Peppers and Jenkins for the Panthers).
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Team's weakest link is D Secondary. I think you need to go there or OLB.
Helping the pass rush also helps the secondary.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Helping the pass rush also helps the secondary.
And we've bennifited so much this year.
Old 12-13-2006   #16
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Depends on who else is on the board...even if Gaines is the BPA.

It would be a nice tandem though, Gaines and Mario.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #17
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
And we've bennifited so much this year.
Come on now, Mario has been hurt and was a very slow starter. He was overwhelmed the first 4 weeks. Once they put him in one place and gave him a script, he has been OK. If the danged foot and a lot of double teams had not slowed him down. Put a huge body athletic type next to Mario and watch QBs and O linemen become happy footed ferrets. Mario would move to double digit sacks and the interior will become a place teams avoid.

I agree if we get lucky we get Amobi Okoye in the second, and that is a very young DL. Weaver becomes the old man at 27 next year start of the season. Would it be to much to think they take both Branch and Okoye? Now that would be a DL. Weaver Okoye Branch Williams. The rest of the defense would still suck other than Ryans and Robinson, but the DL would be special.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Come on now, Mario has been hurt and was a very slow starter. He was overwhelmed the first 4 weeks. Once they put him in one place and gave him a script, he has been OK. If the danged foot and a lot of double teams had not slowed him down. Put a huge body athletic type next to Mario and watch QBs and O linemen become happy footed ferrets. Mario would move to double digit sacks and the interior will become a place teams avoid.

I agree if we get lucky we get Amobi Okoye in the second, and that is a very young DL. Weaver becomes the old man at 27 next year start of the season. Would it be to much to think they take both Branch and Okoye? Now that would be a DL. Weaver Okoye Branch Williams. The rest of the defense would still suck other than Ryans and Robinson, but the DL would be special.
I like the way you think, if only it could happen that way

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-13-2006   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

one more thing about this draft. you have to look @ its strength, which always depends on the underclassman opting to turn pro & if Branch declares DT's would be above average. last year was QB's, LB's & DE's, of which the Texans got a couple in Mario & DeMeco. its dangerous to force needs into the equation when the ends don't justify the means, you have to tackle the situation

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-13-2006   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

which would be greater-

Mario/Travis/Weaver/Gaines or Mario/Branch/Weaver/Peek

the side by side combo of Mario/Branch would create match-up problems, Weaver is solid & a platoon of Babin & Peek would be dangerous. Travis is a rotational tackle, average at best but when healthy solid enough I guess.

Branch is a monster like Henderson & Stroud in Jacksonville you can build a defense around them, Mario & Branch would offer a similar scenero & possibly greater upside.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read